wolfx

Who will Alto choose by the end?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Alto choose by the end?

• Ranka
    • Sheryl
    • None of them
    • Both of them

I doubt it's all a flashback...unless it's actually Sheryl's life flashing before her eyes and it all fades away and Alto is there holding her and the screen fades to black as though it's her eyes closing and the credits roll with the saddest song you've ever heard...Now that's an ending, that's how I'd end a series, especially if everyone already knows the character will die, which we do. If you can make someone sad even though they've known for some time that the character was invariably going to die, then you've done a good job. My gripe is that I'm just now starting to grow attached to some of the characters and it's 22 episodes in, it feels like there were so many episodes wasted without solid development.

I DIDN'T DO IT! YOU CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING! In fact...I bet it was YOU! YOU DID IT! KILL DREAMWEAVER13!!!

Let us burn the witch!

Edited by lososaurus

I doubt it's all a flashback...unless it's actually Sheryl's life flashing before her eyes and it all fades away and Alto is there holding her and the screen fades to black as though it's her eyes closing and the credits roll with the saddest song you've ever heard...Now that's an ending, that's how I'd end a series, especially if everyone already knows the character will die, which we do. If you can make someone sad even though they've known for some time that the character was invariably going to die, then you've done a good job.

I gotta say, that would be the most depressing way you could possibly end the show, ever.

My gripe is that I'm just now starting to grow attached to some of the characters and it's 22 episodes in, it feels like there were so many episodes wasted without solid development.

well if they didn't drag out the character and plot development, they wouldn't be able to make a second season. :p

I gotta say, that would be the most depressing way you could possibly end the show, ever.

What can I say? I love the downer endings, they reinforce how much you've invested and cared about that character.

Edit: Would it be a fair balance if Alto was in his 80's and it's clear that he an Sheryl lived a long and happy life together?

well if they didn't drag out the character and plot development, they wouldn't be able to make a second season. :p

I just don't think enough was done with the time that they had because even with the time they had, a well developed antagonist wasn't really developed. We know Grace and Co. are doing something behind the scenes, but we've been in the dark too long and not enough information has come through; The Vajra aren't really very interesting villains either.

To get back on topic of who wins Alto's heart, I'm banking on Sheryl since he's finally realizing how important he is to Sheryl. That's not to say he's not important to Ranka, but the same level of need and finding 'the one' isn't there.

Edited by lososaurus

Don't know bout you guys but it looked quite clear that Alto chose Ranka in ep 23....

although he did say he will kill her if she were to endanger frontier.

Thoughts?

Wait, so you mean SK has been taking notes from J.J. Abrams?

I've been pushing the "Sheryl will die!" theory sorta jokingly, but it occurred to me there is sorta a precedent for this in Macross, with the final shot in SDFM being Misa's hand closing a photo album. (Well, I always assumed it was Misa's, at least.) Flashback 2012 also had this sort of ambiguity, although that was a pretty stylized endeavor overall.

Somehow, though, I don't think that ending would work in this day and age. I always thought it was a beautiful way to close out the series, but it really feels like it belongs to another era. It's a bit too sentimental, I suppose, and I guess physical photo albums are as old-fashioned as phonograph records now to today's generation.

Edited by DeeBot

Don't know bout you guys but it looked quite clear that Alto chose Ranka in ep 23....

Thoughts?

Ackem says no to your interpretation and he speaks the language. I trust in him. ^^

Thoughts?

Ranka does not need Alto's help to kill her. She'll kill herself. It'll happen.

;)

Alto will back out in the end in front of Ranka and will do the opposite. Save her.

Tis I'm sure. Then Anato no Oto will play and dokun everyone. Then they all live happily ever after. No I'm not being sarcastic, maybe only 30%, because we're in for a cheesy end. I can tell.

Edited by shan

I think he's right, in the end nobody winds up with anybody. They all go toward their individual destinies alone!

^_^

It looks like Alto will really go back to Kabuki after everything. There will be noone to fight with but in the stage against your rapist (Sakura-hime's rapist). :lol:

Ackem says no to your interpretation and he speaks the language. I trust in him. ^^

We'll see. ^_^

I speak it too. Besides the line "Sore ga omaye no ai ka?" is not a complicated phrase to translate.

Followed by teary eyed sheryl saying she understands and wants to be "like this" for just a little more.

Alto did not choose Ranka. I am telling you, everyone goes their own way, they each have their own destinies

Alto chose Ranka but how that will turn out might not be a simple "Alto ends up with Ranka" ending. In fact as per your theory, i think it might be the cop-out "each have their own destinies" route too....sorta like M7.

No comment. #Macrossuki has die-hard sheryl shipping ops after all so they interpret the scene to whatever way helps her.

I didn't say that Alto said he loved Ranka though. He never said that. But the scene implied that he has feelings for Ranka far from the ordinary friend and he feels responsible for her.

But like i said in the other threads, this might turn another 360 degrees with the next episode. I'm just basing it on what was said this current episode.

No comment. #Macrossuki has die-hard sheryl shipping ops after all so they interpret the scene to whatever way helps her.

I didn't say that Alto said he loved Ranka though. He never said that. But the scene implied that he has feelings for Ranka far from the ordinary friend and he feels responsible for her.

But like i said in the other threads, this might turn another 360 degrees with the next episode. I'm just basing it on what was said this current episode.

Dont you mean 180? 360 is a full circle.

I don't know if some variation of my theory has been mentioned before, but I'm going with the syrupy sweet ending. Sheryl and Alto get together in the end, Ranka uses her Vajra powers to cure Sheryl and take the Vajra away so Frontier can colonize the planet. Can't get more Disney than that :p

I don't know if some variation of my theory has been mentioned before, but I'm going with the syrupy sweet ending. Sheryl and Alto get together in the end, Ranka uses her Vajra powers to cure Sheryl and take the Vajra away so Frontier can colonize the planet. Can't get more Disney than that :p

You are probably right.

we have to wait 2 weeks for the last episode but still am hoping for an AltoXSheryl ending since, even the opening and ending songs are from Sheryl's pov hehehe XD

and I am hoping for a reaffirmation of "what really happened" in episode 22+23 regarding the triangle (hoping as early as ep 24 XD).

Edited by shinkirou

Alto will end up with Nanase, epi.23 has proven that (the hospital scene where he's kinda stared at her asset) :lol: . He doesn't deserve to end up with Sheryl or Ranka.

I agree totally!!! Alto doesn't deserve Ranka or Sheryl. Shoot, he doesn't even deserve Bobby!! :angry:

Are you implying that Nanase is less than Ranka or Sheryl, or even Bobby?

If so, you clearly have no taste. :p

Have you seen a serious triangle where the male lead didn't have feelings for both girls? You know that's why they tend to be so indecisive :lol:

so the triangle will really have a definitive/implied end by episode 25 of macross frontier where he chooses someone <--- this is what you're implying right? XD

It definitely should, of course some people think it's going to remain inconclusive like Macross 7 even though the romantic focus here is way above what they did in Macross 7 and nearly every other aspect of the show has suffered due to the prominence of the triangle.

Ok, wild theory time:

Sheryl is a clone of Ranshe, look at the screen caps, her face and body type are quite close to Ranshe, too close to be coincidence in my opinion. Of course if she is a clone, who created her? Grace of course, as a tool to destroy the Varja, or whatever he ultimate goal is. Grace has manipulated Sheryl's whole life, the one thing she did not count on was Sheryl contracting the V-type infection, perhaps from a contaminated tissue sample. Now we know that Ranka as Ranshe's daughter is somehow immune to the V-type infection, despite the fact that it seems she is some sort of carrier, which means that she has anti-bodies to the disease from which, dun dun dun, a cure can be synthisized. Waves hope flag for Sheryl. There is a huge spoiler for this right in the openning where we see deadish looking Sheryl sinking into the concrete with multiple red ribbons trailing off her body, as well as her singing along with Ranka. In the end she and Ranka will team up to help bring peace and Ranka will grow up enough to allow them to make a cure for Sheryl. At that point I think that Alto will likely go with Sheryl, Ranka will still be too immature for him, and I think as much as he loves Ranka, it is much more of a big brotherly affection, his heart belongs to Sheryl. But then this anime has caught me flatfooted, which doesn't happen very often, and is very well written so my guesses could be way off base.

Alto is too indecisive to end up with either Ranka or Sheryl. So in the end, he'll lose both, then he'll "sort of" go back to kabuki (while still holding a position in NUNS and STILL wearing the SMS uniform, because he's so indecisive!). Alto will then dress up like a Kabuki and be his own woman in the final frame. THE END!