What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

My only nitpick about Toradora is that Ami never got a chance :'(

Ami accepted her fate long ago but Minorin was just too painful to watch. My heart goes out to her. :(

for the Tower of Druaga...?

Also, for Aegis of Uruk, there is a version 2 of episode 1; shows you what was happening while Jil was knocked out :p.

Batch for all of Aegis of Uruk, including 1b

Aegis of Uruk, episode 1b only

This movie is excelent, I recomend rewatch and focus on female character, also watch the end of credits list ... if you dont.

Also, is there a reason why Kusanagi looks so much like the doll from Ghost in the Shell 2? Is it just because it was a reference to Motoko Kusanagi...

Ami accepted her fate long ago but Minorin was just too painful to watch. My heart goes out to her. :(

Indeed. :(

Watching FLCL. Loving it.

Hahahaa, FLCL is a "must have " ^_^

Also, is there a reason why Kusanagi looks so much like the doll from Ghost in the Shell 2? Is it just because it was a reference to Motoko Kusanagi...

Yeah, this movie adaption is directed by Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the shell), already planed a TV show and two live movies.

Edited by SVF-Gerwalk

Eden of the East is interesting. Not quite sure where its going, and it has a strange start, but, its interesting. Personally, I am preferring the Frostii subs.

Just finished Burst Angel and the prequel OAV. While the action scenes were solid, overall it just bored me. Weak plot, not much connection episode to episode, very repetitive, and the last 6 episodes or so reused a TON of footage.

Now I just watched the director's cut first episode of Macross Frontier (just starting this series, sorry, I know it's old news for most people on here).

Wow!

Not a big Macross sequels fan, but the artwork here is gorgeous! The action is fantastic. Backgrounds are nice. First pass at the characters makes me think they may actually be interesting. Very much looking forward to this.

I do love the flying suits that all the pilots wear. Very cool idea for a use of exoskeletons (MOSPEADA concept, in a way, but with a Macross flair).

I know the original Macross came before Megazone, but as far as Macross Frontier is concerned, or at least the first episode, it reminds me of Megaonze 23 Parts 1 & 2. Cities flying through space. Aliens attacking with deadly tails and tentacles on their mecha. And the idol there, with her very militaristic outfits during the concert in this episode, reminds me of Eve during the alien attacks in Megazone, where she was reprogrammed in her new videos to be wearing a militaristic outfit.

I know these are very superficial similarities, but just thought I'd share.

Just finished Burst Angel and the prequel OAV. While the action scenes were solid, overall it just bored me. Weak plot, not much connection episode to episode, very repetitive, and the last 6 episodes or so reused a TON of footage.

Now I just watched the director's cut first episode of Macross Frontier (just starting this series, sorry, I know it's old news for most people on here).

Wow!

Not a big Macross sequels fan, but the artwork here is gorgeous! The action is fantastic. Backgrounds are nice. First pass at the characters makes me think they may actually be interesting. Very much looking forward to this.

I do love the flying suits that all the pilots wear. Very cool idea for a use of exoskeletons (MOSPEADA concept, in a way, but with a Macross flair).

I know the original Macross came before Megazone, but as far as Macross Frontier is concerned, or at least the first episode, it reminds me of Megaonze 23 Parts 1 & 2. Cities flying through space. Aliens attacking with deadly tails and tentacles on their mecha. And the idol there, with her very militaristic outfits during the concert in this episode, reminds me of Eve during the alien attacks in Megazone, where she was reprogrammed in her new videos to be wearing a militaristic outfit.

I know these are very superficial similarities, but just thought I'd share.

The city-in-space has been something of a Macross staple since Macross 7 (and arguably since Flashback 2012). but the other ones...hmm...it never reminded me much of Megazone, but I can see a connection...

Anyway, it's a good series. It's not the Macross sequel that a lot of people were hoping for, for various reasons, but most MW'ers liked it to some degree or other, ranging from mild interest to deep love to annoyance mixed with enthusiasm. A few people here hated it, but not as many as hated, say, 7 or Zero.

Regardless, I hope you watch the whole thing, and I hope you like it! ^_^

The city-in-space has been something of a Macross staple since Macross 7 (and arguably since Flashback 2012). but the other ones...hmm...it never reminded me much of Megazone, but I can see a connection...

Anyway, it's a good series. It's not the Macross sequel that a lot of people were hoping for, for various reasons, but most MW'ers liked it to some degree or other, ranging from mild interest to deep love to annoyance mixed with enthusiasm. A few people here hated it, but not as many as hated, say, 7 or Zero.

Regardless, I hope you watch the whole thing, and I hope you like it! ^_^

Thanks.

This is the first Macross I've seen with the city in space element that really made me think of Megazone.

I've seen the original, I've seen Clash of the Bionoids (the US release of one of one of the old Macross ones; bought it on VHS when I was in middle school, I think), Macross Plus (as much of it as is available on Netflix, I know it's not the whole thing) which really bored me, Zero last week, which I really liked, and thought it was just the right length, and now Frontier.

Never saw 7.

Thanks.

This is the first Macross I've seen with the city in space element that really made me think of Megazone.

I've seen the original, I've seen Clash of the Bionoids (the US release of one of one of the old Macross ones; bought it on VHS when I was in middle school, I think), Macross Plus (as much of it as is available on Netflix, I know it's not the whole thing) which really bored me, Zero last week, which I really liked, and thought it was just the right length, and now Frontier.

Never saw 7.

Considering you don't like silly stuff, I don't think you will like 7.

You should buy and watch Macross Do you remember love though.

Considering you don't like silly stuff, I don't think you will like 7.

You should buy and watch Macross Do you remember love though.

Yeah, good memory. I don't like the silly stuff (with Scramble Wars probably being the one and only exception).

Thanks for the recommendation.

@RavenHawk: Your welcome. Macross F does get a little silly later on.

About me, I'm marathoning Tenchi Universe! (Tenchi TV!), good ol' wacky harem anime with space ships, oh my...while waiting for weekly episodes of Basquash! and Shin Mazinger.

Edited by REbirth

Recently watched:

Yukikaze:

Nice aircraft action and great designs, the CGI is a bit dated now. Slow plot with little background info, which does not have to be a bad thing, but a lot of wtf moments in the plot (or lack thereoff) annoyed me. Why am I not surprised this was a gonzo production. Almost expected Jack to sing Watashi no Kare wa Pilot.

Ghost in Shell 2 Innocence:

Seemed interesting but the subs from the dvd version I had were a bit poor. Think I missed some essential bits of information here and there. Was rather similar to Bladerunner in some aspects.

Air:

Some plot changes were abrupt and much was left open to interpretation. But so cruel...

Currently watching season 1 of Gundam 00. Just finished Macross 7 2 days ago. I do have mixed emotions with the show. While I love that Max and Miria is there, I somewhat disliked how repetitive each episode was for a long time.

Recently watched:

Yukikaze:

Nice aircraft action and great designs, the CGI is a bit dated now. Slow plot with little background info, which does not have to be a bad thing, but a lot of wtf moments in the plot (or lack thereoff) annoyed me. Why am I not surprised this was a gonzo production. Almost expected Jack to sing Watashi no Kare wa Pilot.

I watched the first 2 vols Yukikaze when they released the DVD way back when... I'm surprised you think the CG is dated. Definitely not top of the line by today's standards, but still looks pretty. Let's just put it this way - I still think Macross Zero CG quality is superb also :p .

And other than the "brokeback fighter pilot vibes" the one thing that struck me was that the Engrish was somewhat passable, a great improvement over its contemporaries!

I watched the first 2 vols Yukikaze when they released the DVD way back when... I'm surprised you think the CG is dated. Definitely not top of the line by today's standards, but still looks pretty. Let's just put it this way - I still think Macross Zero CG quality is superb also :p .

And other than the "brokeback fighter pilot vibes" the one thing that struck me was that the Engrish was somewhat passable, a great improvement over its contemporaries!

I think Macross Zero's CGI is much better intergrated with the 2d animation. In Yukikaze I often got annoyed by the style change between the two. Also while the yukikaze was very well done the backgrounds and hostiles often were not. Macross zero is less ambitious in some regards but is way better balanced and aged much better when the state-of-the art image had worn off.

Agreed on the Engrish, also the radio distorted communication was cool.

I don't mind Jack and Rei being gay, heck I could tolerate Tom Cruise in Top Gun for the sake of the F14s... Wonder if battle fairy Yukikaze is a translater injoke.

Most definitely do! But I'm wondering why your encodes are that big? I'm not complaining really, I'm actually thankful you're providing them :)

Macrossworld's own Boinger is ripping the DVDs. He uses Handbrake to do so, with the highest possible settings...it's as close to the DVD as it's possible to get, so they take up a lot of room...

Finally finished the OAV anime series of Detroit Metal City. Hilarious! I found myself laughing so hard specially at how DMC's fans behaved and over reacted, and named each and every move Krauser made. :lol:

I liked the black p*nis haircut one. Hhahahaha.

Finished watching Ride Back the day before yesterday: it's not a bad anime at all and the political stuff was rather interesting but the whole show was too short to really develop this aspect of the story; it's a shame because it really had a good potential... The mecha designs were original and rather funny but also underused IMO (i.e. not enough action scenes)

Now, I'm onto Super Robot Wars Original Generation: about 4 eps so far and it looks promising, or at least very different than I expected

Now, I'm onto Super Robot Wars Original Generation: about 4 eps so far and it looks promising, or at least very different than I expected

I stopped at ep 3 or 4. Too generic and the art was bad. I couldn't go on.

Finished watching Ride Back the day before yesterday: it's not a bad anime at all and the political stuff was rather interesting but the whole show was too short to really develop this aspect of the story; it's a shame because it really had a good potential... The mecha designs were original and rather funny but also underused IMO (i.e. not enough action scenes)

Hang with it, the end is all kinds of SRW awesoem.

Well, I'm up to episode 14 of Macross Frontier and I'm absolutely LOVING it.

It's to the point where I'm forcing myself to ration out episodes so I can make it last, and not just watch half a dozen in a row. I haven't done that since Band of Brothers.

I'll write more later, so please no one spoil it for me, but I really don't get why some people didn't like this.

I also loved the "flashback" to Macross Zero, since I just watched that a few weeks back too.

SRWOG DW is decent, not bad, not great. But the story, especially the ending part, is very rushed.

I suggest playing the GBA games (all localized by Atlus) to know the full story.

Oh well, and the OVA series (3 episodes) is quite good.

Well, I'm up to episode 14 of Macross Frontier and I'm absolutely LOVING it.

It's to the point where I'm forcing myself to ration out episodes so I can make it last, and not just watch half a dozen in a row. I haven't done that since Band of Brothers.

I'll write more later, so please no one spoil it for me, but I really don't get why some people didn't like this.

I also loved the "flashback" to Macross Zero, since I just watched that a few weeks back too.

Episode 8 cheesed a lot of people off, with Sheryl's panties getting stolen. Watching it week-by-week, I think a lot of the serious sci-fi fans felt that one was a week wasted.

For me, it was totally worth it for the shower scene and Sheryl's failed attempt at laundry. ^_^

I've been watching Valkyria Chronicles. I even started playing the game because of it. Both are quite awesome, great cast and so on. Alicia is quite different though, and Isara's eyes are inexplicably huge.