Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.2

Graham

Well - I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade; particularly people living in the USA, but here's my view about this whole Bandai/Toynami/HG thing:

I HOPE the deal fell through. I HOPE Toynami and HG are kept as far away as possible from Macross Frontier.

Why?

Because I don't trust them. I don't trust them to do what's right for fans, for Macross, for the franchise. They have already done enough damage to Macross as it is. I do not believe that they will miraculously do an about face and find mutual interest in cooperating with Bandai or any other Japanese based part of the Macross puzzle.

I do not believe it because from my point of view, they have never shown any effort over the past years to be anything but negative. Letters sent out to dealers in the USA threatening legal action - that's pretty much all they have been doing. Meanwhile companies like Yamato have been engineering beautiful works of art and companies like Bandai have been risking large amounts of capital to sponsor a show as great as Macross: Frontier.

And now Toynami and HG just want a piece of the action?

Sorry - no way. Shouldn't happen. If Bandai are smart they will stay away from these people. Their credibility as a business partner is ZERO.

There are plenty of other potential partners in the USA with whom one could eventually come to some kind of deal rather than resorting to dealing with people who have a history of litigating rather than cooperating.

Pete

man, I'm pretty meh about the Bandai 1/60 Frontier toys. I'm just gonna wait and see for a detailed review from folks here first. These exclusives make me want to get these even less. I think I'm gonna just get one but even then I'm still not completely sold. I might just invest all my moneys in the Macross Quarter instead.

I would like to get the VF-25G set comes with 1/60 Ranka Lee (25mm), Speakers and Super Fold Booster.

Why exclusive? :o

Eh....exclusives just drive up the cost and calls for bragging rights. They are made for the "serious/hardcore" collectors or those people like me who sell stuff on ebay(serious cha-ching). You got to hand it to them though, At some point we're all trying to make more ways of getting uber money.

To me exclusives are just plain bulls-hit....but very mesmerizing indeed.....

daflip702: "Ooooh look at that, gotta have, gotta have."

Wallet: "Bloody fk-n murder!!!!!"

Look like i got to call the proxy services.

Well - I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade; particularly people living in the USA, but here's my view about this whole Bandai/Toynami/HG thing:

I HOPE the deal fell through. I HOPE Toynami and HG are kept as far away as possible from Macross Frontier.

Why?

Because I don't trust them. I don't trust them to do what's right for fans, for Macross, for the franchise. They have already done enough damage to Macross as it is. I do not believe that they will miraculously do an about face and find mutual interest in cooperating with Bandai or any other Japanese based part of the Macross puzzle.

I do not believe it because from my point of view, they have never shown any effort over the past years to be anything but negative. Letters sent out to dealers in the USA threatening legal action - that's pretty much all they have been doing. Meanwhile companies like Yamato have been engineering beautiful works of art and companies like Bandai have been risking large amounts of capital to sponsor a show as great as Macross: Frontier.

And now Toynami and HG just want a piece of the action?

Sorry - no way. Shouldn't happen. If Bandai are smart they will stay away from these people. Their credibility as a business partner is ZERO.

There are plenty of other potential partners in the USA with whom one could eventually come to some kind of deal rather than resorting to dealing with people who have a history of litigating rather than cooperating.

Pete

the problem with that though is THERE IS NO ONE ELSE that BW/Bandai/Yamato/ can work with when it comes to importing Macross toys into the US. Whether or not HG actually holds the rights that they say they do, and whether or not what they're doing is right or acceptable form a moral and/or legal standpoint is ultimately irrelevant, the fact is that HG has a stranglehold on all things macross in the US and Toynami is the only company that they've given distribution rights to.

in other words, if Bandai/Yamato/anyone else making macross products wants to play ball in the US, then they either play HG's game or not at all.

and if with that in mind your position is still the same, and you would prefer that we not be able to get Macross toys in the US cheaply and legally then bandai make a deal with HG/Toynami, then I applaud you for taking the moral high ground and sticking with it. But at the same time I have no choice but to say SCREW YOUR MORALITY! I want cheap macross merchandise, and I don't care how many people have to get stepped on for it to happen.

I may be wrong, but concerning the Ghost and Gallia 4 sets, I don't think the original text actually said anything about them being web exclusives, just that they would be priced 4,000yen on the Tamashii Webshop, while usually they would be 5000yen. I think that coupon thing is a misinterpretation.

But certainly it is clear that the Alto Super packs are exclusives. Which is really weird and stupid.

I want cheap macross merchandise

Says people who buy $200 valks without a thought.....Whatever!

Maybe should you said that on Yamato thread so maybe Yamato may start producing CHEAP valks as an idea

I am not from US so this stuff doesn't affect me at all, I am pretty sure those of us not in US doesn't want the deal went through anyway hehe (so they can still buy cheap in their local imports that HG can't get hold off them)

Edited by ntsan

Says people who buy $200 valks without a thought.....Whatever!

Maybe should you said that on Yamato thread so maybe Yamato may start producing CHEAP valks as an idea

I am not from US so this stuff doesn't affect me at all, I am pretty sure those of us not in US doesn't want the deal went through anyway hehe (so they can still buy cheap in their local imports that HG can't get hold off them)

first of all I put a lot of though into what I spend my money on, hence why I've only got a couple of valks.

second I said both bandai and Yamato, and I bring it up here because were talking about the bandai/toynami deal HERE. it's been discused many times in the past whether yamato should make a deal with HG/Toynami. and doing so would more than likely result in Valks being sold in the US at cheaper prices. but sadly both sides have there heads too far up their callective asses to care about what's good for the consumer.

and how the hell is Yamato or bandai partnering with toynami/HG going to effect you anyways? anywhere that HG has any ability to prevent importation they already are. and if they struck a deal wiht Yamato/bandai/BW, it would only make things cheaper since they could import in larger quantities direct from the manufacturer.

why are people here complaining about extra part being exclusive? most of you will not buy this anyway cause of it's fuglyness

you fail to understand the mentality of most Macross fans...

were all going to buy them, though most of us will end up only getting 3 of each instead of 10.

How are making these extra parts "exclusive" a good idea for profit? If one can only get them from a selected source and at a high price, not a lot of people will buy them. Hardcore fans would be willing to but what about your average fan?

I think everyone here(as in MWF)is at least above your average macross fan. Would you agree? So there is a number of us who will try, but not all will get exclusives. Trust me, exclusives sell.

first of all I put a lot of though into what I spend my money on, hence why I've only got a couple of valks.

were all going to buy them, though most of us will end up only getting 3 of each instead of 10.

3? Wow great fandom....I estimated 2 but oh well. I guess 3 for each mode right?.....hahaha

Why exclusive suck:

Lower sales figures. The toys aren't in B&M stores so you don't get that random pick up. Also, the toy never goes on sale because there's no excess supply lying around and everyone ends up having to pay MSRP (or more for the sad folks outside the range of exclusivity)

Why exclusives rock:

Toy companies are guaranteed to make more money per unit sold so they can take a risk and make something in smaller quantities. This could be great for collectors because it means a toy not worth the risk of a large production run can still be made by a company (not really the case here).

I know Japan and the Far East have a different way of doing things but I know here in the states almost no one buys collectibles from B&M stores. So, if you're a toy manufacturer and everyone is buying their toys online, why not give yourself the monopoly and reap all the profit? Sure, sales are smaller, but you have to imagine with more companies making more exclusives they're coming to the conclusion that the greater profit outweighs the lost sales.

second I said both bandai and Yamato, and I bring it up here because were talking about the bandai/toynami deal HERE. it's been discused many times in the past whether yamato should make a deal with HG/Toynami. and doing so would more than likely result in Valks being sold in the US at cheaper prices. but sadly both sides have there heads too far up their callective asses to care about what's good for the consumer.

and how the hell is Yamato or bandai partnering with toynami/HG going to effect you anyways? anywhere that HG has any ability to prevent importation they already are. and if they struck a deal wiht Yamato/bandai/BW, it would only make things cheaper since they could import in larger quantities direct from the manufacturer.

OK, you are making the assumption that the Japanese "think" like Americans, first mistake!

BigWest has no interest in making deals with partner companies of Tatsunoko, and HG and Toynami are exactly that. BW would rather loose money than give a dime indirectly to Tatsunoko or its partners. Yamato and Bandai have many ways of marketing Macross merchandise in North America.a

True it may not be a large a market share as they could have, but this is about the honor of the IP rights holder and both Yamato and Bandai understand that.

Deal with reality. So long as HG blocks Macross productions from US shores we will be paying more. If you want that changed you better start some sort of letter writing campaign to convince HG to relinquish it's erroneous trademark on the name "Macross". Because BigWest isn't interested.

I noticed HLJ has the Mickhail and Luca versions up for pre-order early bird special, didn't see if anyone mentioned this yet or not. They aren't priced much more then the standard Alto version so hopefully the fast packs will be cheap if they are ever sold seperately, but well maybe we're just screwed :\