When and how did you first discover Macross?

ShizumaRobo

Back then, there used to be a local station that used to show a lot of anime movies. (Locke the Superman, Dallos) And "Clash of the Bionoids" happened to be one of them. I had no idea what the movie was, but it looked interesting. I came in from school one day and caught the part where Hikaru and Misa are camping out on a devestated Earth. I was practically blown away from what I saw afterwards.

Then for the first time I watched all of the Macross saga of Robotech on Toonami (R.I.P.) and it truly won me over. I had to see more Macross, so I checked out Macross Plus and II.

As usual a lot of bagging of Robotech, but despite this, it is still how a lot of us ended up here. (Not all though, but they were the lucky ones)

Taksraven

Yeah, its funny that the very same thing that got us into Macross, is also the cause of its hinderance in the U.S.

Yeah, its funny that the very same thing that got us into Macross, is also the cause of its hinderance in the U.S.

I will admit, that factor really annoys me now, its like we are being made to pay a price for dealing with the Devil.

Taksraven

Ahh...this takes me back to about 2003 or something like that. I remember I was curious about music videos for Danger Zone and Mighty Wings(the beginning and ending songs for Top Gun) and back when Kazaa was big I found it. So I downloaded the too and I saw all kinds of anime, it wasn't what I was looking for but nonetheless I was captivated. There was some clips of Wings of Honnemaise, old-school Area 88, and the one that caught my eye in particular was Macross Plus. And before the advent of cheap broadband, I asked my friend to look for it. He downloaded 4, but the last one was in fact the 4th episode of Macross in its Homotech form. So eventually I decided to buy the Movie Edition and I was captivated...and then I was led astray by mistaking HT as Macross...but luckily I fixed that and when I was able to gather my funds, I got SDFM when they were extremely expensive and I have been a fan since I guess 2003. ^_^

Robotech in 89.

I have no idea how it all started. I only remember having Robotech Volume 1 on VHS, and that I watched it over countless times, every day. Always wanted to know how the story continued...

Then came Macross Plus in 97(?). Then Macross DYRL, Macross 7, Zero and now MacF.

I'll always cherish Robotech: The Macross Saga for introducing me to the SDF Macross universe; but Mac is vastly and INFINITELY superior to RT, far by. Good thing AnimEigo released the original series on DVD - A great way to catch up.

<- Has become a die-hard Macross nut.

As with many of my generation Robotech was my first exposure to Macross. But then that's where things go interesting, around that same time we started going to a comic book shop in LaVerne that also carried a lot of anime merch, and showed anime movies in the back on weekends, no subs, no dubs, you walked in with a script and watched and translated by following along and reading the clock on the wall. My brother took me there to see DYRL for my b-day one year and after that I kind of forgot about it, hey I was young. Fast forward a few years and I am living in Tucson, AZ the video store nearby carries alot of imported anime and find CLash of the Bionoids, and within a year wear out their tape, at which point all I have is my brothers old comico comics. I then meet a guy in HS who was a total robotech head, we were lab partners in physics and got to talking about it, I would compare the comics to the novels, read them too, and the rpg, which he played and started to notice serious disconnects between the 3 series. Fast forward again to college and I find an anime store in tucson, and the internet and clash of the bionoids again and Macross Plus, I buy my own copy, as well as a copy of DYRL, the full DYRL on tape with subs, no idea where it came from, and of course wore them out. After that I took to the net and discovered so much more, 2012, Mac-7, the games, etc... though it would be years before I saw Mac-7 or 2012 my Macross passion had offiicaly been reignited.

There's no shame in being exposed to Robotech before Macross.

The only shame comes in what you do after learning the difference between the two :)

The correct answer is: EMBRACE MACROSS!

Couldn't agree more. Convert to the dark side of the Force!

robotech in 87, they were aired in mexico on channel 5,,,,since that I discover macross universe at 2002 with macross plus and zero

Went to Hong Kong in 1989 when I was 6 years old.

Cousin gave me his Takatoku VF-1S with Super Armor and Takatoku VF-1J with GBP-1S.

Fast forward to 1993. I was renting F.H.E. Transformer tapes at Rogers video. I came acros F.H.E.'s Robotech series on tape. I bawled my eyes out.

Edited by ComicKaze

Like most folks here, I discovered Macross through Robotech.

Not only did I watch the show everyday after school, but I'd also record the shows as they aired on VHS. It wasn't until years later, via my college Anime Club, that I discovered the real deal-- Macross.

I remember one of the local channels here picked up Macross sometime during the mid eighties. I remember being hooked to the point of borrowing betamax tapes of it that some shops were recording of TV and offering for rent. Never really finished it back then though. Rediscovered the series later on during the early 90's when Star TV started showing Robotech during the afternoons then afterwards, I got my hands on an issue of the Macross 2 manga, translated by Viz I believe. Later on, Star's chinese channel started showing Macross 7, although since the show was in cantonese I believe.

my first exposure to macross was a fateful christmas in 84' when me and my brother was sitting inside my parents car waiting for my dad to come out of work... when suddenly my dad comes out w/ a brand new gakken 1/8 mospeada cyclone (still have it!) and a skyfire (still got that too!) it was the best christmas.....i really dont remember most of my christmas years, but this one was memorable cuz of the cool toys! although i had toys that somewhat relate to macross, i was not officially exposed to macross until that year my mother rented a few videos from our local korean rental store. she rented macross and mospeada videos (korean dubbed! can you believe that???) for me and my brother, this is where all the madness began....... i even remember the episodes i watched! for macross it was the episode when hikaru having the nightmare. and for mospeada it was the episode where yellow dancer had the concert while the rebels jacked the fuel. ( i was only 4 then, but this is how much of an impact macross and mospeada had made on me to rememder this for sooo long). THEN came robotech ............. then in 1991.....i came across clash of the bionoids.......then in 1993 + .........sci fi convention at the shrine auditorium that exposed me to DYRL, plus, 7! ...then the internet came around.........THE END> or is it??? BTW i should start a thread on how expensive the 1/55 valks were waaaaayyyyyy b4 the internet! damn...those things were like relics back then! i remember a strike goin for $800 a VT ostrich goin for $1000!!!! ( i don even know if these were complete or at least in c9 or c 10 quality!!) the price of these are much more affordable now; however, i feel very bad for those that bought a bunch of these back then.......just like stocks i guess... they go up and sometimes they go wayyyyyy down. !

Edited by rusted180

too be fair we didnt have a choice in the matter

Thats right, but by the way that some people carry on here you would think that we did have a choice at the time.

Taksraven

Thats right, but by the way that some people carry on here you would think that we did have a choice at the time.

Taksraven

Err... I was 12 years old back then dude and completely blank about what real anime is... :rolleyes:

Hell... All I cared for was the mecha... ^_^

(Never ever blame the kids...) :lol:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn