Straight from Kawamori's mouth ...

Tochiro

No, but given the choice between DYRL and Phantasm, which is also a clip episode, albeit extremely psychedelic and replete with Freudian nuance, I'd say that Phantasm is better ;)

On another note, I have just recieved an email with an interesting link pertaining to the future of Macross, with a snippet about the upcoming movie:

www.jpanimenews.jp/334/story/title/upyours/completejoke.jp/440?!.//http

Guess the cat is out of the bag :(

But I still prefer the original Macross anyways:)

Pete

Are you sure they're not mistaking Macek as the Froating Head?

No, but given the choice between DYRL and Phantasm, which is also a clip episode, albeit extremely psychedelic and replete with Freudian nuance, I'd say that Phantasm is better ;)

On another note, I have just recieved an email with an interesting link pertaining to the future of Macross, with a snippet about the upcoming movie:

www.jpanimenews.jp/334/story/title/upyours/completejoke.jp/440?!.//http

Guess the cat is out of the bag :(

But I still prefer the original Macross anyways:)

Pete

well, there you have it. we have been invaded by Skrulls, after all. :lol::p

On the other hand, come on vftf1, you can come out of the closet now too, don't be shy. ;):lol:

As much as I like Phantasm (Kaifun Britai FTW!!!)...it is my considered opinion that your assessment is completely bonkers. I recommend that you listen to all available Minmay, Mylene, and Ranka versions of "Do You Remember Love" until sanity reasserts itself. :p

Fokker shot first!

Who's "Fokker"? ;)

Phantasm....is that the clip with the infamous bicycle scene? :huh:

If its a DYRL re-telling, we might find this on the movie:

- Ranka is already an aspiring singer/idol on Frontier

- Alto and co is hardened SMS pilot and not a high school student anymore

- Alto is acting as bodyguard for Sheryl when she came visiting Frontier

- Michel is macronized and fight along Klan

:huh:

Now you're just being silly. If given a choice between DYRL and Global's Report, you'd actually say that DYRL is only a little bit better...? :blink:

No, but my point is that both are just as creatively bankrupt. You're still remaking something that doesn't need to be remade when you could be spending that money on new projects. A really good example of that is the new Evangelion movies.

As much as I like Phantasm (Kaifun Britai FTW!!!)...it is my considered opinion that your assessment is completely bonkers. I recommend that you listen to all available Minmay, Mylene, and Ranka versions of "Do You Remember Love" until sanity reasserts itself. tongue.gif

Ah - if this was routine therapy suggested by my shrink, I would probably have continued visiting her :)

Pete

Looking at how little time will have passed between the series and the movie, I cant imagine them reanimating the whole thing.

I can only see two real options - a true sequel or a clip movie. And looking at trends in the anime industry at the moment, Id say a clip movie (ala Gundam Seed) is by far the more likely outcome. Unfortunately.

There is a bright side to this.

If it's a clip movie, then there's not going to be any "do you prefer the series or the movie" debates like with SDF M and DYRL.

Pete

Are you kidding me? Macross Plus OVA versus Movie Edition has been a major debate, and still is. Trust me, MW will never be short of things to argue about :)

Look at EVERY series that Kawamori was involved in that got a theatrical release. See a pattern? All were either clip-fests (Aquarion, Macross Plus), or remakes (Esca, Macross: DYRL). Granted, Im not counting Mac. 7 in this, but still, I think you can see a pattern there

Heh ? Aquarion was a full-blown remake just like Escaflowne and DYRL, not a clip-show. And I do think considering Macross Plus a mere "clip-fest" à la Tomino is rather unfair considering it's based on the original script before the story was stretched to a 4 Episode OAV series. I'd say it's more like a "Director's Cut" of Macross Plus... which is why there can be actualy debate between the OAVs and the Movie (but then cutting 4 OAVs into a movie isn't quite like the same thing as editing a 25 episodes series into one)

Anyway it would be dissapoiting if the Frontier movie was just a recut version of the series - I do hope for a full blown remake, eck if they did it for Aquarion, they sure can do it for Frontier ! I guess it depends when said movie will be released...

Anyway I'd say it's pointless to hope for a Frontier continuation (not that I feel it *needs* one personally). We should all know by now that this is not the way Kawamori do things. 25 years later we still don't know what the eck happens with the the Megaroad 01, 14 years later we still have no resolution of Macross 7's love triangle, 4 years later we don't know what the eck happend to Shin & Sara... I mean really hoping for a continuation of Macross Frontier at this point is just hurting oneself.

And if/when we get a new Macross series, it'll most likely be something brand new.

-Sergorn

Looking at how little time will have passed between the series and the movie, I cant imagine them reanimating the whole thing.

Two flaws in your argument: DYRL and Escaflowne. Both came out quite soon after the original shows finished.

I dunno...fully reanimated Frontier doesn't excite me all that much more than the idea of a clip movie, though. And I don't think the story really needs to be continued...

I guess I'd prefer a side story or something. I'm not sure where they could fit one in, though, since there were no obvious gaps in the series.

I think the only way I'd really like a reanimated version is if they went all-out DYRL-style and told the story in a COMPLETELY different way. If it were done well (i.e. better than Escaflowne), it could be a lot of fun.

I think the only way I'd really like a reanimated version is if they went all-out DYRL-style and told the story in a COMPLETELY different way. If it were done well (i.e. better than Escaflowne), it could be a lot of fun.

Maybe Aquarion and its OVAs could be a good comparison. To give you an example, in the OVAs die different characters than the series (unlike DYRL).

FV

Edited by Final Vegeta

I dunno...fully reanimated Frontier doesn't excite me all that much more than the idea of a clip movie, though. And I don't think the story really needs to be continued...

Really?

What happened to the Galaxy fleet? Where is Mao Nome and Grace's cohorts? Are the Vajra still in danger of expoitation?, etc... There are still quite a few open ended questions that "Your Song" never touched on...

I guess I'd prefer a side story or something. I'm not sure where they could fit one in, though, since there were no obvious gaps in the series.

I agree that a side story ala Dynamite would be preferable to a clip show, regardless of how mind numbingly cool the CG anime would be... ;)

Really?

What happened to the Galaxy fleet? Where is Mao Nome and Grace's cohorts? Are the Vajra still in danger of expoitation?, etc... There are still quite a few open ended questions that "Your Song" never touched on...

Oh, there are definitely a lot of things left unresolved. I'm not sure you could make a whole movie out of wrapping up loose ends though. Then again, that's basically what The End of Evangelion (which I love) was, so I could be wrong.