Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.2

Graham

GA Graphic's reviews of the DX Chogokin VF-25F and VF-25S coloured test shots.

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/011531/

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/011533/

Pretty much near final (as in the basic shape/configuration) says the article. All that's left is some 'brushup' (touchup?) on some minute areas (hopefully that means the landing gears), adjusting the areas that move, and working towards the final product.

Interestingly the article mentions that Kawamori specifically put his emphasis/involvment on the fighter mode for this toy.

And finally, the article suggests that the toy has no sense of floppiness and is very sturdly built.

Edited by Vifam7

GA Graphic's reviews of the DX Chogokin VF-25F and VF-25S coloured test shots.

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/011531/

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/011533/

Good Pics! halfway succesfull engineering. Why couldn't they get the engine nacells to seat properly in jet mode is a mystery to me! It is very possible!! I wish Takara was working on this more than Bandai, becasue they are slipping in final excecution! The landing gear are so much of an afterthought that it makes the toy look cheap. I pray that these are not final fits!!!!

Please tell me Bandai will fix!? :wacko:

Or is it too Late? :unsure:

Good Pics! halfway succesfull engineering. Why couldn't they get the engine nacells to seat properly in jet mode is a mystery to me! It is very possible!! I wish Takara was working on this more than Bandai, becasue they are slipping in final excecution! The landing gear are so much of an afterthought that it makes the toy look cheap. I pray that these are not final fits!!!!

Ask Kawamori. He worked on the thing. :rolleyes:

Looks good to me. The landing gear do indeed look kind of bare and naked - but maybe they will add some mould detail in? The problem is really the color.

But if ugly landing gear is the only "problem" with this VF-25 then...SIGN ME UP!

Pete

(but keep Yamato alive; I love them for giving us:

1/60 VF-1

1/60 SV-51r (BIG ACHIEVEMENT!)

1/60 YF-21

1/60 YF-19

Oh - and PERFECT TRANSFORMATION on VFs - amazing!)

Pretty much near final (as in the basic shape/configuration) says the article. All that's left is some 'brushup' (touchup?) on some minute areas (hopefully that means the landing gears), adjusting the areas that move, and working towards the final product.

Interestingly the article mentions that Kawamori specifically put his emphasis/involvment on the fighter mode for this toy.

And finally, the article suggests that the toy has no sense of floppiness and is very sturdly built.

hopefully that means they'll make the legs sit flush with the body in fighter mode. I can live with the other compromises as long as fighter mode doesn't look broken. And I don't care about the landing gear as I always pose my fighters on a stand of some sort.

I had been quite excited about this and somewhat optimistic. But those urkle ankles (pant legs too high) is just killing me. That is a deal breaker for me (for now). If the future release with super parts covers that up enough then I may get that version. I am a battroid guy and just could not display those ankles. It is embarasing.

Ozma looks good and I would consider for fighter mode with that badd asss decal on the back but batroid for him in addition to the anlkes is a lack of neck which is another deal breaker for me.

The final deal breaker for me now which really seals the deal is that I am totally freakin broke!

Yeah the Urkle ankles and the shortened neck of Ozma's vf-25 looks off...

but the biggest deal breaker for me is that the legs in fighter mode doesn't lock in flush or in the least we've yet to see a pic with the legs up and completely flush with the rest of the body in Fighter mode.

By looking at the GA graphics pics, it's clear that this thing has a lot going for it. Build quality really oozes through and it's one of the areas where I hoped Bandai would pull through in. It's really sad that a couple of easy accuracy issues mar the opportunity bandai had to make something truly special.

I will consider getting this IF and ONLY IF someone or bandai themselves show that the legs fit into the body flush.

Interesting note about the Ozma VF-25 article. It says that Bandai was at first during the early stages of development had also a slightly smaller scale model in work. But they realized that in order to provide sturdiness in the moving parts, they had to go with the bigger size.

Fighter mode: looks sad, yes the fighter looks like it feels sad! But hey, they actually got the tailfin extensions accurate! they look BETTER than the model's tailfin extensions (but it still looks sad, down, with that drooping nose and sagging landing gears)! Battroid: Alto and Ozma are wearing bermudas (Total deal breaker, they should have come up with sth to move the hip leg hinges down, not further extend the ankles to make the legs look longer, it was counterproductive). Ozma's lack of a neck makes him a turtle, a coward. I do give them credit for making the ventral fins hide in the legs, seems from the lineart that they're not supposed to show up in the Battroid mode.

Gerawalk...no coment.

I was still waiting for miracles, but now it seems they are simply "improving it" through marketing, not engineering.

Just like Pete, I have a fear for Yamatos because of the horror stories I collect from others, and I never owned a Bandai DX, but I am not sure why sturdiness in a collector's "toy" is of such paramount relevance, is anyone really kicking and throwing around these 12K Yen and above items?

Edited by regult

After looking at those anticipated new pictures even closer, I realized that the toys they're showing are alreading displaying some paint chipping (Ozma's valk in battroid mode, shoulder area, Alto's in fighter, where the wing gloves hinges are).

I know these are samples, but that does not mean they need to have paint issues while the production versions will definitely not after a pair of transformations and handling...We should probably blame Kawamori for desingning a nice-looking 3D model that is doomed to have rubbing parts and paint flaking in the articulations, be it a toy or a model, even if it's a "sturdy" DX

After looking at those anticipated new pictures even closer, I realized that the toys they're showing are alreading displaying some paint chipping (Ozma's valk in battroid mode, shoulder area, Alto's in fighter, where the wing gloves hinges are).

I know these are samples, but that does not mean they need to have paint issues while the production versions will definitely not after a pair of transformations and handling...We should probably blame Kawamori for desingning a nice-looking 3D model that is doomed to have rubbing parts and paint flaking in the articulations, be it a toy or a model, even if it's a "sturdy" DX

Ummm no. we should blame bandai for putting diecast parts in stupid places.

Edited by GobotFool

Well - since the conversation is going in this direction.... we should blame time and start thinking of amortizing our collections.

Look - 30 years ago, most toys were cheap and crappy. Some people got the quaint idea of making toys more and more realistic or, if they were to be fantasy items, then at least putting some thought and imagination into them. Lo we have much better toys - but at higher prices.

Now - a comparrison. You can buy an old beat up used car and not care if the paint chips, if you spill pepsi in the back seat etc etc because hey - it's the old used rust bucket that you get around in.

Or you can buy a car for a hundred thousand dollars and suddenly care very much what happens to it, who goes into the car, forbid eating in the car,forbid drooling children and dirty clothes and so on and so forth.

And guess what?

Not matter how careful you are - you are apt to scratch the car and sometimes it will break down, need maintenance or have an accident.

Yet people still buy expensive and good looking cars.

The same goes for our toys. We demand these high quality beasts and then are upset when it turns out that in real life, these toys ARE NOT INDESTRUCTIBLE or perfect - no matter how beautiful.

And then we complain "hey I paid 200 USD for this and it's not certified by God!"

Well - 200 USD is not the price of perfection - not even in the toy industry. Nothnig is perfect - and we take a risk and go out on the limb to buy, essentially, these works of art and representations of beautiful stories that, in common culture, have become known as "toys."

So while I think it's healthy to complain and grumble about inaccuracies and all - I am far from saying "screw this!" t something I love.

Women are expensive as all get out too, after all. Flowers cost a heck of a lot of money - my girlfriend always wants multi-colored roses, expensive dinners, dresses, movies - in fairness, she's generous towards me as well - lots of clothes, some toys, and the occasional chinese dinner :) ...

But the point is - of course we sometimes want everything to be 1) perfect and 2) free.

But really - in my view - if you step back for a second - 200 USD for Nora is CHEAP. I mean - it's a miracle that something like that can actually even be produced and assembled and concieved of and made real and for ONLY 200 USD.

of course relative to daily life, it's "expensive" - but relative to what it is; technology has come a long way. Theoretically, something like the SV-51 could have been produced ten years ago - but without CADS someone would have had to sculpt for a year painstakingly and on and on - and the cost would have been like a thousand bucks or more retail... now it's 200 USD - affordable; expensive but within range...

Anyways - point is - sure - like I've said before - maybe I'm totally blind and maybe I'm just not as demanding or exacting as I should be: but when I look at the VF-25 I see a well executed fighter/gerwalk and battroild with mildly stubby landing gear.

Pete

Just like Pete, I have a fear for Yamatos because of the horror stories I collect from others, and I never owned a Bandai DX, but I am not sure why sturdiness in a collector's "toy" is of such paramount relevance, is anyone really kicking and throwing around these 12K Yen and above items?

The feeling I got from Japanese fans on the net is that they want to be able to play with this toy (much like the old Takatoku). I keep seeing the onomatopoeia "gashi gashi". Ie. they want to "gashi gashi" play with the toy (imagine sound of you transforming the old Takatoku). This is different from the way one would handle a Yamato.

Also, in a way, one might say that a collector's toy ought to be able to stay in perfect shape for a long time despite being handled. I mean, this is a toy not a model. It's gotta be able to withstand some abuse without worrying about breakage. And I think part of what makes a toy collectible is it's ability to last in good shape. Which I think is part of the reason why Takatokus are/were so beloved by many.

BTW if I recall correctly the original Takatoku back in the 80's was priced around $50. That was crazy money for a toy back then. At least for a child in a poor family.

Edited by Vifam7

Yeah - 50 Bucks was the price of something like Trypticon and Metroplex - which in those days was a HUGE wad of money.

As to the gashi gashi - that's interesting and understandable. I also play with all of my toys and models - even my Gundams. However- my gashi gashi now isn't holding them and pretending to do battle, but rather posing them for photography and then making photo-comics.

Often times, I build sets outside (winter as well) - however, while I'm not averse to using Transformers in outdoor conditions, I will of course not be taking a Gundam Mastergrade outside; let alone a Yammie - so most of those are photographed in studio conditions and then photoshopped into the comic panel.

The point, however, is that this method of gashi gashi is a lot less bashy bashy and therefore doesn't result in the toy being damanged or risking damage - since all I'm doing is posing it carefully and patiently for photography and not having a royal rumble on the carpet :)

Maybe people just need to find such low-risk methods of play?

Pete

The problem is not minor wear and tear, the problem is spontaneous disintegration as Yamatos tend to do. My Garland's shoulder just evaporated. I did not bash it at all. I was being incredibly gentle and this was my second slow, methodical transformation following the instructions and it just fell apart. THAT is the problem.

and I never owned a Bandai DX, but I am not sure why sturdiness in a collector's "toy" is of such paramount relevance, is anyone really kicking and throwing around these 12K Yen and above items?

It's of paramount relevance because we want to be able to handle something that really shouldn't break. We aren't buying a model kit, a garage kit, a kitbash, or any of that, yes we are buying a collector's toy and we don't treat it the same way a 5 year old would, but it should be able to take more abuse than a model kit and not break. There are a lot of members here who spent the amount of money specified on Yamato's toys and had something break when it shouldn't have, and not all of the breakages were due to carelessness. Why am I so vocal about and critical on the v2 1/60 VF-1S? Because after years, Yamato was so fart1ng close to making a god damn durable valkyrie, but the flawed design of the shoulders got in the way.

Also, in a way, one might say that a collector's toy ought to be able to stay in perfect shape for a long time despite being handled. I mean, this is a toy not a model. It's gotta be able to withstand some abuse without worrying about breakage. And I think part of what makes a toy collectible is it's ability to last in good shape. Which I think is part of the reason why Takatokus are/were so beloved by many.

Hell yea man

The problem is not minor wear and tear, the problem is spontaneous disintegration as Yamatos tend to do. My Garland's shoulder just evaporated. I did not bash it at all. I was being incredibly gentle and this was my second slow, methodical transformation following the instructions and it just fell apart. THAT is the problem.
Indeed it is.
Maybe people just need to find such low-risk methods of play?

No, the companies in question need to find better ways to design parts. The numbers speak man, even if you have minimum breakages, there are many more people with breakages for Yamato toys. Why else do you think everyone was overjoyed when Overdrive decided to offer free replacement parts on broken toys?

Music to my god damn ears. We haven't heard of a Macross toy being like that since when...the 80's?

hmm...still looks like c rap, but if this thing is sturdy and not fragile like the Yamato's I would seriously consider getting myself one, I'm getting sick of things breaking cause of a 'design flaw'

Welcome to the club...sadly yes

Hmm...he always seems to do that. He's always done it with Yamato, so there is a chance Yamato's would have turned out very similar if they did it..only..well..the expected...uhm......breakages.

Still is chunky, mis-proportioned, and has crappy landing gear. Seriously it's a three wheeled shopping cart with that kind of landing gear. It's still slump shouldered, with Urkel-ankles. Gerwalk mode still looks like everything behind the shoulders is sagging. The gunpod still has painted bits instead of colored transparent plastic for the sensors (CHEAP). Legs still sitting too low in fighter with the bigass gap in the back. The knees don't integrate well in fighter mode. Hell nothing is really holding together all that well. Could the canopy be any more purple?

And the VF-25S still has no neck.

This thing looks like it should be priced at half the price they're asking. Bandai could have made it look fantastic while still be durable, but they gave us this instead. It could have been so much better, but hey if people are willing to settle for their C/B-game and worship it as if it were an A-game item, then okay. Other than the test shot being colored, I don't see any improvements. It still looks as craptastic as it did before, except now it's colored craptastic!

I thought the chunkies were crap back when i was a kid and (even though had no way of getting them) i never desired to own one.

I'll do the same, as i know what can be done, with a little more effort. Pfft Bandai wants us to push the DX around on trolley wheels for sakes! WAKE UP!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

The feeling I got from Japanese fans on the net is that they want to be able to play with this toy (much like the old Takatoku).

Many Japanese toy fans in this country want to play with this toy, too. That's why we buy 'toys' and not 'model kits'. Diecast content is something that's highly desired by many Japanese toy fans as well, as it lends heft to a toy. Thus the 'Soul of Chogokin', 'Brave Gohkin', 'Shin Seiki Gokin', and many other diecast robot toys that are sold to collectors. In fact, this DX VF-25 toy is being sold in the 'Chogokin' line.

Looking at the Ozma custom pics from GA Graphic, I'm pretty impressed with how it looks. Add to that the reports of it being sturdy and non-floppy and I'm about 70% sure that I'm getting one of these.

The 30% hesitation comes from three things: 1) Where's the neck?, 2) Where's the landing gear?, and 3) Where's the armored pack?

I'm okay with the proportions. And the Skull Leader color scheme is just too damn sexy!