Macross F Series to Movie

Roy Focker

In the last few days two reliable sources have hinted / straight out said there will be two Frontier Movies. Neither of the two sources have said if the movies will be DYRL type re-tellings or a continuation. There has been no official announcement, but it looks like this bit of news is true.

Edited by Save

In the last few days two reliable sources have hinted / straight out said there will be two Frontier Movies. Neither of the two sources have said if the movies will be DYRL type re-tellings or a continuation. There has been no official announcement, but it looks like this bit of news is true.

As the internet kids are fond of saying these days: sauce plz? (amidoingitrite)

Still, if it really is two movies, then that would be better, one recap ala DYRL and one a real continuation. Off course, unless they decide to go the Eva route and have the 2nd movie be a new ending.

Edited by d3v

Two Frontier movies? But didn't Kawamori already stated that the Movie will be a DYRL re-telling of Frontier?

Two Frontier movies? But didn't Kawamori already stated that the Movie will be a DYRL re-telling of Frontier?

From the translated interview, he said something to the effect of following the same guidelines as DYRL, translating the Macross (Frontier) experience to the big screen.

With all due respect to DYRL - I don't want a DYRL style film.

I see no point in transitioning the series to film and cutting. In this day an age, the Cinema is just a quick stop for movies while they get put on DVD anyways...

Besides; honestly- while I understand and appreciate the "DYRL is a movie documentary about SDF M" - I would prefer to keep Frontier as is. I have always had trouble watching DYRL precisely because I keep going "that's not the way it was!"...

Evangelon could do what it did because the ending to the series was so abstract that it just lends itself to interpretation...

But Frontier doesn't lend itself to DYRLation...

But...we'll see...

Not as excited about movies as I am about series...

Pete

With all due respect to DYRL - I don't want a DYRL style film.

I see no point in transitioning the series to film and cutting. In this day an age, the Cinema is just a quick stop for movies while they get put on DVD anyways...

Besides; honestly- while I understand and appreciate the "DYRL is a movie documentary about SDF M" - I would prefer to keep Frontier as is. I have always had trouble watching DYRL precisely because I keep going "that's not the way it was!"...

Evangelon could do what it did because the ending to the series was so abstract that it just lends itself to interpretation...

But Frontier doesn't lend itself to DYRLation...

But...we'll see...

Not as excited about movies as I am about series...

Pete

With all due respect, I think you're missing the big point...if the movie is good, fun, interesting, and satisfying, who cares about anything else? ^_^

(This applies to both DYRL and the upcoming F movie.)

With all due respect, I think you're missing the big point...if the movie is good, fun, interesting, and satisfying, who cares about anything else? ^_^

(This applies to both DYRL and the upcoming F movie.)

I have to agree on this point. I recently rewatched DYRL after rewatching SDFM, and it might be a retelling with jarring differences, but it is interesting viewing and gorgeous to watch: I wouldn't complain about Frontier getting such treatment and I might like it better than an inconsequential sidestory like some other series have followed up with. A good followup story, now that would be ideal. Mostly I just hope it isn't a condensed clip show with little new or at least reworked material.

a DYRL style Frontier movie... call me crazy, but DYRL the story itself doesn't make much sense with the cramming the original story in a 90+ minute film, Frontier has sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oo many things going on that the movie would had to be something like 3 hours long to cram so much stuff in there so that it will make partial sense... if they do a DYRL style movie, it will look more like a clipshow with a commentator explaining everything that's going on

they can continue the story... Grace can still come back and we could get a resolution to the whole galaxy cyborg thing

Well at this point, we don't really know for sure except for one quote from Kawamori stating that he'd do it like DYRL in the sense that he would be bringing the Frontier experience to the big screen (never stating whether or not it would be a DYRL style retelling).

What I want in the movie is more Battle Frontier/Galaxy action, also dogfight between Alto and Brera with just like Isamu-Guld dogfight.

BTW, will we get a shower scene in the movie? :huh:

What I want in the movie is more Battle Frontier/Galaxy action, also dogfight between Alto and Brera with just like Isamu-Guld dogfight.

BTW, will we get a shower scene in the movie? :huh:

Yes, unfortunately when the camera pans up to the face, you realized that it's Alto. :ph34r:

I liked the character designs of Frontier, although it took some warming up to. They certainly weren't as jarringly different as those of Macross Plus.

I'll bet that for the movie we'll see DYRL nods in the valkyrie color schemes. Alto's remaining the same, possibly Ozma's (or it'll switch to white/yellow/black), but Michel and Lucca will get DYRL style color schemes. White/blue/black for Michel, and WHite/green/black for Lucca.

I think the modern success of MF would not be possible without the current designs. As is, I thought they were kind of a nice nod to the currently popular steroetypes and also what I call the more old-fashioned proportions used in older anime. (If you look at other shows airing in the last 3-4 years, there's a disturbing lack of style and distinction... to the point that characters are exchangeable.)

When people who don't know the show see doodles from there, they really immediately grasp the personalities based on current anime sensibilities because it is rooted in modern sensibilities. At the same time it's not so generic like the last two GUndam properties which went so far to reach to the younger audience that everyone has big eyes and no mouth.

(I also think the designer did a great job in separating out who is beautiful, cute, pure, etc. That's not something other animes tend to care much about, but this one I felt was really good about making characters distinct on their visual presentaiton and not just what they did in the show.)

As much as I like Mikimoto's aesthetic, I don't know that the infusion of new fans would have happened with his stylizations.

Edited by s-girl

I think the modern success of MF would not be possible without the current designs. As is, I thought they were kind of a nice nod to the currently popular steroetypes and also what I call the more old-fashioned proportions used in older anime. (If you look at other shows airing in the last 3-4 years, there's a disturbing lack of style and distinction... to the point that characters are exchangeable.)

When people who don't know the show see doodles from there, they really immediately grasp the personalities based on current anime sensibilities because it is rooted in modern sensibilities. At the same time it's not so generic like the last two GUndam properties which went so far to reach to the younger audience that everyone has big eyes and no mouth.

(I also think the designer did a great job in separating out who is beautiful, cute, pure, etc. That's not something other animes tend to care much about, but this one I felt was really good about making characters distinct on their visual presentaiton and not just what they did in the show.)

As much as I like Mikimoto's aesthetic, I don't know that the infusion of new fans would have happened with his stylizations.

Besides, without input from character designer Risa Ebata, we wouldn't have Sheryl Nome as we know her today, seeing as (if I recall correctly from the interview) it was her prodding which eventually convinced Kawamori to push through and further develop Sheryl's character.

I think typically what happens with "that kind of character" these days is she's a secondary "older" character that serves only as a plot device. One thing that I really respect Kawamori for is that all characters got more development than I think they might have with a similar length series done by some other folks. (THis is style why I am so absurdly annoyed with SEED to this day.)

In general, I feel like this show still did a good job being an ensemble show. Maybe not as successful as Bones' Eureka 7, but darn close.

And that said, I hope the movie is a NICE LONG MOVIE and that maybe some of the footage we're seeing done is also being redone because they want to enhance the awesomeness of any clips that they may reuse and incorporate into the film.

Sorry if this has been asked or talked about already, I wonder if the character designs (not just mecha) will change at all. Like how Misa was redisgned, from SDFM to DYRL

Chris