What is with Frontier with old crippled people?

RedWolf

Perhaps Mao sustained some injury due to Space War I.

Or maybe she slid backward down the wrong tree and her spine was damaged by a huge pineapple tree sliver :)

As for Birla, who says he's wheelchair bound not by choice? Perhaps he's the 2059 equivalent of cart people, motoring around Folmo's annoying people that actually walk like the cart people do to us nowadays :)

Mao Nome isn't that old since she was only 51 Global went down. So why the wheel chair?

Same thing goes for Bilrer being on wheel chair.

Was Space War 1 that bad that they were crippled?

Uhh, because they weren't lead characters and therefore are vulnerable to actual aging and lasting injury? :lol:

Edited by Ork_dreadnought

I believe she kept Dr. Hasford's (sp?) wheel Chair from Macross 0

Because you can't be the world's foremost protoculture researcher without the wheelchair to show for it. Similar to how you can't rise to senior Zentran commander without bolting a metal skullplate to your face.

As for Birla, who says he's wheelchair bound not by choice? Perhaps he's the 2059 equivalent of cart people, motoring around Folmo's annoying people that actually walk like the cart people do to us nowadays :)

I'm going with that answer. There are a ton of lazy people out there. Old people are the worst offenders. Once you start getting older people offer to lift heavy objects for you. Offer to give you the nicer seat. They get better parking spaces, preferred seating on the bus. Senior Special discounts. After a while they think are entitled to a discount everywhere because of there age. They assume that someone will pick up or get them something. Our society (well many societies) teaches us to respect and take care of the elderly. These old bastards have taken advantage of us. As a side effect of no longer doing simple things like opening a door for themselves their muscles have shriveled, along with other body parts to the point were they are crippled. If only they weren't so quick to use the motorized carts before they actually really needed them. Next time you see a active senior citizen be sure to give them a thumbs up or a man-to-man head nod. When you see a weak one be sure to yell, "You're what's bad for America and you smell like pee."

Oh of course anime seems to be very youth obsessed. When characters age they age bad. Look at Ray for crying out loud. He's suppose be about 28 but looks 50. Mao at 51 is like really 102 in anime years.

Oh of course anime seems to be very youth obsessed. When characters age they age bad. Look at Ray for crying out loud. He's suppose be about 28 but looks 50. Mao at 51 is like really 102 in anime years.

Ray was 28?? damn he looked older than Max and Millia, hahahas typical of anime

anyway, I respect old people I help them however I can, but I absolutely hate the old people that have no disability, but just because they are old they feel they should park on the handicap space, I once parked there cause of a problem my mother had with a fracture eye socket, I had my handicap thingy, my mom got off first and went her way while I was tiding something inside my car and when I got out some old cha-cha passing on her car (which I knew had no disability whatsoever) started cursing me like I was the devil... :wacko: some people..

Thinking about it, in a time where a severely complex nuclear power variable valkyrie can transform in a split second, folding across the galaxy had become second nature, crazy cybertech making uber soldier, colonizing of other planet is a given, building of huge self sustaining fleet that can house million of people that could live a lifetime is common and mass cloning has occurs...

you'd think they come up with a way to fix a spinal injury or some neuropathy atrophied legs, if I were crippled I would had killed myself in the Macross universe a looooooooong time ago

oh yes, let's not forget...valk girl controlling fast pack is also possible

you'd think they come up with a way to fix a spinal injury or some neuropathy atrophied legs, if I were crippled I would had killed myself in the Macross universe a looooooooong time ago

Hey if they can't fix Far/Near sightedness you think they can fix your spine?

Ray was 28?? damn he looked older than Max and Millia, hahahas typical of anime

Maybe Max and Millia are sucking the youth out of all the other characters :lol: , I mean come on Max is in his late fifties in mac7 and he looks like he's under 30.

oh yes, let's not forget...valk girl controlling fast pack is also possible

It could simply be a matter of choice. Mao probably get's more freebies that way. Besides, who knows what she has hidden in that wheelchair - for all we know it actually turns into a EX-Gear.

• 2 weeks later...
I dunno, if I survived the near extinction of the human race (in which 6 billion people were vaporized in a matter of seconds), I'd count myself lucky to only be in a wheel chair. :)

I think that the living would envy the dead.

Taksraven

Mao Nome isn't that old since she was only 51 Global went down. So why the wheel chair?

Same thing goes for Bilrer being on wheel chair.

Was Space War 1 that bad that they were crippled?

Maybe there are problems with long-term exposure to artificial gravity??? :blink: :blink:

Taksraven

Actually there are some problems with long-term exposure to artificial gravity. It has been speculated that someone who lives in space for long time might not be able to return to normal "Earth" gravity.... this has been really one of the questions about our own current space flight programs to distant planets. You can bet that the astronauts in the space station are regularly examined for bone density changes and other issues.

http://www.permanent.com/s-centri.htm

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/1995/gravity-1129.html

That's an interesting observation though. I hadn't realized both Mao and Bilrer were in wheelchairs at all until this thread pointed it out.

In the first epi (not sure if it was deculture or broadcast version), we saw Sheryl and Grace going through an adjustment chamber when they boarded Frontier. I believe they set the gravity to something like .7g. (1g is normal Earth gravity) If you were Mao or Bilrer and were on the older ships, it is possible that environmental controls were not treated the same way and they had spent their early years under less gravity which could make it worse as they got older and adjusted to newer ships.

I don't know enough about the tech spechs of older Macross colony ships so someone please chime in!

Edited by s-girl

Actually there are some problems with long-term exposure to artificial gravity. It has been speculated that someone who lives in space for long time might not be able to return to normal "Earth" gravity.... this has been really one of the questions about our own current space flight programs to distant planets. You can bet that the astronauts in the space station are regularly examined for bone density changes and other issues.

http://www.permanent.com/s-centri.htm

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/1995/gravity-1129.html

That's an interesting observation though. I hadn't realized both Mao and Bilrer were in wheelchairs at all until this thread pointed it out.

In the first epi (not sure if it was deculture or broadcast version), we saw Sheryl and Grace going through an adjustment chamber when they boarded Frontier. I believe they set the gravity to something like .7g. (1g is normal Earth gravity) If you were Mao or Bilrer and were on the older ships, it is possible that environmental controls were not treated the same way and they had spent their early years under less gravity which could make it worse as they got older and adjusted to newer ships.

I don't know enough about the tech spechs of older Macross colony ships so someone please chime in!

Thing is, even the original Macross Class SDF-1 had gravity generators capable of 1G. I don't think it was micro-gravitational injury. More likely an injury from earlier on that put her in a wheelchair. As for Bilrer, it's probably by choice. I don't think he's sustained any injury. Also, I don't think Zentraedi are as easily injured by microgravity and the like.

If only they weren't so quick to use the motorized carts before they actually really needed them. Next time you see a active senior citizen be sure to give them a thumbs up or a man-to-man head nod. When you see a weak one be sure to yell, "You're what's bad for America and you smell like pee."

And now I have something new for my sig. ^_^