Macross Chronicle Translations

Gubaba

(...)

And once I finish that it's on to Macross the First Chapters 3 and 4, before moving on to "Misa Hayase: White Reminiscences." :wacko:

I understand this feeling. On top of the pile of Macross Chronicle translations (see linky above), I've also got Great Mechanics DX.9, Hobbyhand Book, and TIAS:M+ on the go! Thankfully Great Mechanics DX.10 (released this past week) has zero Macross content.

Finished: Tech VF N

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35166#msg35166

I wasn't planning to do it completely, but the darned thing just turned out to have so many interesting tidbits of info! (Which is kinda unusual with most of the other sheets that I've translated from this publication).

Just to clarify (as sometimes these things don't tend to always come across in the translation:

there are 3 types of VF:

general purpose (able to be used in space just as well as atmosphere)

space or atmosphere use (VF is better in one regime, but still able to operate in the other)

exclusive/dedicated space or atmospheric use (VF is able to work in only one regime, and probably not at all in the other)

That is, of course, my impression from reading the terminology (専用 et al) and it may or may not be exactly what the author intended.

Anyhow, I found the VF-11/VF-14 fly-off interesting. Perhaps it's comparible to the F-16 vs. F-17 cum F-18 fly off (this would be considering the AVF fly-off as comparible to the F-22 vs F-23 fly-off), not to mention some more details on the VF-9 and VF-14 (will they be getting their own pages?!?!)

The mentioning of, what I perceive, given the terms used, as a variant of the VF-5, is also eye-opening.

It seems to confirm the idea that VFs became specialized in particular areas until the development lines converged with the VF-11, much like how jet fighters became specialized from the 1960s thru the 1990s becoming multi-role. Only confirms something we already suspected.

Not quite Macross Chronicle per se, but I finished the VF-1 section in the Great Mechanics.DX 9 article: VF Evolutionary Theory: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g33518#msg33518

There are some interesting things in it, especially the oblique references to other VFs and Zentraadi equipment. Perhaps most eye-opening, pretty much in all of the recent translations of recently published material on the VF-1 is the almost negative light the VF-1 is portrayed in: essentially it's "it was the first VF, and it had a bunch of flaws". Of course, it's a good justification for the plethora of variable craft designs seen relatively quickly thereafter in the timeline. Nevertheless, it's surprising.

On MC translations: about 2/3 of the way through the VB-6. I kinda ran out of steam at the end of the long weekend last week and couldn't quite finish it...

There are some interesting things in it, especially the oblique references to other VFs and Zentraadi equipment. Perhaps most eye-opening, pretty much in all of the recent translations of recently published material on the VF-1 is the almost negative light the VF-1 is portrayed in: essentially it's "it was the first VF, and it had a bunch of flaws". Of course, it's a good justification for the plethora of variable craft designs seen relatively quickly thereafter in the timeline. Nevertheless, it's surprising.

I like this. It sure beats the occasional ridiculous implication (And explicit statement in the Macross Frontier manga, as I recall) that the VF-1 may be old but is still great all around and able to keep up with the new stuff. There's loving classic designs, and then there's just dismissing progress.

I've been planning to start translating the glossary pages for a while, but have been holding off since I've got too much on my translation plate. However, #32 had something that made me drop everything and charge right at the translation: confirmation of a line of text in the MF novels about a certain SDFM bridge operator :shock:

Top of page http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2349.0 (contains 01 to 08's entry names only).

Page 08: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35350#msg35350 (scroll to very end - Kim Kabirof)

I've been thinking that I'll attempt to try one glossary entry per day. We'll see if I'll be able to keep to that schedule...

I'm getting Error 500 Sketchley.

Edit: Repulsed? I guess news travel very slowly back to Earth.

Scenario:

Earth

Macross 13 surrounded by Vajra

Kim: Initiate TRANSFORMATION!

Bridge Bunny 1: Transfor...

Bridge Bunny 2: ...mation?

(2 mins later... Macross 13 fully transformed)

Kim: Prepare to fire Macross cannon!

Macross 13 points BFG at Vajra swarm.

Suddenly Vajra turn tail leaving Earth.

Bridge Bunny 1: They're running away!

Bridge Bunny 2: Captain you did it! We scared them off!

Kim: Eh?

Saratoga II VF-X Ravens Squadron leader Aegis Focker: Raven 1 to Delta 1 What the hell happened?!

Algenicus Dancing Skull Squadron Purple Skull Moaramia Fallayna Jenius: Giant bugs... I thought Papa and Mama was pulling my leg....

Vahalla III VF-X ace pilot: ....

Eden

Orbit

Isamu Dyson in a YF-24 Evolution: Aww come on I didn't get to kill anything!

Macross 11

Macross 11 Radio: They did it! Fire Bomber American has driven off the alien armada!

LOL

Anyway what's GERWALKroid?

Edited by RedWolf

I'm getting Error 500 Sketchley.

set your browser to display Japanese encoded text?

PS: this thread is for Macross Chronicle translations only. Fanfics go in another forum.

Edited by sketchley

Anyway what's GERWALKroid?

The most accurate romanization of the name of one of the non-transformable mecha from Macross II. It's basically a GERWALK-pattern destroid toting a shitload of missiles. So far Chronicle has only covered it in the Glossary sheet.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Finished VB-6: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2344.0

It held out some juicy tidbits of information right up to the end!

Work proceeding on glossary: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2349.0

(I'm scratching my head over why the Guantánamo class is listed as the ARMD 362... and the stuff on the movie version of the ARMD doesn't really clarify things. Are they simply remodeled ARMD specifically made for the Macross? Or are they a class of ships produced to act independantly OR attached to SDFN class ships? Do they, or do they not include fold equipment? (I recall translating somewhere that the DYRL ARMD have the capability of having fold equipment installed, but don't.)

Moving on to the VF-171... and hopefully the VT-1C.

I've been planning to start translating the glossary pages for a while, but have been holding off since I've got too much on my translation plate. However, #32 had something that made me drop everything and charge right at the translation: confirmation of a line of text in the MF novels about a certain SDFM bridge operator :shock:

Top of page http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2349.0 (contains 01 to 08's entry names only).

Page 08: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35350#msg35350 (scroll to very end - Kim Kabirof)

Quite the honor for Kim if one really thinks about it...

(I'm scratching my head over why the Guantánamo class is listed as the ARMD 362... and the stuff on the movie version of the ARMD doesn't really clarify things. Are they simply remodeled ARMD specifically made for the Macross? Or are they a class of ships produced to act independantly OR attached to SDFN class ships? Do they, or do they not include fold equipment? (I recall translating somewhere that the DYRL ARMD have the capability of having fold equipment installed, but don't.)

Ship registration number and function classification perhaps?

(I'm scratching my head over why the Guantánamo class is listed as the ARMD 362...

I believe they are using that particular ARMD as the example. Some of the original lineart used ARMD 362 so I'm guessing they're picking on that particular ARMD.

and the stuff on the movie version of the ARMD doesn't really clarify things. Are they simply remodeled ARMD specifically made for the Macross? Or are they a class of ships produced to act independantly OR attached to SDFN class ships? Do they, or do they not include fold equipment? (I recall translating somewhere that the DYRL ARMD have the capability of having fold equipment installed, but don't.)

I'm looking at it this way, if they are marked for a specific series, that's where they apply to. When I first saw the multiple entries for SDF-1 Macross, the second thing that I noticed was that each was marked with TV, DYRL, and II. So what they say about SDF-1 for the TV series doesn't necessarily apply to the DYRL?, nor II. I would approach the ARMD entries for TV and DYRL? the same way. In other words, I'm sort-of sandboxing the glossary entries to their respective series. The movie version of the ARMDs only apply to DYRL?. The TV show ARMDs only apply to SDFM.

(...) I would approach the ARMD entries for TV and DYRL? the same way. (...)

I'm getting the impression that it may work in some or many cases, but not all. For example: the muddling of the DYRL designed ARMDs in the SDFN that appears in Macross F. (Of course, I'm saying this before translating the glossary entry for the SDFN and before we've even seen a page devoted to the SDFN; if such a page is forthcoming...)

Anyhow, this'll make Graham happy:

VF-171 Nightmare Plus: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35423#msg35423

Still a work in progress, but I just translated one hell of a loaded paragraph.

In short: in addition to the previously known VF-171 and RV-171, there's also a VB-171, a sniping VF-171, an electronic warfare VF-171*, and an unmanned fighter commanding VF-171 :!:

*I translated the term as considered, but the term could also be translated as "thought of".

Another translating question has come up, that my internet-fu isn't solving. This is re: glossary sheet 01's RC-4E Rabbit: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35343#msg35343

I've translated the term as "Dimiddo Bunny", but I don't think that's the best rendering. In Japanese it's ディミッド・バニー. I'm guessing it could be a typo, and was meant to be ティミッド (Timid), but does anyone know of a rabbit or bunny with a name similar to Dimiddo?

I'm getting the impression that it may work in some or many cases, but not all. For example: the muddling of the DYRL designed ARMDs in the SDFN that appears in Macross F.

I'll go back and check the issues for the ARMD entries. But I still say sand boxing the articles might be the best to maintain some kind of sanity.

(Of course, I'm saying this before translating the glossary entry for the SDFN and before we've even seen a page devoted to the SDFN; if such a page is forthcoming...)

<_< Yeh, it might help to read it, first. It said that the SDFN's purpose was the investigate and secure routes ahead of Megaroad-01. It did say they look similar to Macross. Didn't see anything about the ARMDs in that Glossary entry. So I can't give you a good answer to your question about the ARMDs. :unsure:

I've translated the term as "Dimiddo Bunny", but I don't think that's the best rendering. In Japanese it's ディミッド・バニー. I'm guessing it could be a typo, and was meant to be ティミッド (Timid), but does anyone know of a rabbit or bunny with a name similar to Dimiddo?

It might be a typo. http://www.scribd.com/doc/355191/The-Timid-Bunny

Hmm... It could be outside Macross Class and Megaroad Class vessels the Guantanamo replaced the ARMD Class in its other roles but is still naval registration designated as ARMD.

In Macross Plus there is a model of a ship that appears to be a cross between an ARMD and a Guantanamo.

post-9033-1254844387_thumb.jpg

Hmm... It could be outside Macross Class and Megaroad Class vessels the Guantanamo replaced the ARMD Class in its other roles but is still naval registration designated as ARMD.

The Guantanamos are AKA "Advance ARMDs" and derived from the ARMDs, according the entry on Macross 7's ships in Issue #16. But the Guantanamos are a different class of ARMD (hence Guantanamo class). That still doesn't clear up sketchley's issue between the TV series ARMDs and the DYRL? ARMDs, as I understand it. Those 2 are suppose to be the same class yet have enough changes to differentiate the 2, hence his confusion about are they a new class or a remodel. As I've said, it might be best to keep them separate until this is clarified.

The Guantanamos are AKA "Advance ARMDs" and derived from the ARMDs, according the entry on Macross 7's ships in Issue #16. But the Guantanamos are a different class of ARMD (hence Guantanamo class). That still doesn't clear up sketchley's issue between the TV series ARMDs and the DYRL? ARMDs, as I understand it. Those 2 are suppose to be the same class yet have enough changes to differentiate the 2, hence his confusion about are they a new class or a remodel. As I've said, it might be best to keep them separate until this is clarified.

Hmmm... you've said something that got me thinking... different classes of ARMD.

1st: SDFM ARMD

2nd: DYRL ARMD (going by other canon sources, the movie is supposedly filmed in the 2030s, using ships/vehicles/equipment that exists at that time in the main chronology. Couple that with the DYRL ARMD stylized arms of the SDFN class)

nth: M+ ARMD (if that's what they prove to be. I'm not just referring to the one on the desk, but the one's outside the windows floating in space)

nth+1: M7 ARMD: Guantanamo class

Hmm...

... and finished the VF-171 Nightmare Plus. http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35423#msg35423

There were a few interesting revelations (such as the engine nacelle weapon pallets and a choice of gun pod) that I wished were included in the front data block for ease... ah well. Sadly the RVF-171 isn't really developed. Hopefully the RVF-171EX (or if one won't come to be, the VF-171EX) sheet will rectify that.

Notes: Thanks to Gubaba for editing help. I found some parts humorous as I was reading it. It's also nice to know why things got downgraded on the C-version. That's it for this article.

7 Mechanical Sheet, UN sheet 06a

VF-11C Thunderbolt

Standard Armament

The C-type has a single rear anti-aircraft pulse laser gun and a gun pod, which differs from the B-type, as standard equipment. In addition, it is possible to equipped a large-sized missile in the leg weapon bay, like the reaction warhead used for attacking the center of the enemy base in "Operation Stargazer".

Battroid

The change from the B-type is not seen in the structure of Battroid form. If the canopy cover was changed, performance limits of the fuselage itself (the overall performance is improved with the updated avionics) is equal to the B-type. However, The C-type standard equipment removed the bayonet from the gun pod, and this specification change is considered to originate with the B-type's gun pod (GU-15) having higher costs. As a result, it cannot be denied that the close-combat performance of the C-type, compared to the B-type, is inferior, and this was more or less [lit. almost] confirmed with the practical use in the Macross 7 fleet, in cases where it performed close-combat dog fighting in Battroid. The Battroid's primarily use of the gun pod was, seemingly, to maintain a wide field of fire.

As for the Super parts with the C-type during re-mass production where improvements [lit. repair] were applied, the exit ports of the micro-missile launchers (HMMM-Mk6) is decreased from 4 on each [lit. left and right] side on the B-type to 2 to reduce costs. As a result, rate-of-fire [lit. rapid fire] rates are inferior compared with the B-type Super Thunderbolt, although there is considered no big difference in the basic performance.

Follow-up notes: The internal leg bays are not listed in the grey box's Standard Armaments so I would consider them "optional components" specific to the C-version, and only the C-version.

Follow-up notes: The internal leg bays are not listed in the grey box's Standard Armaments so I would consider them "optional components" specific to the C-version, and only the C-version.

Erm... the data section ("grey box") doesn't have the engine nacelle internal equipment bays as a standard armament because the contents of which can be changed. The same thing came up with the VF-171's engine nacelle internal equipment bays.

I think it's safe to say that the data section is a general summary, but information is sprinkled throughout each page.

Also, I think the engine nacelle internal equipment bays are applicable to the VF-11B as well. Simply because the C version isn't that different, and it uses the exact same engines as the B version.

Finished: Chronicle Glossary 01: Armoured Pack ~ Atlantis Dome

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35343#msg35343

Some interesting tid-bits on Akusho, etc.. The part of the page that I'm most happy with (not my translation, just that it's part of the content) is the Macross Digital Mission VF-X character. Here's hoping that we'll get more non-animated series canon content in the remaining issues!

• 1 month later...

Finished Chronicle Mechanic: D7 Citizen 01a VT-1C Ostrich: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35985#msg35985

Not as much new information as I would like, but it does confirm some things.

It is intersting that the cruising range echoes information published in Great Mechanics DX 4; which I'm also translating: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2385.0

(work in progress. Relevant hard stats: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35718#msg35718 . I am quite surprised about the though limited, hard stats info on the VF-9 and VF-14, and the interesting stats for the VF-4 (correcting the typo in TiAtS:M+ in the process. 12 semi-conformal missiles, baby. T-w-e-l-v-e.)

It is intersting that the cruising range echoes information published in Great Mechanics DX 4; which I'm also translating: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2385.0

(work in progress. Relevant hard stats: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g35718#msg35718 . I am quite surprised about the though limited, hard stats info on the VF-9 and VF-14, and the interesting stats for the VF-4 (correcting the typo in TiAtS:M+ in the process. 12 semi-conformal missiles, baby. T-w-e-l-v-e.)

Wow, the VF-9 is *tiny*

Edited by Sketch

• 2 weeks later...

Started the "VF-171EX Nightmare Plus EX" sheet: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...g36137#msg36137

It's a shame that the data block doesn't indicate that the wing missiles are listed per hardpoint... though the images on the other side of the page pretty much state that the quantity is double. Hopefully the text on that side further clarifies things.

I'm happy that this sheet clarifies a bunch of names and the abilities of the missiles. The other side of the page also mentions the "large size MDE warheads", aka "Dimension Cutters" that some VF-171EX are seen sporting in the last couple of episodes of MF.