Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

QUOTE (eugimon @ Oct 22 2008, 08:37 AM) *

MP Grimlock is disappointing.

I have to agree. The resin proto pic was underwhelming and while this art makes it look a little better, the higher than usual retail price for an MP figure is making me think twice about getting one.

The complaints about Grimlock's simple engineering are understandable.

In fact - when the first rumors of MP-08 being Grimlock broke - I was like "NO WAY (as in literally no way!) - because Masterpiece is all about complex transformations and engineering, and Grimlock is a big simple dino, with an 80s understanding of how T-rexes stood"

But - apparently they did make him.

Look - you can't expect Grimlock to be any more complex than what you saw in the cartoon.

Consider this a big dumb T-rex with a bow tie and Brain-enhancement device or whatever that thing is and be happy.

The higher price might just be due to higher production costs and not just a taller MP...

In fact - I might be wrong - but I think Grimlock represents the new MP price point.

Could be wrong - but that's my guess.

Given that Macross and SOC sell for roughly that much - it's no wonder Takara-Tomy uped their price too - especially considering that their costs have risen pretty steadily anyways.

But maybe I'm wrong about this.

As for the question of durability/toys...

well... I'm a guy who even plays with his Gundam models so....

As for Alternators: I ultimately gave up on liking them. The Bluestreak and Hound, Jazz, Skids and Tracks molds were the only ones worth picking up because all the rest of them were just wrong (Prowl was wrong, and Grimlock was utterly wrong) in terms of deviating from the character.

Also- they were just so out of scale with every other TF I had.

I don't miss them a bit.

I MIGHT end up getting Alternity Convoy - but he's just candy, kind of like Hybrid Convoy was a while ago...

Pete

TFW2005 has concept art for Soundwave and Ravage in ROTF.

Note that writer Roberto Orci has mentioned that Soundwave will not be a pickup in the movie so its either misinformation or this concept art will not be used.

soundwaveravagebz6.jpg

Edited by IXTL

TFW2005 has concept art for Soundwave and Ravage in ROTF.

Note that writer Roberto Orci has mentioned that Soundwave will not be a pickup in the movie so its either misinformation or this concept art will not be used.

soundwaveravagebz6.jpg

Or Orci just doesn't know what it looks like and heard the name of the truck (which might not be called a pick-up officially)?

The design sucks. Just another generic bot with a big name slapped on him. And WTF is ravage? Didn't I see him in some generic robot movie already??? Epic fail like the rest of the movie franchise...

The complaints about Grimlock's simple engineering are understandable.

In fact - when the first rumors of MP-08 being Grimlock broke - I was like "NO WAY (as in literally no way!) - because Masterpiece is all about complex transformations and engineering, and Grimlock is a big simple dino, with an 80s understanding of how T-rexes stood"

But - apparently they did make him.

Look - you can't expect Grimlock to be any more complex than what you saw in the cartoon.

Consider this a big dumb T-rex with a bow tie and Brain-enhancement device or whatever that thing is and be happy.

The higher price might just be due to higher production costs and not just a taller MP...

In fact - I might be wrong - but I think Grimlock represents the new MP price point.

Could be wrong - but that's my guess.

Pete

No no... I get that.. I'm just saying, for me, personally... I understand that there's no need unless they radically changed the dino design to something more modern.

I can only hold out hope that the dino mode is incredibly articulated and that the tail and neck have some posability.

Yeah - the tail and neck BETTER have poseability.

I mean - one of the main reasons why I thought that G1 Grimlock would be impossible to do as a Masterpiece is because in order to do it- you'd need to make what is effectively a "one piece" tail move fluidly without doing what they did with say, Classics Grimlock.

I mean - the T-REX better NOT be a giant BRICK :) that would be insane... :)

As to Alternity being in scale with most deluxe cars - that is a plus. But still.

And finally...

Or Orci just doesn't know what it looks like and heard the name of the truck (which might not be called a pick-up officially)?

The design sucks. Just another generic bot with a big name slapped on him. And WTF is ravage? Didn't I see him in some generic robot movie already??? Epic fail like the rest of the movie franchise...

Sadly I agree.

That design reminds me of Depthcharge from Beast Wars.

And Ravage looks like the Alien dog from Alien 3.

In fact - no way - sorry - but soundwave's Crotch is a Chevi grill... umm .... no. No way. That CAN'T be it.

Then again - when I first saw Monkeyscream I also thought "nooooo waaaayyy" ....

I'll admit that onscreen - Starscream didn't even look half bad. Maybe these will also look better on screen...

But...

generally...

this is why I don't buy movie toys (other than the fact that they don't even look like the...um... movie tfs :) )

Pete

i'm sure that mp grimlock will not have a super protruding chest with its head so far back like the original g1 figure and will be cool and posable in both modes. its transformation will probably be similar or a little more complex compared to the original. i'm glad i preordered it. here's hoping that hlj will have it cheaper for preorder after shipping than bbts. bring on the rest of the mp dinobots and a lot of the other g1 characters.

Edited by sh002

yahobby.com sells the ko g1 transformers. i got the reflector since the original is way too expensive and i doubt it will be reissued.

hasbrotoyshop.com has classics/universe brawn, beachcomber, starscream, cyclonus, hound, and cheetor along with others.

Don't forget to use promo code MDCREW for 20% off ...

:)

Edited by Vermillion21

I just made a very hard decision I'm going to be parting with my G1 Optimus Prime (almost complete and has box and everything)... I've had some tough times lately and I decided even though I love collecting different Primes... a re-issue will do just as nicely and I can pick one up down the road for a lot less then I can sell the G1 for...

oh well. it was nice to have it.

The latest hobby magazines have reported that MP Grimlock will only be as tall as MP Starscream in bot mode, approx. 20cm which means it will be a rather small toy with a huge price tag.

Well - that just goes to confirm what I thought: the new MP price is a reflection of rising costs of production etc etc etc and not of a huge toy.

This was to be expected. The "old" MP price has been around for what?...4 years now? Since G1 Prime pretty much.

New year - new higher price tag to reflect higher costs.

Pete

Well - that just goes to confirm what I thought: the new MP price is a reflection of rising costs of production etc etc etc and not of a huge toy.

This was to be expected. The "old" MP price has been around for what?...4 years now? Since G1 Prime pretty much.

New year - new higher price tag to reflect higher costs.

Pete

Well that is sad...

Grimlock's price tag is still pretty decent compared to what we pay for CM's or SOC stuff. Also, we know very little about Grimlock's transformation so far. What might look simplistic probably is not. Just look at what they did for Classics Cyclonus. You thought the legs were formed just by pulling on them, but no, front and rear leg halves are hinged and meet to form the lower legs. I'm sure Grimlock will have a bunch of cool little surprises. When you look at MP Megatron, he looks like he transforms like the G1 version, but we all know how complex he is.

Edited by Dr. Z

Grimlock's price tag is still pretty decent compared to what we pay for CM's or SOC stuff. Also, we know very little about Grimlock's transformation so far. What might look simplistic probably is not. Just look at what they did for Classics Cyclonus. You thought the legs were formed just by pulling on them, but no, front and rear leg halves are hinged and meet to form the lower legs. I'm sure Grimlock will have a bunch of cool little surprises. When you look at MP Megatron, he looks like he transforms like the G1 version, but we all know how complex he is.

What was the price of the mp japanese starscream? I remember the walmart exclusive mp starscream was 49.99.

What was the price of the mp japanese starscream? I remember the walmart exclusive mp starscream was 49.99.

The Hasbro versions of the MPs were always roughly 50 bucks - but they also majorly sucked - at least I thought so. Hasbro MP Prime was available in the following versions:

a) Dirty with short smoke-stacks

b) loose floppy joints, a miscolored gun and body and short smokestacks

I also don't like the Hasbro MP Starscream.

And people who complain that Kawamori's Starscream isn't G1 accurate can eat their heart out because this is the correct color scheme as seen in the original Marvel comics - and it wasn't a one off error - several issues present Starscream with this scheme:

ifd5df.jpg

So Kawamori's Starscream is not only real-life accurate as a jet, but actually IS G1 accurate in terms of colors.

Always prefered comic Starscream to cartoon anyways :)

Pete

I like Greenscream better too. The red is too orangy on the Wal-Mart version and I don't like the unpainted chest missile pods. And the packaging is better for MP-03. I have 20th Prime, I don't mind the battle damage deco but I'm getting long stacks soon from A3U. And to be fair, most MP-04 suffer from misaligned chest panels, so all is not perfect in MP land. :)

Edited by Dr. Z

those hasbrotoyshop codes don't work for me. preordered inferno, starscream, cyclonus, and hound. a few bucks cheaper than bbts.

Edited by sh002

I just made a very hard decision I'm going to be parting with my G1 Optimus Prime (almost complete and has box and everything)... I've had some tough times lately and I decided even though I love collecting different Primes... a re-issue will do just as nicely and I can pick one up down the road for a lot less then I can sell the G1 for...

Have you read the reviews for the Hasbro 25th Anniversary Prime? Apparently it is utter crap.

This review is from Ryan, the admin of Seibertron.com.

Apparently he usually defends Hasbro when people have gripes. Not this time:

25th Anniversary Optimus Prime review

This reissue of Optimus Prime is, without a doubt, THE worst official reissue ever as far as authenticity and quality goes.

And apparently it's pink... Pinktimus Prime... :(

r_25thoptimusprime179.jpg

Edited by Tober

Don't do it.

You will totally regret it.

Depressions come and go.

Generation 1 Optimus Prime doesn't.

Keep it.

Pete

I don't know if it's still the case, but you could find long G1 Prime replacement smokestacks, sometimes even in diecast, on ebay. I bought a set a couple of years ago, and they were pretty nice. I'm sure there'll be demand again with this new re-issue, as low qc as it may be.

I'm also just a tiny bit dissappointed by the new Classics Cyclonus pics. The colors were perfect in the first official pictures, and now he looks more like a toy. I mean, it's still a must get, but it went from perfect to pretty damn nice.

Anyone have any idea when the legends scale animated figures are hitting the shelves?

Armed with 2 gats and a voice box yo!

True dat! Rawket lawnchaas in da house! Fo' shizzle. Or something.

For some reason, I can't type that class of weapon properly anymore. Every time I try, I hear the Metal Slug powerup voice.

Edited by JB0