What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

She loved it. Once we wrapped up Dynamite she was sad that was the end for those characters.

Interesting comment, "The animation was fantastic!" I have to say I agree. The character animation in Macross 7 is highly underrated. The battle animation is poor, even the recycled footage which is extremely odd, but the characters are often incredibly well animated. Facial expressions especially stand out. It's kind of the opposite of Frontier in that way, I suppose.

Hmmm...I think I have to agree, although the oft-used Valkyrie transformation sequences were pretty good. Dynamite 7, though had quite good animation all around, IMHO.

She loved it. Once we wrapped up Dynamite she was sad that was the end for those characters.

Interesting comment, "The animation was fantastic!" I have to say I agree. The character animation in Macross 7 is highly underrated. The battle animation is poor, even the recycled footage which is extremely odd, but the characters are often incredibly well animated. Facial expressions especially stand out. It's kind of the opposite of Frontier in that way, I suppose.

I would argue that the character animation (and consistency) in 7 was much better than what we saw in Frontier.

Hmmm...I think I have to agree, although the oft-used Valkyrie transformation sequences were pretty good. Dynamite 7, though had quite good animation all around, IMHO.

I agree. It's really the recycled battle footage that stands out as terrible. It was very often worse than any given episode's non-recycled battle footage. Also the VF-11 launch sequence animation.

Battle 7's transformation sequence is really good.

I would argue that the character animation (and consistency) in 7 was much better than what we saw in Frontier.

I agree. Rewatching M7, especially Dynamite where they drop Fire Bomber's glam rock outfits, also made me a bit sad that Mikimoto didn't get to do the character designs for Frontier.

Non 7 bashing... Wait a minute... :::checks url:: this couldn't possibly be Macross World...?! ;)

Been Just finished Exosquad & Freedom, and I was really surprised by Freedom, almost sorry I wanted for the bluray sale at rightstuf to get it, really should have picked it up sooner. Now I'm slowly making my way through Fruits Basket, not a bad show by any means, just doesn't reach out and grab me.

Guyver TV is good, but a little drawn out i think. i wish it was a bit shorter. Also it gets a bit repetitive; They run, get attacked, fight and have a soul wrenching moment. Rince, repeat 4 or 5 times. Its not bad, just not great either.

Im watching Black Lagoon s1, which so far is pretty awesome.

Wait until you get to the part where you see Mr. Chan

in action. Reminds me of some old school movies starring Chow Yun Fat.

:D

Black lagoon s1 was awesome for me. Loving Revy.. and that was even before i knew that she's also voiced by our very own klan klan. :)

Just finished watching the 1st episode of the 2nd barrage... looks to be even bloodier than s1 so far.

...snip

Also loved that they had Mami Koyama a.k.a. Kycilla Zabi from MSG voicing Balalaika a.k.a. Fry Face. :) When some one pointed out that Balalaika was voiced by Mami Koyama I instantly though that this must be how Kycilla looked after receiving an RPG to the face. :lol:

Episode 4 of K-ON....they just upped the moe level on Mio.

Mio's a fun character, she's like Kagami without the tsundere. Tbh the whole group gives the Lucky Star vibe. Fun, cute and quircky personalities.

Just finished Kanon. Ouch, I so underestimated that series. The intro-episodes were a bit misleading. The story starts off in a lighthearted manner with Mokoto and Ayu having rather simple personalities. Until the character origins become clear... The Shiori/Kaori arc was very powerful. Let's just say I've been in that position and the way the writers handeled it was frighteningly realistic while taking some liberties it still avoids becoming overly dramatic.

The plot pattern makes things a bit predictable. Still it annoys me that it took me ages to figure out Ayu, while the hints were in plain view... The ending was very clever aswell.

The animation is very good and the lighting, music and directing create a surreal atmosphere. In some ways it reminds me of Groundhog Day.

Can't help but like these Moe characters.... Dammit :blink:

Mio's a fun character, she's like Kagami without the tsundere. Tbh the whole group gives the Lucky Star vibe. Fun, cute and quircky personalities.

Just finished Kanon. Ouch, I so underestimated that series. The intro-episodes were a bit misleading. The story starts off in a lighthearted manner with Mokoto and Ayu having rather simple personalities. Until the character origins become clear... The Shiori/Kaori arc was very powerful. Let's just say I've been in that position and the way the writers handeled it was frighteningly realistic while taking some liberties it still avoids becoming overly dramatic.

The plot pattern makes things a bit predictable. Still it annoys me that it took me ages to figure out Ayu, while the hints were in plain view... The ending was very clever aswell.

The animation is very good and the lighting, music and directing create a surreal atmosphere. In some ways it reminds me of Groundhog Day.

Can't help but like these Moe characters.... Dammit :blink:

No one has coined it yet but i'd like to call characters like Kagamin and Mio as Tsukkomi-ko...or tsukkomi girl. They will be the ones who always lash out at the stupidity of the "boke" (idiot), which in K-on would be Ritsu. Konata isn't quite boke material but i guess she could be considered. Tsundere i'd reserve more for those who antagonise you but slowly grow to like you, like Makoto.

Kanon's pretty awesome, if you can get over the moe that most ppl here seem adverse to. I can't remember if they included it in the 2006 version (the one you watched) where Ayu bumps into Shiori and there was a paper cutter that fell off her bag.

Only apparent later in the series that she wanted to kill herself for her sister's sake. In the game, Shiori succumbed to her disease.

:(

I highly recommend Air and Clannad after Kanon if your heart can take it.

No one has coined it yet but i'd like to call characters like Kagamin and Mio as Tsukkomi-ko...or tsukkomi girl. They will be the ones who always lash out at the stupidity of the "boke" (idiot), which in K-on would be Ritsu. Konata isn't quite boke material but i guess she could be considered. Tsundere i'd reserve more for those who antagonise you but slowly grow to like you, like Makoto.

Kanon's pretty awesome, if you can get over the moe that most ppl here seem adverse to. I can't remember if they included it in the 2006 version (the one you watched) where Ayu bumps into Shiori and there was a paper cutter that fell off her bag.

Only apparent later in the series that she wanted to kill herself for her sister's sake. In the game, Shiori succumbed to her disease.

:(

I highly recommend Air and Clannad after Kanon if your heart can take it.

Yea, the Tsukkomi classifaction is a better description, given their duo acts with the "rebel" of the show. However it requires even more background info. I did not know about the terms till I did some reading up on non mecha anime genres a while back.

Tsundere, moe etc all those terms seem to be facing some major dillution in anime discussions. I guess any female character (and some males) gets called Tsundere when they are antagonistic but have a kind side even when they are not "real" tsunderes.

Air and Clannad are next on my list of shows to watch, Kyoani still has a 100% succes score with me.

Afro Samurai 1S was ok - some interesting character design concepts and ideas: Giant Teddy bear mecha samurai, a proper mecha samurai :p, Ninja who speaks in modern "urban vernacular", a gunslinger as the final boss.

The story seems to be lacking some soul, as the action pretty much flows from "Violent Scene A" --> "Violent Scene B."

I wouldn't say it's bad, but not terrifically good either. It's worth watching at least once.

Just watched Macross Zero and Blue Gender.

Macross Zero: Pleasantly surprised by it, since I haven't had much interest in Macross in many years. Gorgeous animation, and an Earth-based story, which appealed to me.

Blue Gender: Ssaw an episode on Cartoon Network years back, but stopped watching when I realized it wasn't a MOSPEADA sequel, lol. Decided to check it out now, after watching the Starship Troopers anime, which I liked a lot. It was actually very good, much better than you would expect from a lot of people's apparent hatred of it. Fairly realistic mecha, realistic casualty rates, nice and gradual character development. Really the only fault with it, in my opinion, is the ending, which made minimal sense (though I'm sure everyone who has seen it has theories on it, if they care), but that's pretty standard of a lot of anime, especially ones like this which were cut short by 10 episodes.

I'm watching the Blue Gender: The Warrior movie now, though so far it's almost a shot-for-shot remake of the show, with identical looking animation, same voice cast and dialog most of the time, etc., just some minor conversations that are different, and Yugi's hair.

Just watched Sky Crawlers, it's probably one of more interesting animes that I seen recently. With this type of story, you expect a more futuristic setting but instead you get a WW2-esque European setting. Not to mention the sparse dogfights were pretty awesome. Also, ending made me :(

I've no clue why they decided to practically do just about half the movie in Engrish. Though it isn't really that horrible at all, it could almost pass off as actual English at times :p

Just watched Sky Crawlers, it's probably one of more interesting animes that I seen recently. With this type of story, you expect a more futuristic setting but instead you get a WW2-esque European setting. Not to mention the sparse dogfights were pretty awesome. Also, ending made me :(

I've no clue why they decided to practically do just about half the movie in Engrish. Though it isn't really that horrible at all, it could almost pass off as actual English at times :p

Was this made after Avalon? Would make sense, with main characters speaking Japanese, except when flying, when they speak Engrish, and ackground townspeople speak Polish.

Was this made after Avalon? Would make sense, with main characters speaking Japanese, except when flying, when they speak Engrish, and ackground townspeople speak Polish.

Actually, yeah. It was made after Avalon, it was released in 2008. Though I didn't hear any Polish in the background though...

Actually, yeah. It was made after Avalon, it was released in 2008. Though I didn't hear any Polish in the background though...

When they go bowling in the village all of the background characters and girls in the bowling alley are speaking Polish. The signs in the village are in Polish too.

just finished watching Michiko to Hatchin. watched the first ep some months ago and left it at that. when i started watching ep2 last night, it was because i just wanted to see michiko again because she was so hot. ended up doing a marathon and couldn't quite figure out why i couldn't stop, nor why at the end of it i decided i liked the series. perhaps because the latin american setting was atypical for anime? or the simplicity of the plot was refreshing? or that it blurred the lines between kids and adults?

though the ending leaves the possibility of a sequel, i'm pretty sure i don't want one. but for whatever it offered in these 22 episodes, i'm glad i watched it.

Just finished Rocket Girls last night. Nice little throw away 12 episode show. Pretty reasonable artwork and voice acting. Picked up some interesting tid bits on the Apollo 11 mission.

The world would be doomed to destruction if it wasn't for teenage Japanese girls :rolleyes:

About to wade into Tytania. I've got the ANBU version. I hope they have some good translators as I heard it uses some pretty old & formal japanese.

Here's an actual list of what I'm watching :)

Full Metal Alchemist 2

SDF Macross (remastered; huge-ass rips that boggle my mind =\)

Toaru Majutsu no Index

Tears to Tiara (I guess I'm watching this one)

Valkyria Chronicles :)

Tower of Druaga ~Aegis of Uruk~

Tower of Druaga ~Sword of Uruk~

I recommend Tower of Druaga ~Aegis of Uruk~, this anime is one helluva surprise as I didn't really expect much from it but oh wow, this is really good. Didn't even know it was based off a really old PC Engine game too. I'm really looking forward to the Sword of Uruk.

anybody watching Examurai Sengoku? i want to know if this anime is good.

Dunno bud, but I'll let you know hopefully by sunday.

As far as anime.. i'm still hooked on Major..duno why..

for the Tower of Druaga, which one is first?

After a hiatus, I came back to anime a few days ago with the Gurren Lagann movie: it has its strong points, but almost all of them come from the footage of the original series; the rest is watchable but disappointing, mainly because of its awkward pace. All in all, it's the typical "TV series to movie" fail

I began watching Rideback yesterday. I love how the "hero" of the show finds itself piloting the main mecha of the story: a bit of originality doesn't hurt. Second ep was more expected but rather entertaining nonetheless; I think I'll keep watching the whole series

Been marathoning Toradora. I thought it was going to be another one of those tsundere love comedy things but was plesantly surprised that the character development and interactions actually run pretty deep. Drama build up was pretty good as well without feeling too over melodramatic.

This movie is excelent, I recomend rewatch and focus on female character, also watch the end of credits list ... if you dont.

Been marathoning Toradora. I thought it was going to be another one of those tsundere love comedy things but was plesantly surprised that the character development and interactions actually run pretty deep. Drama build up was pretty good as well without feeling too over melodramatic.

yeah, it surprise me too, exelent anime, I recomend to everyone.

Edited by SVF-Gerwalk

This movie is excelent, I recomend rewatch and focus on female character, also watch the end of credits list ...

Actually, I was kinda focusing on her and I did watch after the credits :). But I'll watch it again.

yeah, it surprise me too, exelent anime, I recomend to everyone.

My only nitpick about Toradora is that Ami never got a chance :'(