Macross Chronicle Translations

Gubaba

Absolutely fantastic work Gubaba! You are my new hero!

That introduction paragraph is extremely interesting.

Can't wait to read more.

And happy belated birthday.

Hopefully this will lay to rest the debate that the VF-25 is indeed superior to the 19 and 21/22 series.

Graham

Hopefully this will lay to rest the debate that the VF-25 is indeed superior to the 19 and 21/22 series.

Technically there was never any debate, only mistranslations :p Since the first info the VF-25 was already declared the successor of the VF-19/22 in terms of battle capabilities.

Anyway, there's something interesting here:

Complete Energy Conversion Armor SWAG System / Complete Pin-Point Barrier System / Complete Chaff & Flare & Smoke Discharge System

We've got these three instances of "complete". I can guess what a complete Pin-Point Barrier System is, but what is the meaning of the Complete Chaff & Flare & Smoke Discharge System? :blink:

FV

Technically there was never any debate, only mistranslations :p Since the first info the VF-25 was already declared the successor of the VF-19/22 in terms of battle capabilities.

Anyway, there's something interesting here:

We've got these three instances of "complete". I can guess what a complete Pin-Point Barrier System is, but what is the meaning of the Complete Chaff & Flare & Smoke Discharge System? :blink:

FV

Um..don't look too closely at that. Just like some of the guns are "x2" or x4," the description of the armor and the pinpoint barrier system says "one complete set" in the Japanese. I thought saying "complete set" didn't make much sense, so I just left in the word "complete," which probably isn't much better.

perhaps "complete set of"?

I dunno..."A Complete set of Pin-point barrier systems" makes it sound like baseball cards or something..."I'll trade you a rookie SDF-1 Pinpoint Barrier Girl for a 2059 VF-171 Pinpoint Barrier Punch."

Meh, when I put in the next section, I'll take it out entirely. It doesn't really need to be there, right?

I dunno..."A Complete set of Pin-point barrier systems" makes it sound like baseball cards or something..."I'll trade you a rookie SDF-1 Pinpoint Barrier Girl for a 2059 VF-171 Pinpoint Barrier Punch."

Meh, when I put in the next section, I'll take it out entirely. It doesn't really need to be there, right?

Just reword it to "complete set". Either way, it will make sense with or without it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to hear confirmation at last that some colony fleets develop their own fighters. That means the VF-19 Excalibur could still be in service as a main line variable fighter in other fleets, just not the Macross Frontier fleet.

THanks for the work Gubaba

How about "Full Array of Pin-Point Barrier System applications"? Maybe that's stretching it a bit from translation to transliteration.

It's good to hear confirmation at last that some colony fleets develop their own fighters. That means the VF-19 Excalibur could still be in service as a main line variable fighter in other fleets, just not the Macross Frontier fleet.

THanks for the work Gubaba

...further developments of the YF-24 exist on other Emigration Fleets

Also from the sound of it there might be VF-24s in use by other fleets, wouldn't mind seeing that at all :D

And it also said that the Frontier fleet was the only design to require a new number designation so is the VF-27 not based off the YF-24 or what?

Edited by hobbes221

And it also said that the Frontier fleet was the only design to require a new number designation so is the VF-27 not based off the YF-24 or what?

It still is. I'm guessing what they mean is there were enough changes done to the YF-24 design that they gave it a new number, VF-25. Likewise, there's enough changes done to Galaxy's development of the YF-24 that they gave it a new number, VF-27. The YF-24 probably doesn't incorporate the number of changes that the VF-25 and VF-27 made on the design.

How about "Full Array of Pin-Point Barrier System applications"? Maybe that's stretching it a bit from translation to transliteration.

I think just "Pinpoint Barrier System" works best. :)

Also from the sound of it there might be VF-24s in use by other fleets, wouldn't mind seeing that at all :D

Azrael basically got it right, but the Japanese text doesn't say "only" (it does, however, implicitly emphasize that the other variants are not different enough to require new numerical designations), so I took it out.

And I just added the next section, about the armaments. To be honest, the paragraph about the gunpod almost broke me, and I'm not sure I got it all right, so if one of you wants to go over the text and double check it for me, I'd be grateful.

It'll probably be at least a few days before I get the next part up. Sorry for trying everyone's patience. :ph34r:

Gun pod section looks good.

Thanks. That's a relief. :D

Though, the common romanization of the manufacturer (?) is Howard: http://macross.anime.net/wiki/VF-25#Standard_armament

I know, but isn't "Howard" spelled ハウワード, not ハワード? Or am I simply making something up without realizing it...?

EDIT: Never mind. I just googled ハワード, and while the first thing that showed up was "haward.com," the second was Japanese Wikipedia's entry on Howard Hughes...so I'll change it to Howard when I add the next section.

Edited by Gubaba

Thanks Gubaba, although there's a few things in the gunpod section that I don't quite understand.

Compared to the previous gunpods, it is larger, but the design of the rear armor plate on the body has evolved in order to aid with firing time.

Hmm.........when they talk abour "rear armor plate on the body", I wonder do they mean the body of the gunpod or the body of the VF? And why would the armour plate have any relation to firing time?

Perhaps they mean the armor been made stronger to cope with the increased recoil of the 58mm round fired at a high rate-of-fire and this help tame the recoil, thus aiding in keeping the gunpod on target when firing sustained bursts?

Also, it is placed under the body in fighter mode (in the place for an engine nacelle), enabling it to be used by either arm. Later, as the battle against the Vajra continues, it is switched out for the upraded GU-17V, which is fitted with MDE warheads.

Just noticed you missed out a "g' from upgraded.

I wonder, does the above paragraph imply that the gunpod is actually attached to the engine nacelle in fighter mode and not the arm, as with the VF-1/VF-0.

Graham

Thanks. That's a relief. :D

I know, but isn't "Howard" spelled ハウワード, not ハワード? Or am I simply making something up without realizing it...?

EDIT: Never mind. I just googled ハワード, and while the first thing that showed up was "haward.com," the second was Japanese Wikipedia's entry on Howard Hughes...so I'll change it to Howard when I add the next section.

Me dislike katakana as well. There are many a word that I write using the "correct" English pronunciation in katakana, and nobody understands. When they show me the "correct" way it's written, it doesn't sound like any of the various ways to pronounce and English word. >.<

Thanks Gubaba, although there's a few things in the gunpod section that I don't quite understand.

Hmm.........when they talk abour "rear armor plate on the body", I wonder do they mean the body of the gunpod or the body of the VF? And why would the armour plate have any relation to firing time?

Perhaps they mean the armor been made stronger to cope with the increased recoil of the 58mm round and this help tame the recoil?

JUst noticed you missed out a "g' from upgraded.

Does the above paragraph imply that the gunpod is acctually attached to the engine nacelle in fighter mode and not the arm, as with the VF-1/VF-0.

Graham

Heh. You managed to zero in on EXACTLY the parts I was unsure about. :wacko:

The armor plate is on the gunpod (the word they use could mean "gun" or it could mean "barrel"). As for how it improves firing speed...I don't know. If I were to translate the sentence as literally as possible, it says, "About the firing speed, rear/previous parts gun body's armor plate has (or "is") unfolding/evolving/deploying/developing/progressing structure."

I'm at a loss to explain what it means. :mellow:

And that's nothing compared to the gunpod placement sentence, which took me close to forty minutes to try to untangle. Looking at it now, I'm amazed I pulled out anything coherent at all. Again, literally: "About fighter mode, fighter under-parts' engine nacelle's place/time positioned both arms' possessing backing/support/maintenance shelf/stand/mount/support/frame is equipped."

Stuff like this is why this frickin' page is taking so frickin' long to frickin' finish. Thankfully, the gunpod paragraph is as rough as the article gets.

Could it be this section of text is referring to the ballistics of the gun pod? Perhaps it describes the barrel or the construction of the weapon is improved in some way such that this sturdier gun pod can fire a faster, better bullet? Perhaps?

Could it be this section of text is referring to the ballistics of the gun pod? Perhaps it describes the barrel or the construction of the weapon is improved in some way such that this sturdier gun pod can fire a faster, better bullet? Perhaps?

I don't think so...it definitely talks about an armor plate, although I don't know if it's on the rear of the gunpod, or if it's talking about the previous gunpod model (the word for "behind" and "previous" being the same here).

Sketchley? Azrael? Shun? Beuller...?

Help...?

(...) it says, "About the firing speed, rear/previous parts gun body's armor plate has (or "is") unfolding/evolving/deploying/developing/progressing structure."

Without looking at the text, it could mean:

"The rear parts of the gun's armour plate body has an unfolding structure [to increase the] firing speed." Which could be in reference to parts of the gun opening up when it's fired.

(...) Again, literally: "About fighter mode, fighter under-parts' engine nacelle's place/time positioned both arms' possessing backing/support/maintenance shelf/stand/mount/support/frame is equipped."

Again, without looking at the text, it could mean:

"Both of the arms are equipped with a [gun pod] mount, and are positioned ventrally, between-the-engine-nacelles, in fighter mode."

The tech stuff is full of those nested sentences... I recommend getting a quickie translation from http://tool.nifty.com/globalgate/ and working off of that.

"The rear parts of the gun's armour plate body has an unfolding structure [to increase the] firing speed." Which could be in reference to parts of the gun opening up when it's fired.

"Both of the arms are equipped with a [gun pod] mount, and are positioned ventrally, between-the-engine-nacelles, in fighter mode."

The tech stuff is full of those nested sentences... I recommend getting a quickie translation from http://tool.nifty.com/globalgate/ and working off of that.

Hmmm...those are quite good suggestions.

Honestly, I don't know what's worse...the intricate syntax in some of these very, very long sentences, the long strings of technical kanji, or the otherwise common words that have two or three different meanings, and I'm not sure which one fits.

I tell ya, after I finish the VF-25 page, I'm going to translate the Mylene fashion extravaganza, just to boost my ego back up. :p

I don't think so...it definitely talks about an armor plate, although I don't know if it's on the rear of the gunpod, or if it's talking about the previous gunpod model (the word for "behind" and "previous" being the same here).

Help...?

Give me a day or 2 to look at it. But don't expect a frakin miracle. The Character sheets are less mind fraking than the Tech sheets.

"Gerber OTEC".....

Well, that's an interesting take on it.

Hmmm...those are quite good suggestions.

Honestly, I don't know what's worse...the intricate syntax in some of these very, very long sentences, the long strings of technical kanji, or the otherwise common words that have two or three different meanings, and I'm not sure which one fits.

I tell ya, after I finish the VF-25 page, I'm going to translate the Mylene fashion extravaganza, just to boost my ego back up. :p

The worst thing is the clauses. Where does one end and another begin? How do you translate the nested clauses into English that is (easily) understandable?

The worst thing is the clauses. Where does one end and another begin? How do you translate the nested clauses into English that is (easily) understandable?

I remember translating a Shiina Ringo song, and then looking up another translation online, and finding the meaning to be almost entirely different, since that translator and I cut the clauses up differently. :wacko:

As for how to deal with them...you'll notice that my translations have many more parentheses than the original texts do...sometimes that seems to me to be the only way to deal with them without making a huge, unreadable run-on sentence.

Sometimes, though I find it's easiest to reorganize the information into two or three smaller sentences. It doesn't read much like the Japanese version when I'm done with it, but it has all the same information.

That makes the most sense to me... although the part about the gun pod mount doesn't explain how they could mount two weapons side by side under the VF-25F while Gubaba's translation sort of does. Hmm. Maybe both translations could apply?

That makes the most sense to me... although the part about the gun pod mount doesn't explain how they could mount two weapons side by side under the VF-25F while Gubaba's translation sort of does. Hmm. Maybe both translations could apply?

highlighted the part you appear to have missed:

Edited by sketchley

Help...?

Oh, I think I understand now. It's talking about the gun pod armored casing itself, specifically how the "rear" section of the gun pod opens. This isn't exactly new to the GU-17 gun pod, since several gun pods have sliding armored casings that open in for use in Battroid mode. I'll post a good gun pod picture later today so you can see what I mean.

Looking at the pages, there's a typo:

Using the VF-24, jointly designed by Shinsei Industry and General Galaxy, as a base, the VF-25 was created specially by the Shinsei Factory on the Macross Frontier Fleet and the LAI Corporation.

VF-24 -> YF-24