Best Macross animated production (1982-2008)

Nexx Stalker

Best Macross animated production (1982-2008)  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favourite

• SDF Macross
    • Macross the Movie - Do You Remember Love?
    • Macross Flashback 2012
    • Macross II
    • Macross Plus (OVA)
    • Macross Plus Movie Edition
    • Macross 7
    • Macross 7 Encore
    • Macross 7 Dynamite
    • Macross 7 The Movie - The Galaxy is Calling Me
    • Macross 0
    • Macross Frontier

Since we are talking about animation production chose DYRL. At its time the animation was amazing. It still even is comparable to some animated shows now. Zero was really good, but no suprise with the rise of computer based animation.

Since we are talking about animation production chose DYRL. At its time the animation was amazing. It still even is comparable to some animated shows now. Zero was really good, but no suprise with the rise of computer based animation.

Wait...I thought it was "Best Macross Animated Production" (as opposed to, y'know, comics, radio dramas, games, failed live action movies, etc.), not "Best-Animated Macross Production."

If it's the latter, I want to change my vote to MacZero.

I refuse to vote since to me, all Macross series are best compare to other anime in their time.

Probably the best response. Its not really fair to compare Macross productions to each other. Each production has its own merits.

Taksraven

(Woo-Hoo, 800 it is)

I picked MacTV, it was a tough pick to choose it over DYRL but I really liked the character drama in MacTV and that gets diminished in DYRL. Second would obviously be DYRL and then I'd go Frontier for third if I could. The others are just the moles and flat skin between the tits and ass (meaning they help keep the beauty together but they're not somewhere you stop and stay at too long).

Anyway, I voted for SDFM, just like everyone who doesn't vote for DYRL will. tongue.gif

I voted for Macross Frontier.

Was considering voting for Zero because of excellent animation and a moving love story...but then, Frontier has both of those.

Considered voting for SDF:M TV for all of those little wonderful nuggets of nostalgia...but...Frontier repeats them, with an interesting and fresh twist, and with Zero animation quality....(as in Macross Zero!)

Considered voting for Macross 7 because, plot wise, it is about the triumph of idealism and love against all odds, but then - so is the story of little Frontier Cinderella...

Considered voting for DYRL because of high quality animation, Misa Hayes and everything that makes it great...but Frontier had all of that.

Frontier has everything all of the other Macross series have. It also has Ranka.

It wins :)

Pete

I voted for Frontier, but i must admit, my mouse cursor was hovering over DYRL and the original macross.

I guess i voted for Frontier because of the eye candy and the new and hip pop songs.

Not that DYRL and macross didnt have those but in my opinion Lion and Diamond Crevasse beat out the songs from the original series

I voted for Frontier, but i must admit, my mouse cursor was hovering over DYRL and the original macross.

I guess i voted for Frontier because of the eye candy and the new and hip pop songs.

Not that DYRL and macross didnt have those but in my opinion Lion and Diamond Crevasse beat out the songs from the original series

*whew*

For a moment there, I thought you said "new and hip-hop songs."

And yeah...much as I love Minmay, Frontier's songs sound a lot more 2009/2010 than "Zero-G Love" does. But I'm sure if any of us are still alive in 2059, we'll be laughing at how dated "What 'bout my star" and "Seikan Hikou" sound...

Probably the best response. Its not really fair to compare Macross productions to each other. Each production has its own merits.

Taksraven

(Woo-Hoo, 800 it is)

Everyone has their favs, whats yours? Of course everyone loves all of macross, but if you had to choose, which one would you first punch on screen?

For me it's Zero, i didn't know this question was about quality in animation....

• 3 weeks later...

I choose the original, as it just has the best overall story, characters and what not. Though I include DYRL in that as well, which, while not as thorough in storytelling as SDF, giving it the lead, is still a great retelling with some of the most impressive cel animation out there.

Hello, newbie to the board here (but not a Macross n00b, just a guy who was just on Macross hiatus for about 5 years...).

Anyway, here's my ranking:

1. Robotech... JUST KIDDING!

Seriously:

1. SDF Macross. Nothing beats the original. It's a must for any anime enthusiast. Outdated music, outdated animation, and soon to be in the past relative to reality's timeline, it's still the best. Plus, there's no 2-8 without no. 1. :) Still my favorite televised series of all time, American or foreign.

2. DYRL. Basically, it's what I call striking the iron while it's hot. I like to lump it together with SDF Macross, but it's not as though it's not good in its own right.

3. Plus. It's basically what any spin-off/side series should be. Doesn't mess with the original's canon, is highly entertaining, and is rewatchable. Great animation for its time, good music.

4. Frontier. I haven't watched much anime in the past 5 years, but I'm so glad I went out of my way to catch it. So enjoyable, and has a lot of the nods to its predecessors to make fanboys go wild. Legimitately good in its own right, almost a perfect way to celebrate 25 years of Macross.

5. Flashback. Probably going back to the well one time too many, and there's really no story. Just a few nice pieces of original animation and music. But hey, I'm a sucker for Hikaru, Minmay, and Misa, so it's going high on my list anyway. But why'd Minmay cut her hair?! B))

6. II. Okay, this is where taking 5 years off from Macross helps putting things into perspective. I rate this lowly because, as I like to joke, it really should've been titled "DYRL Again" instead of "Lovers Again" because it borrowed too many elements of DYRL, but did it seemingly worse in every way. The heroes are less interesting, the villains are less appealing, the music is less memorable and the mecha was disappointing. But, I bumped it up one notch from where I did several years ago because I see it now as a conservative attempt to do Macross: use a formula proven to please the fans. The result is a flat attempt to revitalize a series that luckily didn't do anything to harm canon.

7. 7 (et al). Just a coincidence that I rated 7 seventh. Anyhoo, it just didn't appeal. I was interested enough to pursue the whole series (back in the day, that meant finding a fansubber or trader and getting the series on 13 or so VHS cassettes... so nostalgic! :)), and I thought the most appealing parts where anything that referenced SDF Macross or DYRL. I'd say it was mostly disappointing, but I had tempered expectations anyway so I consider it worth watching. As they joked in Frontier, Basara (and 7) is more dated now than Minmay (and SDF Macross), ironically.

8. Zero. I'm probably the only Macross fan in the world who ardently disliked Zero. It felt like one big retcon, which obviously is bad for a guy who loved SDF Macross as much as I did. I was so excited about its release in '02, I ended up only watching the first two episodes because I started severely losing interest after the second chapter. It wasn't until just this month I rewatched 1-2, then finished 3-5, stemming from my enthusiasm of watching Frontier. On the bright side, I really liked the animation and battles, and who doesn't like seeing Roy Focker again?

Edited by Jeff J

Taksraven

(Woo-Hoo, 800 it is)

"You dont compare a Hanzo sword to another Hanzo sword." from Kill Bill2

But this is no Hanzo sword, I voted for Macross Zero. Godlike animation and .... I kinda liked the story. Its not that so far off if you think about it ^_^

I'm probably the only Macross fan in the world who ardently disliked Zero.

On the contrary, a hell of a lot of people here (all of whom I would defend as "Macross fans") really disliked it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that those of us who liked it are in the minority.

(Although almost everyone agrees that the battles are lovely to watch.)

I choose the original, as it just has the best overall story, characters and what not. Though I include DYRL in that as well, which, while not as thorough in storytelling as SDF, giving it the lead, is still a great retelling with some of the most impressive cel animation out there.

Same here, nothing can beat the original SDF TV series... :)

then DYRL.

I also like Zero and Frontier very much, Plus 'movie vesion' is good...

Macross7 is just not my cup of tea, still like some songs and the valks though. :lol: