Summary of all SDFM/DYRL references in Macross Frontier

dreamweaver13

Can we put Evangelion references when SUPER pack Klan sortied in Island 1? :huh:

eva 1 derrierre. :) we should also add the evangelion reference when nanase was comatose and bandaged in the hospital bed and luca....

wait? huh, what? that scene was censored out? oh... oh well... :p

nice catches. some of them i didn't realize yet until your post. :)

ok, here's some more:

Ep 12:

- Ranka singing while on the backseat of the VF25, as Alto pilots. reminiscent of Hikaru and Misa around saturn's rings in DYRL.

that should be Minmay not Misa

I think I spotted another Macross Plus reference: in ep. 2 when Ozma talk to Alto about the VF-25, he says "thrilling da ne", which should be the same thing Isamu says to Lucy on the bike ride.

FV

while i commend your keen sense of observation in catching that one, I am now cursed with the thought that ozma might have been trying to get into alto's pants. :wacko::p

while i commend your keen sense of observation in catching that one, I am now cursed with the thought that ozma might have been trying to get into alto's pants. :wacko::p

Maybe, just for a moment, Ozma forgot that Alto was not a girl. :lol:

In episode 22 during the battle at the end of the episode, Alto switches his VF-171EX into gerwalk and tries to smash Ozma's VF-25 with its legs. It was like in Macross Zero episode 3, when Nora tries the same maneuver to smash Shin's VF-0.

In episode 4 just as Alto was launching for his final enlistment test, Bridge Bunny Ram Hoa says "Goodluck Skull-4" with Alto replying the infamous "Thank you" ala Hikaru Ichijyo in DYRL when flight control told him "Goodluck to you" at the start of the movie.

This one should have been added long ago seeing as how we were pointing it out back when the episode came out. :p

Ep. 1

The way the VF-171s position themselves (complete with wing verniers firing for stabilization) as well as how they line up their targets to lock on their missiles is just like the opening battle of DYRL.

- CF pilot uniforms = DYRL pilot uniforms

Also, the uniforms themselves are a mix of designed from previous series. The striped shoulders are reminiscent of the DYRL and Macross Plus flight suits while the chestpiece would fit more in 7.

Edited by d3v

This one should have been added long ago seeing as how we were pointing it out back when the episode came out. :p

Ep. 1

The way the VF-171s position themselves (complete with wing verniers firing for stabilization) as well as how they line up their targets to lock on their missiles is just like the opening battle of DYRL.

Also, the uniforms themselves are a mix of designed from previous series. The striped shoulders are reminiscent of the DYRL and Macross Plus flight suits while the chestpiece would fit more in 7.

On the subject of flight suits, the NUNS uniforms are similar to the original series uniforms. Particularly Cathy Glass' uniform.

Ep 2:

- alto keeps shooting the vajra with his gunpod in gerwalk mode, like Hikaru shooting the Zentraedi in SDFM

- Alto, still in gerwalk, scoops up Ranka with the VF's right hand, similar to the way Hikaru rescued Minmay

- zero-g love! alto's VF's right arm gets shot and separated, ranka falls (this time upwards), alto opens the cockpit to rescue her. Direct reference to Hikaru rescuing Minmay mid-air in SDFM.

- ranka sitting on alto's lap after the rescue, somewhat reminiscent of Minmay sitting on Hikaru's lap in his jet (Hikaru you sly sly dog)

- Sheryl's glasses (while in disguise) looks a lot like Minmay's glasses in DYRL, also while in disguise

Edited by dreamweaver13

Ep 3:

- alto, sheryl and ranka being trapped in a hold, is a nod to Hikaru and Minmay being trapped inside the Macross in both SDFM and DYRL

- maguro buns is a nod to the constant reference of maguro in SDFM/DYRL. in fact, it could be a reference to the fact that in both DYRL and SDFM, Hikaru and Minmay always found a tuna while they were trapped. this time, it just happened to be a tuna bun.

- Cathy Glass' (when she rescued sheryl) suit looks like a curious version of the SDFM flight suit.

- Ozma getting injured with blood in the cockpit felt a bit like focker getting killed (at the time ep3 came out, we had no idea that a more blatant reference to focker's death would still be coming)

- ranka is about to join a miss macross contest!

Ep 2:

- alto keeps shooting the vajra with his gunpod in gerwalk mode, like Hikaru shooting the Zentraedi in SDFM

- Alto, still in gerwalk, scoops up Ranka with the VF's right hand, similar to the way Hikaru rescued Minmay

- zero-g love! alto's VF's right arm gets shot and separated, ranka falls (this time upwards), alto opens the cockpit to rescue her. Direct reference to Hikaru rescuing Minmay mid-air in SDFM.

- ranka sitting on alto's lap after the rescue, somewhat reminiscent of Minmay sitting on Hikaru's lap in his jet (Hikaru you sly sly dog)

- Sheryl's glasses (while in disguise) looks a lot like Minmay's glasses in DYRL, also while in disguise

Not only that, her hat is the same one that Minmay used to disguise herself in the original series.

oh YEAH! i knew it was familiar.

that SDFM marathon of yours is paying dividends, huh? :)

Yep, I'm already done with SDFM, Plus and Zero. Skipped most of 7 though and went straight to Operation Stargazer and the final battle/concert.

BTW, the hat looks better on Sheryl than on Minmay.

Edited by d3v

Here's something i didn't notice the first time:

In episode 14, while Ranka was still being held by the vajra queen, while they were travelling in the fold tunnel, ranka said "I want to go home. To where my friends are."

Now if the sub was accurate, it was basically the same thing that Misa said in DYRL (before she and Hikaru decided to get it on). i'll have to check later, though, if the actual japanese phrase used was the same. :)

Last night I finished watching SDF Macross for the first time (having watched Robotech as a kid), and noticed in the episode "Private time", that the guy on the SDF-1 bridge is named Machida (the subs name him Machizaki, but Misa clearly says Machida-kun)

Last night I finished watching SDF Macross for the first time (having watched Robotech as a kid), and noticed in the episode "Private time", that the guy on the SDF-1 bridge is named Machida (the subs name him Machizaki, but Misa clearly says Machida-kun)

are you referring to the guy with glasses who's terrified of the bridge bunnies? wow, he's toughened up a bit, hasn't he? :lol:

It looks like he's making up for his ancestors (grandfather?) lack of a spine.

Yep, that's the guy. :lol:

And if he's also the guy kissing the girl along the street in MF Ep 14, as a lot have theorized, he sure made up good.

grandaddy would be proud...in between hiding from his wife and his still-alive mom, and dreaming terrible dreams about the original bridge bunnies, of course. :D

And if he's also the guy kissing the girl along the street in MF Ep 14, as a lot have theorized, he sure made up good.

grandaddy would be proud...in between hiding from his wife and his still-alive mom, and dreaming terrible dreams about the original bridge bunnies, of course. :D

Incidentally, his Battroids pose when he fires his gunpod is similar to the stock "VF-17 firing gunpod" shot from Macross 7.

Also, in episode 14, Leon scolds Pres. Glass for smoking a cigar, similar to how Shammy always used to scold Cpt. Gloval (and the other dude) about smoking on the bridge. The only difference, Howard at least actually got to smoke his cigar before Leon caught him.