wolfx

Who will Alto choose by the end?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Alto choose by the end?

• Ranka
    • Sheryl
    • None of them
    • Both of them

It would be an honor for any young man to hang out with someone as awesome as GARby.

Hang out with? Yes. Go shopping with? DEFINITELY. Ride on the Macross Quarter with? Of course (after having taken some Dramaine, that is).

Be a life partner to? That's a different story... :p

Jonathan Harker: Who do you think Alto will end up with?

Van Helsing: Sheryl!... and Ranka...

Jonathan Harker: Then what are you saying?

Van Helsing: I'm saying Ranka. But I'm leeeeaning towards Sheryl.

Dr. Steward: Then you're saying Sheryl.

Van Helsing: No.

Dr. Steward: Then you're saying Ranka.

Van Helsing: Not necessarily.

Jonathan Harker: You sound dubious.

Van Helsing: No -I'm positive!

Jonathan Harker: Of what?

Van Helsing: Of my theory!

Jonathan Harker: And that would be?

Van Helsing: The theory of Sheryl- or Ranka.

FV

That Alto ends up with Nanase?

I'm not sure how to respond to that...

Jokingly, I'd say, "Of course...if he knows quality when he sees it!"

More seriously, I'd say, "C'mon, does liking a female Froniter character automatically mean that you want to see Alto hook up with her? I think not."

Either way, I should probably cut Alto out of my avatar...seems to be giving people the wrong impression. ^_^

I would feel cheated if Sheryl miraculously lives at this point. There's all this build up of her living to enjoy the time she has left, not holding back, and refusing the meds. If they sellout to appease the countless Sheryl fans I'll be pissed. Keep in mind, I'm betting Alto gets no girl and goes back to acting.

The discussion between Alto, Klan around 19:25 of ep23 left me completely confused. He said he joined the SMS to protect Ranka,

but he's willing to kill her to protect Fontier

? and Klan cries a bit?... And Sheryl lets a tear go. I'm lost. Can someone spell it out for me? It looks like Sheryl kind of conceded the triangle? Or is it just of what Alto's willing to do?

I would feel cheated if Sheryl miraculously lives at this point. There's all this build up of her living to enjoy the time she has left, not holding back, and refusing the meds. If they sellout to appease the countless Sheryl fans I'll be pissed. Keep in mind, I'm betting Alto gets no girl and goes back to acting.

Well, I'm not sure but I think she will survive. Dispite the fact that everything would lead us to believe that Sheryl will die, I believe she won't because, misdirection has been the staple of this series. Remember "Good-bye Brother and Memory of Global"? Sheryl is not going to die, she might not end up with Alto, but she won't die. ^_^

The discussion between Alto, Klan around 19:25 of ep23 left me completely confused. He said he joined the SMS to protect Ranka,

but he's willing to kill her to protect Fontier

? and Klan cries a bit?... And Sheryl lets a tear go. I'm lost. Can someone spell it out for me? It looks like Sheryl kind of conceded the triangle? Or is it just of what Alto's willing to do?

It's all to tease the audience and make it anyone's game (for alto's lovers) until the very end of the episode or for me as I speculate, by ep 24 XD

I don't know what show you're watching but Sheryl hasn't exactly been enjoying herself since episode 18.

I haven't written some tl;dr for a while so I figured I'd torture MW shippers with a crosspost. Enjoy ;)

This isn't really aimed at anyone in particular but I think the tough thing when it comes to shipping is that its easy to try to justify that he's only got feelings for one girl; if you're shipping Sheryl he's only interested with Ranka as a 'little sister,' if you're shipping Ranka he's just with Sheryl right now out of pity. I don't believe either one is true... and I think Alto's actions have spoken clear as day and we're starting to see the culmination of that. Admittedly, though... I only really started to connect the dots after his confrontation with Michael... "it's a crime to be as dense as you." Michael knows that Alto is relatively aware; he's just trying to let him have the benefit of the doubt to some extent.

I'll talk about Ranka a bit first; simply because alot of people seem taken aback by the fact he acknowledged feelings for her. Aside from a big *duh* no offense, all the stuff that he said in 23 was pretty much spelled out for us in the first 4 or 5 episodes. He demanded to know more about her, and he flat out said he wanted to protect her. That was a huge part of his rationale for joining SMS. I think it's dangerous to say he used her as a crutch for "running away" though, although I think there's some truth to that. It's on par with saying Ranka is "needy" or relying on Alto's support, or that it's just a crush. The thing is, they're not mutually exclusive... Ranka and Alto were reliant on each other's support. They really brought out the best in each other, in a sense.

This is a bit of a slippery slope I'm going down; and I am a big fan of the AxS pairing... but for very, very different reasons than most. First and foremost... I know alot of people hinge on their banter... and I do see chemistry in it... but I see it as being very, very dark. If Alto and Ranka are bringing out each other's potential; initially Alto and Sheryl are bringing out the skeletons in each other's closets. There are times when Alto borders on just being cruel... and Sheryl comes off as coy and indifferent. But I see this as Alto just being confused about how he feels about both her and Ranka, and Sheryl just not wanting to admit how much she wants, and maybe even needs this. It's just compounded by the fact they're always together for a stretch from 8-12 or so.

Anyway, back to Alto... chronologically we have the first 4 or so episodes where he's all "garrrrr... Ranka!!!" and then 5 through 7 or 8 where he warms up to Sheryl. In episode 8 though... and I'm sure people in both camps would disagree with me... he just shuts down. He's indifferent to Ranka coming to Mihoshi, and he is just doesn't want to be involved when it comes to Sheryl. This isn't necessarily someone who doesn't have feelings for either girl, this is someone who's overwhelmed. By how close they are now to him, by the decision he knows he has to make... I mean take your pick, but it's probably all of the above.

I've gotten into it with people on IRC, but I think between 11 and 15 he really means to "choose" Ranka. The way he lets her "in" during 12 and 13, the fact he takes her with him to see Sheryl in the hospital, and a few more things that seem to imply he's made his decision. I've been called out on what the catharsis is that makes him "change his mind" and I can't really say. Maybe it was the sing-off, maybe it was the fact Sheryl was still sick... honestly I'm not looking at external factors. But Alto's tick or tell is that he'll go from warm to... indifferent, or even pissy pretty quickly. I tend to lean towards the opinion that he couldn't bring himself to let go of Sheryl, but it could be a number of other things. It could have been the plateau for AltoXRanka, and he saw the writing on the wall or... I don't know. I'll come back to this one when the series ends.

Anyway FF a few episodes, we get Alto climbing up to Ranka's room, Michael calling Alto, Alto... finally warming up to Sheryl. Ranka walking in on Alto hugging Sheryl, and finally Ranka's "I loved you... I wish it could have been like this forever..." goodbye. And of course Alto's "I'll be with you... until the end!"

First and foremost that's not something you say out of pity, in Japanese, English, Cantonese, Spanish, Gaelic, French Canadian, Navajo, Basque, or whathaveyou. One of the spoilers said something along the lines of "...but is this true love?" and technically it is a valid question. I was telling someone last week I expected Sheryl to keep Alto at arm's length (the implication in 23 is that she really feels he's doing this from pity) and Alto would probably have to deal with some lingering feelings regarding Ranka. I'm not a huge fan of speculating though, and this is some stuff that I'd rather take up after the series ends. But let me kind of sum up how I see AltoXRanka vs. AltoXSheryl.

I don't think Alto's feelings towards Ranka are brotherly, first and foremost. I think it's a cop out to say so; and as I said previously I think it's a mutual support they give each other. But... I think to a degree they fell in love with each other's potential, rather than as people. I think in a huge way they brought out each other's potential, but I am kind of in agreement with the consensus that they never really got to know each other well enough. I don't think that's because he was a crush to Ranka, or that Alto was using her as a crutch... really, it's just the nature of the beast in a relationship like that. The focus is on what will be, or what can be, as opposed to what is... and the line between inspiration and detriment is really pretty slim.

As far as Alto and Sheryl are concerned... I think... hrm. I think it comes down to meeting the right person, at the wrong time? Alto could see beyond his past, beyond the acting, fame, etc. in that he met Ranka and became a pilot because of her. And Sheryl was probably perfectly content as Sheryl Nome, galactic fairy, the street urchin turned idol. Again that's kind of why I don't like their early banter; there is chemistry there but it comes off as unstoppable force vs. immovable object. Sheryl's persistence vs. Alto's reluctance... the thing is Sheryl doesn't really open up and Alto just plays along, so it comes off like a cat chasing it's own tail.

No offense, but I don't see much slow + steady development in this... I really see Alto seemingly decide to go in the other direction. But the nature of a relationship like that is that it lingers... regardless of being in the completely opposite direction of where one thinks they should or want to be. The drawback right now being the baggage that they find themselves with.

The big question now is where they all go from here. I don't really feel like speculating too much, but... there's Ranka... who confessed her love on the way to deep space. Alto, who told Sheryl he'd stay by her side until the end. And Sheryl, who right now feels Alto is only with her out of pity. (shojo Frontier FTW, btw.)

There was a huge criticizm of Ranka in 20 because... she only sang for Alto. And now, in 23, we have Alto... who fought, who flew... for Ranka! What does this mean?!?!!?! Maybe he felt like she did give him something to run away to, but he just kept running... even away from her. He's not running anymore; though. Not from Sheryl, and whatever feelings may be there, from Frontier, from his family. But he's made his choices this time, and he's standing by them. What comes of that, we shall see... but... he's come a long, long way.

Damn, stray, you're making me want to rewatch the entire series with your points in mind just to make sure it all fits! :)

Off the cuff, there's a lot of truth in what you say. I think that clearly, Alto felt a strong attachment to Ranka that was more than brotherly (for all of those who say they never got to know each other better, or that Ranka never asked Alto anything about himself, I would point to the furious amount of texting in the early episodes...although, of course, we weren't privy to what most of their conversations were). I especially like your point about them falling in love with each other's potential...which of course is what a lot of high-school-age love is based around.

There is deifnitely more of a sense of competition about Sheryl and Alto for most of the show, as though Sheryl is trying to get his emotional mask to break before hers does. But there's also a lot of respect and consideration mixed in as well.

Hmm...I was already planning to rewatch the series late next week...maybe I'll start a little earlier.

I don't know what show you're watching but Sheryl hasn't exactly been enjoying herself since episode 18.

Ok, let me correct myself then. Trying to enjoy it. She doesn't want to be alone, or feel sick from the pills, or be forgotten by people. She sang for people to help lift their spirits, and her own. She's trying, although serious weight she feels from the situation is still present.

Hmm...I was already planning to rewatch the series late next week...maybe I'll start a little earlier.

I did my rewatch a little bit past the halfway point, but I'm not doing another one until the last two episodes come out. It's just too soon to be developing whole new lines of speculation, with the final two pieces so close in reach. :)

O don't know, from a moral point of view I can't see AltoxSheryl not happening, no matter what happens to Sheryl she's at a point where she has nothing, the least she deserves is "getting" Alto. And I'm not saying this because I'm a SherylxAlto fan, if the roles would have been reversed, then I would have felt the same for Ranka.

Alto will end up with Nanase, epi.23 has proven that (the hospital scene where he's kinda stared at her asset) :lol: . He doesn't deserve to end up with Sheryl or Ranka.

I agree totally!!! Alto doesn't deserve Ranka or Sheryl. Shoot, he doesn't even deserve Bobby!! :angry:

People like to throw this word around a lot, but you know what? Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

gallery_9475_104_24810.jpg

He should just choose both since Sheryl will probably die. But I think he is going to choose Ranka.

you mean he'll tell sheryl that he loves her, then take ranka to the side and whisper, hey just wait til she croaks ok, then we'll be together, ok?

wow. even Hikaru couldn't pull this off. or... could he? :mellow:

Edited by dreamweaver13

you mean he'll tell sheryl that he loves her, then take ranka to the side and whisper, hey just wait til she croaks ok, then we'll be together, ok?

wow. even Hikaru couldn't pull this off. or... could he? :mellow:

and this is when the acting skills kick in.

1 more episode to go and Sheryl fans (or ppl who think sheryl wil get the guy) out number people who think Ranka will by a whopping number of 80 vs 16.

I stand by my original vote of Ranka despite a "deceivingly" Sheryl scene on ep 24....but what can I say.... WE WILL SURVIVE!! :D

She gets everlasting glory for sacrificing her life to save the fleet.

screw that, she's dead! (damnit stop killing off the characters I like. kill luca or leon, hell kill brera. leave sheryl alown though man :angry: )

1 more episode to go and Sheryl fans (or ppl who think sheryl wil get the guy) out number people who think Ranka will by a whopping number of 80 vs 16.

I stand by my original vote of Ranka despite a "deceivingly" Sheryl scene on ep 24....but what can I say.... WE WILL SURVIVE!! :D

Won't it make you feel like special if out of the whooping 80 sheryl votes, the 16 ranka votes beat them flat out :lol: I think that'll be funny. Peace peace peace. :lol:

Well it's nice to know she's a

Nome

I believe it's plausible she will fight off her infection or do something unusual...

That and I like the fact that she's apparently the heir apparent to Basara.

Those symbolic allusions are enough to make me bet the writers are going to exploit one of those facets and make her live.