Each Fleet NMC Battle section is unique?

RedWolf

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to disagree, mostly going on artistic liberty based on a small drawing of a ship not meant for too much scrutiny. I've no problem believing that each Macross battle section is different, but there should be no problem to assume that there are several of each variant too. With 25+ fleets out there, there is certainly room for both.

Mark

I tend to disagree, mostly going on artistic liberty based on a small drawing of a ship not meant for too much scrutiny. I've no problem believing that each Macross battle section is different, but there should be no problem to assume that there are several of each variant too. With 25+ fleets out there, there is certainly room for both.

Agreed. You can't tell much from a small drawing. For a ship that's suppose to be ~7-8 km in total length, the camera has to sit pretty far back to capture everything in the image.

Agreed. You can't tell much from a small drawing. For a ship that's suppose to be ~7-8 km in total length, the camera has to sit pretty far back to capture everything in the image.

Well, if its drawn in CG then there must be a 3D model somewhere, I demand a 3ds or obj file of it so we Macross Nerds could analyze it more :ph34r:

Well, if its drawn in CG then there must be a 3D model somewhere, I demand a 3ds or obj file of it so we Macross Nerds could analyze it more :ph34r:

the Macross 1 is hand drawn, as is every image of the 7.

and I'm sticking with the idea that all of them are NMC class ships, and that each one is different but still part of the same class (these are big ships which take a long time to do. it's not like a fighter that roles off an assembly line)

The differences between ships of the New Macross type are pretty extreme for ships purportedly of the same class. Real-world aircraft carriers are the slowest-built naval units in the world, and even with thirty years between the Nimitz and the Truman, the differences amount to changes in the sponsons and the antenna farm on the island. Only the latest two units of the class differ significantly, and they're specifically meant to be evolutionary steps toward a new class.

New Macross ships are churned out at a rate of at least one per year, which is four times as fast as the Nimitz class, which given their size pretty much requires multiple sources. A comparable building program in this case is the Ticonderoga class cruiser. which apart from the first five units don't differ externally at all, over a twenty year period.

In light of that, I'm beginning to consider the New Macross "class" as a "type" instead, such as "super carrier". A "New Macross"-type ship (battle section) has a defined size, role and general arrangement, but the exact specifications are mutable. They're not interchangeable. (Looking at the differences in the stern of each ship will tell you that you won't easily dock the wrong battle section to a city...)

Also, did anyone notice that the Battle Frontier has two independent main gun systems in its gunship? Macross 5, 7 and 13 didn't have the underslung beam gun that Frontier uses in episode 19 to clear away the Vajra (or at least there's no indication of it). The beam that the Galaxy fires at Frontier (that takes out Frontier's gun) is fired from the quad barrel structure, and is a different color from Frontier's continous beam...

SP

The differences between ships of the New Macross type are pretty extreme for ships purportedly of the same class. Real-world aircraft carriers are the slowest-built naval units in the world, and even with thirty years between the Nimitz and the Truman, the differences amount to changes in the sponsons and the antenna farm on the island. Only the latest two units of the class differ significantly, and they're specifically meant to be evolutionary steps toward a new class.

It's fiction, if the Hory Froating Head and his cohorts want that level of differentiation between ships of the same class, then they shall have it. (And this is just the NMC class battle sections were' talking about - the Battle 5, Battle 7 and Battle 13 contain numerous differences from each other and that's ebfore we take into consideration Battle Frontier and Galaxy).

Also, did anyone notice that the Battle Frontier has two independent main gun systems in its gunship? Macross 5, 7 and 13 didn't have the underslung beam gun that Frontier uses in episode 19 to clear away the Vajra (or at least there's no indication of it). The beam that the Galaxy fires at Frontier (that takes out Frontier's gun) is fired from the quad barrel structure, and is a different color from Frontier's continous beam...

SP

They all have the same (or similar) underslung beam gun, it's just that only Battle Frontier is shown firing it in carrier mode.

The NMC25 looked fairly standard to the general appearance of previously seen warships.

The noticable differences are in the components that make up the Attacker mode, shoulders in particular and the gun emplacements.

The NMC21 looks like a standard NMC superstructure with modifications.

The Galaxy fleet was corporately sponsored so it was outside the standard government conventions with respect to fleet construction.

In the Macross universe, it is common to immediately change things on cap ships or fighters with new technology all the time. So various differences between the ships is to be expected IMO.

I was thinking to make a Flash game with the title "Design your own NMC" which feature different design for the arm, torso, leg/engine, shoulder, gunship and bridge. Player could assemble them as they like. Too bad I'm not very good at writing Flash animation.....

Edited by Morpheus