Which one do you like better? Yamato 1/48 and 1/60 v. 2

ff95gj

Do You Prefer the 1/60v2 or the 1/48 VF-1 Valkryie?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Prefer the 1/60v2 or the 1/48 VF-1 Valkryie?

• I own both and prefer the 1/48.
    • I own both and prefer the 1/60v2.
    • I have not compared directly, but prefer the 1/48.
    • I have not compared directly, but prefer the 1/60v2.

[Edit by Hurin -- Poll added]

I have been collecting the 1/48 lines and am happy with my purchases. To me, it is a pleasure to look upon the stacked big boxes which definitely look like collectors' items (especially those of the VF-1S(F), VF-1A(H) and VF-1A(M)).

And then, Yamato is repeating the whole process again with a new line of 1/60. Unarguably, it is an improvement over the 1/48 models, and I gave in and decided to pay a monthly fee to Yamato in the coming few years.

However, personally I am still rather fond of the 1/48 series:

- Size does matter. It just doesn't feel the same. Imagine a PG Gundam and a MG Gundam. The latest MG may sport a nicer refined design, but the PG just has its unique charm. Look at those big boosters of the FAST pack!

- I know both of them are TOYS; but to me the 1/48 version looks more a collectors' item, and the 1/60 more a toy. Both from the views of packaging and the model itself.

- The 1/60 is revised to be more balanced, and so in particular the chest plate size has been reduced. However, I like the 1/48 chect plate design better somewhat for feeling more towering and powerful.

Of course I know the 1/60 has many merits too, and also going 1/60 means Yamato is bringing in units that they wouldn't produce in 1/48 otherwise. I just want to point out that the 1/48 hasn't lost its value entirely. At least to me. I am wondering if anyone shares the same thought with me, or most people think 1/60 wins hands down in every aspect?

Edited by Hurin
Poll added.

The 1/60 fixes nearly everything that was wrong on the 1/48. The 1/48 had a huge chest, huge legs, and skinny arms with a hand the exact same size as the new 1/60. The 1/60 has an appearance reminiscent of the way it was portrayed in the animation, and has a more balanced look. The arms are not skinny or tiny, the chest is not bulging and huge, and same with the legs. The head has more range of motion. The only advantages that the 1/48 had are a shoulder section that I have never heard of breakages on, and an easier way of getting the hip bar secured/removed in battroid mode. The 1/60's excellent qualities are tainted by the design flaw inherent in the shoulder hinge. Had that been rectified before production we would have had a solid winner here. As it is, it's "almost there".

The hip bar removal in battroid mode is not a pain in the ass as I thought it would be. Just pull on the back which in turn angles the swing bar, then simultaneously swivel both legs down, this will pop out the flap, then merely push up on the hip bar to get it out. That's it.

The both have their own faults. The 1/48 has the problems that shin listed, however the 1/60 v.2 head placement in battroid is just wrong. Also, the back pack lock is a visible eyesore in gerwalk and the the fuselage antenna rubs against the tail fins in battroid/gerwalk... especially if you attempt to use the back pack latch or if the FAST packs are attached. The 1/60 also has big unsightly holes on the back of the calves and on the underside of the nose cone. The paint on the shoulder has a tendency to chip as well.

Version 1 all the way!!!!

No really I do still like my version 1 Yamato's (maybe I am the only one), I have 4 1/48's and really dont feel like I need more. And I really thought I would get the V2 VF-1J Hikaru but after the arm scare and I dont think it is all that great looking in battroid (battroid guy). Plus I have it in V1 1/60 and 1/48 already, so I decided not to get it. I am grateful that they have strayed away from the vf-*, love the vf-* to death but I have now loved it to death! Keep the other birds and mech coming Yamato.

I do have to admit though if they make a good looking vt-1 and ve-1 I might have to get them. Maybe, if the arm problem is fixed perhaps, ugh its hard to justify more of the same...

Spiff is most definitely NOT mad... the first 1/60s looked even more balanced than the current 1/60 series. It was their ugly hip-joint casing and non-perfect transformation that was their true Archilles Heel. But for realists, the new 1/60 offers scale compatibility in addition to PT gimmick. Some MWers have the right idea: collect mostly new 1/60 to flesh out a 'holistic' in-scale Macross collection, then selectively keep a few 1/48s that they really like.

Based on looks only, I would say the 1/60 v2s got it, although with its faults plus the size actually is alright to me. The antenna and tail fin pressed against each other really bothers me though. If I had a huge amount of display space and a bit more extra cash, I would probably lean more on the 1/48s, despite the huge chest and small hands (I would probably let them sit half gerwalk/fighter).

Edited by adrianop

1/48's for me. I honestly like the sculpt of the 1/48 better, wide chest and all. there are a few little details that I like on the 1/60 (proper foot detail, engraved intake cover detail) but overall, it just doesn't look as good.

but mostly I like the 1/48 because it's 1/48 scale.I like building 1/48th scale military jet's and it's cool to display my VF-1's with them. 1/60's just such an odd scale. other than the couple of valks I have in that scale the only other thing I own that size is a PG gundam. everything else is 1/48, 1/72, 1/100, or 1/144.

I have been collecting the 1/48 lines and am happy with my purchases. To me, it is a pleasure to look upon the stacked big boxes which definitely look like collectors' items (especially those of the VF-1S(F), VF-1A(H) and VF-1A(M)).

And then, Yamato is repeating the whole process again with a new line of 1/60. Unarguably, it is an improvement over the 1/48 models, and I gave in and decided to pay a monthly fee to Yamato in the coming few years.

However, personally I am still rather fond of the 1/48 series:

- Size does matter. It just doesn't feel the same. Imagine a PG Gundam and a MG Gundam. The latest MG may sport a nicer refined design, but the PG just has its unique charm. Look at those big boosters of the FAST pack!

- I know both of them are TOYS; but to me the 1/48 version looks more a collectors' item, and the 1/60 more a toy. Both from the views of packaging and the model itself.

- The 1/60 is revised to be more balanced, and so in particular the chest plate size has been reduced. However, I like the 1/48 chect plate design better somewhat for feeling more towering and powerful.

Of course I know the 1/60 has many merits too, and also going 1/60 means Yamato is bringing in units that they wouldn't produce in 1/48 otherwise. I just want to point out that the 1/48 hasn't lost its value entirely. At least to me. I am wondering if anyone shares the same thought with me, or most people think 1/60 wins hands down in every aspect?

i like bouth but the 1/60 v2 is looking better with the fully posible hands and better transformation and how its more posible

I'd go 1/60 V2 by a hair... and just a hair. I much prefer its size as owning multiple 1/48s sucked up way too much free space (I'm glad I sold off so many of my 1/48s... it's like a got a whole new closet out of it). The way the reflex missiles fit perfectly on the 1/60 V2 and, if you don't have shoulder issues, the 1/60 V2 just feels like a more polished product.

If I had to pick one, I'd say the 1/60 v.2 just from the standpoint of overall anime-accuracy and potential for a complete line. It just irks me that they FUBARed the whole neck area to accomodate 2-seaters, and that didn't even result in an accurate looking VF-1D (thusfar). I would be more irked if/when my 1/60 v.2 shoulders break.

The 1/48 is more fun to play with, is more durable, looks more menacing in battroid mode, and looks more sleek and sexy in fighter mode. You gotta have a few of these.

I generally agree with everything Shin Denetsu wrote.

But the 1/48 has the following advantages, which arguably were impossible to implement on the 1/60:

1) Antena in Gerwalk mode

2) Holster strap for Gunpod

However, the chicken hands on the 1/48 are - in retrospect - a joke; and Yamato have really gone to bat with this 1/60. Also, it's nice to be able to purchase the Valkyrie + Super and Strike parts all together for a relatively affordible price.

Also - and this is a big important thing IMO - it's in scale with all the rest. Now only do you get the feel for the VF-1 as the heroic underdog. Put him next to your Quid Rau, next to your SV-51 in battroid mode - staring up at the gargantuan enemy - and it's really moving and cool.

All around I say the 1/60 is better than the 1/48 for the above reasons.

Pete

The 1/48 is more fun to play with, is more durable, looks more menacing in battroid mode, and looks more sleek and sexy in fighter mode. You gotta have a few of these.

It's only more durable in the shoulder area. The 1/60 does not have any BP8 issue, so with regards to durability it may actually even. Both have 1 part that can be destroyed rather easily. With that said, I will say that the BP8 issue can be avoided much easier than the 1/60 shoulders. As for menacing in battroid mode I disagree, the new 1/60 is more poseable and can be put into more dynamic poses. Also the added head articulation is to it's benefit here. As for fighter mode, the only sleekness I see on the 1/48 is the longer nose, the arms going below the legs destroys the sleekness for me.

1) Antena in Gerwalk mode

2) Holster strap for Gunpod

Both of which are not really needed for a guy like me. The gunstrap, lets face it, was a pain in the ass to attach, easy to break, and hell I don't even know where mine is anymore. The antenna was nice but..not necessary to me.

It's only more durable in the shoulder area. The 1/60 does not have any BP8 issue, so with regards to durability it may actually even. Both have 1 part that can be destroyed rather easily. With that said, I will say that the BP8 issue can be avoided much easier than the 1/60 shoulders. As for menacing in battroid mode I disagree, the new 1/60 is more poseable and can be put into more dynamic poses. Also the added head articulation is to it's benefit here. As for fighter mode, the only sleekness I see on the 1/48 is the longer nose, the arms going below the legs destroys the sleekness for me.

Both of which are not really needed for a guy like me. The gunstrap, lets face it, was a pain in the ass to attach, easy to break, and hell I don't even know where mine is anymore. The antenna was nice but..not necessary to me.

bp8 on the 1/48 maybe fragile but it looks like it was designed in such a way where fragility is an issue. The shoulder on the 1/60 v.2 looks like it might just be a manufacturing issue.

I agree that the 1/60 v.2 is far more posable especially with FAST packs on, the 1/48 has some severe balance issues once the armor packs are attached.

That's one thing i really wanted to find out with the v.2 1/60 is how the medium warhead packs align themselves on the wings when the VF is in Battroid mode.

I have pushed the 1/48 to it's limits to make it actually look cool with the Hikaru final mission scheme -

gallery_3118_46_2457870.jpg

gallery_3118_46_2590200.jpg

There just isn't enough room for the poses i want to do... i hope the V.2 can deliver. :D

Already know the v.2 can do a good rifle pose for taking out Boldoza.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

They both have their merit, like many people have said, but i have a real soft spot for the 1/48's, just don't us them in battroid mode. My 1/48 Super Max (Miriya will be on the way soon!) looks amazing in the gerwalk and figher modes but battroid....just doesn't "feel" right. If i wanted something in battroid i'd definately look at a 1/60 as they really do look a lot more cohesive than the 1/48's.

Now all i have to do is buy a better display case with more room to fit in miriya :)

As for menacing in battroid mode I disagree, the new 1/60 is more poseable and can be put into more dynamic poses.

I think when ghostryder mentioned "menacing", he didn't refer to how posable it is, but rather how the model is designed to look. At least I feel it that way.

Again, I know the 1/60 v2 is revised to look more balanced; but the bigger chest plate of 1/48 models gave me that menacing feel (I used "towering" in my original post) that I would miss in the coming 1/60 series. I know this is all about personal preference, and I am one of the minorities from what I've learnt in this thread. But I do feel it that way! :blink:

I think when ghostryder mentioned "menacing", he didn't refer to how posable it is, but rather how the model is designed to look. At least I feel it that way.

Yes but I was referring to how the added articulation aids in making more dynamic poses which lends itself to looking menacing. It just looks deadly, the way I can get the head angled down, looking like it is going to kill something. The 1/48 had a huge chest but those arms are skinny and frail looking, so the look is halfway there, and the rest no. Least to me it is.

I still do not have the v.2 1/60. I just cancelled my preorder. And my car died today!!! I have to take out extra loans to get a cheap honda so I will not have a v.2 1/60 anytime soon. Probably wont until the VF-1D which I will make happen somehow.

However I have to say that my enthusiasm for them has gone down. I will get one for sure but I just love the 1/48s so much and they are in scale with so many things which makes them perfect for diorama. At this point I am looking to expand my whole collection into a giant diorama and it is so cool to have stuff in scale. Sure parts of the collection will have to be multi/non-scale but I am happy to have a pure 1/48 section. And it is close enough to the 1:43 and O scale that t really opens the doors to endless possiblities.

Planes, trains and valks, oh my! Cant wait for the pictures!

Thanks Spiff!

I cant wait to be able to afford to make it! I actually did buy some materials and supplies before I went entirely broke earlier this week and I will post the progress up here. But it may take me some time. I am a beginner at this scratch build styrene and foam board thing.

Edited by miriya

As for fighter mode, the only sleekness I see on the 1/48 is the longer nose, the arms going below the legs destroys the sleekness for me.

It's not just the longer nose, the chest plate and intakes have a more shallow profile on the 1/48 than on the 1/60 v.2. Yes, the latter exacerbates the low-hanging arm effect, but they also both give the fighter an overall sleeker look. To me, the 1/60's fatter chest plate (presumably to cover the taller canopy) and the larger intakes (which help hide the arms) give it a chunky blocky look, especially from a front perspective view.

One thing for sure, the 1/48 wins in fighter mode with fastpacks on (IMO). In this mode, the hanging arms are not a factor, and the big long nose helps.

I have both and like both for different reasons, I just wish they could have combined the best attributes of both to make the ultimate rendition of the VF-1.

I like the 1/48 a bit more. It's not like I think the 1/60 v.2 is horrible, bad, unattractive, etc. The biggest difference between the two for me is that the 1/48 is just plain bigger. I like the bigger toy. Can’t explain why, I just do. Secondly I like that the 1/48’s are chunkier than the 1/60. I know that’s not line art accurate but it doesn’t matter to me. Sitting here in real life right in front of me the chunky look of the 1/48 looks great to me. I also have clown hands (I think that is the term for them) for all of my 1/48’s too so I don’t have that detracting from their overall look.

I do like the 1/60 v.2 a lot though. They are very nice. You can tell they have been updated and it certainly doesn’t break my heart that they cost less than the 1/48’s.

At this point I have all of the 1/48’s except the credit card Valk and the limited weathered jobbies. If I had the chance, and for a fair price I would pick them up though to finish off the line of 1/48’s. The only 1/60’s I will be buying are the ones that were not offered in the 1/48 scale. I’m certainly not going to become a 1/60 completest, but I will be happy to try and be a completest across the two scales. For example I just got the 1/60 v.2 VF-1A with S&S Higgy. I will definitely be getting all of the two seaters also. I can’t think of any more variants that will be coming out in 1/60 that were not available in 1/48 though. Are there?

I like the 1/48 a bit more. It's not like I think the 1/60 v.2 is horrible, bad, unattractive, etc. The biggest difference between the two for me is that the 1/48 is just plain bigger. I like the bigger toy. Can’t explain why, I just do. Secondly I like that the 1/48’s are chunkier than the 1/60. I know that’s not line art accurate but it doesn’t matter to me. Sitting here in real life right in front of me the chunky look of the 1/48 looks great to me. I also have clown hands (I think that is the term for them) for all of my 1/48’s too so I don’t have that detracting from their overall look.

I do like the 1/60 v.2 a lot though. They are very nice. You can tell they have been updated and it certainly doesn’t break my heart that they cost less than the 1/48’s.

At this point I have all of the 1/48’s except the credit card Valk and the limited weathered jobbies. If I had the chance, and for a fair price I would pick them up though to finish off the line of 1/48’s. The only 1/60’s I will be buying are the ones that were not offered in the 1/48 scale. I’m certainly not going to become a 1/60 completest, but I will be happy to try and be a completest across the two scales. For example I just got the 1/60 v.2 VF-1A with S&S Higgy. I will definitely be getting all of the two seaters also. I can’t think of any more variants that will be coming out in 1/60 that were not available in 1/48 though. Are there?

Only thing we know for certain are the two-seaters.

I like the 1/60 v.2 better. I like the way both look, and I don't have too many complaints about either, but I like the consistency of scale, that of 1/60. While I was a fan of the 1/48, I only bought 2, and I'm glad I did. The fact that they didn't match up to the other lines of Yamato didn't appeal to me. Oddly enough, I didn't buy, but only 1 1/60 ver.1. During that time, I was a 1/55 junkie. But after these new 1/60s, I'm solely on the 1/60 scale train.

I can’t think of any more variants that will be coming out in 1/60 that were not available in 1/48 though. Are there?

I am still waiting for the Kakizaki TV version to come out! Now my TV squad can be completed!

Sometimes I wonder if Yamato would care and dare to release Angelbird (no offense to AB lovers, but apparently this is an obscure model), why wouldn't they release Max TV/ Kakizaki TV first?

just out of curiosity i finally snagged a ver 2 1/60.. and yes it does feel sturdy and playable than the 1/48s.. but still the later wins my heart..

being more of an aesthetic collector who enjoys watching over my collectibles, rather than bashing/playing them, and being more of a "fighter mode fan" the 1/48s surely are far better than the new 1/60s..

i sold my 1/60 ver2 1S two weeks after getting it..

V2 for me. like maverick, I just like looking at them from my shelf along with my other collectors. and " SCALE " is important to me, love to see a uniform display. and yes the overall aesthetics of the V2 is much better IMHO....

My thoughts exactly.

funny thing for me w/ the 1/48 is that what attracts it to me is what is prohibiting me from getting more (only have 1 and going the 1/60 v2 route)... the size. it is definitely better in fighter mode because of the sheer size, but because of it's size, it is more expensive and takes up so much space esp. in fighter mode coz of its length and wingspan... gotta get a bigger house if i will get the 1/48s, but then i won't have any more dough to spend for toys :wacko:

Edited by m0n5t3r

I don't own the 1/60 but i'm more into the 1/48. . its what I started with and it seems more in-scale with the other 1/60 macross plus and zero planes. I know that vf-1 are supposed to be smaller than the rest but it seems midgetlike that way.

No contest: 1/60 v.2

Overall fantastic sculpt, sleeker leg design, amazing gerwalk mode, better articulation, better arm and FAST pack locking mechanism in fighter-mode, and great size.

The 1/48, to me, is the new chunky monkey. XD

Selling all my old 1/48 valks and replacing them with the superior 1/60 counterparts.

Edited by OmegaD3k