Macross Island Diorama

ron5864

The Island....

No, not the one that Ewan MaGregor and Scarlett Johansson were trying to get to in that Michael Bay film.

But this one...

post-7534-1221265911_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1221266064_thumb.jpeg

This is a small Macross Island diorama for the 1/20000th scale ARII SDF-1. The period is circa late 1999 after the uncontrolled descent of the Macross battle fortress plowed onto a small South Pacific island (Ataria) and wiping out 75% of the local plants and wildlife. :p

But wait, there's more! Here is sneak peek of the next part of this project

Ten years later, humans continued the habitat destruction by paving over 1/3 of the island.

post-7534-1221266687_thumb.jpeg

This is 1/5000th scale diorama is still a work in progress. More photos and details to come. ^_^

Amazing work Ron. Man, creating those buildings required a LOT of patience. Well done.

Which flock did you use for Ataria? And was it spak-filla to create the mud/earth around the crashed SDF-1? And how did you make the water? It sorta looks like paint on sandpaper - turned out very nicely!

Sorry for the 20 questions mate, I just love your work and want to learn :)

Edited by cowie165

The Island: Part 2 (Circa 2009)

Alright guys/gals,

Here is the completed 1/5000th Macross Island set, or rather mostly Macross City set. This took sometime to finish because all the buildings and background scenery. :wacko: I tried recreating the set to match what was shown in Epsiode 1 of Macross:SDF.

The 1/5000th scale SDF-1 is from Imai. Now it has a pretty decent place to be displayed in. ^_^

post-7534-1221334861_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1221334934_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1221334990_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1221335092_thumb.jpeg

And about the 1999 Island, the ocean water was just several shades of blue gloss spray paint. The lighter blue was painted closer to the land to mimic the shallower areas. The speckled water surface was done after applying several layers to give some wave roughness. The island itself is made out of towel paper dipped into a diluted Elmer's glue solution. It hardens just like plaster based material. Brown paint was then applied. Woodland Scenic's green grass was then applied. This set did not take much time to build since it was rather small compared to the 1/5000th version. Plus it was done while I was working on the larger one.

If I can make it to next year's MacrossCon2009, I will bring these sets.

Deculture!

post-7534-1221334905_thumb.jpeg

DECULTURE INDEED!!! Oh my oh my oh my....Ron....ALWAYS impressive. I can't wait to see these beauties in person. I will fo sho be at next years con and if you are not there then I will just have to swing by your crib and snag ya up.

:ph34r:

That is beautiful, I wonder if you could vacform a mold for it so others could try building their own based on it. Also, when you really look at it it makes you realize just how little of the city they were able to put into the Macross, probably just the housing area and a little bit of the business district.

The Island....

No, not the one that Ewan MaGregor and Scarlett Johansson were trying to get to in that Michael Bay film.

But this one...

post-7534-1221265911_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1221266064_thumb.jpeg

This is a small Macross Island diorama for the 1/20000th scale ARII SDF-1. The period is circa late 1999 after the uncontrolled descent of the Macross battle fortress plowed onto a small South Pacific island (Ataria) and wiping out 75% of the local plants and wildlife. :p

But wait, there's more! Here is sneak peek of the next part of this project

Ten years later, humans continued the habitat destruction by paving over 1/3 of the island.

post-7534-1221266687_thumb.jpeg

This is 1/5000th scale diorama is still a work in progress. More photos and details to come. ^_^

Ron my man you are insane in the membrane!!! This is just wickedly sick!!! Wish I had your skills bro.

:blink:

OO

Edited by MacrossMan

Great job. ^_^ How big does the entire diorama measure?

This sets were made for displaying the SDF-1. But they were also made for Macross fans. I hope to bring them to the next MacrossCon.

The 1/5000th scale set measures about 20 inches deep by 30 inches wide. The cliffs are about 4 inches high.

The 1/20000th scale set is about 12 inches by 15 inches.

And Misterryno, if I were to build a 1/60 scale version, I better start looking for a real deserted island... :lol:

I'll post more photos into the photo gallery when I get back from work travel.