What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

Can anyone recommend a Gundam series/ova/movie that is watchable and doesn't require past knowledge of the franchise? And don't tell me the original show, I found it to be so badly dated that I couldn't get past the second episode.

My advice would be to go for either the 8th MS Team (12 ep OVA), which is about the actions of a small mecha unit set against the backdrop of the larger Zeonic ground invasion, or 0080:War in the Pocket (3 ep OVA), a rather intense story of a boy who befriends a member of a Zeonic infiltration team. Both don't require you to know that much about the history of UC or Char/Amuro.

Some would recommend Stardust Memory, but I can't stand the whiny-ness of Shin, the main protagonist. Though, the mecha designs, which Kawamori had a hand in, are pretty awesome.

Can anyone recommend a Gundam series/ova/movie that is watchable and doesn't require past knowledge of the franchise? And don't tell me the original show, I found it to be so badly dated that I couldn't get past the second episode.

I'd go with the Foul Fowl in recommending War in the Pocket. As he says, the 08th MS Team also stands alone quite well, but I really disliked that series for being too light-weight for a Gundam series...hell, it's almost cheerful at times. I'm really in the minority there, though. Most people seem to love it.

MS Igloo can also be enjoyed without much knowledge of the events of the original series, although it' certainly a help. And if you don't mind jumping ahead, there's always V Gundam...

Turn-A Gundam. You will hate the mecha designs at first, but they'll grow on you, and you'll stay for the awesome content within.

I'd go with the Foul Fowl in recommending War in the Pocket. As he says, the 08th MS Team also stands alone quite well, but I really disliked that series for being too light-weight for a Gundam series...hell, it's almost cheerful at times. I'm really in the minority there, though. Most people seem to love it.

MS Igloo can also be enjoyed without much knowledge of the events of the original series, although it' certainly a help. And if you don't mind jumping ahead, there's always V Gundam...

I Honestly think 0080 is tied with X as my least favorite Gundam. 08th MS Team I agree is quite weak as well.

I just watched Valkyria Chronicles ep 20... just gotta say wow, can't wait for the next episode! I have not played the game yet, so....

it's pretty clear to me that Alicia is a valkyur, in the game, does she actually glow blue as well and have a 1:1 duel with Sylvaria?

Yes she does. ;)

Though i wished they didn't reveal that in the 2nd OP of the anime. It was too soon and too obvious. :lol:

At this point Turn-A Gundam sticks its 'tache in the door and compels you to get 'tache too. :lol:

Yes, 8th MS Team wasn't quite what I was expecting - its a decent series, and it features some of the finest ret-con designs in the franchise, but going by the opening sequence you're sort of led to expect Apocalypse Gundam and what you get is a bit more like M.A.S.H. Gundam. :) Having said that, the final episode is one of the best things Gundams ever done. Also, in one episode and for about thirty seconds, a GM gets to be unquestionably, completely, utterly awesome.

Of course, shortly after that its ordered to commit a major war crime but then GMs never get the love...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

thx for the clarification wolfx :). Look forward to seeing it animated. I have watched a few videos here and there of the game's cut scenes, seems like there were quite a few characters who didn't make it into the anime.

I would also recommend 08th MS as a good standalone UC series. The last few episodes build up towards a truly epic finale.

My only complaint about it is the introduction of the "Ground based Gundams," which given the short timeframe of the one year war seem like rather improbable, but it's anime after all, and supposedly there are like a billion RX-78-X prototypes that are canon but never made it on screen. Would have been better to have an all GM-team with advanced variants like the sniper custom, GM-Command, or Sniper-II.

You can imagine the GMs calls to his agent, can't you?

"Whats this about a new Universal Century series set on Earth during the One Year War? You've got to get me this gig, baby! Theres no way Bandai will make a series solely about GunTanks, and Amuro wossname will be off fighting Zakurellos in space! Its my time! Its what we've been waiting for! I'll finally be able to get that swimming pool Mrs. GMs been nagging me ab -

- what do you mean, 'RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type'...?!!"

:)

Apparently the Ground Type Gundams were made out of spares produced for the RX-78. There are precedents for this - the Bristol Beaufighter used parts from the Blenheim bomber to speed up production - but its yet another twang in the elastic fabric of Gundam continuity...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

the Maxx

Higashi No Eden

Tengen Toppa Gurran Laggan for the 4th time

Death Note for the 3rd time

Started watching Samurai Champloo This is pretty good comes from the guy that did cowboy bebop

Download the Basket Ball robots and deleted from my drive half way through the 1st episode....Stupid!

...And if you don't mind jumping ahead, there's always V Gundam...

Oooh, someone else who appreciates V Gundam? I've always thought that V Gundam is under-appreciated in the fandom. It gets grim (Shrikes anyone?) yet I find the sacrifices make it all the more epic. One my favourite Gundam series. Ends well too. Too bad the Victory Gundam never got any MG love. I would have thought that with the advent of the smaller MGs (F91, Crossbones) that Vic would be the logical next step... oh well...

Oooh, someone else who appreciates V Gundam? I've always thought that V Gundam is under-appreciated in the fandom. It gets grim (Shrikes anyone?) yet I find the sacrifices make it all the more epic. One my favourite Gundam series. Ends well too. Too bad the Victory Gundam never got any MG love. I would have thought that with the advent of the smaller MGs (F91, Crossbones) that Vic would be the logical next step... oh well...

V Gundam was awesomely dark, but doesn't stand on its own as well as Turn-A. Besides, knowing Togo's feeling on Macross 7, not sure he'd be up for a Newtype fetus....

Edited by Keith

Anyway, I found V far better than Z

But not even half as good as Turn A, of course :p

I don't know, even more than the origianl series, Zeta defined every Gundam that came after it (almost to a fault). While I haven't seen 00 yet (waiting to see if Bandai will be ballsy enough to put it out on bluray), just about every series (except for Turn-A & G) have followed the Zeta formula.

I agree with Keith here. I'd recommend watching the Zeta compilation movies if you want to get a feel for Gundam even if you haven't seen the first series. If you don't like Zeta chances are that Gundam isn't your cup of tea.

Started Kemono No Souja Erin, which starts off pretty light and easy , following the daily life and curiosity of a little girl Erin who has a strong curiosity for her mother's profession, a Touda doctor. (Toudas are like giant komodo lizards , reared and bred for war)

Pretty neat and detailed story....and for a lighthearted show became pretty dark around ep 8 or so....so i'm not sure what to expect in future episodes.

Sounds interesting, will have to look into that one. Must have snuck under my radar, hadn't heard of it before.

I'm totally digging Tears to Tiara. It's like Utawarerumono except it's a European-esque setting and no repeated animation so far :).

I have, the anime has some nice twists spread throughout the series. There soon will be a spin-off series airing soon.

I love it. The story isn't that amazing, but the characters and animation are very nice. Not often that Irish mythology gets used in any medium. Rianon as a confident version of Mikuru Asahina is mind boggeling.

Watched Spice and Wolf a few days back. One of the most interesting character driven anime I have seen in a while. The slow pace and the sofistication of the relationship of Lawrence and Holo far exceeds the level of standard rom-coms.

Sounds interesting, will have to look into that one. Must have snuck under my radar, hadn't heard of it before.

yeah its pretty under-the-radar considering how its not like the usual flashy summer anime. But i'm enjoying it so far. Nice character and world driven anime.

Since this does relate to anime so I'll just toss this in here:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/08/21/e...-style-changes/ (nsfw site of course.)

There are three videos featuring a multitude of manga, presenting a before-and-after change and comparison in art styles. These videos are very motivating/inpiring in a way. :)

By the way, try to ignore the japanese comments flying across the videos, the videos are from Niconico Douga after all.

[edit]So I missed the comic thread that also convered manga... I fail. Well, what's done is done.

Edited by shiroikaze

I don't know, even more than the origianl series, Zeta defined every Gundam that came after it (almost to a fault). While I haven't seen 00 yet (waiting to see if Bandai will be ballsy enough to put it out on bluray), just about every series (except for Turn-A & G) have followed the Zeta formula.

Mmmh... Frankly, it's discussable: after Z was ZZ which was everything you want except "the Z formula" (except maybe in the second half...), and after that was V. I agree that G has nothing to do with Z (or any other Gundam series to begin with...) but X appears very different than Z, all the more as it can be considered as an alternate future of the post-OYW era: the setting, the newtype concept,... everything is very different. Because it's crap, W doesn't count. Seed is obviously a come back to the roots of the franchise and it's closer to First than Z; on the other hand, Destiny wanted to be some sort of Z clone, but failed

What I like the most in V is how it is an independent story: you'll have more difficulties in following Z than V because of its elements taken from First. Z is a sequel, V is a standalone: this is what makes it more appealing to a newcomer to the franchise IMO

Mmmh... Frankly, it's discussable: after Z was ZZ which was everything you want except "the Z formula" (except maybe in the second half...), and after that was V. I agree that G has nothing to do with Z (or any other Gundam series to begin with...) but X appears very different than Z, all the more as it can be considered as an alternate future of the post-OYW era: the setting, the newtype concept,... everything is very different. Because it's crap, W doesn't count. Seed is obviously a come back to the roots of the franchise and it's closer to First than Z; on the other hand, Destiny wanted to be some sort of Z clone, but failed

What I like the most in V is how it is an independent story: you'll have more difficulties in following Z than V because of its elements taken from First. Z is a sequel, V is a standalone: this is what makes it more appealing to a newcomer to the franchise IMO

X is actually ZZ mixed with Orguss, and in it's ZZ-ness carries on the Z tradition. I don't know how you can't see the Zeta in Wing though, really, Wing was a lot too blatant, especially the later half. SEED was so bold it copied Zeta 2 series in a row! You say it's closer to 0079, but if you look at the flow of events as the sseries goes along, it drops its "original series ness after the desert fights. Again, I'm not knocking Victory, but as a standalone it coudl actually benefit from a few more ties with Gundam history, it almost stands out as odd with its level of technology & broken off contact with the colonies. Turn-A handles these issues much better.

I need some help. I've re-watched Frontier, and now I need another show to fill the void. Can anyone suggest a good, non-Gundam mech series to check out? Something that has been released in the last couple of years?

No, go track down a copy of Votoms!

B)) Thanks for responding, man. I like Votoms, and what I've seen of Pailsen Files looks ok. But I'm looking for something NEW.

Anyone? Anyone? ...Bueller?

Eureka 7, Fafner, Gunparade March, FMP TSR, Raxephon, Vandread, Vandread:TSS, Aquarion, Overman King Gainer.

Full Metal Panic?

I enjoyed the first series and The Second Raid- really good stuff. B))

Eureka 7, Fafner, Gunparade March, FMP TSR, Raxephon, Vandread, Vandread:TSS, Aquarion, Overman King Gainer.

I've never heard of Fafner. Thanks for the heads-up, Bri; I'll check it out. B))

[...] I don't know how you can't see the Zeta in Wing though, really, Wing was a lot too blatant, especially the later half. [...]

I never said there was no Z in W: I just said W sucks... :p

[...] Again, I'm not knocking Victory, but as a standalone it coudl actually benefit from a few more ties with Gundam history, it almost stands out as odd with its level of technology & broken off contact with the colonies. Turn-A handles these issues much better.

But that is what I like in V: how it breaks from the usual Gundam scheme in proposing something different even if not new. And besides being great, it also announced an interesting future for the UC timeline, but Sunrise did not follow this way thanks to Bandai... <_<

Edited by Gui

Ok, just finished Shikabane Hime, and the ending represents one of the things I love most about anime. When the writers block themselves into a corner, do they go the route of the nonsensicle super quick happy ending? No, they say "screw it," leave it as is, and walk away.

If only our American writers would learn that lesson.

Ok, just finished Shikabane Hime, and the ending represents one of the things I love most about anime. When the writers block themselves into a corner, do they go the route of the nonsensicle super quick happy ending? No, they say "screw it," leave it as is, and walk away.

Keith, they do that all the time in anime. We certainly complain about it here all the time, it often seems by the last few episodes of alot of shows that they clearly had no game plan when the series got the go-ahead, and they end up with a mess by the end of it. Then we get a few lines of dialog out of nowhere, and poof, all questions answered.

edit: Hell, they did this with Macross Frontier.

Edited by Duke Togo

Or he'll blow his brains out infront of his TV, and we'll never hear from him again.

I'd place my money on this one. When I watched Mac 7, all I could think about was the time I was wasting and agony in the pit of my soul. Shame too, I liked the mecha a lot...

Buffy

Angel

ER

Moore's BSG

Teen Titans

Star Trek DS9

Star Trek Next Generation

X-Files

Terminator the Sarah Conner Chronicles

Twin Peaks

JAG

Stargate SG-1