Macross Frontier News Thread V

azrael

Now I have a question, which has been bugging me for a bit now. I'm pretty sure that when you pronounce kanji with furigana, you use the furigana. But when you translate, do you also translate the furigana? Or the kanji? Or some kind of mix of both? I mean, why does "kokuu" have the furigana "itsuwari"?

Most of the time, it's quite clear: the furigana is simply there to tell you how to pronounce the kanji.

In rare occasions (mostly in comics or something), they'll be different, and then it's up to the translator. For example, Mobile Suit Gundam Movie III is, according to the kanji, titled "Meguriai Uchuu" ("Chance Enounters in Space") but the furigana over "Uchuu" says "Sora," which would make it "Chance Encounters in the Heavens."

The official English title is "Encounters in Space," but they really could've gone either way. Whichever one sounds better.

"The False Songstress" isn't a very good translation; I think "Fabricated" is closer to the meaning but then again not entirely correct. The kanji there, in my own comprehension, means more like "a songstress in an empty dimension", and in a sense also "a songstress conjured out of nothing". (it takes multiple meanings to be a good subtitle right?)

That's interesting - because that could also mean that the title is not a statement about Sheryl being "fake" while Ranka is "real"

It sounds like it's more about a personal tragedy - the tragedy of two girls, both of whom had dreams to become singers, and who were manipulated by others - made into something fake and artificial - fabricated - and this is their struggle for authenticity - Sheryl's ultimate rebellion against Grace, and Ranka's rebellion against NUNS using her as a weapon.

Both Sheryl and Ranka rebell against the way they are manipulated and used are artificial songstresses.

Both of them seek out their own authentic voice - Ranka by joining the Vajra, Sheryl by fighting against Grace on the side of NUNS (unaware about Leon's complicity).

The problem of falsety and manipulation are big in MF - so this would all make much more sense than the way the title sounds as just "False Songstress" which is kind of one-sided and lame.

Pete

Trailer is up!!!

http://extr.b-ch.com/freemv/view/macross_f_mv/index.html

For those who can't view, I made some crappy screenshots:

http://gabrielarobin.com/2537/macross-f-mo...-bandai-channel

I hope someone rips it :)

Most of the time, it's quite clear: ...

Thanks, sometimes it drives me nuts to find the proper translation of a sentence when this happens :p

Edited by mike_s_6

Trailer is up!!!

http://extr.b-ch.com/freemv/view/macross_f_mv/index.html

For those who can't view, I made some crappy screenshots:

http://gabrielarobin.com/2537/macross-f-mo...-bandai-channel

I hope someone rips it :)

Freakin Bandai...blocking all non-Japanese ISPs.

At least Brera got a suit...compared to his gawd awful TV wardrobe.

Freakin Bandai...blocking all non-Japanese ISPs.

At least Brera got a suit...compared to his gawd awful TV wardrobe.

*cough* proxy server *cough*

uhhhh....most of that trailer was of the dumb message on the cellphone... most of the new animation was already showned on previews trailer unimpressed

at least I'm grateful they dress brera

Edited by Valkyrie addict

You know... this just occurred to me, but if Ranka is getting a Segway, does this mean I can stop complaining about her running everywhere (and being perpetually late)? Now she can coast everywhere... and be late. :)

How can you be absolutely sure about that??

Taksraven

I think most of us are pretty aware of the number of legal trainwrecks that are keeping stuff like this from getting shown outside Japan.

I think most of us are pretty aware of the number of legal trainwrecks that are keeping stuff like this from getting shown outside Japan.

Maybe, but I thought that (according to the "robotech/HG legal thread") that HG did not have total international control of the Macross rights. I thought that they did not own the copyright in Australia, for example.

Taksraven

Brera and Sheryl?????

mfmv09071804.jpg

Who is this???

Because the short sleeve, Mikhail?

mfmv09071805.jpg

I wouldn't read too much into a commercial.

Remember everyone speculating on who had the purple trimmed Messiah before last december? :rolleyes:

Although that screenie of Brera makes me think he joined the priesthood or something, judging by his new costume... :p

Edited by Zinjo

Saw the trailer.

Opinion:

Well - the trailer testifies to just how excellent Macross: Frontier the SERIES is. The animation in the trailer for the new movie is not markedly better than what we saw in the series, which IMO was excellent. Abstracting from the recycled scenes, the new stuff does not look earth shattering. Certainly - this is not DYRL vs. SDFM:TV. The characters were already extremely well designed, and only Brera was made to look less ridiculous, and if I'm not mistaken - Sheryl was given puckier lips, or we just get some scenes where she has more lipstick. Ranka seems to have fuller hair too - as if she'd just walked out of a shampoo commercial - in some of the scenes.

But overall - given that the series was by and large animated to the standards of Macross:Zero, which itself was animated to the Standards of DYRL... it's little wonder that this movie seems like it's not going to break new ground.

This is not meant to be a negative opinion - it's just that the series is so good that, based on the trailer alone, the movie's going to find it hard to make an impact similar to the one that DYRL made.

Pete

I still do not see anything that makes me want to watch this.

Dissapointed <_< meh at least Brera's new outfit suits him better.

I dunno, I'll miss the absurdly plunging neckline. Also, if they went as far to make his costume less rediculous, isn't there an chance they did it to others?

It's just that to me..that sucks out some of the charm.

trailer is pretty sweet, but mostly footage from the series...I hope there is alot of new animation and not just cut-and-paste scenes from the series to make a movie,which probably is the case lol

atleast brera looks cool. and sheryls new song sounds nice,passive.

VF-25's new super pack in MF movie

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mreport/013237/index.html

01.jpg

04.jpg

Just as a counter view to Kresphy's post.

I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anywhere that the VF-25F bundled with baby-blue FPs are being advertised as the "Movie Version", unless the linked GA article states that.

AFAIK, they are only being advertised so far as "Renewal Version", which may or may not be the version we will see in the movie.

Graham