The Macross Quarter. DX Chogokin

I don't care if toys from my cartoons look cartoony.

:lol: NO! They must look dark and menacing! How can we take a serious battleship from a serious show seriously if it looks all colorful and cartoony like some sort of cartoon?

PS. Can you guys guess what non-Macross props I will have displayed on my Quarter's flight deck?

And you guys prefer the skittles version??

Da hell is wrong with skittles? You one ah them shaved-headed anti-skittite freaks er somethin? Skittles is almost as good as guardian legend; and dats some damn good stuff. Slap some disco on that an you got a hell of a party. But you wouldn't know. You're too busy driving around Illinois an listenin to ride of the Valkyries an thinkin bout how you're gonna weather your toothbrush to make it look more "realistic" an "battleworn" an poo.

Probably the same way they managed to turn this

post-5703-1259681397_thumb.gif

into this

post-5703-1259681407_thumb.jpg

:p

I think they have Captain Bobby in charge of color quality control. At least for the Macross Quarter and movie VF-25 super pack.

I'll have to disagree with you on the armored VF-25. It looks pretty impressive in person. I gave the armored parts a matte coat and I think they look pretty BA in fighter and battroid.

I think the difference between the CG model and the DX is Bandai trying to reproduce the "actual" colors (since no physical filming model exists) over the low lighting model seen in the TV show. They did the same thing with their Enterprise model, based on data provided to them directly from Paramount. I'm pretty sure Bandai got the exact coloring data from Satelight as well.

Actual colors

dr_bandai_Enterprise4.jpg

refit6.jpg

Low lighting

refit3.jpg

refit4.jpg

Whichever one you prefer is a matter of personal preference of course. Just throwing that out there as to possibly why the DX colors differ from the anime.

Or it could just be that Bandai wanted to make the colors stand out more to make it more noticeable as a toy? Because, you know, it is a toy... :lol:

Besides, the coloring of the Quarter is way less problematic than the craptacular design, engineering, and QC that went into the VF-25 DX line. :p

Paramount and Bandai can say whatever they want, those colors are 10x too saturated for the Ent-A. THESE are the actual colors---this is the actual huge model built for the first movie, photographed about the time it was auctioned off. Not "studio lighting" or "ready for filming"---simply photographing it in front of a black background for reference for how it "really" looks. And there's dozens more, if color confirmation of a certain area is needed. :)

Paramount and Bandai can say whatever they want, those colors are 10x too saturated for the Ent-A. THESE are the actual colors---this is the actual huge model built for the first movie, photographed about the time it was auctioned off. Not "studio lighting" or "ready for filming"---simply photographing it in front of a black background for reference for how it "really" looks. And there's dozens more, if color confirmation of a certain area is needed. :)

I've seen many pictures of the actual Enterprise model and I agree that the coloring is too saturated. Don't forget though that the Enterprise was repainted and matted over several times during the course of six movies; the Bandai release is supposed to be from The Motion Picture era, but I haven't really seen any good photos from 1979.

Even as early as The Wrath of Khan the Enterprise looked totally different from its original form, as ILM matted over the old paint job from TMP.

EDIT: I've also seen the Enterprise-D 6 foot filming model in person, and it is most definitely blue-ish and not the warm grey seen on screen.

Edited by Lolicon

Yes, but Bandai seems to have gotten the whole concept backwards---the ships are intentionally "over-saturated" in real life, because so much of it is lost on-screen. If you're going for "actual studio model under normal lighting" the kit is too colorful, and if you're going for "on-screen" then it's WAY too colorful.

I too have never seen any good "original 1979 paint job" pics. I don't think they exist, or they'd have shown up on the numerous "how to paint the Enterprise" threads on the 'net.

(side note, IIRC, the Ent-D suffers from "double" de-saturation----the one that naturally occurs from filming, and the one the studio does because the first time they filmed it they thought it was supposed to be a grey ship, not a blueish one, and so they took out all the blue----but they couldn't go and NOT do it for all the rest of the episodes once they heard back from the original modelers/painters, so they had to keep doing it, thus a grey Ent-D). (kind of like the infamous green skin paint tests, if you know that story)

The Refit (TMP version) is my favorite ship of all time and I am obsessed with having a perfect TMP version of it.

Its quite possibly the most complex and beautiful paint job ever put onto a model, the amount of time and effort that went into the details such as the the aztec paneling are insane.

I have the bandai and yeah its colors are super bright compared to the actual model.

Here is 2 of the best shots of the ship taken, in color, that's currently available, from when the motion picture was in production.

post-4040-1259897854_thumb.jpg

post-4040-1259898158_thumb.jpg

The TMP version of the ship had the secondary hull/strongback areas painted a greyish/seafoam green, then was repainted by ILM (LAME) for star trek 2 with a major loss of detail and with the now familar light blue secondary hull details.

I currently have a large scale refit being built on commission with a "no expense spared" approach in full TMP mode. Full lighting and multi color pearl aztecing!

Here is a taste, notice aztecing paneling on the saucer, you cant see it but the entire ship is covered in multiple colored panels like this. You can only see the paneling at certain angles and lighting, otherwise the ship just looks the standard white :)

_DSC0002-1.jpg

_DSC0050.jpg

OK now back to Macross Quarter talk :)

Edited by Mechinyun

Getting a little OT there... anyway, I wasn't making excuses for Bandai (I think I've been fairly critical of their Frontier DX line), just offering a possible explanation as to how Bandai ended up with the current Quarter color scheme. Personally I wish it resembled the darker colors of the anime too, but at the same time, I'm so glad it isn't as jacked up looking as the VF-25 line. I've got mine preordered!

Maybe Bandai will pull a Wave on us and release an "anime color" version in the summer. <_<

You almost have to assume that there's going to be a repaint in the future. This is an awfully big toy not to have some sort of double-dip planned. If I were really bothered by the bright colors I would definitely hold off and hope that at this point next year I'd have a "movie color" or something like that edition to drool over... and you might even have the benefit of Bandai correcting any mistakes they make on the first editon (as we have seen yamato do time and again).

I think the difference between the CG model and the DX is Bandai trying to reproduce the "actual" colors (since no physical filming model exists) over the low lighting model seen in the TV show. They did the same thing with their Enterprise model, based on data provided to them directly from Paramount. I'm pretty sure Bandai got the exact coloring data from Satelight as well.

Actual colors

dr_bandai_Enterprise4.jpg

refit6.jpg

Low lighting

refit3.jpg

refit4.jpg

Whichever one you prefer is a matter of personal preference of course. Just throwing that out there as to possibly why the DX colors differ from the anime.

Or it could just be that Bandai wanted to make the colors stand out more to make it more noticeable as a toy? Because, you know, it is a toy... :lol:

Besides, the coloring of the Quarter is way less problematic than the craptacular design, engineering, and QC that went into the VF-25 DX line. :p

At least its mostly white, and baby blue and its acceptable but squittles quarter has white, dark gray,light gray, disco green, and baby blue, hardly a military choice in painting a warship BUUUT then again you do have a cross dresser piloting the quarter sooooo maybe a bunch of cross dressing painters ????? Whatever im glad people who accept it will purchase it because it means that Bandai may release it in other colors

And I keep hearing about red frame turd. Could you please expand on the turdiness of the red turd and maaaaaaaybe i may reconsider. Just post in the gunpla forum

Some new photos are up at GA Graphic.

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/014232/

So it looks like they're reverting back to the uncolored stand for this :(

I see it also needs an extra attachment that you have to clip on to holster the flight deck to the back.

Argh, please tell me they aren't using PVC again for the turrets. Some are straight and some are bent inwards.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

You would have thought they had learned that lesson with the Ozama VF-25.... Oh well I'd still buy one if I could afford it right now.

Maybe the cannons are small enough where any wilting wont be very noticable in person.

Details are usually more noticeable in person, not less. <_< I didn't realize I was paying for gashapon quality.

I guess if the turrets are removable I can put them in hot water and straighten them out. I really shouldn't have to though.

Details are usually more noticeable in person, not less. <_<

Not neccessarily true. Sometimes details on very small parts can look much worse when seen in blown-up detail on a computer screen.

Regardless, bent turrets on one sample doesn't guarantee an epidemic. If you're worried you'll probably be better served waiting until a bunch of other people buy one and give their thoughts/comments.