Kanno + Kawamori = Synergy

BlueMax

Don't mind me, but these are pretty random thoughts came into my mind and I need to get them off my chest:

I do know that both were already well known in their own fields. However, However, it just appears to me that that when these 2 collaborate, the synergy that results is truly amazing, which each other leveraging on the skills/ strengths of each other, pretty much unparalleled from what I have seen so far. The reason: Macross.

I know that they have collaborated on some other projects previously, however, the result for the projects, while I’m sure is successful, never had the results that was achieved while collaborating on Macross, as seen on Macross Plus and of course the very recent Macross Frontier.

Although not absolute proof, I think from what I have read on these boards about the wildly popular concerts, the episode ratings for the last few episodes, and of course the fact that an OST from an anime actually topping the sales chart (totally unheard of). Just maybe a couple of years ago, Macross, though popular, seemed destined to be headed the way of the dodo with few new generation fans, but now?

I believe that Macross is a perfect platform for their collaboration, for a few reasons.

First, Macross is unique from other anime for 2 main reasons: Valkyries and Song.

Other anime of the same genre of course have their own share of mecha (some variable, some not). Maybe with the exception of MOSPEADA, there isn’t really anything that can come close to a Kawamori designed valk. What guess what made Kawamori famous? Valks of course.Although valks played a huge factor in the popularity of Macross, but they (and the supporting mecha of course) alone aren’t the only factor, no matter how cool they are.

Case in point: Macross Zero. While I love the SV-51s and VF-0s (not forgetting the Destroid Cheyenne), I have always felt that it had lacked something, and I soon realized that the something it lacked was a solid soundtrack. While I’m sure that there are people who do appreciate the soundtracks for Macross Zero, but you really have to ask yourself: Besides maybe Arkan, is there really title that you can still remember now? I have often wondered if Yoko Kanno had been the composer for Zero, would things ended up different?

Maybe. But with their latest collaboration, it is clear that kanno’s music is perfect for Macross/ Shoji and Macross is perfect for Kanno.

Most of the time when one is the composer for anime, your name gets relegated to the sidelines. Do you know who is the composer for the Gundam series? While slightly better , almost the same thing goes for composers for popular singers. Most of the time, the singer gets the fame, while the composer gets fame mostly just within the music/ composer’s circle, and in both cases, almost never into the mainstream listeners.

With Macross (esp Plus and Frontier), things were different. Music is not simply openings, endings and background music (BGM). It takes centerstage. Besides Valkyries and love triangles, the focus is also on the power of song. Yoko in Macross don’t just do BGMs and theme songs. The songs she wrote can and has reached the mainstream, thanks to avatars like Sharon Apple/ Myung Fan Lung/ Sheryl Nome/ Ranka Lee. Where else do you have the composer that is more famous/ popular than the actual real life singers? Where else also do you have sold music concerts tours for an anime?. Where else do you have anime song singers becoming new pop sensations? Only in Macross. Especially when it is a Kawamori/ Yoko Kanno collaboration.

Yoko Kanno has the songs, but she needed the platform to showcase them. Shoji Kawamori has the stage that is Macross, and Macross needs powerful music to fulfil its focus on songs. Unique and popular concept of Mecha amalgamated with Music. Music, on the other hand, gave heart and soul to the resulting numerous memorable scenes that were seen in Macross.

Therefore, I believe that the popularity of Macross right now has both of them to thank and I sincerely look forward to their continued collaboration on (prayerfully) more Macross(s) to come.

While I agree with what you write about Macross: Frontier, I disagree about Zero and Plus- so I might thereby disagree with your general thesis of Kawamori + Kanno = this great amazing wow factor.

I personally found the music in Macross: Plus to be extremely weak; dull, boring, hypnotizing... but this is not a criticism of the plot - since in fact, Sharon's music was exactly what it was supposed to be: erotically devious - enslaving, mesmerizing in a sinister way. So, while this is a testamony to the music score being written to fit the plot, it just means the plot called for music to be used as a means by which to enslave rather than liberate.

Granted, Myung's song in the end wins out; and this is therefore a testimony also to the power of music from the heart, as opposed to music from a machine that monitors emotions and brain waves and the like...

But overall, I just didn't find Macross Plus to make much of an impact on me. I enjoyed it as a bit of pulp noir actually - but it wasn't this spectacular epic romance that Macross was meant to be...

The characters were burned out, cynical, as was the way the concepts were handled. Innocence and love won out in the end - but it was a demure and subdued victory; and it came at great cost (quality wise, if not quantity wise).

Macross Zero, on the other hand, I just thought was brilliant. The power of the love between Shin and Sarah was just so very moving - and the music track was perfect for their love story.

So... like I said - I agree with what you wrote regarding Macross: Frontier - it really does gell together perfectly and is an amazing achievement for both artists... but I don't know if you can generalize as you did on the basis of Plus and Zero that Plus was WOW and Zero was BLEH which means Kanno + Kawamori always do something WOW.

Pete

Macross Zero, on the other hand, I just thought was brilliant. The power of the love between Shin and Sarah was just so very moving - and the music track was perfect for their love story.

So... like I said - I agree with what you wrote regarding Macross: Frontier - it really does gell together perfectly and is an amazing achievement for both artists... but I don't know if you can generalize as you did on the basis of Plus and Zero that Plus was WOW and Zero was BLEH which means Kanno + Kawamori always do something WOW.

Wow, where can I get that version of Macross Zero? Because the one I saw had two virtual strangers argue for a couple of episodes and then they went to space.

A well-choreographed action set piece and a stirring music track can feed off each other to exceptional effect. By its nature, Macross supports this kind of synergy. Music is invariably central to the plot, as is breakneck variable fighter action. If you get a good director and a good performer, the result is awesome. Setting action aside, music is a key factor in setting mood and emotion to any motion picture, so Macross lends itself to some really great atmosphere just by the fact that music is so central to it every time.

Now, whether or not this has anything to do with Kawamori or Kanno depends on your taste and where the credit belongs. It's only Kawamori's credit if he choreographed the action. If you don't like Yoko Kanno's music, then you're clearly insane... sorry. :D I meant to say if you don't like Yoko Kanno's music, then it's combination with the action in Macross ain't gonna thrill you.

My reactions were pretty much the opposite to VFTF1. In case it wasn't obvious, I adore Yoko Kanno's music, from Macross Plus to Escaflowne to Cowboy Bebop to Macross Frontier and all points in betweem. So, for me, Macross Plus was an absolute joy from the hauntingly a capella "Voices" at the opening to the orchestral swells of the final battle. Macross Zero's music had some great high points... I loved the action themes that played during the first VF-0 / SV-51 dogfight, and Arkan is a great tune too. Overall, though, it struck me as mediocre, and didn't grab me like the music for Plus or Frontier.

That's all just a matter of taste, of course, and neither of us are right or wrong. Reading the music from Plus described as "dull, boring, hypnotizing" is almost incomprehensible to me. :D I'd argue against the statement that Macross was "meant to be" a "spectacular epic romance", too (and more so that Shin and Sara's relationship qualifies as spectacular, epic, or romantic). But, I digress...

I think Macross is a great vehicle for showcasing music and action, but whether Kawamori + Kanno = WOW is purely a matter of taste.

Just to make things interesting, I shall state that the most memorable soundtrack of any Macross ever was that of Macross 7!

I mean, I've been able to fill threads simply by entering the first verse of Planet Dance.

Saza hajimaroze SATURDAY NIGHT

Chosi ha dodai

LET'S STAND UP

BEAT wo kanjirukai

Case in point: Macross Zero. While I love the SV-51s and VF-0s (not forgetting the Destroid Cheyenne), I have always felt that it had lacked something, and I soon realized that the something it lacked was a solid soundtrack. While I’m sure that there are people who do appreciate the soundtracks for Macross Zero, but you really have to ask yourself: Besides maybe Arkan, is there really title that you can still remember now? I have often wondered if Yoko Kanno had been the composer for Zero, would things ended up different?

I disagree with these comments. Its true that there were parts of the soundtrack that did not truly mesh together well, but I still enjoyed a lot of the tracks. I think that they have to be given points for trying to have a soundrack that was different to previous Macross ones.

I don't think that having Kanno working on the soundtrack would have been enough to stop people from bashing Macross Zero either. I think that what a lot of people really didn't like about the series was the VERY dark overall tone and the lack of a "happily ever after" ending. I had no problem with Macross Zero and I think that it was an effort at a more mature than normal Macross story, much in keeping with what I imagine were the dark days of the Anti-UN military conflict.

I think it lacked a lot of the glorification of war that other Macross series have made the mistake of slipping into at times. (example, when Nora shows the scars inflicted on her by UN people, demonstrating that there are no true good-guys or bad-guys in war). War is the nastiest business.

Taksraven

Wow, where can I get that version of Macross Zero? Because the one I saw had two virtual strangers argue for a couple of episodes and then they went to space.

You missed the point then. Watch it again.

Taksraven

You missed the point then. Watch it again.

Taksraven

Yeah, what Taksraven said... I mean; this is one thing I don't understand about the criticism of Macross Zero. I can understand people not liking Basarra, for instance, and not liking rainbow valks etc and therefore saying Macross 7 is bad. I don't agree that it's bad, but I understand the criticism.

With Macross Zero; every time I hear a criticism, I'm just like "huh?" - it seems like we are talking about a different film.

I mean - Sarah and Shin were complete strangers; yes - and they did argue - yes - but Shin showed interest in Sarah early on - with the Yaree Wee: first he was cynical and mocked her for doing it to make extra money since being a shrine maiden didn't pay, but then he joined her in making one: this was a symbol of the hesistance towards natural religion that modernity and technological society birth: always arming moderns with cynicicism, skepticism - a tendency to look for economic motives as the explanation of social action, rather than understanding that the human heart has a yearning desire for love and friendship that transcends monetary interest.

Slowly, Shin came to respect Sarah for her beliefs and also find them to be part of what made her a beautiful woman. He felt her pain at being betrayed by his "let the people decide" democratic solution to the question of blood samples, when Shin realized that people who blindly follow the law will equally blindly follow marketing ads and catchy gimmicks; and that in a way by giving them the choice, he trapped them in a spiritual realm that was symbolically the beginning of a tragic journey - perhaps not unlike the journey undertaken by the Protoculture in its' first steps. And above all - Shin felt - saw - that Sarah as a woman felt betrayed by him, meaning that somewhere in there, she had looked to him to help her; that she was vulnerable - that she needed help...

Like a certain Bridge Officer, who despite being tough, the "demon lady," in charge and guardian of the "temple" (Fortress), was still just a vulnerable woman who needed love. Thus, as Shin says when he sings to the forrest: "I sing for you Sarah, because no one else does." This is essentially a beautiful moment and a very moving, romantic moment - a moment that was built up to through a very well put together and compelling plot...

How it's possible to miss this - I don't know?

I understand if someone wants to say "bleh; too much mushy mushy!" - but to say that it's so disjointed as to just be strangers having an argument and nothing more... where is that from?

Macross Plus was an absolute joy from the hauntingly a capella "Voices" at the opening to the orchestral swells of the final battle.

I would agree with this statement: and this is why I was careful not to criticize the music in Plus as such - it's not that I think the music is bad: the music fits and builds the mood perfectly - it's just that the mood is one which I don't very much like.

Ape-crazy pilots like Dyson who obsessively love flying and nothing else are boring to me compared to more colorful Valk pilots like Bassara and Alto - and even Hikaru who at least liked Minmey and Misa, not only flying. And again - Sharon's music was in my view meant to be somewhat "boring" in the sense that it "put you to sleep" and "hyptnotized you" - the dominant reaction of her concert goers.

I also developed a stupor face and hazy look in the eyes when listening to it.

So - Kanno was successful: it's just I'm not overly excited about the success. Music in Macross was always a force for love and good: in Plus; it was used - much like Grace tried to use Ranka in Frontier - for evil... this makes Plus one of the darkest Macross films; and in that sense I appreciate it - but it's just not fully my cup of tea.

Pete

I would agree with this statement: and this is why I was careful not to criticize the music in Plus as such - it's not that I think the music is bad: the music fits and builds the mood perfectly - it's just that the mood is one which I don't very much like.

Ape-crazy pilots like Dyson who obsessively love flying and nothing else are boring to me compared to more colorful Valk pilots like Bassara and Alto - and even Hikaru who at least liked Minmey and Misa, not only flying. And again - Sharon's music was in my view meant to be somewhat "boring" in the sense that it "put you to sleep" and "hyptnotized you" - the dominant reaction of her concert goers.

I also developed a stupor face and hazy look in the eyes when listening to it.

So - Kanno was successful: it's just I'm not overly excited about the success. Music in Macross was always a force for love and good: in Plus; it was used - much like Grace tried to use Ranka in Frontier - for evil... this makes Plus one of the darkest Macross films; and in that sense I appreciate it - but it's just not fully my cup of tea.

Pete

I've been wondering for a few months now...ever since you said on another thread WAAAY back that you disliked Plus's music because you didn't like techno...do you also not like the orchestral music in it? Because (to me at least) the score is as Macross-y as you can get.

And on a somewhat related note (and this is NOT directed at VFTF1), I like the music in Zero A LOT, but the orchestral pieces grab me more than the songs do. "Life Song" and "Crack Radio," I could do without, but "VF-Zero" is incredible, as are "Macross Track," "Counter Clockwise," "Prayer," "Mori no uta," and a few others. As for the other songs, of course "Arkan" is superb, and "Yan Yan" is cute and fluffy. ^_^

Gotta agree, music in Zero was pretty dull and weak IMO. Can't remember any of it enough to hum any of the tunes, this despite owning the OST CD and listening to it quite a lot.

On the other hand, I find Kanno's work on Mac Plus and Frontier fantastic and extremely memorable.

And yes, music in 7 was also amazing.

Graham

Gotta agree, music in Zero was pretty dull and weak IMO. Can't remember any of it enough to hum any of the tunes, this despite owning the OST CD and listening to it quite a lot.

On the other hand, I find Kanno's work on Mac Plus and Frontier fantastic and extremely memorable.

Graham

Agreed. gubaba said it was really good, but the bottom line is that i can't remember much, or all, of it. MacPlus and Frontier, on the other hand, i remember fondly.

Now... whether that's because the plus and zero had the Kanno Yoko brand name on it, or it's just that the Plus and Frontier music is objectively way way better, i'll never know for sure. but i'd like to think it's the latter. :)

The only issue I had with Zero's music was that there weren't any pieces you could really sing along to like a crazed karaoke nut. Other than that, I find that it fit the show quite well.

Also, I agree with VFTF1/Pete/Vajra Inner Beauty Man dude, in his analysis of Sara. If anything, I find the comparison to Misa quite appropriate.

I've been wondering for a few months now...ever since you said on another thread WAAAY back that you disliked Plus's music because you didn't like techno...do you also not like the orchestral music in it? Because (to me at least) the score is as Macross-y as you can get.

The orchestral music is very well rendered - again; I deny that the music is, from a technical point of view, very well done. There is just something about Plus that doesn't sit well with me; and the music only re-enforces this feeling. Perhaps if there were a Macross Plus thread, I could get more of this angst out of myself and also see what others would have to say about particular scenes and characters that might get me to think more about it.

This is my criticism as well - although I laugh at myself for it - because really, the real reason I can't remember any of the tunes is because Sarah sings in French and refuses to use ANY english words, let alone catchy ooey-gooey phrases like Tostugeki Love heart or the like. Plus, the high pitched voice is really, really hard to "sing along to" for someone (like me) who is a complete musical ameteur.

But this just goes to prove even more than the music in Zero is intimately connected with the plot; particularly with the love story - and that indeed it's hard to have one in mind without having the other in front of us.

Also, I agree with VFTF1/Pete/Vajra Inner Beauty Man dude, in his analysis of Sara. If anything, I find the comparison to Misa quite appropriate.

One day I'm going to have to find a way to compare Ranka to Misa... since really my "Macross Women Love-ometer" is a bit off key Misa-Sara-RANK (?!) ... But I think I tried at one point and was universally accused of failing :)

Pete

One day I'm going to have to find a way to compare Ranka to Misa... since really my "Macross Women Love-ometer" is a bit off key Misa-Sara-RANK (?!) ... But I think I tried at one point and was universally accused of failing :)

Pete

Wouldn't it be easier just to admit that you've got varied tastes in Macross women (or that it changes depending on the series)?

Also, is it just me, or is there a trend that the stand alone OVAs tend to suffer in terms of songs you can sing along with?

Edited by d3v

Also, is it just me, or is there a trend that the stand alone OVAs tend to suffer in terms of songs you can sing along with?

Good observation. Although, if you consider it, there's nothing strange in this. A 25, 36 or 47 episode series has a lot of room for many different songs. So even if you can't stand some (like Planet Dance, which I hate), there will likely be others which will suddenly make you go wow! (like Ranka's rendition of What Bout My Star in episode 5 which made me fall in love with her).

An OVA basically has one main song; or at best a couple of songs - and therefore it's really hit or miss.

Although the Whale Song that Bassara sings was hit IMO...

Pete

Good observation. Although, if you consider it, there's nothing strange in this. A 25, 36 or 47 episode series has a lot of room for many different songs. So even if you can't stand some (like Planet Dance, which I hate), there will likely be others which will suddenly make you go wow! (like Ranka's rendition of What Bout My Star in episode 5 which made me fall in love with her).

An OVA basically has one main song; or at best a couple of songs - and therefore it's really hit or miss.

Pete

It's not just the length of the series. It seems that they reserve all the WTF, karaoke worthy, music saves the day dogfights for the TV series.

As for Dynamite, I'm counting it as part of 7 for the sake of this argument (hence I called Plus and Zero, stand alone OVAs).

Well Kawamori + Kanno = Gold.

You have just have to look at every anime they've workend on together : Macross Plus, Escaflowne, Arjuna, Aquarion, Macross Frontier... the music in each case is nothing short of memorable and breathtaking. Kanno has her ups and down... but her best work IMO has been produced when working with Kawamori.

As for Macross Zero... I thought the music was awesome... within the anime. It's one of those case IMO where the music perfecly feels in adequation with every single frame of animation... but ends up pretty much "meh" when you try to listen to it separatly - which I guess is where it's different from Kanno's where's it's awesome eitehr way :lol:

-Sergorn

I still get the VF-Zero theme, Counter-Clockwise, and Horobi no Uta stuck in my head on a regular basis. Zero lacks any sort of catchy pop music that you want to sing along with, the orchestral BGM is great. On the other hand, it doesn't strike me that there was really any place in the story for catchy pop numbers.

I love Firebomber's music, but one thing that always disappointed me with M7 was the lack of orchestral BGM.

Konno tends to hit that golden balance of catchy pop music, and great orchestral BGM.

Pete

Definitely! It was also written by Yoko Kanno, so there: Even if you don't apprciate her work on Plus, you like it in Frontier and Dynamite 7...and two out of three ain't bad.

I still get the VF-Zero theme, Counter-Clockwise, and Horobi no Uta stuck in my head on a regular basis. Zero lacks any sort of catchy pop music that you want to sing along with, the orchestral BGM is great. On the other hand, it doesn't strike me that there was really any place in the story for catchy pop numbers.

I love Firebomber's music, but one thing that always disappointed me with M7 was the lack of orchestral BGM.

Konno tends to hit that golden balance of catchy pop music, and great orchestral BGM.

I agree with you on Zero..."Yanyan" is about as catchy as it gets and even that isn't *quite* a j-pop song. I like a lot of the Macross Zero battle music, and I really like a lot of the island-style music, which fits perfectly.

And, um...Macross 7 DID have orchestral BGM...if you got annoyed because it's all taken from MacII and MacPlus, then you only have yourself to blame for being just too darn perceptive. ^_^

I liked the BGM of Macross Zero aswell, partly cause its so similar in many respects to one of my favourite movies The thin Red line. Which also has a very distinct yet introvert soundtrack.

As for the connection Kawamori and Kanno. Plus and Frontier proved they work well together. I do love their work on both of these series. However I would not credit them solely for the music in Macross. Ishiguro was the chief director on SFDM and he has a background in music. His input on SDFM may have been responsible for the major role of music in Macross.

You have just have to look at every anime they've workend on together : Macross Plus, Escaflowne, Arjuna, Aquarion, Macross Frontier... the music in each case is nothing short of memorable and breathtaking. Kanno has her ups and down... but her best work IMO has been produced when working with Kawamori.

-Sergorn

For me, Kawamori + Kanno (Macross +, Macross F, Arjuna, Escaflowne) is only second to Watanabe + Kanno (Macross+, Bebop, Baby Blue), but only a few notches. Two really great directors who know their music, I'm always excited to hear when these people are working together! *giddy*

For me, Kawamori + Kanno (Macross +, Macross F, Arjuna, Escaflowne) is only second to Watanabe + Kanno (Macross+, Bebop, Baby Blue), but only a few notches. Two really great directors who know their music, I'm always excited to hear when these people are working together! *giddy*

Can I hope this combination for future Macross series: Kawamori + Kanno + Maaya. :mellow:

Speaking of Watanabe, part of me was hoping they'd sneak him in as a guest director for at least one episode of Frontier.

There definitely is a huge synergy between these 2. They seem to merge both their skills is such a way that the outcome is always (way) over the average.

For me, Kanno is THE s#1t in terms of anime music composers. Her works are always outstanding, and I'm particularly fond of her work on the Ghost in the Shell:Stand-Alone series, then MF came even to her GitS work. As a side note, I like a lot how Kanno seems to keep her "music team" pretty close, with most of the lyricists and vocalists working for most of her projects: Gabriela Robin, Steve Conte, Scott Matthew and Maaya Sakamoto, which gives her work a sort of consistency. I love her songs sang by Ilaria Graziano.

Actually I should add that Kawamori and Kanno odes not automatically = WOW, but rather, the potential is immense, if both are... on form, then PLUS and Frontier is what we get.

whether that's because the plus and zero had the Kanno Yoko brand name on it, or it's just that the Plus and Frontier music is objectively way way better, i'll never know for sure. but i'd like to think it's the latter

When I was 1st watching Macross Plus, I had totally no idea who wsa Yoko kanno, but the music definitely left quite an impression on me and it was from there that I bothered to find out who was behind the music, so yes, I agree its the latter too! :D

Penguin: I think Macross is a great vehicle for showcasing music and action, but whether Kawamori + Kanno = WOW is purely a matter of taste.

Gotta agree with that: It IS a matter of taste However, I believe both their flavors goes down very well with the masses/ majority (though definitely not run of the mill), rather than acquired taste. ;)

This is my criticism as well - although I laugh at myself for it - because really, the real reason I can't remember any of the tunes is because Sarah sings in French and refuses to use ANY english words, let alone catchy ooey-gooey phrases like Tostugeki Love heart or the like

Hm... but then again, most of us can't understand the japanese language as well! lol~! :lol::ph34r: But like I've said, there are definitely people who do appreciate Zero's music.

Agree that an OVA generally has less room to showcase sound tracks, but amazingly that has not stopped Kanno in Macross Plus. That says quite abit abt

Agree with that as well, Fukuyama definite definitely did a great job. Memorable series, but not my favorite Macross series by quite a long shot.

Actually the both of of them working together also increases each of their fanbase: I'm sure quite a few new macross fans are actually Kanno's fan who subsequently got exposed to Macross. Likewise, quite a few macross fans will also become fans of kanno's music, just like what happened to me after watching Macross PLUS.