Macross Island Diorama

ron5864

• 3 weeks later...
The Island....

No, not the one that Ewan MaGregor and Scarlett Johansson were trying to get to in that Michael Bay film.

But this one...

post-7534-1221265911_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1221266064_thumb.jpeg

This is a small Macross Island diorama for the 1/20000th scale ARII SDF-1. The period is circa late 1999 after the uncontrolled descent of the Macross battle fortress plowed onto a small South Pacific island (Ataria) and wiping out 75% of the local plants and wildlife. :p

But wait, there's more! Here is sneak peek of the next part of this project

Ten years later, humans continued the habitat destruction by paving over 1/3 of the island.

post-7534-1221266687_thumb.jpeg

This is 1/5000th scale diorama is still a work in progress. More photos and details to come. ^_^

Brilliant!! totally thought it was CG!

Hope one day you'll do up a Force mode SDF-1 half in the ocean with arms out. That would be cool. (easier than what you've already

accomplished!) Wave need to make you a TV 1/5000 SDF-1, you've got yourself a DYRL? one?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Brilliant!! totally thought it was CG!

Hope one day you'll do up a Force mode SDF-1 half in the ocean with arms out. That would be cool. (easier than what you've already

accomplished!) Wave need to make you a TV 1/5000 SDF-1, you've got yourself a DYRL? one?

Hey ruskii,

I do have a WAVE TV 1/5000 SDF-1.

post-7534-1224639263_thumb.jpeg

I was planning to build Macross City 2 around it with the lake surrounding the ship. :lol: It will be a project for next year.

Hey ruskii,

I was planning to build Macross City 2 around it with the lake surrounding the ship. :lol: It will be a project for next year.

That looks beautiful!!! I haven't seen this custom before, when did you end up finishing it? Love it!

I didn't look hard enough at what SDF-1 you used, i thought it was mighty accurate for an old 80's/early 90's kit!

I really hope Wave or Yamato or even Bandai give us a TV version one day. Where did you get the Daedalus and Promethius from?

Can't wait next year for the next dio!

@ VF-18S Hornet That's because it is the DYRL? Wave 1/5000 :p They never brought out the TV version.

This is a cusom.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 2 weeks later...
I have always thought a sculptured of the refitted Macross would be a nice pool decoration...

Speaking of nice dios, I've always wanted to create the scene involving post-apocalyptic Earth with the dead Zent soldier leaning back on his crashed Gnerl in a sea of wildflowers, holding onto his Minmei doll.

Yeah, it's a little 'arty' but to me that one scene retells almost the entire Macross story.

Hey ruskii,

This needs to be added to the MW customs page. Great work.

It is a WAVE SDF-1 custom with the Daedelus and Prometheus from an old Imai kit. Maybe WAVE will make a TV version later on.

Ron, Thanks for reposting. I am saving your photo right now since I could never find the origional post.

Really hope that Wave copies your work since the Imai kit is almost impossible to find.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the diorama.....SOLD!!!

It has been sold to one of our Macross World members. I am not going to say who, but this individual lives somewhere in Southern California.

I know I had promised to bring this diorama to the 2009 MacrossCon. :huh: But that is not up to me now. It is up to the new owner to see if he wants to display it next July.

On the bright side, I will build another diorama with a different Macross theme for the MacrossCon next year. :lol: I already know what it is going to be and am now just starting to get the materials. It will contain more awesomeness than the Macross Island set. (Hint: Diorama set takes place in the year 2059)

So stay tuned...

• 6 months later...
Update on the diorama.....SOLD!!!

It has been sold to one of our Macross World members. I am not going to say who, but this individual lives somewhere in Southern California.

I know I had promised to bring this diorama to the 2009 MacrossCon. :huh: But that is not up to me now. It is up to the new owner to see if he wants to display it next July.

On the bright side, I will build another diorama with a different Macross theme for the MacrossCon next year. :lol: I already know what it is going to be and am now just starting to get the materials. It will contain more awesomeness than the Macross Island set. (Hint: Diorama set takes place in the year 2059)

So stay tuned...

This has me re-thinking my position on attending the con this year. Will it be for sale at the con? :unsure:

Con is gonna be so good this year...

nothing is going to be for sale at the con this year... at least no exchange of cash at the campus... there is F&S on Saturday for anyone that wants to buy Macross stuff while in LA. It's a long drive from F&S to UCLA though.

Yeah I heard about the no sales thing at the con this year, that really is a pain, especially with a big sponser like HLJ jumping in.

Ditto that. Major bummer really. Is there any way around it? Can we have a booth off campus or use a cargo van?

Con is gonna be so good this year...

nothing is going to be for sale at the con this year... at least no exchange of cash at the campus... there is F&S on Saturday for anyone that wants to buy Macross stuff while in LA. It's a long drive from F&S to UCLA though.

Ouch! Frank & Sons would be cool. A co-worker and I talked about visiting there after last year's con. You guys are really lucky to have that kind of access to the place.

Ditto that. Major bummer really. Is there any way around it? Can we have a booth off campus or use a cargo van?

Yeah, I feel ya miriya. I remember seeing all the cool stuff that was for sale at last year's con. If it's the campus' policy then I think a trip to Frank & Sons would suffice. Probably would be too much of a hassle to set something up off campus though, but I have to admit it would be cool to have shop set up at the con.

Ouch! Frank & Sons would be cool. A co-worker and I talked about visiting there after last year's con. You guys are really lucky to have that kind of access to the place.

Yeah, I feel ya miriya. I remember seeing all the cool stuff that was for sale at last year's con. If it's the campus' policy then I think a trip to Frank & Sons would suffice. Probably would be too much of a hassle to set something up off campus though, but I have to admit it would be cool to have shop set up at the con.

The distance from F&S to UCLA is quite large and considering LA traffic, almost an impossibility to do both in the same day. I may be wrong about that though. Does anyone have a better idea of the time involved?

I have always thought a sculptured of the refitted Macross would be a nice pool decoration...

You just made me think about an inflatable pool toy that you can sit in. You could have the legs bent at 90 deg to form the part you lay on. The two side ships can be the arm rests, and the upper torso and cannons can be the back rest. :p

• 4 weeks later...

Back in November of '08 I said....

"I will build another diorama with a different Macross theme for the MacrossCon next year. I already know what it is going to be and am now just starting to get the materials. It will contain more awesomeness than the Macross Island set. (Hint: Diorama set takes place in the year 2059)

So stay tuned... "

A promise is a promise.... so a sneak peek ^_^

post-7534-1246520673_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1246520954_thumb.jpeg