Custom Hikaru Jetfire

optimator88

I just finished painting my Jetfire in TV version Hikaru colors. I had to brush all the colored paint on, what a pain. I really need to invest in an airbrush. Anyone have any suggestions for a good cheap one??

I'll post some other pics once I get it together.

post-9363-1222980491_thumb.jpg

Edited by optimator88

Your right brushing is a real pain in the ass. As far as cheap airbrushes go you can get single action ones made by Badger for arround $15 or so the one I have is light blue plastic and is ok for the type of stuff you have done with the Chunkie. When you get more demanding you can move on to a more expensive double action one, but the cheap one will still be useful as they are so easy to clean out. I use mine for primers and base coats still . Because I have a couple of Badger Airbrushes all the parts are interchangeable wich makes it even better.

Nice work.

With airbrushes I am a big fan of the Paasche H series all metal easy to clean and use. They also make a propelint can so you don't need to buy a compressor right a way.

Airbrush

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/cgi-bin/sto...tion+Airbrushes

Cans

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/cgi-bin/sto...+%26+Regulators

So I finally put this guy together. They come apart much easier than they go back together. I've been trying to force him in to Battroid mode but the sholder hinges stick. Looks like I've got some sanding to do.

I tried a coat of Future for the first time too, and it seems to really help with the chipping, but it's a little glossy for my taste. Should I coat the next one in a satin clear after the Future to get rid of the gloss??

post-9363-1223566402_thumb.jpg

post-9363-1223566481_thumb.jpg

post-9363-1223566662_thumb.jpg

So I finally put this guy together. They come apart much easier than they go back together. I've been trying to force him in to Battroid mode but the sholder hinges stick. Looks like I've got some sanding to do.

I tried a coat of Future for the first time too, and it seems to really help with the chipping, but it's a little glossy for my taste. Should I coat the next one in a satin clear after the Future to get rid of the gloss??

You can put a bit of acrylic flat coat in with the future to dull it off a bit. I use Tamiya in mine :) dont mix up too much though as it seems to go off after a few weeks.

Yup

There is a much more plentyful supply of jetfires out there, the only difference between a Jetfire and a Valk apart from colouration is the nose. The Jetfire's nose is rounded and kiddie safe. Whereas the Valk 1/55 is often refered to as a lawn dart because of the pointiness of the nose.

I love customizing valks, but I'm to scared to take my Yammies apart, much less paint them. Thats why I do Jetfires. You can get old yellowed ones off of ebay for a decent price ($20-30). It's too bad the Chunkies are so hard to pose. Does anyone know if there has been a Chunkie pose thread??

Edited by optimator88

Myself and Skull one have several threads on this subject. I did ask a while ago for our own Chunkie section on the forum. That would be easier. I know that Yammies are way better but most people still cut thier customising teeth on Chunkies as they are easy to get hold of take apart and way cheaper if you mess up. As a model builder its way more fun to engineer ways to make em better too.

Myself and Skull one have several threads on this subject. I did ask a while ago for our own Chunkie section on the forum. That would be easier. I know that Yammies are way better but most people still cut thier customising teeth on Chunkies as they are easy to get hold of take apart and way cheaper if you mess up. As a model builder its way more fun to engineer ways to make em better too.

right on mate!!! besides having the nostalgic feel......my kid enjoys playing with my chunkies....long live the chunks

I just finished painting my Jetfire in TV version Hikaru colors. I had to brush all the colored paint on, what a pain. I really need to invest in an airbrush. Anyone have any suggestions for a good cheap one??

I'll post some other pics once I get it together.

Looks really nice! For painting simple schemes like that I use a cheap-o single action brush from harborfreight tools, OR I put a cheap can of flat finish paint in an igloo filled with hot tapwater, shake it for a few minutes and spray using a hot can. After its really dry, I rub the painted surfaces with a clean shop rag to buff it a little. Gives it a really cool look. :)

Edit: I shake the can, not the igloo cooler! :lol:

Edited by Texan29

This might be obvious to everyone else, but I have to ask. What is an igloo, and why do you fill it with hot tap water??

Looks really nice! For painting simple schemes like that I use a cheap-o single action brush from harborfreight tools, OR I put a cheap can of flat finish paint in an igloo filled with hot tapwater, shake it for a few minutes and spray using a hot can. After its really dry, I rub the painted surfaces with a clean shop rag to buff it a little. Gives it a really cool look. :)

Edit: I shake the can, not the igloo cooler! :lol:

This might be obvious to everyone else, but I have to ask. What is an igloo, and why do you fill it with hot tap water??

An igloo is a brand of cooler. Fill it with hot tapwater (not boiling, just hot out of the faucet) and put the can(s) of paint you want to use in it and let it heat up for 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, dry the can and shake as usual. Reason for heating up the cans in hot water is it will give you a superior spray out of the can. No orange peel, no flecking, no runs. It's as close to airbrush quality you can get without using an airbrush. I find the testors paints, the little half cans...work best but most brands work great using this method.

post-1148-1225381119_thumb.jpg

Hmm Airbrushes are great, but for these, good and inexpensive usually don't go hand in hand. I bought an Iwata HP-c, and it was about $125. I bought a compressor too, cause sometimes, the cans can be unpredictable. anyways, I think this custom is very nice. Great work. Also, if you don't wanna go the airbrush route, you can always use spray cans. I do most of my custom work with spray cans, little airbrushing.

• 2 weeks later...