Wave 1/72 Tomahawk?

electric indigo

It says at the bottom:

With regards to the Tomahawk, a certain person said "We don't like it at all, so we went back to 1 and remade it. Don't believe the image on the posterboard."

I think this is still the same thing as on the announcement poster, so, according to Vifam's translation, the design will be changed.

Based on the HOBBY JAPAN scanned pics, the plastic prototype, at least in its current stage, has one big fat fatal flaw:

The chest missile bay covers do not pivot up and backward nearly far enough with their hinge design; the missiles in the top 2 rows will blast right through and destroy the covers when they are fired! Stoopid Wave engineers! :lol:

Based on the HOBBY JAPAN scanned pics, the plastic prototype, at least in its current stage, has one big fat fatal flaw:

The chest missile bay covers do not pivot up and backward nearly far enough with their hinge design; the missiles in the top 2 rows will blast right through and destroy the covers when they are fired! Stoopid Wave engineers! :lol:

<shrug> I figured the missiles fired from the bottom and fed down from the top...

<shrug> I figured the missiles fired from the bottom and fed down from the top...

No they kind of all go off at once. In a scatter Kind of style. They really dont lock in on a target, they are of what I would call a Scatter missile. They just destroy anything in a given area.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

All things considered it not bad. My biggest gripe was the torso, but if you deleted the inverted dome on the bottom of the torso so it sat flat it wouldn't be too bad. Like Johnsaid the rocket bay covers don't hingee all the way up properly but for me thats not a deal breaker.

I say good on Wave for having a go, and even as is a little TLC would bring this up nicely - and for a fraction of the cost of John's kit.

• 1 month later...

I just noticed that myself.

Something about the lines in the head/torso part just seem....off overall. It looks like a tomahawk but doesnt feel right. Maybe im just too used to seeing the line art and Johns model. Looks as though some details have been added/changed too. There is just something weird about it.

Not only that but the final price might be right enough to buy a couple and customize it. Usually some of the "uglyness" can be masked with a good paint scheme.

I'll wait to see the final product to judge...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
So 09 Autumn is now 10 Autumn. Let's see if it will actually be released this time.

Ouch! Tommy looks waaaaaay too wide at the hips; kinda kills the overall look of the mech and makes it look rather like some sort of robotic mongoloid. For crying out loud, there are front, back and side diagrams (with only minor discrepancies) that were made 25+ years ago and are readily available over the net; sorry, but this just isn't acceptable. Sculpt=Fail.

No wonder they seem to have trouble marketing this sku...

So 09 Autumn is now 10 Autumn. Let's see if it will actually be released this time.

Hey Captain, looking into the pic I'm glad that I'd acquired the Tomahawk you sculpted. I'd already pre-ordered the coming release from DAX. I believe i can skip the release from WAVE. From the left hand side of the pic it looks like it's a small part of the arm launcher of the Destroid Monster. From it's scale it's the 1/100 one.

Edited by ahiachris

I agree it looks too wide at the hips.

Is it just me or does it look like that added a gak panel on the inside of the leg to hide the long ball joint so that it could achieve the "super agressive robot kung-fu stance" Get rid of those and it might be okay.

Edited by Berttt

i kinda like the stocky proportions. seems more appropriate for the grunt-type work it does.

i find the arm cannons a tad exagerrated though

The arm cannons are actually about right in size and shape, what they did was make the forearm too short, and the lower body too large. I offer, for everyone's consideration, scans of the original line-art views for comparison. These are the drawings that I worked from.

The fact that the japanese licensors offer more leeway to deviate from source-material is nice, since it allows for much more creative freedom, making each interpretation unique, unlike, say, Disney, who are horrible micro-managers. The flip-side to deviating from source material is that, despite good intentions, you always run the risk of it not being well-received.

post-632-1255100119_thumb.jpg

post-632-1255100133_thumb.jpg

Edited by captain america

The arm cannons are actually about right in size and shape, what they did was make the forearm too short, and the lower body too large. I offer, for everyone's consideration, scans of the original line-art views for comparison. These are the drawings that I worked from.

The fact that the japanese licensors offer more leeway to deviate from source-material is nice, since it allows for much more creative freedom, making each interpretation unique, unlike, say, Disney, who are horrible micro-managers. The flip-side to deviating from source material is that, despite good intentions, you always run the risk of it not being well-received.

Great the Wave Tommy has a Getto Boodie and T-Rex Arms :angry:

I just went to the Wave website and died - the Minerva is so gorgeous. Too bad it's a toy & probably extremely expensive.

If it's any consolation, Takara made a plastic kit in the same scale. Can be had on Ebay etc. Unfortunately...it's extremely expensive.

So - these latest pics, are they the resculpted version or is that still pending?

Edited by Kremmen

I have that one - so I know that 1/500 is not like you get that much for your money <_<

It's not huge, but it's way bigger than the tiny one from the other Crusher Joe line. Eight and a bit inches or so?

Which I agree, isn't worth $90-$150 by any means. :(