Valkyrie addict

Did your 1/60 VF-1S V2.0 right shoulder self detruct of attempting to  

46 members have voted

1. 1. is it cracked? broken?

• Yes, it's broken, I got Yamatoed once again
    • Yes, but it's just cracked, I got Semi-yamatoed
    • No, you guys can't handle things right, read the manual
    • I don't care, what grown up still plays with toys, get a girlfriend
  2. 2. When did you notice the crack, break?

• it came like that
    • after a few transformation
    • after a lot of transformations
    • I don't care, I'm Kawamori the troll, Sheryl chooses Ranka and you will never know what happened to Megaroad-01, NEVER
  3. 3. Did it happen before you loose the screw of the shoulder releasing tension

• Yes
    • No
    • What screw are you taking about

Ok, since we're getting a lot of cracking/breaking of the right shoulder from the Yamato 1/60 VF-1S V2.0, and the poll from that other thread is not accurate about anymore, new poll here

- Is your v2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect? thread original thread about QC when it was initially released

Results from that poll so far

74% perfect

14% broken

25% not broken or perfect but with complaint

- Don't know what we're talking about and don't want to go over 26+ pages CLICK ME

- Analysis of a probable reason why the hinge breaks HERE **make sure to read Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 posts too**

- About loosening the screw of the right shoulder Post #469

now, let the voting begin...let's keep it civil, Graham has already contacted and send pictures to Yamato and is awaiting their reply

Edited by Valkyrie addict

oh crap, my mistake, I didn't loosen the screw before my hinge broke... don't count that one, hehehe sorry

Hi, can you fix your poll to a more objective one?

Like broken and unbroken?

I feel that we can get a better answer for Yamato if the entries are more straightforward than subjective.

Mine arrived with a broken hinge, and even though I didn't have to pay for mine, I'm extremely unhappy about it.

Thanks.

Edited by mr.chogokin

I'm quite crestfallen with this new development regarding the QC of the v.2 Valkyries. I was looking forward to purchasing one but after noting the repeated failure of the right shoulder joints, I might buy a tascam in lieu of the VF-1S I've been eyeing.

hmmm...well, the VF-1A Hikki hasn't reported any problem with the shoulder, we assume the upcoming VF-1J and VF-1S Hikki will come without the defect, I never really got a straight answer but I *think* the stand alone VF-1S Roy with no FP right shoulder isn't breaking either...

and sorry, I can't fix the pole, I don't know if a mod can, but I made it like that since we would rather know information on how it broke/crack

hmmm...well, the VF-1A Hikki hasn't reported any problem with the shoulder, we assume the upcoming VF-1J and VF-1S Hikki will come without the defect, I never really got a straight answer but I *think* the stand alone VF-1S Roy with no FP right shoulder isn't breaking either...

and sorry, I can't fix the pole, I don't know if a mod can, but I made it like that since we would rather know information on how it broke/crack

Well, I did manage to find one retailer online that still has stock of the VF-1S strike version here in the U.S, but I'd remiss to purchase it.

http://www.animewild.com/product_info.php?products_id=300179

oh crap, my mistake, I didn't loosen the screw before my hinge broke... don't count that one, hehehe sorry

Actually, it should still count. You shouldn't have to make adjustments to a brand new toy in order for it to work correctly without breaking. I'm glad Yamato isn't making the VF-25....

true, but we need to know if by loosening the tightness of shoulder if the hinge can still hold up...hmm...according to the poll so far there isn't any difference by loosening the screw

That's because you didn't specify which screw. One guy that had a breakage for his replacement hinge thought we were talking about the screw in the back that lets the hinge pivot sideways.

Actually, it should still count. You shouldn't have to make adjustments to a brand new toy in order for it to work correctly without breaking. I'm glad Yamato isn't making the VF-25....

Exactly. There are reasons behind ugly, but no excuse for broke.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Hmmm i wasn't following the thread about breaking shoulders, but I DID warn people about that part and its likelihood to break. I'm not sure if anything can be done to alleviate the problem since its more of a design problem but i guess it just means you have to be very careful when moving the hands. I'm leaving Roy in battroid mode and not touching him for now. :(

AAARRRRGGGGHHH Just noticed a crack on my 1S after transforming him and I'm already being very careful :angry:

I'ved already loosen the shoulders before this so this was soooo dissapointing :(

Just want to say I was one of those who thought those who broke the shoulder didn't handle it right. Oh boy was I wrong.

Just a friendly reminder it can happen to any one.

Edited by len_d69

Just fixed it. Just applied super glue onto the crack and the surrounding areas. I went on to loosen the screws inside as well to make it easier to swing the shoulders over the stopper just in case. This makes it a little floppy but the stopper holds the shoulder in place just nicely in battroid.

IMG_1223.jpg

untitled.jpg

Edited by len_d69

To be honest though, my problem (cracking) is more cosmetic than functional. It doesn't impair functionality as it's a crack and not a total break (with parts falling off), and it doesn't actually compromise the shoulder at all since the lower joint is holding fast.

Cracking might be a good thing, since it relieves stress on the joint. Layering superglue that fixed the problem, but I really should have gone with putty or even epoxy. Still, underengineering by Yamato there, so it should be addressed.. I think, for one, the pin used is just slightly too big and placed undue stress on the part.

I've also went and loosen the screws on the swing arm, shoulders, biceps and lower arm. I think overall the VF-1S had been overly tightened, and any new owner can benefit from just loosening the screws on the whole arm assembly by an eighth of a turn.

Chalk mine up to going into cold storage. I didnt do any screw loosening or the like. Came perfectly fine in the box. Just noticed after this last transformation that BOTH arms are jacked. The right bottom side of the shoulder sheared off (but is still attached via the top side). And the left side has a nice crack in it. I'll probably try to get replacement parts, but for the time being, I'm boxing it back up and leaving it that way. =/

• 2 weeks later...

Well now I am officially scared witless to open my VF-1S... especially since I have TWO darn boxes coming in...

The only time I ever got "yamatoed" was with my VF-0A w/Ghost - but I just got another one, and while it's also somewhat flimsy, it at least doesn't break at the slightest touch...

plus - I watched the review of the VF-1S 1/60 on collection DX, and it does indeed look like a solid piece of work...

besides - how could the V2 have such bad QC? The 1/48 has no problems. I have like 6 different 1/48s and none of them have any QC issues :(

so sad :(

Bring on the Bandai VF-25.

and I hope that there's no QC issues with those :(

Pete

I don't think it's a QC issue, but a design issue.

Well, the QC guy should transform the valkyrie like 100 times a day and uncover such "design issues."

I mean - we're not talking about having the Valkyrie for a year and suddenly having it crack and then saying "aw, but my MP Prime has been around for 4 years and is fine" - we're talking about people transforming it twice and then seeing that it breaks :(

If this is a design flaw - the QC people should have discovered it.

Especially given the fact that the 1/48s are indeed - to my mind - perfect. I mean - has anybody ever had any problem with any of those?

I really want Yamato to suceed because I think they make great stuff; but it just is painful to constantly see these "it broke" threads :( even though the overwhelming majority of mine don't break.... but still :(

Pete

far as I know the only problem with the 1/48 were the first releases a long time ago with the breaking BP8 part when misstranforming it...after it, perfect

I say it's a design flaw, the QC guy probably transforms it enough stressing the piece (without his knowledge) and it finally arrives to our hands the life expectancy of the part has been drastically shorten

I want to know if any VF-1A with the supposed fix has reported any breaking...and if the stand alone VF-1S has this fix also...

Edited by Valkyrie addict