Macross in the weirdest places

yellowlightman

• 2 weeks later...

Only weird b/c the moronic fanbase has finally placed Macross in one of their polls.

Just keep watching.

https://youtu.be/-_cMG_qXguc

not even gonna watch. top 5 mechs of all time are: VF-1 Valkyrie, RX-78 Gundam, Gunbuster, Mazinger Z and Eva unit 1. Any list that isn't that is wrong.

• 1 month later...

I was watching a new show from this season, Myriad Colors Phantom World and came across a character name that could possibly be a homage to Macross. The main character just happens to be named Ichijo Haruhiko and uses the same kanji for the names. Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was cracking up at that part, the one before where she was saying how he likes the Ranka built girls like Momose and the part where he said "your giant tits". That couple is hilarious.

Edited by wmkjr

So, I found a new one...

From Chapter 110 of Jitsu wa Watshi wa (in English, Actually, I am...), we have a Macross Frontier reference... Aizawa apparently wants to be Ranka Lee after graduation.

post-2536-0-65685900-1454553126_thumb.jpg

This is kind of an oblique reference, but the Tactical Surface Fighter F-14 Tomcats showed up in Schwarzesmarken, and they're presented as being from the actual Jolly Rogers squadron that inspired Roy's Valkyrie. Plus, they fight the BETA with Phoenix missile spam.

Macross was cited as one of the main inspirations for Muv-Luv, so I'd count it.

post-1819-0-50423000-1454626000_thumb.jpg

post-1819-0-36157700-1454626005_thumb.jpg

post-1819-0-76228300-1454626010_thumb.jpg

post-1819-0-30302700-1454626014_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifamericantsfpilot.jpg

They did show the lead F-14 pilot in the latest episode, and lo and behold, he's a blonde guy :3

To be honest though, 99% of American characters in anime happen to be blonde. From the top of my head, the only 3 American characters I can think of that arent blonde are Dutch from Black Lagoon, Chibodee Crockett from Gundam Fighter G and Kanuka Clancy from Patlabor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, I thought about that too when I watched Schwarzesmarken. Wasn't too sure if it was the real Jlly Rogers' that were the inspiration though,

It is probably a mixture of both. The current holders of the Jolly Roger in the USN are VF-103. here is some footage of them playing with their Super Hornets....The title is WRONG so pay no attention to it..

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching a new show from this season, Myriad Colors Phantom World and came across a character name that could possibly be a homage to Macross. The main character just happens to be named Ichijo Haruhiko and uses the same kanji for the names. Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

I haven't seen the show, but it sounds like more than a coincidence!

That is surprising, I suppose they have some sort of deal those 2 papers (or are part of the same information group). It's a bit weird to have a story about a voice actress participating in a production that will not be accessible to anyone outside Japan (thanks again HG).

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/whatever-happenned-irans-super-stealth-fighter-15654

Was just reading this article about Iran's once rumored Stealth Fighter and when I went to the comment section one in particular caught my eye. It's pretty hard to miss! B))