Podcast: Uzumaki

Ginrai

On the other hand, it happens in othe countries too, Macross II is just a remake of Roman Holiday... but with ROBOTS and killer bikini-singers.

We wll discuss this at a later point in time.

Will they let you have internet access in the asylum?? (joke)

Taksraven

This is a podcast about Uzumaki, the live action J-horror movie based on a manga. It totallllly blows.

http://www.destroyallpodcastsdx.com

I'm still kind of shocked it wasn't remade into an American movie starring Jessica Alba or something.

You didn't like it? I didn't think it was great or anything... a touch on the weird side, but better than other "masterpieces" like Kairo (Pulse).

You didn't like it? I didn't think it was great or anything... a touch on the weird side, but better than other "masterpieces" like Kairo (Pulse).

I like "Uzumaki" quite a bit... sorta Lovecraft by way of Twin Peaks. I like the little touches, how spirals appear in the air, the clouds, just at the corner of your eye. Granted, it makes a little more sense if you've read the manga, but I find it creepy and fun.

I like "Uzumaki" quite a bit... sorta Lovecraft by way of Twin Peaks. I like the little touches, how spirals appear in the air, the clouds, just at the corner of your eye. Granted, it makes a little more sense if you've read the manga, but I find it creepy and fun.

I thought the movie totally sucked. There was zero tension, zero suspense, and it was mostly really slow and boring with nothing happening. When something finally happened, it suddenly switched to spastic MTV editing so you couldn't even see what was happening. A bad episode of X-Files is more effective horror.

I didn't read the manga, but Zuey sure thought this failed to recapture it.

I thought the movie totally sucked. There was zero tension, zero suspense, and it was mostly really slow and boring with nothing happening. When something finally happened, it suddenly switched to spastic MTV editing so you couldn't even see what was happening. A bad episode of X-Files is more effective horror.

I didn't read the manga, but Zuey sure thought this failed to recapture it.

That pretty much sums it up. I read the manga awhile back and I loved it. When I found out it was made into a movie, I put it at the top of my Netflix queue, and was severely disappointed when I saw the film. I had to force myself to finish watching it. I really think that if I didn't read the manga first, I MIGHT have gotten a little more enjoyment out of this film, but not much.

I beg to differ. Beverly Hillbillies The Movie was 15 years ago!

Maybe so, but at the time it was a relatively isolated case. That was during an era when it was more likely for things to go the other way. (in other words, successful films being converted into crap TV series, ie Alien Nation, MASH, Stargate, etc.....)

Taksraven

That pretty much sums it up. I read the manga awhile back and I loved it. When I found out it was made into a movie, I put it at the top of my Netflix queue, and was severely disappointed when I saw the film. I had to force myself to finish watching it. I really think that if I didn't read the manga first, I MIGHT have gotten a little more enjoyment out of this film, but not much.

I was totally the opposite. I saw the film first, then read the manga 'cause I liked the film. While it gave some good background, the manga kinda dragged on and on for me. Since it was originally serialized, all the events are one-shot, resolved in that chapter, and it lost the sense of a cohesive story. I found the ending totally silly

with the whole town getting sucked into a spiral

. The movie presented, for me, a more interesting picture of the madness infecting the town, then the supernatural changes start, and finally everything falls apart. I thought the montage of images at the end was well done too.

This is what I love about discussions on art and media. People can experience the exact same thing and have totally different reactions. ^_^