Macross in the weirdest places

yellowlightman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Thom said:

Didn't know where else to put this, but I saw this at my local Target tonight... About $25.

9pMtUnR.jpg

What even... why with a car?  Why a Toyota Supra?  Why is the background image a Queadluun-Rau?  Why is this?

*exasperated sigh*

Like, I'm looking for an ObviousPlant logo or something, because this gives off insane levels of that "off-brand Chinese knockoff toy from a non-chain drugstore toy aisle" energy.

Go home Robotech licensing, you're drunk.

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

What even... why with a car?  Why a Toyota Supra?  Why is the background image a Queadluun-Rau?  Why is this?

*exasperated sigh*

Like, I'm looking for an ObviousPlant logo or something, because this gives off insane levels of that "off-brand Chinese knockoff toy from a non-chain drugstore toy aisle" energy.

Go home Robotech licensing, you're drunk.

Hahaha! :lol: I think as far as 'Macross in the Weirdest Places' goes, the Robotech's UNSpacy Toyota Supra 2020 is the winner for now. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hahaha! :lol: I think as far as 'Macross in the Weirdest Places' goes, the Robotech's UNSpacy Toyota Supra 2020 is the winner for now. :rolleyes:

If it's not the weirdest, it's gotta be in the top five.

There's just nowhere that those two things meet in the middle.  Robotech is a largely forgotten cartoon from 1985 and the Supra's a sportscar from 2020.  Rick Hunter was an American stunt pilot turned fighter pilot who got around by taxi and bicycle when not flying and the Supra's a German-Japanese sportscar.  It's not even a car that could have plausibly existed in Robotech, since Earth's surface was destroyed in 2010 and this Supra's a 2020.  Robotech's not exactly known for cars either, with the few motor vehicles in the series being heavy duty trucks, jeeps, and motorbikes.  Rick is wearing his pilot suit rather than a racing suit or casual clothes and he's saluting as sportscar drivers so often do*.  The background art in the packaging's a Queadluun-Rau, which has nothing to do with any of those things.

It's not so much Initial D as Initial F: See Me After Class.

*Well, with more than just the middle finger...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

C'mon guys ! You don't remember that scene where a Queedlunn Rau breaks into Macross city and is chasing Rik Hunter in his Supra (explosions all around!) while he's racing to his VF..?!:rofl:

Lol. Someone in the RT camp saw that Ozoma has a sports car , and justified this Genius (:spiteful:)marketing move!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, so normally, i wouldn't mention this as Antarctic Press' comics Ninja High School and Gold Digger regulary reference and parody a variety of anime, manga, tokusatsu, western comics and movies and Macross is just one of many such to get referenced (sometimes even by name) or parodied. However when they put what appears to be a Macross on the cover, like they did for issue 294 of Gold Digger, I figure it deserves mention. Image from ebay

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 3:18 AM, no3Ljm said:

I just found out about this. I didn't know it was a thing in China.

This is pure gold. Always amuses me. When I was teaching many moons ago, in the design field for entertainment, I was so hard on my students about not copying existing work... And sometimes I'd still get blatant copying along with a pretty typed out page justifying it. 

I don't suppose anyone here saw a low budget Nicktoons TV show called Alien Dawn back in 2013?  It's a live action series with a lot of animated sequences in the form of a comic book that the show revolves around. The first episode opens with an experimental space ship being launched and there's a couple familiar faces in the crowd observing the launch.

alien dawn familiar faces.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...