MOSPEADA and Bubblegum Crisis Designs

RavenHawk

Hi all,

A couple years back I was procrastinating at work and mucking around on the web and came across an interview with Shinji Aramaki where he talked about his initial designs for MOSPEADA and Bubblegum Crisis. Text-wise, I knew most of it already, since I'm a huge fan of these shows and his design work on them and Megazone 23 (ok, I have a thing for motorcycle mecha...). Anyway, the cool thing was there were a bunch of pictures showing his initial designs, which were very cool, and some of which were actually pretty different from what eventually made it to the screen.

For the last year or so every once in a while I have tried to find these images again, but with no luck at all.

Does anyone know where I can find design sketches and the like for MOSPEADA and BGC?

Thanks.

Hi all,

A couple years back I was procrastinating at work and mucking around on the web and came across an interview with Shinji Aramaki where he talked about his initial designs for MOSPEADA and Bubblegum Crisis. Text-wise, I knew most of it already, since I'm a huge fan of these shows and his design work on them and Megazone 23 (ok, I have a thing for motorcycle mecha...). Anyway, the cool thing was there were a bunch of pictures showing his initial designs, which were very cool, and some of which were actually pretty different from what eventually made it to the screen.

For the last year or so every once in a while I have tried to find these images again, but with no luck at all.

Does anyone know where I can find design sketches and the like for MOSPEADA and BGC?

Thanks.

For both and even some Megazone, you should get this:

B-Club Special : Artmic Design Works

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/misc_artmic.htm

Animedia also released a MOSPEADA book with some pre-production art that's not in the Artmic book:

http://www.robotechresearch.com/reference/...da/mospeada.jpg

There are pictures of the wooden Legioss mockup in there that are pretty cool.

All of these books are pretty cheap if you check Yahoo Japan Auctions for them. I've seen the Animedia book go for about $5.

I have the ARTMIC entertainment bibles, though no the b-club special, since I always seem to see it for pretty ridiculously expensive.

Anyone know of any online resources?

Like I said, I came across some a few years back (ok, probably like 4), and haven't been able to find them since.

I'm always amazed, for two shows with such devoted followings (even if small compared to some other anime) just how little actually good information and images seems to be out there.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Also, if it matters to anyone, the stuff I came across back then was very specific to the bikes, though I have seen some extremely cool unreleased Legioss and Tread designs too.

The bike stuff showed the MOSPEADA armor in more of the initial WWII-inspired designs, as well as the police ones (when MOSPEADA was going to be AD Police) which were vetoed but later modified to be in BGC.