Podcast: Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counterattack

Ginrai

I always thought Quess was kinda cute, and she's totally PUNK ROCK!

I'm currently downloading, so I haven't listened to it yet, but I love how there's a banner ad for the Shadow Chronicles Blu-Ray disc on your site. Be careful...HG might use that fact against you: "Destroy All Podcasts DX endorses and recommends RTSC on Blu-Ray!" or some such nonsense...

I always thought Quess was kinda cute, and she's totally PUNK ROCK!

You've gotta be kidding me.

I'm currently downloading, so I haven't listened to it yet, but I love how there's a banner ad for the Shadow Chronicles Blu-Ray disc on your site. Be careful...HG might use that fact against you: "Destroy All Podcasts DX endorses and recommends RTSC on Blu-Ray!" or some such nonsense...

Haha, that's funny. Well, it just goes to show our integrity if the site we are hosted by is advertising stuff we totally slammed.

You've gotta be kidding me.

Kind of. I do tend to always like the bitchy psycho girls in anime...but Quess is a little TOO psycho, even for me.

I thought she was pretty darn cute when I was 15, but I think that was mostly the ponytail...and the fact that I had no subtitles and couldn't understand Japanese.

Even without subtitles I hated Quess. You don't know how satisfied I was to see the Alpha Azieru blow up quite spectacularly! I even laughed!

Satisfaction followed by rage since Hathaway killed Chan in the crippled Re-GZ because of it. :angry:

Satisfaction followed by rage since Hathaway killed Chan in the crippled Re-GZ because of it. :angry:

That always pissed me off, too. I was quite pleased to learn later that he gets the death sentence from his own dad.

Back to the podcast...I was surprised how much all of you disliked the movie. I didn't think it was the be-all end-all of Gundam, although I did like it a fair amount.

They had enough material for a three-hour OVA, though...I agree with you that they should've cut out a lot of the extraneous characters.

And for some reason, Char's...let's say "altered" methodology bugged me before the movie came out more than it did after I saw it. Five years separate Zeta and CCA...and a lot can happen to a person's ideas in five years.

(No, I know it's not a real excuse, but it's all I've got...)

That always pissed me off, too. I was quite pleased to learn later that he gets the death sentence from his own dad.

You really shouldn't be pleased because that doesn't even happen in the same continuity. Hathaway gets executed in Hathaway's Flash, which follows the continuity of the CCA Beltorchika's Children novel, not the CCA movie. In the novel, Hathaway is treated as a hero because he's the one who killed Quess.

What's to hate about Quess?

Selfish, bratty teenage girl. The world is filled with them. This one was newtype. She really needed Uncle Ben's advice.

Instead she got Uncle Char advice and run wild with a MS/MA. A very typical newtype teenage girl. :wacko:

You really shouldn't be pleased because that doesn't even happen in the same continuity. Hathaway gets executed in Hathaway's Flash, which follows the continuity of the CCA Beltorchika's Children novel, not the CCA movie. In the novel, Hathaway is treated as a hero because he's the one who killed Quess.

Don't rob me of my joy. <_<

It's been a number of years since I last saw CCA, but the whole "relationship" between Char and Quess not to mention that Char's girlfriend was feeling threated by a 13/14 year old girl was well I should say a bit, er, uncomfortable at the least. :blink: Yeah, I know that Quess looks to Char as a mentor/father figure while Char is just using her for his Newtype goals, but still...

Oh, and for those hating Katejina - she did give us the Zanscare Empire All-womens Bazooka-wielding Bikini-clad Death Squad, so shes not all bad. :)

She kills the remaining Shrikes, including Odello and she was twisted since the beginning. About the bazooka girls....it was fun untill they were vaporized by Uso beam saber :ph34r:

Over all, i enjoyed CCA, it had great battle scenes, great mecha designs and great soundtrack, but yeah i hate Quess too, she switched sides pretty fast which is something i really wished they could have expanded on. Hathaway killing Chen is also a disapointment, kind of makes me feel sorry for Bright cos he deserves better in a son. If they killed off hathaway straight after Chen that would have been great, sort of like justice being served.

Oh, and for those hating Katejina - she did give us the Zanscare Empire All-womens Bazooka-wielding Bikini-clad Death Squad, so shes not all bad. :)

YES! The most flawless, best thought-out plan in all of military history! ^_^

Over all, i enjoyed CCA, it had great battle scenes, great mecha designs and great soundtrack, but yeah i hate Quess too, she switched sides pretty fast which is something i really wished they could have expanded on.

There's A LOT they could've expanded on...

I wonder which would've served CCA better: cutting out all the extraneous characters and material, or keeping it all in but making it a longer OVA instead of a movie?

CCA doesn't feel quite as overstuffed as, say, F91, but I did find myself wishing for either a smaller scale story, or the slow-moving grandeur of Be Forever Yamato or something like that.

That said, I still like CCA a lot.

What's to hate about Quess?

Selfish, bratty teenage girl. The world is filled with them. This one was newtype. She really needed Uncle Ben's advice.

Quess the egocentric, horny-for-boys, bratty, air headed space cadet has recently been surpassed by the "V"-posing, tongue-showing, ugly-face-and-uglier-hearted Nena Trinity in my books.

Katejina takes a distant third.

Edited by John Focker

Doing a movie is fine, but Sunrise needed to stop hamstringing the story with weird demands. No Char in ZZ (he's in the opening)? No Beltorchika? CCA doesn't even have any real connection to Zeta. It plays out like a direct sequel to the original movies. I mean, if you're gonna spare Camille from his fate and eventually make him Seabook's mom, at least let him pilot the Re-GZ and not female Roy Focker (or Sleggar in this case).

Doing a movie is fine, but Sunrise needed to stop hamstringing the story with weird demands. No Char in ZZ (he's in the opening)? No Beltorchika? CCA doesn't even have any real connection to Zeta. It plays out like a direct sequel to the original movies. I mean, if you're gonna spare Camille from his fate and eventually make him Seabook's mom, at least let him pilot the Re-GZ and not female Roy Focker (or Sleggar in this case).

Char supposed to make an appearance in ZZ (as opposed to Glemy), but since Tomino got green light for CCA movies, he scrapped the idea. Probaby there are several untold stories after ZZ ending like Char returning to Axis and the forming of Londo Bell.

Also to those who hate Quess, what are your opinion seeing her in Gundam Evolve where she and Hathaway survive.

Char supposed to make an appearance in ZZ (as opposed to Glemy), but since Tomino got green light for CCA movies, he scrapped the idea. Probaby there are several untold stories after ZZ ending like Char returning to Axis and the forming of Londo Bell.

Also to those who hate Quess, what are your opinion seeing her in Gundam Evolve where she and Hathaway survive.

If you extrapolate from Glemy's transformation in ZZ I think you can see how Char went from AEUG Quatro to CCA Char.

Doing a movie is fine, but Sunrise needed to stop hamstringing the story with weird demands. No Char in ZZ (he's in the opening)? No Beltorchika? CCA doesn't even have any real connection to Zeta. It plays out like a direct sequel to the original movies.

Which, I admit, does make good business sense, since more people watched the original Gundam than watched Zeta and Double Zeta. But it all just kind of confirms my belief that, as contradictory as they are (to the series and to each other), the novels are the "real" version of the story...or at least, what the story would be like if Tomino hadn't had Bandai breathing down his neck.

No I just wish someone would translate the rest of 'em, or (and this is more likely) I get my Japanese good enough that I can read them myself.

And then I need to win the lottery so I can spend the ten years translating all of them... ^_^