126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Alto choose by the end?

• Ranka
    • Sheryl
    • None of them
    • Both of them

4? i recall only two, plus one potentially off-screen

Episode 5 - Kiss on cheek at the end.

Episode 10 - Surprise mouth-to-mouth kiss.

Episode 22 - Probably an off screen kiss at the very least.

Episode 24 - Big mouth-to-mouth kiss.

:rolleyes:

The translations I've seen for this episode really actually should make it pretty clear that short of Alto biting it or getting a really weird and ooc revelation, the Sheryl <-> Alto dynamic is resolved.

Edited by s-girl

Episode 5 - Kiss on cheek at the end.

Episode 10 - Surprise mouth-to-mouth kiss.

Episode 22 - Probably an off screen kiss at the very least.

Episode 24 - Big mouth-to-mouth kiss.

:rolleyes:

Ep 24 was another surprise mouth2mouth kiss. Sheryl likes stealing kisses. :angry: What made it more strange was Alto didn't seem like he enjoyed any of them as much as he should. (at least close your !@*&(! eyes?)

The translations I've seen for this episode really actually should make it pretty clear that short of Alto biting it or getting a really weird and ooc revelation, the Sheryl <-> Alto dynamic is resolved.

All the more reason to believe that Kawamori will troll and NOT give us the ending you'd expect. :wacko:

The Alto

wanting to interrupt sheryl when she said "We should stop playing lovers"

now can be interpreted as "But Sheryl I want us to be real lovers" or "Sheryl, i'm sorry but I love Ranka". The ominous scene where Sheryl cries in ep 23 saying "mou sukoshii dake" still is poking me towards Alto x Ranka. But maybe that's cause she thinks she's gonna die so will give Alto up to Ranka but will not if she lives? :wacko:

It might be possible that Alto chooses Sheryl but Sheryl rejects him due to her "soon ending life" or her continued life as galactic fairy....i dunno. :wacko:

Edited by wolfx

I tend not to read into the dialogue but am looking at the macro-context of the last few episodes.

Making choices to return to someone is significant to me. Saying that not just once, but now twice in various forms is very significant.

Then again, this is another one of those cultural values I think... We'll just have to see.

Ep 24 was another surprise mouth2mouth kiss. Sheryl likes stealing kisses. :angry: What made it more strange was Alto didn't seem like he enjoyed any of them as much as he should. (at least close your !@*&(! eyes?)
Does he look like he enjoys any kisses? He didn't exactly pucker up for Ranka in the movie scene in episode 10. :rolleyes:

The Alto

now can be interpreted as "But Sheryl I want us to be real lovers" or "Sheryl, i'm sorry but I love Ranka". The ominous scene where Sheryl cries in ep 23 saying "mou sukoshii dake" still is poking me towards Alto x Ranka. But maybe that's cause she thinks she's gonna die so will give Alto up to Ranka but will not if she lives? :wacko:

Not bloody likely at all, if you knew anything about Alto. :rolleyes:

I posted this in another forum: I can't see how Sheryl will lose in the triangle. She's just shown herself to be truly selflessly in love with Alto, and if he chooses Ranka, then who does Sheryl end up with? Or even... what does Sheryl end up with? Nothing? Or she gets her career back (back to square 1)? She dies? If Ranka loses Alto in the love triangle, she has friends and family to back her up.

Sheryl asked Alto to leave and rescue Ranka... Really, what a woman, she deserves to be loved (if not by Alto, then by the audience) <3

The Alto

now can be interpreted as "But Sheryl I want us to be real lovers" or "Sheryl, i'm sorry but I love Ranka".

Can you logically explain to my why Alto would run over to Sheryl while yelling "WAIT SHERYL, I" after Sheryl said "Let's stop pretending to be lovers" and confess his love about Ranka? Do you realize that makes absolutely no sense? This is the same Alto who said he would no longer run away in episode 23, the same Alto who told Sheryl before the kiss that people can't fly alone, oh wait let me guess he's talking about Ranka *rolls eyes*

You seem to think Sheryl's thoughts at the end of 23 have some baring on the triangle, let me let you in on a little secret, it means fart all. Misa thought she was done in Macross,

Mitsuki

thought she was done in KGNE,

Hiromi

thought she was done in True Tears,

Mao

thougth she was done in Kimikiss,

Miyako

thought she was done in Ef A Tale of Memories. Do I need to continue?

You seem to think Sheryl's thoughts at the end of 23 have some baring on the triangle, let me let you in on a little secret, it means fart all. Misa thought she was done in Macross,

Mitsuki

thought she was done in KGNE,

Hiromi

thought she was done in True Tears,

Mao

thougth she was done in Kimikiss,

Miyako

thought she was done in Ef A Tale of Memories. Do I need to continue?

...Ranka thought she was done in Macross Frontier? :D :D :D (She even did it first.) Once again, analogies fail us, and we're back to speculating without a clue in the wind.

Incidentally, shouldn't we hate Sheryl now because she isn't woman enough to think about the people of Frontier when Alto (appears to) die, and cries out his name and stops singing instead? ;) Next thing you know, she'll be working for the bad guys (Leon) and betraying humanity...

I don't have an iron in the "Ranka or Sheryl?" question, but I think it's a bit premature to say that there's only one possible resolution. Ranka hating is definitely way overblown. I think Sheryl is a more likely choice, but Kawamori could get away with twisting it to Ranka without necessarily having it be completely wrong. Granted, he'd have to do it pretty carefully.

Also, I think there's a very plausible non-partisan answer for why Alto was objecting to Sheryl trying to push him away. If he's really just acting a role to spare her before her demise, then he certainly would rush to try and reassure Sheryl that he hasn't been lying to her the whole time. Even if he has.

In the end, as hard as it might seem to fathom, I think Alto probably has strong feelings for both girls. His choice in the love triangle (if it's still up to him) may ultimately come down to practical considerations, similar to how Hikaru ended up choosing Misa in the TV series (which I still think was pretty heartless; the DYRL version was much more romantic).

Can you logically explain to my why Alto would run over to Sheryl while yelling "WAIT SHERYL, I" after Sheryl said "Let's stop pretending to be lovers" and confess his love about Ranka? Do you realize that makes absolutely no sense? This is the same Alto who said he would no longer run away in episode 23, the same Alto who told Sheryl before the kiss that people can't fly alone, oh wait let me guess he's talking about Ranka *rolls eyes*

I'll gladly explain it. The whole scenario so it's clear. :lol:

Sheryl saw through Alto which explained why she said that Alto finally realized it now, "so they should stop pretending to be lovers." Alto was surprised by her words despite of how he intended to apply it to her which explained the "Wait, Sheryl I."

Sheryl kissed Alto and said don't say anything more. Alto's face changed from a surprised expression to a sullen one. He knew what she was talking about therefore he dropped it.

"No matter what you say, I know I won't be able to sing." -- Sheryl.

It was because if Alto went ahead and said he was serious, Sheryl will know it would be a lie. If Alto said he was sorry, it's rubbing salt on wound. No matter what Alto says, Sheryl knows where his heart lies and instead of feeling rejuvenated to sing, it will lessen her resolve to sing.

"Make sure to come back, okay Alto?" -- Sheryl.

Translation: Don't die. Be careful. [No 'promise me' this time? ^_^ ]

I saw sadness in Alto's eyes but he didn't say anything. Shame on me for ever thinking this person was dense.

"Remember, a woman like this doesn't come very often." --Sheryl.

Translation: You don't know what you're missing! It's your loss, but we're still friends.

Alto smiled and agreed.

Now to solidify the blurb I said up there. Listen to Sheryl later on.

"This is fine. I have no regrets. I'll just burn ablaze. All I have now are my songs and myself." -- Sheryl

She is fine like this. She has no regrets. If Alto and Ranka's resolution goes well in episode 25, Sheryl will say the same thing in episode 23. She "knew it all along." She is not expecting Alto to come back. The kiss was a goodbye kiss from her.

Alto OTOH is still as passionate when it comes to Ranka as he has always been. He never changed. His behavior in the battlefield especially when he saw her again spoke for itself. She was the reason why he chose to fight. It is no wonder he was passionate. :lol: Ranka and Alto has a score to settle. Round 1 goes to Ranka. How about round 2? :rolleyes:

Edited by shan

You know, I really miss the days when we could have a nice conversation about Sherl and Ranka's respective merits without eye-rolling, sneering, insults, and the like.

Didn't you know? Those days were but an illusion. A fantasy conceived by your addled mind in a vain attempt to cope with the ugly truth before you.

They never truly existed. If they did, all evidence has been crushed and stomped upon by the almighty Sheryl/Ranka war machines. ^_^

There is no peaceful co-existence. There is only SHERYL.

Barring that "Bless the Little Queen"

Though the Large Breasted Resistance puts up the good, if futile, fight. ^_^

At times like this, sit back, and try to enjoy the ride.