Macross Chronicle Translations

Gubaba

Oh shi... Eight Macross cannons? If Kinryuu didn't sortie Battle 7 wuld have been wrecked.

The Varauta Fleet Flagship Space Carrier is 4,320 meters. That makes it the longest conventional warship in the SK Macross continuity. (By conventional warship I don't mean moon size fortresses or emmigration colonies)

Good work sketch.

10 gigaton reaction missiles? That's definitely quite a large yield for a weapon in Macross. Not that I doubt it at all, it's just unusual to see that kind of figure finally published.

I'd guess they were using the antimatter reaction weapons rather than the nuclear reaction weapons? The 10 gigaton figure would make more sense then (and may actually be low-yield for an antimatter weapon).

Also, thank you very much, Sketchley!

Re: EX-Gear speed-- I wouldn't want to fly at 500 km/h without a full face shield, thats for sure :p And even with full body protection, a birdstrike would almost certainly be fatal at that speeds!

Edited by edwin3060

I'd guess they were using the antimatter reaction weapons rather than the nuclear reaction weapons? The 10 gigaton figure would make more sense then (and may actually be low-yield for an antimatter weapon).

Some internet research suggests that 10 gigatons would be on the order of 500 pounds of antimatter. Together with the 500 pounds of matter it's being collided with, note. You also have to contain the stuff stably, which is considerably more challenging than with conventional or nuclear explosives and so might mean the total warhead mass is significantly higher. You're not looking at a light weapon in any case.

(...) sketch.

Who's sketch? You mean this guy? http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showuser=1441

Re: the 10 gigaton reaction missiles: they contain 24 small warheads (call it the ultimate multi-warhead missile) and are anti-fleet missiles (I did a double take when I read that. Usually these things are anti-air, anti-fighter, or anti-ship. But anti-fleet?! That's some serious muscle.)

Who's sketch? You mean this guy? http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showuser=1441

Re: the 10 gigaton reaction missiles: they contain 24 small warheads (call it the ultimate multi-warhead missile) and are anti-fleet missiles (I did a double take when I read that. Usually these things are anti-air, anti-fighter, or anti-ship. But anti-fleet?! That's some serious muscle.)

Sorry I forgot about that guy existing. :lol:

Yeah well when you think about it Gepelnitch wasn't exactly awake and so is the rest of his gang at the beginning.

Pays to have extra fire power for those pesky Zentradi.

Chlore and her fleet showed they were still around.

Probably wouldn't mind fighting the Supervision Army replacements. Exsedol thought the Varauta fighters were familiar because of their paintjobs.

Given that the reaction missiles that Valkyries could carry in SW1 were effective anti-ship weapons, I'd expect that capital ships would have options that were heavier yet. Granted, it's probably meant to hit multiple ships in tight formation, not unlike the main gun on a Macross or similar vessel, but it seems in keeping with general ship design there.

• 3 weeks later...
Quickie scanlations from #18:

Chronicle: Mechanic MF Citizen 08a: EX-Gear (Extender Gear) http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2112

Chronicle: Mechanic M7 Barauta Fleet http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2113

[/url]

I did a little visual analylis

VarautaFleetFlagshipSpaceCarrier.png

:mellow: So those circles in front are the Anti-fleet Reaction missiles and those things at its side are the Macross cannons.

Frak! it must be the powerful warship in SK's Macross. Barring DE and MDE warheads.

Eight Macross cannons wow its like a mini-Grand Cannon.

Edited by RedWolf

I know it's not Chronicles, but could somebody please, please take a stab at translating the tech specs and background information paragraphs from the VF-25 Super Parts model kit.

I seem to remember somebody (azrael?), saying they would do it.

Really dying to know more about the Super Parts.

Graham

I know it's not Chronicles, but could somebody please, please take a stab at translating the tech specs and background information paragraphs from the VF-25 Super Parts model kit.

I seem to remember somebody (azrael?), saying they would do it.

Really dying to know more about the Super Parts.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/VF-25_Messiah

Thanks for the link! Is the weight of the Super pack a back calculation from the accelerations and thrust ratings? Also, didn't the shoulder missile pod data have a breakdown of the types of missiles (3 different types, IIRC) totalling up to 15 missiles in each shoulder pod?

Either way, the poorer than expected capabilities of the Super pack (initial 15 G acceleration, slower than the clean configuration) would explain why Alto jettisons his Super parts so often--- when maneuverability is more important than missiles, the Super parts are actually a drag (pun intended :p)

This also confirms that the Super parts are rocket powered (chemical propellant).

Re: VF-25G: I wish there would be a drum magazine toy for the sniper rifle! Maybe this will be shown in the movie? I wonder why they use gold in the ammunition though. Doesn't make sense.

Re: RVF-25: The translation of the range of the Fold radar as 1 light day, rather than as a detection at the speed of light, makes alot more sense as well.

Thanks again, Azrael!

Edited by edwin3060

Thanks for the link! Is the weight of the Super pack a back calculation from the accelerations and thrust ratings?

That's how it was written in the 1/72 manuals. You'll have to ask the creators if it was a calculation.

Also, didn't the shoulder missile pod data have a breakdown of the types of missiles (3 different types, IIRC) totalling up to 15 missiles in each shoulder pod?

No. It only mentions that they are a Remmington HMM-5A CIWS missile pod. That's it. The 1/72 kit manuals do not list ammo counts on the Super parts.

This also confirms that the Super parts are rocket powered (chemical propellant).

Nearly all FAST packs use chemical propellant. Even the main engines use fuel when in space. In atmosphere, they use air as a propellant. This has been know for quite some time.

I wonder why they use gold in the ammunition though. Doesn't make sense.

Ask the creators.

Re: RVF-25: The translation of the range of the Fold radar as 1 light day, rather than as a detection at the speed of light, makes alot more sense as well.

It's been written like that since the vol. 4 liner notes came out.

I wonder why they use gold in the ammunition though. Doesn't make sense.

Actually, it makes a decent amount of sense... it's an electromagnetic railgun, which works by passing an extremely large electrical current through the projectile, which interacts with the magnetic fields generated by the rails to accelerate the projectile. Gold is an excellent electrical conductor, so gold mixed with something more magnetically responsive would be an excellent material for railgun ammunition. Expensive as hell, but very effective.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Actually, it makes a decent amount of sense... it's an electromagnetic railgun, which works by passing an extremely large electrical current through the projectile, which interacts with the magnetic fields generated by the rails to accelerate the projectile. Gold is an excellent electrical conductor, so gold mixed with something more magnetically responsive would be an excellent material for railgun ammunition. Expensive as hell, but very effective.

Goes to show how farking rich Richard Bilrer is.

This old train loving and Minmay fanboy is the guy who Luca is afraid of monopolizing the galaxy.

That would make sense. If the projectile is accelerated by a railgun it doesn't need to be magnetic, I believe, just conductive. Coil guns require magnetic projectiles but those use different principles. Gold isn't as conductive as silver or even copper, but it's not far behind them and has a density comparable to tungsten or depleted uranium, meaning a much heavier round at the same size than silver would give.

As for the obvious expense of gold: there's a fair chance it isn't so rare in 2059. Once you get into space the possibility of finding large quantities goes rather sharply up, if you can for example find heavy metal rich asteroids long since ejected by a supernova, mine them with reclaimed Protoculture technology, etc. Zentradi factory satellites have mined planets' worth of metal for materials in the past to make those ships: presumably either gold was separated out as an impurity and you just have to figure out where it got ditched, or else they use them in Zentradi vessels and you mine it from the wreckage of old battles. Gold might not be cheap either, but I can see a case for it not being more expensive than a lot of the stuff that goes flying out of high end guns today. Especially in a sniper weapon that's not pumping hundreds of rounds out for every engagement.

Don't ask me what the "super-polymerized" part is, though. Polymers require covalent bonds, which don't happen generally in a metal and would presumably reduce its conductivity quite a lot even if they could.

Yea, but silver is a better conductor and obviously superconductors would be even better. Oh well. Gold is not too bad a choice I guess. I actually think a lower density material would be better in this case, since the gold is part of the cartridge i.e. doesn't follow the round downrange, and a lower density material would make it easier to accelerate.

Azrael:

There was some debate some time back on whether the Super parts still relied on conventional rocket technology, which is why I made my point-- while the main engines do use propellant, they are used far more efficiently as compared to the Super parts, which seem to be nothing more than high powered versions of the rockets that we use today (i.e. nothing to do with fusion, unlike the TRT main engines)

Yea, but silver is a better conductor and obviously superconductors would be even better. Oh well. Gold is not too bad a choice I guess. I actually think a lower density material would be better in this case, since the gold is part of the cartridge i.e. doesn't follow the round downrange, and a lower density material would make it easier to accelerate.

It seems pretty clear the gold is part of the bullet itself rather than a casing or sabot. Otherwise there'd be no point coating it in super hard metal to penetrate destroid armor. I imagine there's some awkwardness in the particular translation here. Then again, if it's purely a magnetically accelerated round, the bullet would likely be all there is to the "cartridge": a case, sabot, other things you might have in a chemical gun would have no place in a railgun.

Further speculation: the "super-polymerization" might also be an awkward translation or technobabble for some alloying/hardening process so as to make a harder projectile in addition to the coating, leading to better penetration.

Isn't gold a far too soft and pliable material? It would just go splat against armor. I guess it's more of a tungsten (or DU) core mantled with a thin layer of gold.

Also, 300m penetration against Destroid armour? That can only be a translation error. The round would have turned into plasma and diffused way before that.

Edited by DarkReaper

It seems pretty clear the gold is part of the bullet itself rather than a casing or sabot. Otherwise there'd be no point coating it in super hard metal to penetrate destroid armor. I imagine there's some awkwardness in the particular translation here. Then again, if it's purely a magnetically accelerated round, the bullet would likely be all there is to the "cartridge": a case, sabot, other things you might have in a chemical gun would have no place in a railgun.

Further speculation: the "super-polymerization" might also be an awkward translation or technobabble for some alloying/hardening process so as to make a harder projectile in addition to the coating, leading to better penetration.

Looking at the translation:

Super polymerized gold cartridge covered it super-hard metal can penetrate 300m of GFS-a2 composite armor used by Destroids.

You're focusing on the 'covered it' part while I'm looking more on the 'cartridge part'--- there might be advantages to having a sabot set-up with a gold cartridge covering a super-hard metal penetrator-- while your interpretation would mean that 'cartridge' should really be translated as 'core'--which doesn't make sense since bullets usually have a hard metal core and a soft metal shell rather than the other way round-- AP rounds are usually steel or tungsten penetrators covered with lead or copper. DarkReaper is spot on.

We need better translations!

And of course I would assume that 300m should really be 300mm?

We need better translations!

See http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=676706

I'll further define the options:

1) learn Japanese, and do the translations yourself

2) pay a professional translator to do it

3) take it or leave it. Politely asking if something is a typo is accetable, insulting the translator is not.

Started translation of Chronicle Mechanic: MF UN 05a: Destroid (Cheyenne II).

If I'm understanding it correctly (haven't finished the lion's share of the text), it's only employed by the Frontier fleet. I'm really curious about the rest of the text, as there are numerous references to the other destroids (ADR, SDR, MDR types). Alas, my next goal is to start work on the article on the Frontier Fleets tank/APC thingy.

Alrighty... I'm working on Chronicle Mechanic: MF UN 07a: Macross Frontier Vehicles, and I'm unsure if I've translated the name of the tank correctly.

In Japanese, it's ベアトリーチェ. Which is romanized as Beatoriiche.

With some minor internet searching, I've found a couple of (Japanese) sites that state that ベアトリーチェ is the Japanese version of Beatrice. Do you guys agree that this is the correct translation of the name, or is there a different, better name for it?

Alrighty... I'm working on Chronicle Mechanic: MF UN 07a: Macross Frontier Vehicles, and I'm unsure if I've translated the name of the tank correctly.

In Japanese, it's ベアトリーチェ. Which is romanized as Beatoriiche.

With some minor internet searching, I've found a couple of (Japanese) sites that state that ベアトリーチェ is the Japanese version of Beatrice. Do you guys agree that this is the correct translation of the name, or is there a different, better name for it?

That would be the Italian pronunciation of the name, yes.

If you look up anything about Dante's Divine Comedy in Japanese, I'm positive that's a name you'll come across often.

• 2 weeks later...

Two partial translations from #21:

Chronicle Mechanic: MII UN 01a: VF-2SS Valkyrie II http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2166.0 (I don't have any plans to do anything further on it)

Chronicle Mechanic: MF Citizen 02B: VF-25S Messiah http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2167.0 (about halfway through the data stats. Will be doing the missile counts, etc. that are printed, but as Gubaba has mentioned he'll be doing it, I'll leave it once the missile stats are up.)

Can't remember if I mentioned the following (Gubaba, add these to the first page when you get the chance):

Chronicle Mechanic: MF UN 05a: Destroid (Cheyenne II) http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2149.0 (work in progress, will be returning to it sooner than later)

Chronicle Mechanic: MF UN 07a: Macross Frontier Vehicles http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2151.0 (Beatrice Tank (on reverse) finished. Partway through the commentary on the front, and the trailor should be finished shortly)

So, looks like my plate is full with MF Vehicles, Destroid (Cheyenne II), MF For Fans Only (VF-171 & VF-171EX only), and then back to finishing Oberth, and others... gah :(

Chronicle Mechanic: MII UN 01a: VF-2SS Valkyrie II http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2166.0 (I don't have any plans to do anything further on it)

You have my gratitude for at least starting a translation of this one... I was guessing that it was going to get skipped over entirely. I'll be adding this one to my queue of stuff awaiting translation... along with the other Macross II mecha sheets. You guys already have the main timeline stuff covered. You provided two tidbits of very useful information... one which flat-out floored me. I'll explain more in the About thread.

I'll be getting cracking on the VF-2SS sheet as soon as my copy of Macross Chronicle #21 arrives.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

(...)

I'll be getting cracking on the VF-2SS sheet as soon as my copy of Macross Chronicle #21 arrives.

Good luck. If it's anything like the other mechanic sheets in the publication, it's going to have a healthy dose of uncommon, tech geek words. :wacko:

I don't see how anyone can say that the translation is wrong just because it doesn't sound realistic. If Kawamori said: "Robotech is now officially at the Macross timeline" we all would have to accept as canon.

Edited by akt_m