Who was your favourite Macross Frontier character?

taksraven

Favourite Macross Frontier Character.  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you like best?

• Ranka Lee
    • Sheryl Nome
    • Alto Saotome
    • Michael Blanc
    • Luca Angelloni
    • Nanase Matsuura
    • Ozma Lee
    • Canaria Berstein
    • Klan Klan
    • Jeffrey Wilder
    • Bobby Margot
    • Richard Bilrer
    • Cathy Glass
    • Leon Mishima
    • Grace O'Connor
    • Brera Sterne
    • Monica Lange
    • Mina Roshan
    • Ram Hoa
    • Tehmzin

I also think it's funny that no one has voted for Ozma yet.

Graham

I take it that you mean Alto? Ozma has had plenty of votes.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Alto's an okay character. While it may not seem like it, he's got a few subtle nuances that alot of people may miss. However, it's just that Sheryl is just a more awesome character.

For those interested, there are a couple of good posts about his character over at THAT.

Edited by d3v

#1. SHERYL NOME - I like her character development and her songs. All the Hippocows in the universe bows to the Queen's greatness. nuff said. :lol:

#2? Probably Ozma Lee. All the Hippocows respects his B@d@$$ attitude and Manliness. B))

#3? Maybe Michael Blanc/Klan Klan. :)

I didn't really feel an attachment to any of the characters Sheryl included, they were all kind of boring or annoying in some way or another. I voted Ozma; he got shot down Fokker style and survived, that's at least worth something, it sucks he didn't get more screen time towards the end of the series.

Sheryl

Sorry I have never watched Macross Frontier but somehow my instinct tells me that I must automatically vote Sheryl and she is an awesome character beyond a certain crappy show, which has ruined all good impressions and memories I previously had on Macross series.

Edit: I wonder if my words make sense. Guess it's same with the show, which doesn't make sense.

Huh? You've allowed a show you've never seen to ruin all of Macross for you...? :blink:

And, y'know...the show makes a lot more sense when you actually WATCH it... :p

I didn't really feel an attachment to any of the characters Sheryl included, they were all kind of boring or annoying in some way or another.

This is exactly what I think.

- Alto crying all the time for no reason like a f*cking horse because he doesn't know what to do.

- Sheryl saying all the time ''I'm Sheryl, Sheryl Nome''. We all know you name you damn insecure b*tch. <_< JUST SHUT THE HELL UP !!!

- Ranka playing the ''cute girl'' because she can't obviously compete with Sheryl's boobs and a$$.

- Ozma wanting to prove he is a man at every occasion possible surely because he doesn't want to admit to himself the INDISPUTABLE fact he is gay. So he found a good way to deny his homosexuality in ''protecting women he loves'' lol.

And I'm not going to talk about the rest of the cast because honestly I can't find the courage to criticize USELESS characters. <_<

Edited by Macross007

1 Ranka

2 Ozma

3 Michel

4 Brera

5 Alto

6 Nanase

8 Klan

7 Grace

8 Sheryl

9 Luca

It's not like I prefer Grace over Sheryl, but I think you can see how Grace was an important character even if evil she has a meaning to exist.

I know, here the major part of members are rooting for Sheryl. But I didn't find her that amazing except in one episode the 21 .

It's as if they extended Sheryl's character in the story just for her to be the rival in love for Ranka.

Of course , she is Mao 's granddaughter but what was the link with Macross Frontier ?!How did they use it ? So Mao gave her the earrings and that's all ?

In episode 18 we learned that she was dying, and everybody made speculation about how she will be cure...

I would have never imagined that Ranka would say/do something like " go into her belly" and fantastic, Sheryl is cured ... :huh:

So what was the meaning of spending time with Sheryl's disease if it was to cure her in the most hilarious and simple way ?

I think it was a huge waste of time for the story and they could have describe more Bilrer's intention or place in the story, same thing for Ozma, or even add more information about Galaxy and fights ...

I even wonder now why Michel died since he was supposed to be the reason for Alto's choice between Sheryl and Ranka in the story.

Here, also this was a waste not of time but for his character. I would have love to see him Macronize since he had zentradi origins too, but, no, instead of that they made him play the big brother role for Alto, who forced him, to face his feelings for nothing, since at the end " you're both my wings" pretty discredit Michel's meaning in the story.

But I liked his character and how he was as dense as Alto in a way since he wasn't aware of Klan 's feelings for him, but was aware of his reponsabilities towards his role on Frontier, unlike someone else who noticed it at the end :rolleyes: ...

If I have to blame Kawamori for the characters, I will say that the gap between Sheryl and Ranka was too big and Ranka had no chance to win the audience unlike Sheryl.

Sheryl like I said it here before, had all, the face, the body, the voice , the forceful character, ...

Ranka, she, had her cute face, a body of a 12 years old girl, a shy character....

Now when we compare the two, it's clear Sheryl had more qualities than Ranka.

But it was all right since it was compensated by Ranka's place in the story, her role with the vajra which were supposed to show how a shy girl like her could become a mature woman throught the story plot. (I don't even think Ranka was supposed to take Minmay's road until the end...)

But, they put the " Sheryl is dying " card which was pretty unfair for Ranka since at that time, they didn't show us how Ranka has matured ,which happenned in the 21 when she leaved Frontier.

So obviously all viewers took sympathy for a character like Sheryl who was at the top of her glory, and began to lose everything she had but kept singing and even began to show her inner beauty ? :o . This is a pure fantasy here; even Brithney Spears cannot do it.... :lol:

They spended time to show how Sheryl wasn't the Sheryl of episode 1 but couldn't do the same with Ranka who was the main girl in the story ?

That's why I put Sheryll in the bottom of my list for the favorite characters. It seems she took too much screentime with her disease which was cured in 10 seconds and overshadowed Ranka,Michel,Brera's role in the story. Even before knowing she was dying, they showed us, how much she was the victim of the destiny or of random events but not for Ranka who was always compared to Minmay or Mao in the plot.

I know Ranka's chara design was done on purpose, her character too, but I'm sure Sheryl's place on the story wasn't initially that big if not, they wouldn't have made Alto says " I will kill Ranka" = Sakura's sentence who must kill her love, they wouldn't have made that fast cure for her, ....

So at the end, I may be an intruder here, but I think Sheryl 's role in the story was to be a idol love interest, and that's how they showed her in the story.

Her dying was revealed to be an unnecessary twist in the story, which I regret profondly.

I hope Ranka will have the place she deserves in the movie.

- Alto crying all the time for no reason like a f*cking horse because he doesn't know what to do.

- Sheryl saying all the time ''I'm Sheryl, Sheryl Nome''. We all know you name you damn insecure b*tch. <_< JUST SHUT THE HELL UP !!!

- Ranka playing the ''cute girl'' because she can't obviously compete with Sheryl's boobs and a$$.

- Ozma wanting to prove he is a man at every occasion possible surely because he doesn't want to admit to himself the INDISPUTABLE fact he is gay. So he found a good way to deny his homosexuality in ''protecting women he loves'' lol.

And I'm not going to talk about the rest of the cast because honestly I can't find the courage to criticize USELESS characters. <_<

My sentiments exactly; after about the eighth time of hearing Sheryl repeat her name i was ready to just skip all of the character driven scenes. The over-masculine Ozma was exhausting but since they refused to give him any real screen time it's not like they could actually "develop" his character, which then brings us to the useless characters who were removed from the series about as fast as they were introduced. If this series was about 10 or more episodes longer, I think there could have been some real character development and something to really attach yourself to, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Ranka was the Basara of macross frontier. Her ability to heal doesn't come as a surprise because she can talk to the germs, and remember the germs can do two things to you:

1. if you merge they use you as one of their own (just like being bitten by a zombie or vampire, you become one of them to help them) Ranka was infected at birth and merged with the germs.

2. you die if you try to resist.

Now if at that point Ranka was the queen she could order the little germs to stop attacking using fold waves. The germs know what you are thinking so if you reject them then they kill.

Magick has been in macross since macross 7 and macross zero so I have gotten used to this.

My fave character is probably the vajra: they think with their guts so they are like cockroaches which can still live long after you have cut their heads off. Sure they are mindless, but that is what makes them unique monsters. I think they are much scarier than the bugs in Blue Gender. Fast, expendable, attacks in swarms. And they are caring for their mother. Not their fault they are so damn ugly! They can survive in space too. I think they'd make great pets. Forget the ghosts, they are obsolete toys.

Since ranka is one of them, I voted for her. Without the power of that insect love song, everyone would be dead. Sheryl's pop songs didn't awaken the monster's memories of bug love. She couldn't connect to the insects so they couldn't become fans and own her song and identify with it.

A bit like how some people after listening to a favourite song enough times it becomes a part of them; they place ownership of it and say "that's 'my' song!" If you can't connect with the fans, the power of it is limited. The fold wave is just the way to transmit the song, the song itself contains the feeling and soul which makes people want to listen to it.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I didn't read the comments above me but I missed it, :lol: funny!

Magick has been in macross since macross 7 and macross zero so I have gotten used to this.

I still didn't get over the " germs: go to Sheryl's belly" part ...

My fave character is probably the vajra: they think with their guts so they are like cockroaches which can still live long after you have cut their heads off. Sure they are mindless, but that is what makes them unique monsters. I think they are much scarier than the bugs in Blue Gender. Fast, expendable, attacks in swarms. And they are caring for their mother. Not their fault they are so damn ugly! They can survive in space too. I think they'd make great pets. Forget the ghosts, they are obsolete toys.

Since ranka is one of them, I voted for her. Without the power of that insect love song, everyone would be dead. Sheryl's pop songs didn't awaken the monster's memories of bug love. She couldn't connect to the insects so they couldn't become fans and own her song and identify with it.

My,my... Poor Ranka :lol:

My sentiments exactly; after about the eighth time of hearing Sheryl repeat her name i was ready to just skip all of the character driven scenes. The over-masculine Ozma was exhausting but since they refused to give him any real screen time it's not like they could actually "develop" his character, which then brings us to the useless characters who were removed from the series about as fast as they were introduced. If this series was about 10 or more episodes longer, I think there could have been some real character development and something to really attach yourself to, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

I don't know for you, but I find Macross 7 way more enjoyable to watch than Frontier. I can understand people hating Macross 7 with a passion, but those same people can't deny the fact that Seven is a series showing a powerfull message and a strong spirit. What is the message and the spirit behind Frontier ? Answer : Overused mecha p0rn, annoying and selfish characters, weak plot, men wanting to prove their ''masculinity'' lol ''in protecting women they love'' lol, women shaking their a$$ and boobs on stage because they think it's a perfect way to solve their insecurity problems.

In the original Macross, Plus, Seven and even Zero, we have characters showing their true emotions in many fantastic ways (Basara singing wtih his heart, Isamu flying with a smile in dangerous skies, Roy and Shin fighting wars with their broken souls, etc). But in Frontier, we have characters behaving in a very stereotypical way (Ozma ''The Man'', Sheryl ''Shake Your A$$'' Nome, Alto ''The Crying Man'', ...). Macross Frontier ... what a tasteless series that is. <_<

Edited by Macross007

I don't know for you, but I find Macross 7 way more enjoyable to watch than Frontier. I can understand people hating Macross 7 with a passion, but those same people can't deny the fact that Seven is a series showing a powerfull message and a strong spirit. What is the message and the spirit behind Frontier ? Answer : Overused mecha p0rn, annoying and selfish characters, weak plot, men wanting to prove their ''masculinity'' lol ''in protecting women they love'' lol, women shaking their a$$ and boobs on stage because they think it's a perfect way to solve their insecurity problems.

In the original Macross, Plus, Seven and even Zero, we have characters showing their true emotions in many fantastic ways (Basara singing wtih his heart, Isamu flying with a smile in dangerous skies, Roy and Shin fighting wars with their broken souls, etc). But in Frontier, we have characters behaving in a very stereotypical way (Ozma ''The Man'', Sheryl ''Shake Your A$$'' Nome, Alto ''The Crying Man'', ...). Macross Frontier ... what a tasteless series that is. <_<

I made it about half way through Seven and lost interest, I've been told it's one of those series that you have to bite the bullet through and it grows on you, but i just had to take a break. I don't even think it was the characters (though i was getting really sick of Basara) but all of the recycled and inconsistent animation wasn't doing it for me. In all fairness i'm sure it wouldn't have been bad if i were watching it on a weekly basis as opposed to back to back, but i'm sure i'll revisit it soon. Plus was awesome, but i think I watched it too many times and am completely burnt out on Plus. I wasn't too fond of Myung, and I felt the whole post traumatic stress disorder with Guld was kind of stupid (not so much the disorder itself but everyone's surrounding behavior and it's ultimate "fix" i felt needed more thought).

Nothing touches the original as far as substance, i'm glad Frontier is here because it allows Macross to come back into the limelight, sell some merchandise, and hopefully it'll pave the way for some more Macross in the near future, but as far as actual story and characters, i'm in it for the merchandise.

Sheryl

Sorry I have never watched Macross Frontier but somehow my instinct tells me that I must automatically vote Sheryl and she is an awesome character beyond a certain crappy show, which has ruined all good impressions and memories I previously had on Macross series.

Edit: I wonder if my words make sense. Guess it's same with the show, which doesn't make sense.

proper English syntax, it would do you a world of good.

So what if i voted for Grace.....2 words you can eat: Juggy Badass!!!!

hmm....i just thought of something....I bet that Fairy Alto is a VIRGIN.

not after episode 22 he wasn't. :lol:

I have watched it and strived to delete it from my memory.

Um...whatever you say, Champ.

oh no here comes the sleeping together speculation again.

Not only did Sheryl and Alto sleep together, but the Howells were having sex, the Professor was banging Ginger AND Mary Ann, and the Skipper had Gilligan many, many times. ^_^

you knew it was coming the moment daflip207 put the words "alto" and "virgin" in the same sentence. ;)

^_^

fixed.

bobby had his way with him while michael and luca weren't looking. :lol:

I'm more inclined to believe this happened than the ep 22 madness. :lol:

Um...whatever you say, Champ.

Not only did Sheryl and Alto sleep together, but the Howells were having sex, the Professor was banging Ginger AND Mary Ann, and the Skipper had Gilligan many, many times. ^_^

Hey, I don't know about you but, back in the day Mary Ann was hot!!! Shoot, I remember watching Gilligan Island just to see her!! Sheryl ain't got NOTHING on MARY ANN!!! :lol:

Okay I will stand and put a target on myself by saying that Alto is not a bad character. He's not as deep as some but I feel that he did not make many of the mistakes that are done by others. He didn't run away, he didn't cry about how he didn't want to hurt anyone and war is so unfair, and he did his best to protect the fleet.

I think he gets a lot of flak due to if someone likes Ranka then they bash him for any scenes he had with Sherly, and reverse that for any Sherly shippers. So if 50% of fans like Ranka and 50% are for Sherly, does that mean that there is 100% Alto bashing? :D

Haven't voted, but Capt'n Wilder gets points for having the brass ones to go pirate when the going gets tough.

--dives into foxhole and pulls helmet down--

hey I never said how long I would stand and take fire :D

Okay I will stand and put a target on myself by saying that Alto is not a bad character. He's not as deep as some but I feel that he did not make many of the mistakes that are done by others. He didn't run away, he didn't cry about how he didn't want to hurt anyone and war is so unfair, and he did his best to protect the fleet.

I think he gets a lot of flak due to if someone likes Ranka then they bash him for any scenes he had with Sherly, and reverse that for any Sherly shippers. So if 50% of fans like Ranka and 50% are for Sherly, does that mean that there is 100% Alto bashing? :D

Haven't voted, but Capt'n Wilder gets points for having the brass ones to go pirate when the going gets tough.

--dives into foxhole and pulls helmet down--

hey I never said how long I would stand and take fire :D

I agree with this. Alto in quite a few ways is a throwback to the days before we got modern mecha anime leads who were either too angsty or to overtly hot-blooded. He doesn't have the seemingly requisite "wanting not to fight" moments halfway through the series and I like the fact that he's willing to fight and die for Frontier (despite his misgivings for the lack of a true sky) I also like that while he's above average, but he's not miraculously good to the point where there's an unstated reliance on him. He fights as part of the team, receiving help as well as giving help to his teammates when necessary. The only time where everyone does turn to him is for shipboard infiltration and rescue, which seems to be his specialty.

Just looking at the poll results. I knew that Sheryl was popular, but I didn't realise she was THAT popular. Anybody else surprised by this? Anybody want to offer any explanations?

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Just looking at the poll results. I knew that Sheryl was popular, but I didn't realise she was THAT popular. Anybody else surprised by this? Anybody want to offer any explanations?

Taksraven

you're honestly surprised about this? the signs of sheryl's extreme popularity in MW is all around, and most of the polls had her winning via landslide. i'm actually surprised that Ozma is making a fight out of it (i expected the 2nd placer to be klanklan).

Edited by dreamweaver13

you're honestly surprised about this? the signs of sheryl's extreme popularity in MW is all around, and most of the polls had her winning via landslide. i'm actually surprised that Ozma is making a fight out of it (i expected the 2nd placer to be klanklan).

Yeah well, I am surprised. Like I said, I knew that she was popular, I didn't realise she was *that* popular. I guess that I thought the votes would have been spread around a bit more and not so concentrated on one character. I thought that Ranka would have had at least half the votes that Sheryl had. (Yes, I know that Ranka was not popular with a lot of fans)

I am surprised about Ozma as well. It makes me realise that they should have fleshed out Fokkers character in the original Macross series a lot more.

Klan is a bit of a surprise as well. Maybe she was shot down too many times. I think she would have polled better if she was more of an ace pilot.

Taksraven

Taksraven

I for one am certainly not surprised... Sheryl is such an outstanding character that it makes me wonder why the rest of the cast seems so lackluster in comparison - especially given that sheryl was never originally intended to be so damn good. if kawamori had left all the character dynamics to ohnogi from the start and just concentrated himself on the overall storyline and mechapron, frontier would likely have gone from being merely a superb 25th anniversary tribute to a legendary epic in its' own right - 25 years from now we might have been seeing a '25th anniversary tribute' to frontier lol.