Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

Yeah, I can see that. And yeah, the swords fit that motif. But that still begs the question, why is Megatron a samurai all the sudden, and where'd the fusion cannon from the artwork go?

Swords only, no interest. Fusion cannon? Now I'm interested. Fusion cannon *and* swords. Even better.

Thanks RD Blade, it's cool we can swap, as i love the blue equally as the red.
No prob. Here's what BBTS said about it.

The figure will have an LED light in the right fist for the ability to light up the gun and the sword. The eyes can also change colors in both modes, and the figure is partly made up of die cast construction.

Wicked.

Anyone think they might bring out the other Dinobots?

Nah. It would be too much of a risk in terms of sales. If they do one other Dinobot, then they'll be expected to do the remaining three.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Soundwave is next.

Nah. It would be too much of a risk in terms of sales. If they do one other Dinobot, then they'll be expected to do the remaining three.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Soundwave is next.

I thought MP3 player Soundwave was the official MP Soundwave.

And I STILL say they should've made him use CompactFlash cards and included "dummy" CF cards that transformed into Laserbeak and Ravage.

MP Grimlock's bot mode looks good in color but the cartoon styled dino mode will always be the toy's greatest drawback for me. Also, I'd much rather they'd scrapped the light up energo sword. That way the articulation in the right hand wouldn't have to be sacrificed for the LED and the sword wouldn't be transparent (not keen on the idea that you'd have to turn on the LED for the sword to be red). Not a fan of such gimmicks in a high end collector's toy.

Anyhow, ~$150 is a lot to spend on a transforming figure which has only one mode I like. There are quite a few other figures released in the coming 3-4 months that I'd much rather spend the cash on (DX超合金 VF-25, Alternity GT-R & Fairlady Z, re-issue 1/60 VF-1S and possibly VF-11B etc.)

Unfortunately I think you're in the minority, as the almost masturbatory G1 accuracy is the big draw for alot of people to the figure...

It is for me! I'm not ashamed to admit the near-perfect G1 representation is what got me to preorder this in seconds. I've always loved the G1 Grimlock cartoon character (screw all this "he's really super intelligent but has a 'speech impediment'" comic bs), and this looks just like him. As a child I was a fan of the show before I ever held a Transformers toy. As an adult, my nostalgia/fondness for the cartoon characters (the G1 movie especially) is why I continue to collect Transformers to this day. I love the Masterpiece line for its nods to G1. I originally collected BTs and Alternators for that same reason, but have come to realize that Classics/Universe/Henkei is doing a far better job at bringing the G1 goodness. From what I've gathered, the entire point of the Masterpiece line is to update the G1 toys and melding them as close as their cartoon models as possible. Works for me! LOVE this Grimlock.

I kind of agree about how the LED light up sword is bad. I too don't like such gimmicks in high end toys...(then again, maybe I shouldn't talk since I'm the only person on Earth lobbying for a Bandai VF-25 Mikhael custom with light up flashing concert lights and recording of Ranka's song) ... but in general - keep the electronics out of the high end stuff and focus on making it as accurate to the original as possible.

The "silly" Dino mode is... courageous! I mean - I was always sceptical of an MP Grimlock because I reasoned to myself thus: "Takara will shoot down this idea because no one wants to buy a silly dino mode when the anatomy of the T-Rex is now understood to be so very different."

But then again - I should have been smarter - when you consider how many "silly" looking "goofy" robots and "monsters" there are in the Soul of Chogokin line that still sell for high prices; you understand that collectors items are...well...collectors items :)

So yeah - I'm happy and I'm getting him.

Pete

It is for me! I'm not ashamed to admit the near-perfect G1 representation is what got me to preorder this in seconds. I've always loved the G1 Grimlock cartoon character (screw all this "he's really super intelligent but has a 'speech impediment'" comic bs), and this looks just like him. As a child I was a fan of the show before I ever held a Transformers toy. As an adult, my nostalgia/fondness for the cartoon characters (the G1 movie especially) is why I continue to collect Transformers to this day. I love the Masterpiece line for its nods to G1. I originally collected BTs and Alternators for that same reason, but have come to realize that Classics/Universe/Henkei is doing a far better job at bringing the G1 goodness. From what I've gathered, the entire point of the Masterpiece line is to update the G1 toys and melding them as close as their cartoon models as possible. Works for me! LOVE this Grimlock.

For me i early birded Grimlock the second after it caught my eye on hlj.com. This is without seeing decent sketches of him. LOVE this Grimlock.

I love the light up functions on Grim, the light up sword is fine with me, gonna look great in the display at night.

And the fact we can have both blue and red for eyes is brilliant.

Lots of gimmicks make it all the more special. Only thing i wish they didn't include is the brain helmet and sucker, that's dumb.

Never saw the episode as well, so if they got rid of that to save 10 bucks off the final price i would have been happy.

Dunno, i think the maid outfit and drinks coaster is kinda funny, i could use it for another figure.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Only thing i wish they didn't include is the brain helmet and sucker, that's dumb.

Never saw the episode

Great episode! A freak accident makes Grimlock a super genius. He goes from "me, Grimlock" to "I, Grimlock". Then he creates the Technobots, they form Computron, but Computron is unable to process data well. So Grimlock donates his intelligence to Computron (via the brain helmet) and goes back to being dumb. :wacko:

For me i early birded Grimlock the second after it caught my eye on hlj.com. This is without seeing decent sketches of him. LOVE this Grimlock.

I love the light up functions on Grim, the light up sword is fine with me, gonna look great in the display at night.

And the fact we can have both blue and red for eyes is brilliant.

Lots of gimmicks make it all the more special. Only thing i wish they didn't include is the brain helmet and sucker, that's dumb.

Never saw the episode as well, so if they got rid of that to save 10 bucks off the final price i would have been happy.

Dunno, i think the maid outfit and drinks coaster is kinda funny, i could use it for another figure.

And I F* missed the early bird <_<. Damn thing went up and down too fast...

Me needs feeling of secureness or me scared. Me needs a preorder's pending doom of wallet rape to feel better now.

Great episode! A freak accident makes Grimlock a super genius. He goes from "me, Grimlock" to "I, Grimlock". Then he creates the Technobots, they form Computron, but Computron is unable to process data well. So Grimlock donates his intelligence to Computron (via the brain helmet) and goes back to being dumb. :wacko:

Hey, I do remember seeing that episode as a kid! Always liked when they created new transformers. Specially gestalts.

Edited by Twoducks

I hated that episode. Plus, the Technobots are the lamest of G1 gestalts.

Way too much info: When I got G1 Grimlock for Christmas back in 86(?), I was so excited I threw up. Luckily, he was still MISB at that moment, so he was fine.

I hated that episode. Plus, the Technobots are the lamest of G1 gestalts.

Way too much info: When I got G1 Grimlock for Christmas back in 86(?), I was so excited I threw up. Luckily, he was still MISB at that moment, so he was fine.

Way too much info indeed! :p

As for the season of Transformers after the 1986 movie, I never could stand it. Crappy animation and even crappier stories.

I dunno. I liked season 3 - largely because it broadened the span of Transformers, taking things off of Earth proper and making it a more galaxy/universe spanning struggle. Also, thanks to this, there was a lot more focus on the Transformers as characters, rather than on The Transformers in a particular situation.

Sure, there were some poorly animated episodes, but for the most part I think it was well rounded, annd certainly no worse than the previous two season.

In fact, my least favorite off all the season is ironically...season 1. Mainly because, other than a very few truly good stories (like Countdown to Oblivion), nothing much happens. We just have the "Introduce the Transformers" episode, and then the "Introduce Skyfire" episode, the "Introduce the Dinobots" episode, the "Introduce the Insecticons" episode, and the "Introduce Devastator" Episode.

Season 2 is where things really pick up the pace. If anything, season 3 has the downside of going too far out in some cases, but it still remains a good season, Episodes like Ghost in the Machine, Dark Awakening or the one where Galvatron gets sent to a psychotheraputic world are great. Also, I think Five Faces of Darkness is probably the best Transformers story out there for sheer scope and cohesiveness (at least in terms of G1)

Pete

I liked season 3 as well. It was clear that the writing was aimed at more sophisticated minds when compared to the previous 2 seasons. And Rodimus, while hated by fans for being the cause of Optimus' death, was a badass with a sharp wit...when he wasn't whining, of course. ;)

Sure, there were some poorly animated episodes, but for the most part I think it was well rounded, annd certainly no worse than the previous two season.

Pete

Carnage in C-minor anybody? My brother showed me that episode and I swear the writers AND animators were drunk and high when doing this episode.

People who want to dissamble their Masterpiece Transformers are brave :)

As for Carnage in C Minor - I never saw it, heard it was terrible though... But one rotten episode a bad season does not make :)

Pete

Anyone know of a thread that has good disassembly tips for the MP Starscream mold? I've been checking all the sites I know, but have come up with very little.

I'll second that request. The hinges on one of his wings dissolved, for lack of a better description. Since they toy's now a wash anyway, any DIY info that could lead to me repairing it would be great.

OMG---*amazing* custom MP Dirge/Thrust/Ramjet:

http://www.jafdesign.net/toysites/forum/to...amp;whichpage=2 (pics of painted ones on page 4/5)

:o WOW! :o

Just seeing 9 of those things together looks impresive. The rest is pure awesome

BTW David... That X-mas Avatar is very disturbing. I'm sure that that harpy would only give out herpes flavoured candy canes :lol: .

Edited by Twoducks

Hey, I have my idea for NEXT Xmas' Grace avatar already. (or I may switch to it later in the month, if I make it) :)

PS--I figured her stuff would be dosed with "Witchcraft 639". ;) You know, an Xmas episode of Frontier would be awesome...

just got battle rollar. looks great for mp optimus and it doesn't remind me of any bayformer designs. nice packaging too like the hasbro exclusives.

i wish i could find exclusive macross toys and parts at more reasonable prices.