Macross Valkyries scales

meninge

No need to apologize. I wasn't trying to tear into you. I looked into your points based on the new images. With respect to the legs--the issue you mentioned that I hadn't already noted--I was able to identify the problem. They looked too tall, but it turns out they were too short. Everything from the back of the head to the tips of the nozzles was slightly short. A few minor adjustments and most of that is fixed. I took your suggestions seriously.

Sometimes, when you are doing a modeling project, you have to take whatever you can get. At the outset of this one I decided to confine myself to 1st party (anime screen shots or magazine images) or Second party (toys and models) sources until I had no other choice. So far I haven't had to use a second party source. At this point, however, I'm out of primary material that can add to my accuracy. I was just explaining why I couldn't use the FS models as sources.

I'm offering my image as a stand in for the VF-25 on these scale charts, so it is important that it be as close to correct as humanly possible. At least until some real and useful images come out. So, I welcome any suggestions for improvement. But I am a bit of pedant when I choose to be, so I see a potential flaw in a suggestion, I'll likely point it out. It's nothing personal.

Ironside: If it's against your honor code, ok. However, they are pretty accurate. I spent a lot of time comparing them to the anime, and they're pretty true to that. If everything was too short, it would explain why it all seemed too tall. Well, like I said, it is your model, and you are free to do whatever with it.

Best wishes,

SchizophrenicMC

PS, call me Schizo. It's easier than Schizophrenic or SchizophrenicMC.

It's actually a composite. The line art is all Kawamori, but the head unit was taken from another Kawamori drawing and I performed the clean up on the drawing to make the finished art as seamless as possible. I think it worked out well, much better than my first attempt. The need to do the composite was largely due to the lack of a usable large sized Battroid drawing for the VF-1A.

With only a few exceptions, the line art on the M3 is all unmodified originals drawn by Kawamori and Miyatake. But in some cases, like the TV Queadluun-Rau, I lacked any books that had unblemished original art work, so I had to build one. In the case of the Q-Rau TV version, the art was across two pages in the Macross Perfect Memory book. I scanned both pages and painstakingly rebuilt the line art in photoshop.

In the next update to the M3, I've finalized Kawamori's VF-4 Battroid, doing extensive clean up and "inking" of his work to create a sharp and clean version of the line art (fans can catch a preview of that VF-4 Battroid in the color coded transformation thread).

Edited by Mr March

Kawamori does all the valkyrie mecha art and some other miscellaneous mecha such as Regulds, Glaugs and Zentradi fighter pods. This includes the concept sketches, all finalized artwork, transformation drawings, and all the miscellaneous details like close ups of gun pods, hands, feet, cockpits and everything else. The book Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works is a collection of Kawamori's line art for Macross and it includes all the valkyries he's created (Macross II is not included, since it was not a Studio Nue production).

Drawings like UN Spacy ships, Zentradi/Meltrandi ships and enemy mecha were largely created by Miyatake Kazutaka. Miyatake designed the Zentradi aesthetic and built the now famous Queadluun-Rau. He also created all the drawings for the UN SPacy ships, including the iconic SDF-1 Macross and created artwork for all the Macross 7 ships such as the Battle 7, Macross 7, Uraga, Guantanamo, and Stealth Frigates.

Promotional artwork and posters, like many of the full pages and two-page spreads published in magazines, are done by any number of artists. Some could be Kawamori or Miyatake, many others are not.

Actually... Kazutaka Miyatake did a lot of that. In "Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works", if you look closely you'll see a lot of boxes with "Designed by 宮武一貴" in it. All the stuff inside of those boxes are Miyatake Kazutaka. (Ex pg 36-37, 44, 85, 92, 111, 138 and so on).

IMHO, that book should be "Shoji Kawamori & Kazutaka Miyatake Macross Valkyrie Design Works". B))

(...) details like close ups of gun pods, hands, feet, cockpits and everything else. (...)

I figured that was the case, but it can be hard to tell sometimes. Several artists were working on the various Macross projects, so some details may have been done by others. Junya Ishigaki is even credited for some work miscellaneous work on Macross Zero, such as the VF-0 Phoenix cockpit.

Wolfman: True, and if I had Photoshop, I'd have redone the blue to its native red, but I don't. Jolly Rogers Squadron would've looked better and would've been fitting. Or Wolfpack. (Wolfpack is Squadron VF-1, for those who don't know.)

Mr March: Well, I got it from your site, and it is edited by you for some of it, so... Anyway, the point is all of my customs are based on the valks on the M3. I'm working on my base copy of the VF-11(All), VF-1S(GERWALK and Battroid), and VF-19. The 3D modelled valks aren't going to be in my customs series, due to the impossibility of coloring them in paint. (Without them looking like crap...) You have the VF-4 finalized? I should probably get to work on that.

The above said, I think this would be a good time to say that I do make customs for others, and if you provide me with a rendered PNG picture, I can make a VF-1 (All I got for now...) custom.

I know you got it from my website. It's couldn't have come from anywhere else since 99% of all Macross line art on the net is really small and low resolution and those that are larger are not colored. I was just making sure proper credit went to Kawamori, because it is his art, all I did was color/shade it and edit in a different head :)

If you want some blanks, I can provide you with a few. Here is a VF-1A Battroid. I don't want to go through everything posting hundreds of blanks, but if you want a couple more, let me know and I'll post 'em.

post-114-1225850666_thumb.png

Here is a look at a chart I'm working on for my website. Enjoy

mmmmm, OOOHHHHHH!!! :o:o:o:o YOU STOLE MY IDEA!!!!! ( it`s only a joke)

but why the green 17 is bigger than the black 17???? that is interesting, I wanna know the source of that info!!!

Anyway, your chart is Too good!!!

Congratulatios!!

but why the green 17 is bigger than the black 17???? that is interesting, I wanna know the source of that info!!!

Congratulatios!!

It's the two-seat trainer version, so the VF-17T has a longer forward fuselage to fit it in. That's why it's longer overall. Besides the forward fuselage it's still the same size..

It's the two-seat trainer version, so the VF-17T has a longer forward fuselage to fit it in. That's why it's longer overall. Besides the forward fuselage it's still the same size..

JAJAJAJAJAJ, that's true, that's it! the training fighter!!!

Thanks TAlos

Edited by meninge

Congratulatios!!

Hehehe. Well, it was a good idea.

But in all honesty, I've been working on a bunch of size comparison charts and this is just one. There's going to be all kinds of similar goodies in the next update :)

OOHH please, continue!!!

I want to see that new "bunch of size comparison charts "

Mr March.... mmm that nick sounds to me familiar.....

Well, as you can see i am a NEWBIE in the forums but the MACROSS WORLD SITE is completely old to me, since 1999 - 2000 I think!

I'll waiting your work!

Mr March.... mmm that nick sounds to me familiar.....

OOHHH my god, now i know who you are... your page.. is macross mecha manual... waw, that page is wonderful, it's like a dream to me and I always want to do something like that with ROBOTECH!!!

Look, this is my last work about size charts and robotech:

supermechachartho1.gif

Mister march overtechnology....

Congratulations for you web!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

Thank you. I'm glad you like my Macross Mecha Manual website. It's been a lot of fun putting it together.

Your size comparison chart for the Robotech mecha is pretty good. I've seen parts of it before. I can't comment on the non-Macross mecha, but regarding the Macross mecha, it appears the Queadluun-Rau is too small. The Glaug is 16.55 meters tall while the Queadluun-Rau is 16.75 meters (18.8 meters with the antennae). So the Q-Rau should be taller than the Glaug, unless heights of the mecha were changed in Robotech, which I wouldn't know.

Also, there is a more accurate front view schematic of the Glaug, that you can see on my website by selecting this link.

Keep watching for future updates to my website. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

unless heights of the mecha were changed in Robotech, which I wouldn't know.

this is the answer. If i dont make a mistake.... this was the case when i work on the Dragon fighter.

Keep watching for future updates to my website. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

to do my sizechart, your web was very useful, but i hope you'll put some more info about the size and heights of all fighters, ships and mechas.

Your size comparison chart for the Robotech mecha is pretty good.

I took all the models from rt.com and I add the rest mechas and modify them in my work style. (Paint, jajajajaj!)

Also, there is a more accurate front view schematic of the Glaug, that you can see on my website

OHH yes, i've seen it before, I took this views and put some colors:

offpodfl8.gif

As you can see i dont make the shadows because i dont need it for now, but i think it is not a bad job at all.

I'm waiting for that charts!!!!

BYE!!!! and keep going witn the mecha manual.

When one looks at the RT comparison, it makes one wonder how the Invid could have possibly been a threat to the Zentreadi. The giants would be stomping those bugs outta existence!

I asked him to do that - put not only macross mecha, but other (quite popular here I must say) mechas.

And, please, stop it - it is not RT comparison, it is Macross+Souther Cross + MOSPEADA comparison. :p

Edited by SeminNV

Mr March: Sorry, you're late on the VF-1A Battroid. However, the VF-11(Battroid and Gerwalk) and VF-19(All) are still unstarted... :p But if you do release some blanks, PNG's the way to go. Hardest part is the pixels along the lines.

Meninge: So, I'm not the only Robotech fan here... Good job. The Monster looks a bit scrawny, but everything else looks in-scale.

Zinjo: There were hot chicks that didn't have to be micronized to be able to land your SDF-1 in their Macross Lakes. :p

Sorry, March, same problem as before. The white near the edges is a slightly darker shade with a different hexidecimal code than normal white. What does this mean? They're not the exact shade of white, and Paint doesn't have fuzzy logic, so it can't recognize that they're similar shades of the same color. I'd still have to pixel-by pixel it. Sorry, man. I've wasted your time and to no gain for either of us. :(

Sorry, March, same problem as before. The white near the edges is a slightly darker shade with a different hexidecimal code than normal white. What does this mean? They're not the exact shade of white, and Paint doesn't have fuzzy logic, so it can't recognize that they're similar shades of the same color. I'd still have to pixel-by pixel it. Sorry, man. I've wasted your time and to no gain for either of us. :(

Try using GIMP to do it then. It's freeware and you could take care of that whole problem in a matter of moments. I use it for all my profile painting, like this:

vf0abasexg8.th.png

http://www.gimp.org/

Zinjo: There were hot chicks that didn't have to be micronized to be able to land your SDF-1 in their Macross Lakes. :p

Not sure what you are referring to there bud... :blink:

Try using GIMP to do it then. It's freeware and you could take care of that whole problem in a matter of moments. I use it for all my profile painting, like this:

vf0abasexg8.th.png

http://www.gimp.org/

Yeah Gimp is great for fairly simple editing. I use it at work for cropping and editing digital photos...

That's the anti-aliasing. I use it on all my line art scans to create digitized reproductions that look really smooth, avoiding sharp pixel edges that would make the scan of the line art appear jagged and ugly.

I suggest taking Talos and Zinlovely's advice and use Gimp. It even appears to support PSD formats (that's the Photoshop format I use in Photoshop CS). It may even allow you to utilize my colored PSD files.

March: Perhaps, perhaps.

Talos: Perhaps, perhaps.

Zinjo: Perhaps, perhaps... Also, that was a Robotech reference. You said something about how the Invid couldn't have beaten the Zentraedi. I moved in with the good, ole fanservice aspect. A macronized Zentraedi... Well, you could walk in there... An Invid princess, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Well, I tried Gimp, and it works... Well, there's a bit of confusion on some of the lines, but that's due to how heavy March anti-aliases :p

Attached is the Koenig-1 VF-11B in fighter mode. It shows how some lines are screwed. I had to re-draw a few lines. Main reason I hate using new photo editors is that I'm not used to them. I like the simple UI in Paint...

post-9357-1226206251_thumb.png

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

March: Perhaps, perhaps.

Talos: Perhaps, perhaps.

Zinjo: Perhaps, perhaps... Also, that was a Robotech reference. You said something about how the Invid couldn't have beaten the Zentraedi. I moved in with the good, ole fanservice aspect. A macronized Zentraedi... Well, you could walk in there... An Invid princess, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Well, I tried Gimp, and it works... Well, there's a bit of confusion on some of the lines, but that's due to how heavy March anti-aliases :p

Attached is the Koenig-1 VF-11B in fighter mode. It shows how some lines are screwed. I had to re-draw a few lines. Main reason I hate using new photo editors is that I'm not used to them. I like the simple UI in Paint...

Looks good.

There is a trick to do fills easily without damaging the base. What you do is load the image normally, and go to the layers palette and change the layer mode for it to "Multiply". The image should disappear at that point. Then insert a white-filled layer underneath that to use as a background. A third no-fill layer in between is where you can place your fill. If you have any questions, you can ask and I'll help where I can.

What in the who with a what? I'm used to single-layer MSPaint. Go slow on me, for I am but a noob!

Hit "CRTL-L" to bring up the layers screen and use the boxes there. There is one that says "Mode" and has "Normal" in the bar. That will give you Multiply. Right-clicking in the empty space underneath the "background" layer will allow you to make a new layer. If I have time tomorrow, I can make screen shots to show you.