1/72 Imai Spartan Build

yaiba

I've started building an Imai 1/72 Spartan that I got from 007-vf1. I have uploaded sprue scans in the folders section.

gallery_9475_269_727195.jpg

The hands go together easily, but are a little misaligned, so some filing and filling is necessary to get everything flush.

gallery_9475_269_4502.jpg

The locator pins for parts 49-50 and 51-52 need to be cut off for the circled feature to be aligned correctly. Unfortunately the missile pod doors are molded shut.

gallery_9475_269_79711.jpg

If the pins are cut off this area will be a little off, and the inserts will not sit properly in their positions. The crossbars at the rear of the shoulders were glued only after dry-fitting the inserts. They will have to be clamped to hold the proper alignment until they dry. Some filing and filling will still be necessary.

I may have to perform the dark arts on these parts so I can have something to work on to make open missile pods...

I'll continue to post build progress here if there is any interest, but you can also visit my blog for progress.

Yeah! Keep it up. I'll be watching this thread with interest. I've got one of these that I built as a kid that really needs to be refurbished to look better.

The TZ-IV gun cluster is rather inaccurate on this model. It only has the grenade launcher, flamer, and 32mm machinegun mounted, and is missing the laser and 12.7mm machinegun. The front locator pin needs to be removed for parts 16-17 or there will be an unsightly lump in the barrel of the grenade launcher.

gallery_9475_269_6707.jpg

I used Evergreen plastic strip to create rifling in the barrel

gallery_9475_269_396427.jpg

The hatch covers were removed. The red circled area will have to be removed to add an interior to the missile launcher.

gallery_9475_269_528076.jpg

The launcher will be modeled after the Mk 11 Hedgehog. I temporarily fitted a missile spigot to get the correct angle for the missile. Only 11 more to go on this side.

great job! That exaclty what I did back 18 years ago when I made mine! I ended up using the "Battleship" the Game, white pegs for my Missiles. 8) I am Really wanting to see what you come up with!

Good luck!

I am also working on doing the same thing for 1/100. Jessey Mayers sold me a kit back 3 years ago that gave upgrades for the 1/100 kit. Here is a picture of some of the pieces. The kit also came with the "Bat" for the 1/100.

post-1578-1225001961_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1225002143_thumb.jpg