Podcast: Macross Frontier

Ginrai

Get out of my freaking head man, I swear you guys read my thoughts sometimes and just ramp 'em up. While I don;t agree 100% thus far with everything said I do agree that Ranka was a PITA, I was far more in favor if Sheryl from the beginning despite her b!tch!ness, no loli for me. I also think that the Klan-Klan thing could have been handled better, with less comedy but the character really shines towards the end. I am actually rewatching hte series now, and after seeing the whole thing it comes off much better, even the bad episodes, showing that it was tightly written in many areas with very good cohession. Definitely one of the best Macross, it has upset my list and I can't figure which pedestal to put it on. Oh and as the guy who does Mecha Image of the Day put it, "Pretty Boys, why Macross Plus is Still #1"

Edited by Knight26

Currently downloading episode, and looking forward to it. ^_^

or as he has so blatantly put it himself "George Yamamori"

I'd like to believe that they only picked "George" because it transliterates into Japanese as "Joji" (rhymes with "Shoji"), but I may be wrong...

I'm pretty sure Isamu was supposed to be a pretty boy. It's just that the character designs in Plus sucked.

Considering that Frontier's designs were amateur grade and absolutely terrible, I'm not sure if that's an excuse.

Besides, Alto & Co was designed specifically to provide fodder for yaoi doujinshi... Isamu wasn't.

I like this podcast. I totally agree with the plot points that go nowhere.

Except the Ranka bashing. LEAVE RANKA LEE ALONNNNNNNEEEEEE!!!! :lol:

But actually if you hanged about the polls here, Sheryl won the popular vote by a landslide. If anything I don't see much Ranka supporters amongst english speaking fans.

Regarding Sentai team : I think the true intention was for Skull Squadron to be depicted as a true special forces unit where each member works in unison to complete mission objectives. We sort of see this in episodes 2 and 3 where Michel takes firing position while Ozma goes hand 2 hand....while Luca....Luca does nothing.....most of the time. I think this idea had so much potential and it was wasted that they didn't used it well. Imagine if Skull Squadron is sent to operate behind enemy lines, Michel snipes from a distance confusing enemy ranks, Luca does his electronic warfare by doing jamming or whatever and Alto is the frontliner. Ozma leads the team and is the heavy weapons guy, buying time for the Frontier to escape or whatever. Sadly we don't even see Ozma doing much of a leading role except yelling "Planet Dance" and "Totsugeki Love Heart" and everyone splits from formation and does their own thing. Its sad really.

No no, I meant calling Luca the Nene of Frontier.

I really feel you guys hit the nail on the head with atleast Side A of your review.

To be honest it was the same discussion, it was just going on too long and I didn't want to put out a podcast that was an hour and 45 minutes. You will find Side B is much in the same vein as Side A, just with way more spoilers. :)

Great stuff. Agree with 99% of the things said. Interesting perspectives too. Can't wait for the next side.

Don't worry guys, I was one of the Ranka supporters in the beginning of the show, and the Sheryl haters due to their first impressions. But oh boy did that take an about turn when Sheryl's trials and tribulations were portrayed through the series.

I'd love a further discussion on the topic of Gabriella Robin and Yoko Kanno being the same person, from which I agree. But I don't know much more onthe subject other than an interview on a website I read once.

Edited by kensei

Great stuff. Agree with 99% of the things said. Interesting perspectives too. Can't wait for the next side.

Don't worry guys, I was one of the Ranka supporters in the beginning of the show, and the Sheryl haters due to their first impressions. But oh boy did that take an about turn when Sheryl's trials and tribulations were portrayed through the series.

I'd love a further discussion on the topic of Gabriella Robin and Yoko Kanno being the same person, from which I agree. But I don't know much more onthe subject other than an interview on a website I read once.

Well, I don't think there's any way to know, so I'm loathe to call it fact, but it sure SEEMS like they're the same person.

Bring on part 2!

I sorta disagree on Brera, who I think wa s abit better pilot than u guys seemed too (Though his outfit DOES suck).

As for Cyborgs on Galaxy: I got the impression almost everyone had some level of cyborgisation, so that they can make stuff work. Brera seems to have some sort of cyborg components in his brain, but its unknown where else, as Opposed to Graces Shell. I dont know that he was forced into it, I assumed they brainwashed him through his standard control implants.