What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

I quite liked Rahxephon actually. More than i originally thought I would.

Im sort of bereft of things to watch. Im giving serious thought to buying Planetes. But really I just want the first season of Code Geass to hurry up and get released here.

Planetes is a great series! I was on the fence for a bit, but I finally caved and found it was definitely worth the purchase.

Watching Gundam Mobile Suit Zeta. Kamille, the Newtype human, seems to be confused about the world hence ending up all frustrated. This series is not as likeable as some other Gundam series because the storyline is not as solid. But I'll watch it to the end before making final judgement on it.

Watching Gundam Mobile Suit Zeta. Kamille, the Newtype human, seems to be confused about the world hence ending up all frustrated. This series is not as likeable as some other Gundam series because the storyline is not as solid. But I'll watch it to the end before making final judgement on it.

Back in the day, Zeta was my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE. When the US DVD box set came out, I found it a little draggy in places.

But still, it takes its good sweet time setting things up. I have no idea where you are in the series, but I'd say that the REAL plot doesn't get underway until episode 10 or thereabouts.

Is Canaan any good? I have the series at home, and i've been debating whether to start watching it.

The animation is quality but (FWIW) I couldn't get into the story.

Is Canaan any good? I have the series at home, and i've been debating whether to start watching it.

Canaan is certainly not bad and was pretty much the best animated TV series of 2009. The game on which it is based, 428, has a Type Moon origen, so expect darker and edgier storytelling. It's like an 80's OVA, lot of violence and fanservice with a decent plot.

Back in the day, Zeta was my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE. When the US DVD box set came out, I found it a little draggy in places.

But still, it takes its good sweet time setting things up. I have no idea where you are in the series, but I'd say that the REAL plot doesn't get underway until episode 10 or thereabouts.

I'm not a huge Gundam fan but I will say the original and Zeta are rather exceptional. There's also movie trilogies for both respective series for people who want to cut to the chase.

Edited by MastaEgg

I've waited FOREVER to see Zeta Gundam, and I just now watched the last 10 episodes of it. I found the Chapter 5 Zeta Gundam DVD on sale for like $7.00 at Best Buy last year and it sat on the shelf all this time. I had forgotten about it until I saw Gundam Unicorn and then I remembered it. I don't know why but the animation is not as good as I thought it would be. I 'm aware that Zeta Gundam is 84 or 85 but Macross was back then and it looks better. I remember looking at Z Gundam books and saying "Wow, this looks awesome" now after seeing it, it looked better in the books. But, it still is my

favorate Gundam series until Unicorn comes out. ^_^

I sort of considered it Noir-lite. If you liked Noir without all the psycho babble , then Canaan will be for you.

Canaan is certainly not bad and was pretty much the best animated TV series of 2009. The game on which it is based, 428, has a Type Moon origen, so expect darker and edgier storytelling. It's like an 80's OVA, lot of violence and fanservice with a decent plot.

There was necrophilia as well.... :ph34r:

just finished watching Patlabor the tv series. I have to admit that as much as I love all things Patlabor, the tv series does run out of steam at the end. The story seems to lack a bit of closure. Of course its only at the end that I find out that there's a continuation to it, the so called "Patlabor; The New Files".

Anyone seen it? I've become a bit reluctant to read reviews nowadays because they are so full of spoilers. Just want to know if its of the same calibre as the series or OVA.

I've waited FOREVER to see Zeta Gundam, and I just now watched the last 10 episodes of it. I found the Chapter 5 Zeta Gundam DVD on sale for like $7.00 at Best Buy last year and it sat on the shelf all this time. I had forgotten about it until I saw Gundam Unicorn and then I remembered it. I don't know why but the animation is not as good as I thought it would be. I 'm aware that Zeta Gundam is 84 or 85 but Macross was back then and it looks better. I remember looking at Z Gundam books and saying "Wow, this looks awesome" now after seeing it, it looked better in the books. But, it still is my

favorate Gundam series until Unicorn comes out. ^_^

Well...Macross can also (depending on the episode) look WORSE than Zeta, too. Also remember: Macross was 36 episodes, Zeta was 50, so the budget for Zeta likely had to be stretched a little further.

But yeah...it does look better in the books. :D

I wish Canaan was part of the Nasuverse, she already has her own variation of "Mystic Eyes" :)

Not to mention Shiki and Alphard can exchange tips on single handed combat ^_^

just finished watching Patlabor the tv series. I have to admit that as much as I love all things Patlabor, the tv series does run out of steam at the end. The story seems to lack a bit of closure. Of course its only at the end that I find out that there's a continuation to it, the so called "Patlabor; The New Files".

Anyone seen it? I've become a bit reluctant to read reviews nowadays because they are so full of spoilers. Just want to know if its of the same calibre as the series or OVA.

Like the TV series, its a little uneven and I can't recall if it has the closure you want but it features what is quite possibly not just the finest ever Patlabor episode, or one of the finest pieces of anime ever, but one of the finest pieces of comic writing ever. Its the episode where Goto and Nagumo get stuck in a hotel for a night.

Thats as much as I'm prepared to give away. :)

I'm up to episode 24 of FMA: Brotherhood. I must say, i'm really REALLY loving this. I loved the first series, but this one is much better. :)

I enjoyed the first series too, but Brotherhood makes it look like dog sh!t. Strap in for near non-stop awesome, slightly hindered by a re-cap episode thrown in there, damn this show is good. I'm up to ep 47.

I enjoyed the first series too, but Brotherhood makes it look like dog sh!t.

My sentiments exactly. When the story started diverging from the old series, I found myself wondering how I could have actually enjoyed the way the old series' story progressed. Bortherhood's story made me more emotionally and intellectually invested than the old one ever did.

I'm up to episode 24 of FMA: Brotherhood. I must say, i'm really REALLY loving this. I loved the first series, but this one is much better. :)

That's great! I'm watching the first series now, and if the followup is even better then I'm in for a treat.

Code geass on the other hand, sent the disk back to netflix without even watching all the episodes.

Like the TV series, its a little uneven and I can't recall if it has the closure you want but it features what is quite possibly not just the finest ever Patlabor episode, or one of the finest pieces of anime ever, but one of the finest pieces of comic writing ever. Its the episode where Goto and Nagumo get stuck in a hotel for a night.

Thats as much as I'm prepared to give away. :)

You sir, have told me all I needed to know! :D

Gotoh is one of my favourite anime character (make that favourite characters period) and his little crush on Shnobu Nagumo one of my favourite plot devices in the Patlabor series.

I'm getting this OVA ASAP.

wow, but u guys were right about Planetes! I have flown through an anime this quickly in YEARS! Im close to the end after only a few days watching. WONDERFUL series, and leaping up the charts to be a favourite of mine.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I can't say enough good things about it, the story, acting, animation, music, just fantastic all around.

Caught up on some anime last night, and I just can't wait for the Railgun finale this weekend (not sure if it's a 2-parter). At first this show was just a silly sidestory for the main index story with funny vignettes of "Kuroko Assault" on Biri Biri, but the show really grew on me, and imo shines in its own light.

And the final boss' power armor is definitely Mospeada inspired...

Watched Eve no Jikan yesterday: it was nicely done and entertaining, with some really emotional moments. Overall, a recommendable show

Started watching Banner of the Stars. It is kind of confusing in the beginning, but it is better now since I am on the 4th episode. Lots of large space ships attacking another group. No real cool mecha like a mobile suit or variable fighters. But the store seems to focus on the human emotions in a war setting.

Also watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam 0079. I like it, even though the anime graphics are not today's standards. But the story is good and Amuro gets slapped and punched just in about every episode. Poor guy!