1/72 Commanchero gunship

captain america

A 3 part plug would work. Make it in 3 longitudinal slices. when the form is pulled over it just remove the mliddle slice and the 2 outer ones will have wiggle room to get removed from the part. the end result will be a very nice defined bubble shape

No, if I do that, there would be seams in the canopy that would be near impossible to remove. If my idea works, there would be no seams :)

No, if I do that, there would be seams in the canopy that would be near impossible to remove. If my idea works, there would be no seams :)

Ah but if you were to sandwich the 3 parts before you shape it you would be machining them all level ad there wouldnt be more seams than on a hasegawa injection canopyif any at all . Those are easy to polish out. Also a person of Johns skill should be able to machine something perfectly suitable.

Dinner plates, cereal bowl? Sounds like somebody's been skipping meals to sculpt :lol:

I know what it is that looks off to me. The sideways bulge is alright (you're right about the head-on line art). The front canopy looks to be almost on the same sloping angle as the fuselage (looking sideways) . Right now it bulges up instead of blending into the slope. I believe the rear canopy is good to go.

No criticism, just some feedback with another point of view. When I get into a project for a long time, I miss details looking at it for too long. That's when I go to my wife and ask "what's this look like to you."

An easy way out on the canopies is to mold them over resin blanks that have handles on them and a cut line. Then all you have to do is mold them and let us finish them off.

Looking awesome, MDF has never looked better (except on other sculpts you've done). - MT

Edited by MechTech

Dinner plates, cereal bowl? Sounds like somebody's been skipping meals to sculpt :lol:

I know what it is that looks off to me. The sideways bulge is alright (you're right about the head-on line art). The front canopy looks to be almost on the same sloping angle as the fuselage (looking sideways) . Right now it bulges up instead of blending into the slope. I believe the rear canopy is good to go.

The bubbling of the front canopy is actually deliberate; the lineart does indeed make the front canopy slope down in a much more conservative way. I took some creative liberty in that area so as to avoid making the foreward fuselage look too "hefty." Plus I figured it would give the pilot better aft visibility... I guess I'm the only one who thinks the buble canopies look cool :unsure:

The bubbling of the front canopy is actually deliberate; the lineart does indeed make the front canopy slope down in a much more conservative way. I took some creative liberty in that area so as to avoid making the foreward fuselage look too "hefty." Plus I figured it would give the pilot better aft visibility... I guess I'm the only one who thinks the buble canopies look cool :unsure:

nope, I love what you've done.

looks reeeal nice.

John,

This is something I always wondered. How come the canopies have to be vaccume formed?

Is it harder to make a clear canopie like Haseygawa makes for velks or any Plastic model kit out there?

Or is that its much Cheeper to do the way I see the bubble form made?

Reason i am asking is. I just always have a hard time with cutting that material when Making a kit. Example the mask for the Zentradi you have made.

Carl

John,

This is something I always wondered. How come the canopies have to be vaccume formed?

Is it harder to make a clear canopie like Haseygawa makes for velks or any Plastic model kit out there?

Or is that its much Cheeper to do the way I see the bubble form made?

Reason i am asking is. I just always have a hard time with cutting that material when Making a kit. Example the mask for the Zentradi you have made.

Carl

Water clear cast resin canopies are a pill to make and even then are sometimes less clear & thin as vacc formed ones.

I used to prefer clear resin canopies, but the last couple I've received just didnt cut it. Quality can vary dramatically. Vac form seem the better option - until the technology catches up. Having said this, I'm currently exploring clear resin casting options.

I'm sure the Captain will do whatever's best!

Edited by PetarB

As mentioned above, clear resin canopies can be a real b*tch to make. I have experimented with many different types of resins, and aside from the fact that if you don't get a perfectly consistent thickness throughout the canopy, the cockpit will appear distorted through it, there are many problems with resin consistency and hardness when cured. Basically, I want the end result to be the best it can be, and it's very hard to beat vac-formed lexan for clarity.

As for them being difficult to cut, I think that I can help solve that issue by providing a resin "buck" that can be used to trace, trim and support the canopy while cutting; a template essentially, that I can include in the kit. I'm a smartass with an answer for everything. Almost. :lol:

As mentioned above, clear resin canopies can be a real b*tch to make. I have experimented with many different types of resins, and aside from the fact that if you don't get a perfectly consistent thickness throughout the canopy, the cockpit will appear distorted through it, there are many problems with resin consistency and hardness when cured. Basically, I want the end result to be the best it can be, and it's very hard to beat vac-formed lexan for clarity.

As for them being difficult to cut, I think that I can help solve that issue by providing a resin "buck" that can be used to trace, trim and support the canopy while cutting; a template essentially, that I can include in the kit. I'm a smartass with an answer for everything. Almost. :lol:

Thats cool john, I think you have done that in the past. I noticed that with the Zentradi face armor that you made in the past.

November 4th update.

I'm happy to say that I'm finally in the last strech of the project; most of the components have now been sculpted, and only little details need to be refined.While it may not show, there have actually been a multitude f corrections on the main parts to get them to look just the way I want them, as well as the canopies, which are not quite as bulbous, most noteably the one for the front cockpit.

The first 3 pics are, as you can clearly see, beauty shots. Due either to my own ineptitude or the compression created by the lens, I can't seem to get the angle shown in the line-art quite right.

post-632-1225826330_thumb.jpg

post-632-1225826340_thumb.jpg

post-632-1225826350_thumb.jpg

Next, we have a full frontal and 3/4 bird's eye view. In the final update, I will take pics of the Commanchero next to the bare fuselage of a Hind, just to show you how huge this baby is. The weapons pods have been both widened and rounded to better match some of the line-art.

The third pic shows (left to right) the rocket pod assembly, the rotor-mounted cereal bowl (top-left,) the main landing struts and wheels, and the tail-mounted landing tyre (top-right)all of which are in various stages of completion.

post-632-1225826831_thumb.jpg

post-632-1225826844_thumb.jpg

post-632-1225826862_thumb.jpg

Next, the standard side view. The rotor does,as mentioned previously, borrow its blades from a 1/72 Hind, though pretty much everything else is made from scratch. Next is a rear view. The engine exhaust nozzles and tail rotor gearbox housing are done, I simply didn't bother to attach them for the pic.

Third, cockpit shots with my temporary 1/72 crew cheif. I made the instrument panel shrouds lage and thick, as though perhaps they might themselves be armored so as to provide the drivers some measure of extra AAA protection. The instrument panels are closer to the VF-1 in terms of being essentially glass cockpit displays, with few (if any) analog gauges. I still have to add the control column assembly and other details, but the whole thing is progressing nicely.

I should have the whole gunship finished, riveted & armor-plated by Friday or Saturday, and a pictorial update will follow. Stay tuned!

post-632-1225827354_thumb.jpg

post-632-1225827364_thumb.jpg

post-632-1225827374_thumb.jpg

post-632-1225827393_thumb.jpg

John, thats just awsome!

OK Question:

Do you plan on making a TV Version 1/72 VF Looking Pilot??? John! Serious We have never had a 1/72 TV Pilot. Only the pilots we have are from DYRL. And since We know they wear the same Helmet and uniform as the VF Pilots! It would just be a NICE Touch! 8)! :lol::lol:

I beg of yea oh great Maker of Kits. (I would even pay extra for the Pilots!)

Not to derail the thread, if John doesn't have resculpted TV-style pilots, I have it on pretty good authority there will be another announcement before Christmas that will please you.

I did some research and found that That Most of the UN-SPACY forces wore the same kind of Uniform when it came to pilots, with exception of Destroids and a few other things.

Pilots who flew the Commanchero, Cats-eye, VF's, Stargoose, etc had the same Flight Uniform and Helmet, and well I would love to just place some Decent looking 1/72 TV version Pilots and or Destroids in Johns Kits.

If John truly looks into Re-doing the Cats-eye. Which I really wish he would Do next, I think he would break Sales Records for Kits sold. John would CRUSH Tanmans design and I for one would be buying at least 2. But the need to Fill the cockpit with Decent looking Pilots is important to me.

I would love to have my Little AquaBlue VF-Pilot Like in these pics. (PS. Would love the option to doing the Space Version of the Helmet too with the face guard and visor)

post-1578-1225955249_thumb.jpg

post-1578-1225955255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ranger565

If John truly looks into Re-doing the Cats-eye. Which I really wish he would Do next, I think he would break Sales Records for Kits sold. John would CRUSH Tanmans design and I for one would be buying at least 2. But the need to Fill the cockpit with Decent looking Pilots is important to me.

I'm with you Carl, but with the Aussie dollar being lousy at the moment :( (as in kits costing nearly double what they did three months back) I'd be ok with waiting a little longer! :)

She's coming along great! The cockpit and all the other details are great looking. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was a real design. - MT

If you think that was convincing, have a look at her with full rivets & panels :lol:

I'll have a full update of the masters tomorrow, but I'll just give this one sneek peek for tonight.

post-632-1226102857_thumb.jpg