Character Art Appreciaton Thread II

d3v

I know that these forums have been around for a long time so I think most people here should have seen this pic featuring some Macross characters as well as characters from other shows should have been seen here before, if not, I hope you enjoy it.

th_1219793473267.jpg

The story I heard was that it was created for a US anime convention, if I am wrong or if somebody has a better story, let us know.....

Taksraven

I know that these forums have been around for a long time so I think most people here should have seen this pic featuring some Macross characters as well as characters from other shows should have been seen here before, if not, I hope you enjoy it.

th_1219793473267.jpg

The story I heard was that it was created for a US anime convention, if I am wrong or if somebody has a better story, let us know.....

Taksraven

Wow, cool!! Do you have the actual version where you can see all the people? :)

A radio drama series. It's not very good, unfortunately.

It's 2047, on the Macross 9 Fleet. Passel (the white-haired girl on the first album cover) wants to be a singer like her idol, Canary Minmay (the purple-haired girl on the second cover) (and no, I'm not making up that name). Meanwhile, she meets Rafale (the guy on the first cover), a cosmo-bike racer. But Passel's bitchy friend Liza (the girl with the hat) tries to steal him away. And two mafiosos (on the second cover) are hunting for him too.

A Valkyrie crashes at the end, and everyone listens to Passel's song.

EDIT: Amazingly, VFTF1's guesses aren't too far off, really. :D

Ah cool. I knew right away that that wasn't the real Minmay. I like those paintings though.

Wow, cool!! Do you have the actual version where you can see all the people? :)

th_62958_1219793473267_122_546lo.jpg

That should work. Don't know how I stuffed up with the original...

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

th_1219793473267.jpg

Taksraven

I remember that! :) The story is correct.

The poster was done by Lionel Lum from the San Francisco bay area (California, USA).

The bottom credit lists his name and the poster as a commission for AnimeExpo 1996

(the 5th anniversary). Nice guy. His current projects are part of Usagichan Company Search & Rescue

where there's an old link to that poster. He's done some neat cosplay props including a

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Bumblebee outfit for himself.

Amazing how things have changed since AnimeCon and the early (dark) ages of anime

fandom in the US...

A radio drama series. It's not very good, unfortunately.

It's 2047, on the Macross 9 Fleet. Passel (the white-haired girl on the first album cover) wants to be a singer like her idol, Canary Minmay (the purple-haired girl on the second cover) (and no, I'm not making up that name). Meanwhile, she meets Rafale (the guy on the first cover), a cosmo-bike racer. But Passel's bitchy friend Liza (the girl with the hat) tries to steal him away. And two mafiosos (on the second cover) are hunting for him too.

A Valkyrie crashes at the end, and everyone listens to Passel's song.

EDIT: Amazingly, VFTF1's guesses aren't too far off, really. :D

The correct names should be: Passel = Passero (a kind of bird, in Italian. Given that her friend is called Canary, it makes sense); Rafale = Raffaele

Everything about the fashion in Generation is so 90s though. I don't like that look. I like modern retro...if that makes any sense... like Minmey's polka dot dress - Mikimoto does it justice and despite (or perhaps because of) its' 70s bangs nostalgia...I like it!

Um..that said...Generations was made in the 90s...right?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: fashion in the 90s was too conscious of the dawn of the 21st century and therefore blindly and chaotically trying to be "futuristic" and "not 20th century" rather than just...you know...tasteful, classy, elegent, sharp...and any other host of positive adjectives associated with fashion.

Pete

fashion expert

at least on the weekends

or after he's done his laundry

or once in a while when he puts something clean on

or at least not kind of un-clean

you know

like...pick up...smell it...doesn't stink...wear it...

I'm doing some laundry now actually

did most of it yesterday

still got some hand washing to do today

nice zipper sweater I go while in Berlin

um

yeah.

Um..that said...Generations was made in the 90s...right?

A drama CD that is today obscure and hard to find? Yes it is!

Makes me wonder though. They gave us a glimpse of Macross 11. What if Macross 9 gets a cameo appearance in the next movie?

2047 in the Macross universe is what I call the year of the side story. Giving us a glimpse of other places than Macross 7.

The two page Macross English Anticipation we get the first reference to Macross 11. Later referenced in Macross Dynamite 7. English Fire as well.

Mylene Beat is a side story to Macross Dynamite 7.

Macross Dynamite 7 though the main story introduces us to a third unheard of race in alliance with Humans and Zentradi.

Macross Generation happens on Macross 9. A singer, a biker and a hitman.

Months after Macross Digital Mission VF-X Miho Miho gets transfered to the Vahalla III out to rescue some idols from rebel Zentradi.

The correct names should be: Passel = Passero (a kind of bird, in Italian. Given that her friend is called Canary, it makes sense); Rafale = Raffaele

No, look at the Japanese: パッセル. That can be many things, but it can't be "Passero." "Rafale" is much easier, because he says his name is French for "Squall." And the French word is "Rafale" not "Raffaele." Besides, "Raffaele" wouldn't be spelled ラファール.

(Where did you get those romanizations, anyway? And who told you they were correct?)

No, look at the Japanese: パッセル. That can be many things, but it can't be "Passero." "Rafale" is much easier, because he says his name is French for "Squall." And the French word is "Rafale" not "Raffaele." Besides, "Raffaele" wouldn't be spelled ラファール.

(Where did you get those romanizations, anyway? And who told you they were correct?)

Uh, my bad! I dit it all by myself. Since Italian names are sometimes spelled incorrectly when they appear or are translated from animes, I thought this was the case, too.

See attached. It's from the site that MastaEgg(thanks by the way!) linked earlier in the thread. http://yuba.homeip.net/m/nicky.html

Looks like Mikimoto artwork on a deck of cards:

post-1109-1263363182_thumb.jpg

All kinds of Hikaru and Misa stuff there.

post-1109-1263363559_thumb.jpg

Be careful though, as there are some that are also NSFW.

I took a quick look, didn't see any NSFW, just some suggestive.

Guess you'd really have to dig to find them. Even then, they're more R-Rated (at most) than X.

Still, there are some really heart warming pics there. Like this one:

snormal0104101138.png

And the "Cafe Break" series in the post dated 2009.12.11

It starts with this pic:

cafe_break.jpg

Then this one after the "cut" in the post:

cafe_break_00.jpg

From there just change the number of the file name in the url "cafe_break_01.jpg, 02.jpg, etc.

That really adds an amazing interpretive dimmension to Neon Genesis Evangelion...unless - is this common in Anime? Was it a ...

It's common in anime and American cartoons. Before puberty, boy and girl vocal chords aren't all that different. Boy actors have the inconvenience of hitting puberty sooner or later, and they don't sound like boys anymore. A woman's voice will always be higher than a man's, so they commonly voice boys. More than you'd think.

For example, in the Simpsons, women actors play Bart Simpson, Milhouse, Rod and Tod, Kearny, Jimbo, Ralph Wiggums, and probably a lot more.

Ben from Ben 10 was voiced by a woman until the story had him age a few years, whereupon his actor was switched to a man.

Popular male anime characters voiced by women include Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin, Dilandau from Escaflowne, Quatre in Gundam Wing, and more. I don't really understand why Kenshin was voiced by a woman, since I believe he's supposed to be in his late 20s/early 30s in the series. Ah well. I guess Kenshin hasn't hit puberty yet.

Edited by Lord of Tetris

And the "Cafe Break" series in the post dated 2009.12.11

It starts with this pic:

cafe_break.jpg

Then this one after the "cut" in the post:

cafe_break_00.jpg

From there just change the number of the file name in the url "cafe_break_01.jpg, 02.jpg, etc.

You don't have to go through all that trouble. Sometimes there's a hyperlink after their post that leads to more illustrations. And that's were all the naughty ones are at :D

That person should seriously think about making a Megaroad 01 doujinshi. That will show Kawamori to not leave the fans hanging! ;)

You don't have to go through all that trouble. Sometimes there's a hyperlink after their post that leads to more illustrations. And that's were all the naughty ones are at :D

That person should seriously think about making a Megaroad 01 doujinshi. That will show Kawamori to not leave the fans hanging! ;)

Yup I noticed the hyperlink/cut in some of the posts. I don't read/understand a lick of Japanese so I was just doing random clicking.

I agree, this author should make a doujinshi, the art is great.