Macross F Series to Movie

Roy Focker

A Macross Frontier movie coming means two things. Either a bonus longer episode or a condensed re-telling of the series. If it is a condensed version what story elements or complete episodes would you omit from the movie.

Michael & Kuran Kuran are gone. They would still make an one line appearance but there story is too secondary compared to Alto, Sheryl and Ranka. Same goes goes Alto and his family.

Leon's coup. He was such an obvious villain but was too minor compared to Grace. They could done an episode or 2 with the NUNs chasing down the SMS but his defeat was rather quick with no conflict.

If it's a condensed re-telling, I'd rather have them do two or three movies instead of one. Or else rework the whole story á la DYRL or the Escaflowne movie.

But if it is a compilation movie, and if it does use footage from the TV show, and if it is confined to one film (and that's a lot of "if"s)...I think they should cut most of the early episodes and pick up the story after they leave Gallia IV. I'm not sure if it would work, but I think it's better than trying to fit the whole show into ninety minutes or two hours.

If its a retelling, it will go down the route of DYRL?. Snip off all development for all characters and rely on tv series for their background development. Use them as plot devices that die for dramatic effect. By the time the movie starts, Frontier fleet is already a veteran against the Vajra attacks when they discover that their reaction missiles have little effect. Gallia 4 will be on it. Hydra arc won't be. Michel and Klan are cameos and might die. Epic final battle with more mecha pr0n.

Seriously, I hope it's not a clip show. That would be so disappointing (though Macross Plus the movie is better than the OVAs in some ways). A DYRL-style reimagining would be okay, I suppose (and clutter up and confuse the timeline more) but I'd prefer an actual continuation of the current show. But that seems to not be trendy in anime. :sigh: Kawamori, especially, loves these retellings. Look at DYRL, Escaflowne, Aquarion...

Edited by crasis

I think is funny how people dwell over and over again about the love triangle...

WHO Cares !!

Is true, Macross is a space opera based on love, emotions and music , whatever. But has anyone realized that M Frotier was underlying much more than that? About surviving the possible extinction of the human race. Seems that very few are omitting the bigger picture... The uncaring air Alto had for the 2 butterflies seems to have kept them in the edge enough to at least care for something. He might have been playing them both but his purpose might have been a different agenda which proved succesfull in the end...

Who cares if the love birds turn they day into a "menage a' Trois..?" to some extent seems irrelevant. Give it up...let them be...

The K-mory God already spoke...

If they go the DYRL route, it'll be a retelling as a movie in the Macross universe. :lol:

I'm hoping for a continuing story. We never saw the Galaxy city section get destroyed, and we don't know how much of Galaxy's fleet was actually destroyed at the Vajra planet. Who were the rest of Galaxy anonymous? Bilrer was hoping to see Minmay, so what was he hoping for? Was it to see some idols singing the fleet to victory like Minmay, or was he expecting something else via the fold quartz, like being able to communicate to another galaxy where the Megaroad may have been transported to?

The love triangle isn't exactly solved, although I feel that Alto sees Ranka as like a little sister to mentor and protect, while he sees Sheryl as the love interest. I'm not saying that's the way it is, but that's how it looks to me. If it doesn't get solved without a doubt, I can still live with it the way it's ended.

Will we see new mecha? VF-24? Some VF-19s? Another fleet? Any cameos from previous Macross series? How about more links to solve what happened to Sara and Shin from Macross Zero? Did Mao and Ranshe die when the 177th Research Fleet get destroyed, or are they on the Galaxy fleet now?

yeah the only way I could stomach a retelling is if its in the vein of DYRL like others have mentioned.

still I dont want that I NEED them to just do a continuiation of some sort. Finish up the triangle and maybe have them go after whats left of Galaxy (or I guess maybe Galaxy could come for them on their new planet) or just something to do with Bilrer and his minmay obsession lol

yeah the only way I could stomach a retelling is if its in the vein of DYRL like others have mentioned.

still I dont want that I NEED them to just do a continuiation of some sort. Finish up the triangle and maybe have them go after whats left of Galaxy (or I guess maybe Galaxy could come for them on their new planet) or just something to do with Bilrer and his minmay obsession lol

You may need a continuation, but you might not get it.

Just sayin'.

I think is funny how people dwell over and over again about the love triangle...

WHO Cares !!

Is true, Macross is a space opera based on love, emotions and music , whatever. But has anyone realized that M Frotier was underlying much more than that? About surviving the possible extinction of the human race. Seems that very few are omitting the bigger picture... The uncaring air Alto had for the 2 butterflies seems to have kept them in the edge enough to at least care for something. He might have been playing them both but his purpose might have been a different agenda which proved succesfull in the end...

Who cares if the love birds turn they day into a "menage a' Trois..?" to some extent seems irrelevant. Give it up...let them be...

Then why even watch Macross then? The love triangle is a major plot element in the series. One could easily say, "who cares of the Frontier fleet gets wiped out". There are plenty of other fleets in the Galaxy to carry on the human race.

WHO Cares !!

A lot of people care. How could one not care?! Frontier essentially revolves around Alto, Sheyrl, and Ranka. I don't see how anyone could watch a show and not care what happens with it's main characters. Sure, there's a bigger picture to be seen...but when hasn't there been a bigger picture? Just because a lot of us want the triangle resolved DOESN'T mean we're ignoring or forgetting everything else that happened in Frontier. When one gets emotionally attached and invovled with a show, it's hard not to get attached to the characters and want answers. At least that's how it is for me....

WHO Cares !!

Quite agree, people are getting too worked up about this. These three characters are some of the youngest leads to ever feature in a macross series and I think it is pointless to get too worried about what teenagers decide.

I was happy enough to see Ozma and Cathy get back together.

Taksraven

Quite agree, people are getting too worked up about this. These three characters are some of the youngest leads to ever feature in a macross series and I think it is pointless to get too worried about what teenagers decide.

Good point. It's like people getting annoyed that Mylene didn't make a choice, but c'mon! She was FIFTEEN at the end of the show, and sixteen in D7...most people don't know who they want to spend the rest of their lives with when they're sixteen.

Or seventeen (like Sheryl) for that matter.

Now if the movie jumps ahead to when Alto, Ranka, and Sheryl are in their mid-twenties, THEN we'll have something...

I can't see them doing a retelling of the story because the series is so new and fresh in people's minds. Also all the money for the production would be wasted if they have to start from scratch. Maybe a slight retcon I can accept but the feature should be a continuation.

You may need a continuation, but you might not get it.

Just sayin'.

I hear you trust me. I'm sure we'll get some condensed deal with a little extra footage, maybe a bit more eye candy and then a big FU style ending with zero resolution lol B))

I hope for a continuation.

maybe a few months or years from the last ep. And Alto is now in a relation with some other guy/girl just to piss off the fans and end the 'shipping wars. that would be so funny... :lol::p

He'll be with Bobby! :lol:

I'd certainly welcome a remigination ala DYRL/Escaflowne/Aquation (even if I'm not too fond of Escaflowne's movie, it was interesting).

I'd definitly enjoy some sort of continuation... but something beter than Dynamite 7. Please.

A compilation movie. Meh. That'd actually be disspointing on Kawamori's part.....Yeah you might consider Macross Plus a compilation Movie, but we know that it was actually made to create a version closer to original script and vision of the story... which is not quite the same thing. Of course it might still be fun.. but there is so much that could be done with Frontier that'd it's be underwhelming.

And for some reason I'm just really dreading a compilation movie here :( (But well I guess the success of Frontier to they point they DO a movie might leads to another series soon... or not considering the timeframe between 7 and Frontier :/)

-Sergorn

I would like to see a continuation of the story but also incorporate elements to tie in all of the macross universe into one cohesive epiphany. Not a dumbed down lecture explaining everything from protoculture to Vajra but rather an inspired and creative movie to reveal all the elements as spools of magical yarn become an elaborately woven tapestry.

I care. When it is resolved, the shipping wars would end. I think :p

*snicker*

You must be new to this shipping thing. Once it's resolved, the shipping wars only get worse. :lol:

Official Couple (tvtropes.org)

One True Pairing (tvtropes.org)

I can't see them doing a retelling of the story because the series is so new and fresh in people's minds. Also all the money for the production would be wasted if they have to start from scratch. Maybe a slight retcon I can accept but the feature should be a continuation.

Well, a clip movie might fit the bill here, then. I agree that it's too new to do a remake already, but there's two ways I read the movie news: Either they want to do another story in the Frontier time frame (which is what I'm sure we're all hoping for), or they're doing a theatrical version of the TV series in order to get even more exposure (and increase the return on investment for all that expensive CGI, of course ;)). I'd say it's about 60-40 at this point.

Edited by DeeBot

Well... Like somebody said in the Final Episode thread... Leon isn't dead... and Grace already cheated death before... twice at least...

Also the Galaxy main island is still missing... I believe those are issues that may be developed further for the future movie...

Sequel all the way!!!! :lol:

(Man... whoever started this thread should include a poll to choose if the movie will be a sequel, a remake/re-telling like DYRL or a resume of the TV series). ^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I was happy enough to see Ozma and Cathy get back together.

Taksraven

Why is age a problem in "resolving the triangle"? No one here expects them to marry (heck in anime it might), but teenagers around 16-17 tend to fall in love and become couples you know ;). I for one care, just because its something they spent most of the series on developping then let go in the end. It feels like the past 25 episodes didnt have any use (and yes ofc they did, but i'm talking about the love prespective).

To me the feeling that a show gives me is the most important, and while I love Frontier, the lack of closure in one of its biggest plot points gives me a verry dissatisfied feeling. And don't try to talk me out of it or tell like minded people that we're just fanboys or something, cause this is just our oppinions on the matter.

I hope they resolve the triangle. To me it's the only thing that Frontier's ending was short of closure.

Edited by whispo

Good point. It's like people getting annoyed that Mylene didn't make a choice, but c'mon! She was FIFTEEN at the end of the show, and sixteen in D7...most people don't know who they want to spend the rest of their lives with when they're sixteen.

Or seventeen (like Sheryl) for that matter.

Now if the movie jumps ahead to when Alto, Ranka, and Sheryl are in their mid-twenties, THEN we'll have something...

Thank you. This is a great point that I was wondering about during the course of the show. Obviously, when we're dealing with life or death in the cold hard vacuum of space, things can get a little extreme, but we're still talking about high school students. It's entirely possible that Ranka is experiencing her first case of high school romance, which, realistically is pretty intense but not necessarily the most nuanced or well-suited of loves. By the same token, I suspect that Alto doesn't have too much experience with women... based on how frakking inexperienced he is with women. For years he's probably been teased and emasculated for his feminine appearance and playing women in theatre, and now, he's just old enough to start growing a little into his masculinity. And he's saving lives and being a cool flyboy, and suddenly girls are into him. His awkardness makes sense, but whether he has the judgement to RESOLVE a love triangle, I'm not so sure. And then there's Sheryl. In a way she seems the most world-wary and street smart of the three, but she also wears a healthy dose of "I know everything because I'm a star, I'm THE Sheryl" as compensation for the fact that she too is a kid caught in a world way bigger than her, with a scrappy past and uncertain future to boot. Generally, when teenage pop-idols get married or even wind up in serious relationships, the world braces for the impending trainwreck. This is not a formula for resolution.

Beyond all that, the cold, hard truth is that love triangles tend NOT to have nice neat resolutions. I liked the way they played it in SDF:M, because you had a childish relationship sort of peter out to be replaced by a slightly (slightly) more mature relationship, which is realistic. By the same token, I can see these highschoolers getting involved in some pretty messy stuff. I'd rather not see Alto sorta endlessly waffle -- I suspect that Sheryl would eventually tire of that, regardless of the matter of pride. Ranka seems to have grown some, but she might very well hang around, unappreciated, hoping, waiting for a chance, which would probably make her less attractive to Alto, if he was paying attention. That spineless one with no self-respect? That's never the one you want. Realistically, Sheryl and Alto defintely have STARTED something, but the conditions were far different at the time. Alto will definitely be awkward about it. I can see them dating for a while before it sorta ends in either big time melodrama, or just runs its course. Would Alto then move on to Ranka (who by that time may mature a little?) or are there other fish in the sea? Or, by some miracle would any of these highschool sweethearts wind up staying together forever? I dunno.

I absolutely would prefer a sequel to MF. And I would like to see Alto stop running away from these girls, but he doesn't need to make an ultimate decision or anything. The women of MF are entirely capable of walking away from a less than ideal situation where two women, who could be friends, are going to be constant rivals. At the same time, introduction of a new boy-toy would feel like something of a cop-out. And messy cheating scenarios feels a little too ugly for a high school mecha musical dramedy. So, all that said (ALL that) I have no idea what I'm going on about any more. Just that, a lot of the resolutions of the love triangle may not be in the best interest of the characters. Let 'em take their time, but please, also let them make some decisions of some kind.

I don't want the movie to be a retelling, or clip show or a condensed TV series. I want an End Of Evangelion like movie which will tie all loose end (Sheryl-Alto-Ranka conclusion) and explanation on some plot holes, I want the hippo cows back.

Edited by Morpheus

Well, a clip movie might fit the bill here, then. I agree that it's too new to do a remake already, but there's two ways I read the movie news: Either they want to do another story in the Frontier time frame (which is what I'm sure we're all hoping for), or they're doing a theatrical version of the TV series in order to get even more exposure (and increase the return on investment for all that expensive CGI, of course ;)). I'd say it's about 60-40 at this point.

Aside from a clip movie or a continuation of the series. they could possibly do a side story 8th MS Team style with grunt pilots of the VF-171 with perhaps Machida & Diamond Force & even Battle Frontier included? OR maybe 8th MS Team style with other pilots aboard the Macross Quarter.

So, I believe the question now is, will the movie either be a retelling (Do You Remember Deculture) or a sequel (The Galaxy is Deculturing Me)?

:lol:

I really ROFL-ed at the possibility of such a title: Macross Frontier: The Galaxy is Deculturing Me :D

Edited by grss1982