New Homeworld 2 Macross Mod

shadow3393

Small Update:

Haven't been able to do anything major, due to time constraints place on me by RL.

That being said, I have been tweaking some stuff.

Here is a vid of the Cheyenne II CIWS vs 60 missiles, 1 Uraga with 4 CheyenneIIs can handle up to about 50 missiles fired at it.

so what is going to be the mothership for the factions

It really doesn't matter which ship is the mothership, so long as it is able to move around. Cataclysm had a mothership that could move quite freely, whereas HW2's mothership could move but extremely slowly...

• 2 weeks later...

Small update

Got my hod editor to work again with Vista.

Tried to make textures for some ships......reaffirmed the fact that I suck at making textures.

If anybody is good at texturing let me know, I really need the help.

post-10089-1256024784_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1256024818_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1256024853_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadow3393

Question is what kind of models are you using and such and what texture format would you like and do you have a picture of the models you want textured?

The models for the most part are .obj (wavefront), homeworld uses .dds for textures, and I don't have pictures of all the units that need to be textured together but all of the ones that need to be textured have screen shots somewhere in this thread.

the units that are not textured

UN Spacy

Untextured:

Destroids:

Destroid Work

Capital Ships:

Northampton Class

Uraga Class

Vajira

Untextured:

Fighters:

Vajira Yellow

Vajira Red

Capital Ships:

Vajira Carrier

Edited by shadow3393

so other than doing the textures for those units whats left to do

For initial beta:

Texture and balance the units. adding research for the UN Spacy and Zentradi.

For future:

Transformation scripting, new transformable models for all the valks, re-hodding and animating all transformable units, adding more units, area effect weapon scripting, adding the meltrans, vajira race scripting, mapping, and possibly campaign.

So there is still a bit left.

Not necessarily, there is a lot of testing and balancing that needs to be done before the first beta is released.

Shadow, don't take this as a sign of emergence from inactivity, but a few tips...

* Layers are your friend

* Darken, Lighten and Smudge tools are your friend

* Only shade textures around the edges or on surfaces that do not use rendered lighting. Make pointed areas lighter, and the bases where the polys join darker.

* Textures using the multiply setting are your friend

Hope they are good tips. Had a PM from someone who was interested in helping on the modelling/texturing front who had XP in HW1 so should be pretty decent at HW2.

I am currently studying at University in 3d Animation. Only just started, and we will be using Maya. We'll see where that will leave me in the future, but right now, I'm full up.

Shadow, don't take this as a sign of emergence from inactivity, but a few tips...

* Layers are your friend

* Only shade textures around the edges or on surfaces that do not use rendered lighting. Make pointed areas lighter, and the bases where the polys join darker.

Hope they are good tips. Had a PM from someone who was interested in helping on the modelling/texturing front who had XP in HW1 so should be pretty decent at HW2.

I am currently studying at University in 3d Animation. Only just started, and we will be using Maya. We'll see where that will leave me in the future, but right now, I'm full up.

Oh, and if we got DropBox or something cranking, I'd probably be more likely to contribute small stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I had my main modding computer shipped to me. My OS on my old hdd was corrupted, but I was able to transfer all my files to my external. Just need to reformat the drive and install everything.

Mod wise

I re scripted the attack behavior of the x-9 (now the AIF-9S, I think that is the right designation), it will now randomly do evasive maneuvers now like in the anime. I will prob make a vid of it later.

* Layers are your friend

For now I am trying to make a good UV map, Main problem now is that I am too impatient when unwrapping the models (alot of of the faces overlap). Regarding the actual textures, I am not very good with photoshop and am kinda impatient when placing the textures.

Oh, and if we got DropBox or something cranking, I'd probably be more likely to contribute small stuff.

Is DropBox a collaboration tool? If so I will look into making one.

::Edit::

Ghost Vid

Edited by shadow3393

Yeah, Dropbox is a synchronised folder tool, so that all files can be left in one place.

https://www.getdropbox.com/home

The 9-X looks good.

Texturing is annoying. I start the 3D section of my degree on Monday. If I am able to, I'll see if I can't use some Macross style models... No promises.

For now I am trying to make a good UV map, Main problem now is that I am too impatient when unwrapping the models (alot of of the faces overlap). Regarding the actual textures, I am not very good with photoshop and am kinda impatient when placing the textures.

I guess the easiest way for you then is to separate the mesh by colour.

Try this way should be fast and will give a reasonable result:

-After you finished the model, separate all the mesh that has a diferent colour. will make your job easier later

-Use the automatic tools, that auto generate the UV maps for you, it is important that none of the parts overlap at the UV map.

(usually i do this way i choose to combine all the parts into a single mesh then use the autoUVtool, this way no part will overlap, but be aware that when separating all the pieces if their ends coincide and are open the program won't recognize it as separated anymore)

-Now you have to bake an occlusion map, at lightning i guess... (don't have maya here to check, 2 capacitor from my VGA blew and it died, and they were solid state... now using a notebook)

-Open the occlusion map at photoshop or any other editing program, use a little of gaussian blur to remove edges.

-Create a new layer, use the bucket to paint with the base colour of the model, then ask to multiply at the layer options. (don`t close it yet)

-Now at maya, ask to separate the mesh, then open the UV editor, select all the pieces you want to paint different from the base colour, ask it to export the UV map to a jpg file. (don't use any file format with transparency channel, also export it at the same size as te occlusion map from before).

-now at photoshop at the same file, import the UV map from the above step. Use the wand to select at any empty space, use invert selection (ctrl+shift+i i guess), select the base colour layer and press delete.

Create a new layer with the secondary colour, reselect with the wand at the UV map, press delete.

All the coloured layers are always multiplying the baked occlusion map.

Now with some tweaks shouldn't look so bad.

The bad part of this process is the mess is that the UV map won't be organized at all. But it is way faster, so it is good if you want to do a quick textured model that won't look bad. Did my VF-25 mostly this way since i was always changing the model and couldn't waste time doing an UV map that would have to be redone every time.

Started to do this way at the VF-11, because doing the UVs all nice and organized is @*$@#@.

Try once and post here the results.

BTW: nice videos you posted!

Edited by akt_m

I guess the easiest way for you then is to separate the mesh by colour.

Try this way should be fast and will give a reasonable result:

-After you finished the model, separate all the mesh that has a diferent colour. will make your job easier later

-Use the automatic tools, that auto generate the UV maps for you, it is important that none of the parts overlap at the UV map.

(usually i do this way i choose to combine all the parts into a single mesh then use the autoUVtool, this way no part will overlap, but be aware that when separating all the pieces if their ends coincide and are open the program won't recognize it as separated anymore)

-Now you have to bake an occlusion map, at lightning i guess... (don't have maya here to check, 2 capacitor from my VGA blew and it died, and they were solid state... now using a notebook)

-Open the occlusion map at photoshop or any other editing program, use a little of gaussian blur to remove edges.

-Create a new layer, use the bucket to paint with the base colour of the model, then ask to multiply at the layer options. (don`t close it yet)

-Now at maya, ask to separate the mesh, then open the UV editor, select all the pieces you want to paint different from the base colour, ask it to export the UV map to a jpg file. (don't use any file format with transparency channel, also export it at the same size as te occlusion map from before).

-now at photoshop at the same file, import the UV map from the above step. Use the wand to select at any empty space, use invert selection (ctrl+shift+i i guess), select the base colour layer and press delete.

Create a new layer with the secondary colour, reselect with the wand at the UV map, press delete.

All the coloured layers are always multiplying the baked occlusion map.

Now with some tweaks shouldn't look so bad.

The bad part of this process is the mess is that the UV map won't be organized at all. But it is way faster, so it is good if you want to do a quick textured model that won't look bad. Did my VF-25 mostly this way since i was always changing the model and couldn't waste time doing an UV map that would have to be redone every time.

Started to do this way at the VF-11, because doing the UVs all nice and organized is @*$@#@.

Try once and post here the results.

BTW: nice videos you posted!

I have been using Blender to unwrap uv's, since I did not have Maya on my laptop. I guess I will try your method as soon as I install maya again, still looking for my disc.

I still have to do various scripting, and I want to reanimate some of the vajira units to make them behave more organic.

So many things to do....

Edited by shadow3393

Look what you've done with my beautiful ships! Fantastic!!!

Have you animated the standard battleship's main guns? I believe the ships have an identical weapon system to the Melt Gunboat. Also. I also believe I made the Melt Flagship's hull so it could open up to fire like the Nupetiet Vergnitzs...

Edited by Lestat