Best Macross animated production (1982-2008)

Nexx Stalker

Best Macross animated production (1982-2008)  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favourite

• SDF Macross
    • Macross the Movie - Do You Remember Love?
    • Macross Flashback 2012
    • Macross II
    • Macross Plus (OVA)
    • Macross Plus Movie Edition
    • Macross 7
    • Macross 7 Encore
    • Macross 7 Dynamite
    • Macross 7 The Movie - The Galaxy is Calling Me
    • Macross 0
    • Macross Frontier

I chose Macross II. 's not to say DYRL and the original series weren't great, but I don't fancy how the remainder of the main timeline turned out... we've gone from "culture shock" to "magic music" and I don't like it.

DYRL will always hold a special place in my heart for what it brought to the world of anime.

That's why it gets my vote. But Frontier, Plus, and even SDF:M have all had their moments of awesomeness.

As much as I love II...nothing could ever top SDF Macross (TV) in my opinion. It was Macross TV that made me fall in love with the series.

1. SDF Macross

2. Macross II

3. Macross DYRL?

4. Macross Frontier

5. Macross Plus

6. Macross Zero

7. Macross Flashback 2012

8. Macross 7

That's how I rank them.

Well, all of them have their merits, except for Macross II, not to much genius behind that series. :rolleyes:

...Have you seen any of the other Macross shows? You can't tell me that none of them have borrowed from each other. Again, II uses a lot of the same plot DEVICES as DYRL?...but it's a completely DIFFERENT story. <_<:rolleyes:

Does no one else see that? Does no one else see any of the similarities between SDF Macross and Macross Frontier? So why rag on Macross II?

...Have you seen any of the other Macross shows? You can't tell me that none of them have borrowed from each other. Again, II uses a lot of the same plot DEVICES as DYRL?...but it's a completely DIFFERENT story. <_<:rolleyes:

Does no one else see that? Does no one else see any of the similarities between SDF Macross and Macross Frontier? So why rag on Macross II?

I don't know about newer fans, but I used to rag on Macross II, well, because it was first. After all the glory of SDFM and DYRL and FB2012 (which, in 1987, I thought was the prelude to a new series, not the coda to the old)...I wait five years and get, with much fanfare, something that happens 80 years after DYRL and has no characters I know or care about. I watched the first two videotapes (four episodes) and never bothered to see the last one.

A couple years later, one of my friends called Macross Plus a must-see. I was doubtful, but checked it out and was (of course) blown away.

But the bad aftertaste of Macross II hung around for a while, and it wasn't until I reexamined it recently that I grew to like it.

I'd still probably call it my least favorite, though. And it has nothing to do with Kawamori not being involved...I just wasn't impressed with it at the time, and it took almost ten years for me to go back and watch it again.

Mac+ for me. Specifically OVA.

Zero would probably be my second choice.

Anything Mac7 would be last.

And if it's a choice between SDF and DYRL, I'm an SDF guy. DYRL was an interesting interpretation, but I prefer the sequencing of SDF a lot more.

I haven't watched Frontier yet, but I'm very excited to. I watched the first two episodes when they were first subbed. Can't wait for the rest.

Because the plot is silly and the characters are kinda lame. But the emulators idea is kinda cool, and there are some pretty sweet mecha designs to be seen.

All that said, Kawamori has done him damnedest to work II concepts into the franchise.

I have see all of them but II was just so weak, I tried to watch it with interest and I nearly fell asleep. After the first viewing I couldn't endure watching it a second time again and got rid of it and I wouldn't have it just for the sake of collecting it. The same plot devices from DYRL? that were used in it were just super recycled and we got a whiny hero in Hibiki, you can't tell me that using the Minmay Attack 80 years after SWI against a foe that is not Zentraedi seem kind of flawed to you? At least the people on Macross 7 had the right idea to attack conventionally and then adopt Minmay Attack-like tactics when they discovered what the Protodevlin were. Worst yet was what they did to the SDF-1, how can you just discard humanity's ark aside like that and then have it blown away? 80 years is too large of gap on top of that too. At least with the other series the scriptwriter had SK next to him for some guidance and not just take the "initiative" and make some trashy series, good thing Macross hasn't turned into what Gundam has become after Tomino left. We'd probably have the same amount of Gundam series as we do Macross if Tomino stayed onboard and didn't let anybody meddle with his creation. That's all my opinion though. Don't take offense at my opinion of trashy II. I've danced this dance before with one of my buddies.

I voted Macross Frontier for various reasons. Overall it had fantastic animation quality for the most part (handful of horribly animated scenes and some cheaply animated filler-ish episodes). Great cast of characters that we haven't seen the likes of since the original series, as opposed to just a small handful of characters. Furthered the story without making a number of old school Macross fans vomit, like Macross 7 did. The awesomeness of Macross Plus and Zero in a tv series.

Great mecha design and action scenes.

This series had people more worked up over each episode than the entire of Macross Zero (see WTF-1 as a good example).

Fantastic music that had a bit of everything from the history of Macross (exception of Plus and Zero).

It's a great successor to the original series. For now it's what I consider to be the best animated Macross production.

Macross Frontier

Macross DYRL

Macross Plus

Macross Zero

SDF Macross

Macross 7

-Macross II can stay alone in its little corner, the little bastard child about a war reporter.

I have see all of them but II was just so weak, I tried to watch it with interest and I nearly fell asleep. After the first viewing I couldn't endure watching it a second time again and got rid of it and I wouldn't have it just for the sake of collecting it. The same plot devices from DYRL? that were used in it were just super recycled and we got a whiny hero in Hibiki, you can't tell me that using the Minmay Attack 80 years after SWI against a foe that is not Zentraedi seem kind of flawed to you? At least the people on Macross 7 had the right idea to attack conventionally and then adopt Minmay Attack-like tactics when they discovered what the Protodevlin were. Worst yet was what they did to the SDF-1, how can you just discard humanity's ark aside like that and then have it blown away? 80 years is too large of gap on top of that too. At least with the other series the scriptwriter had SK next to him for some guidance and not just take the "initiative" and make some trashy series, good thing Macross hasn't turned into what Gundam has become after Tomino left. We'd probably have the same amount of Gundam series as we do Macross if Tomino stayed onboard and didn't let anybody meddle with his creation. That's all my opinion though. Don't take offense at my opinion of trashy II. I've danced this dance before with one of my buddies.

Yes, I didn't like what happened to the SDF-1, but I thought the story was great...along with the music, characters, and animation. As for using the Minmay Attack 80 years later. From my understanding all they were really dealing with were rogue Zentraedi. They had an effective means of disorienting those Zentraedi and it was working for them for that long. If it isn't broken, why fix it? It makes perfect sense to me. It just annoys me to see someone fault II for using plot devices found in another show. ...And of course I would never take offense...it is your opinion and you are, of course, entitled to it just like everyone else. :p To each their own. ^_^

Edit: My apologies for going off-topic.

Edited by Oihan

Yes, I didn't like what happened to the SDF-1, but I thought the story was great...along with the music, characters, and animation. As for using the Minmay Attack 80 years later. From my understanding all they were really dealing with were rogue Zentraedi. They had an effective means of disorienting those Zentraedi and it was working for them for that long. If it isn't broken, why fix it? It makes perfect sense to me. It just annoys me to see someone fault II for using plot devices found in another show. ...And of course I would never take offense...it is your opinion and you are, of course, entitled to it just like everyone else. :p To each their own. ^_^

Edit: My apologies for going off-topic.

Yeah rouge Zentraedi, the Mardook ships definitely looked like something else. Remember that Zentraedi don't know how to repair or even upgrade their ships and that their designs have remained static for thousands of years. That's what made it weak, recycling that same plot device that worked in the last one for something with a completely different situation. Considering the advancements in technology, I'm sure that such an attack isn't needed anymore, I mean look at that Macross Cannon ship, that monster plus all those "advanced" VF designs are more than enough for any other ships, I can understand colony fleets, but nobody knows about the colonization programs in that parallel universe. And as Togo said as well, plot was silly and characters lame, hell, I didn't care for any of the characters in that. I had more affection for Physica in 7 than I did for Hibiki, Nexx, Ishtar, and the others' who's names escape me.

Yeah rouge Zentraedi, the Mardook ships definitely looked like something else. Remember that Zentraedi don't know how to repair or even upgrade their ships and that their designs have remained static for thousands of years. That's what made it weak, recycling that same plot device that worked in the last one for something with a completely different situation. Considering the advancements in technology, I'm sure that such an attack isn't needed anymore, I mean look at that Macross Cannon ship, that monster plus all those "advanced" VF designs are more than enough for any other ships, I can understand colony fleets, but nobody knows about the colonization programs in that parallel universe. And as Togo said as well, plot was silly and characters lame, hell, I didn't care for any of the characters in that. I had more affection for Physica in 7 than I did for Hibiki, Nexx, Ishtar, and the others' who's names escape me.

Leave any MII debate out of this thread, please.

Arigato.

• 3 weeks later...