Custom YF-21 Finally Completed (The Blackjack)

Mog

You've probably seen pics of this custom (in various states and modes) in the "Strike a Pose" and the "Hey! What are you working on?" threads. But now that she's finally stickered up and done, I figured I'd start up a thread to show off the finished product:

gallery_3595_72_144705.jpg

gallery_3595_72_124202.jpg

GERWALK!! :D

gallery_3595_72_100048.jpg

gallery_3595_72_256443.jpg

gallery_3595_72_147598.jpg

gallery_3595_72_6461.jpg

A ton of extra pics and poses (including some WIP pics) can be found here (Linky).

DETAILS/CREDITS:

Plane Nickname: The Blackjack

Squad Name: Sliver-Red Aces (same squad as my earlier Stealth VF-1 custom)

Spray Paint Used: Krylon Fusion Flat Black

Touch-Up/Trim Paints Used: Citadel and P3 (Privateer Press Paints(?) unsure.gif)

Stickers Used:

* Leftover Anasazi stickers

* Leftover Takatoys stickers

* One Yamato sticker (the "double-triangle, dash, 21" on the head/cowl)

* A few Toynami Stickers blink.gif (the triangle thingies near the canopy and the UN SPACY stickers)

* A good handful of custom/home-made stickers (most of the other stickers near the canopy/cockpit, the spades, and the aces)

Comments, questions, critiques?

Now if you'll excuse me......I gotta split some aces! cool.gif

gallery_3595_72_153529.jpg

Edited by Mog

Micro pens? cool, where can you get them? brand name?

A bunch of folks here on the board have recommended and commented on these in the past. They're basically those 0.1 and 005 pens/liners.

The two I've used in the past are Pigma Micron pens and Copic Multi Liner pens.

You usually can stick with basic black for panel-lining. But I've found the grey ink version of these pens to be quite useful in panel-lining white or light grey portions of a Valk/mecha. The grey ink gives a slightly subtle, less pronounced panel-line.

One thing to note though: you should always trace your panel-line at an angle with these pens. You never want to trace it straight down (perpendicular to the surface you're tracing on), or else you risk permanently damaging and rendering useless the pen and its tip.

I've found these pens (and the spray paint and the ink jet sticker printing sheets) at a nearby arts supply store. I don't believe they ship internationally, but here's their website: Linky.

Edited by Mog

Where can i find that display stand?

Surprised you haven't seen the hundreds of posts and pics about these stands all over the board. They're called FlexiDisplay stands, and you can preorder them here: Linky.

You may also want to see if anyone's selling them in the For Sale section here, but I doubt there's too many second-hand sellers of these right now.

that looks awesome. Now if only i had the time and skill to do that.

Understand, there's a bunch of master customizers here on the board that can run circles around me. Hell, I'm nowhere near their league.

Also, this was my first full-on/complete repaint of a Macross fighter and my first serious attempt at spray-painting a toy.

But there's enough tips, tricks, and advice posted here on the board to get a person steered in the right direction, should they decide to do a custom.

Surprised you haven't seen the hundreds of posts and pics about these stands all over the board. They're called FlexiDisplay stands, and you can preorder them here: Linky.

You may also want to see if anyone's selling them in the For Sale section here, but I doubt there's too many second-hand sellers of these right now.

Thanks mate :) , too bad there aren't any photos of the version 2 flexi display stands on Laftoys.