Macross F Series to Movie

Roy Focker

I vote for Klan to get the cut.

A retelling a la DYRL would be the best option. I don't see how they could continue the story, but it would be interesting nonetheless, I mean, they managed to make a story about space whales with Basara so anything is possible. However, it is very much a possibility that we will get an oversized clip show a la MacPlus. I really hope they don't go that route.

The Aquarion movie wasn't too bad, with both an alternate-telling and tie-up to the original, AND "bonus" episode a la Galaxy is Calling Me. In fact, Aquarion is like all three in one in that respect.

Like Macross 7's movie, it'll be just another episode type story. Nothing epic. You aren't going to see anything further or any conclusions. Kawamori does not like tying loose ends. All Macross stories have ended with ambiguous endings that are not definite endings. The movie will be something like 'Knocking on Heaven's Door' IE: A story set before the end of the series. Mark my words.

Edited by ComicKaze

Like Macross 7's movie, it'll be just another episode type story. Nothing epic. You aren't going to see anything further or any conclusions. Kawamori does not like tying loose ends. All Macross stories have ended with ambiguous endings that are not definite endings. The movie will be something like 'Knocking on Heaven's Door' IE: A story set before the end of the series. Mark my words.

Please not like Knocking on Heaven's Door cause that wil mean the story takes part prior to the finale in the TV series. :(

But I won't be surprised if it was "The Galaxy Is Calling Me" type of movie. Keep me surprised, Kawamori.

Actually, at this point, considering the high-ish level of simitry with the original series, since episode 25 pretty much ended with the end battle crux (comparatively ep 27 of Macross), the movie could likely cover the post war aftermath, colonization, etc.

Please not like Knocking on Heaven's Door cause that wil mean the story takes part prior to the finale in the TV series. :(

But I won't be surprised if it was "The Galaxy Is Calling Me" type of movie. Keep me surprised, Kawamori.

But...but..."The Galaxy Is Calling Me" was set prior to the finale of Macross 7...

Actually, at this point, considering the high-ish level of simitry with the original series, since episode 25 pretty much ended with the end battle crux (comparatively ep 27 of Macross), the movie could likely cover the post war aftermath, colonization, etc.

I'd love to see this as well. We'd have Leon and Grace hijacking a ship and ramming it into Island 1.

Alto, Sheryl, and Ranka are the same age range as Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay were in SDF Macross. We can still get a decision in the movie. I won't put bets on it though.

Well... Hikaru and friends were like 3-4 years older by the original series end...

Perhaps the movie will be set some years in the future... And will involve more drama... :mellow:

It could also depend on the release date, i think. if it's very soon, then it's just most likely a re-telling; using similar scenes with some kick-ass additions.

but if it's a long time away, then anything goes.

me, i would like an aftermath movie. much like the SW-1 aftermath episodes in SDFM. it could expound on how the humans and vajra co-exist on the planet. but i wouldn't mind if it's something else. i'm just happy that there will be a movie - whatever it will be. :)

The problem I see with this is that a movie always has to be capable of being a standalone product as well. When you make a movie, you go into it with the expectation that yes, your loyal fans who sat through 25 episodes are almost certain to want to watch it, but you also have an audience that might have heard about this Macross Frontier thing, but doesn't want to sit down to watch 8-10 hours of episodes for context first. You don't have to rehash the whole story, but you can't make something that only followers of the TV series would be interested in, either.

The SDFM continuation worked because it was a continuation. You were already following along with the TV series, you just got more of it. A movie, especially one that goes to theaters rather than directly to video, doesn't have that luxury.

So I don't think it can take the same approach, where things almost seemed to wind down for 10 episodes, things slowly resolving themselves, before picking up again in the final episode. Nobody (well, nobody sane) is going to make a movie where the only thing that happens is that loose ends from the TV series are wrapped up.

I do agree that a post-war, colonization scenario is plausible, though (although only one of many possible plots). It might be a lot like those Macross 7 episodes where they discovered and explored Protoculture ruins. There are still a lot of mysteries left on the Vajra planet, now that the Frontier fleet is no longer on a journey, but has actually arrived somewhere.

Edited by DeeBot

The problem I see with this is that a movie always has to be capable of being a standalone product as well. When you make a movie, you go into it with the expectation that yes, your loyal fans who sat through 25 episodes are almost certain to want to watch it, but you also have an audience that might have heard about this Macross Frontier thing, but doesn't want to sit down to watch 8-10 hours of episodes for context first. You don't have to rehash the whole story, but you can't make something that only followers of the TV series would be interested in, either.

The SDFM continuation worked because it was a continuation. You were already following along with the TV series, you just got more of it. A movie, especially one that goes to theaters rather than directly to video, doesn't have that luxury.

So I don't think it can take the same approach, where things almost seemed to wind down for 10 episodes, things slowly resolving themselves, before picking up again in the final episode. Nobody (well, nobody sane) is going to make a movie where the only thing that happens is that loose ends from the TV series are wrapped up.

I do agree that a post-war, colonization scenario is plausible, though (although only one of many possible plots). It might be a lot like those Macross 7 episodes where they discovered and explored Protoculture ruins. There are still a lot of mysteries left on the Vajra planet, now that the Frontier fleet is no longer on a journey, but has actually arrived somewhere.

There are ways around that...they're not always pleasant, though. The End of Evangelion and Ideon: Be Invoked are two I can think of off the top of my head that required viewers to have seen the shows in order to "get." The Goshogun movie was kinda/sorta like that, too.

Or there's something like the currently-hotly-debated-on-Macrossworld Char's Counterattack, which also demanded at least SOME familiarity with Gundam.

With enough ingenuity, they could make a continuation that pleases fans of the show while bringing in a new crowd, too. A lot depends, I think, on whether the Macross Frontier will go back to space. And if it does, would Ranka go with it, or stay on the Vajra panet?

I want....

Flashback style music video movie! Take that last battle, run all the songs played/sung to full length (or at least 1:30-2:00 each), with new combat footages (and yeah, some drama or what not. Leon making a last attempt to escape, more information on what's going on at Galaxy side of the battle, etc etc)...

I can dream. Hell, if they just make something like that and release it as OVA I'll buy it.

If SK does go the DYRL route...I hope we have a re-imagining of the battles in Episode 7, 14 & 25. That would be totall awesome. :D

If the movie consist only of epi. 7, 14 and 25 with more mecha pron added, I'll take it.

BTW, what happen to the All that VF special feature?

BTW, what happen to the All that VF special feature?

Already out for a couple of months.

Just search the usual places. 2 Versions: Macross Frontier version and Macross Zero version. They are nice, but very short, like 2 minutes or less each.

Graham

How much better can Satelite make the Macross mecha look with a movie budget?

DYRL was so amazing because the differences were STRIKING. I just don't think they can reproduce that feeling with CGI.

DYRL was so amazing because the differences were STRIKING. I just don't think they can reproduce that feeling with CGI.

I was thinking the same thing. The CGI mecha looks slick but I can't see how they could make THAT big a difference between the TV series and the movie; although Kawamori probably wouldn't really care anyway. I wonder if he could get

Mikimoto to do the character re-designs for the movie? ^_^

I was thinking the same thing. The CGI mecha looks slick but I can't see how they could make THAT big a difference between the TV series and the movie; although Kawamori probably wouldn't really care anyway. I wonder if he could get

Mikimoto to do the character re-designs for the movie? ^_^

That would be awesome.

Well... Aquarion was very impressive, yet the OAVs managed to push it one step further. There is always room for improvement, It would cut on the repeated animations, and definitly improve on the 2D aspects.

-Sergorn

Already out for a couple of months.

Just search the usual places. 2 Versions: Macross Frontier version and Macross Zero version. They are nice, but very short, like 2 minutes or less each.

Graham

Are we're gonna see a new one? I think the Frontier and Zero are done since Satelight already have the CGI model of the valks, I wonder if they will ever make another All that VF with other valk like VF-4 or VF-11.

Back on topic, I was thinking how about Macross F:Movie is made just like School Days, with the "nice boat" ending?

(runs)