Video Games that SHOULD be turned into movies......

taksraven

IMO, no video games should be made into movies.

And why do we even call them 'video games'?

I much prefer the HK-English term 'TV games', as we play them on our TVs, not on our VCRs.

But what about the ones we DON'T play on TVs?

Handheld systems, computers, arcade machines?

They're called video games because they use video displays instead of fixed pattern displays(Game&Watch and Speak&Spell are both examples of this, though hardly the first) or text printouts.

Yes, some of the earliest computer games used printers for output, most notably Trek. As you might imagine, this was not popular with the people paying for the paper the mainframes were chewing through.

Ralph Baer argues that only games connected to actual raster-scan televisions are video games.

His definition has problems, both for the obvious reason of it's not what everyone else means(is Asteroids a video game? How about the Gameboy? Baer says no) and that it makes the nature of your game change with what you're displaying it on.

For example, while my XBox is connected to my LCD computer monitor, I'm playing computer games. But when I take it to the living room and hook it into the slightly-aged CRT TV, the exact same games BECOME video games.

By the same token, if you hook his ancient Odyssey prototypes up to a modern LCD TV, they AREN'T VIDEO GAMEs ANYMORE.

He's just bitter that Computer Space beat the Odyssey to market, that Space War predates the Odyssey even further, that several other games predate even his earliest unbuilt design sketches, and that the Odyssey, despite being the very first home video game*, was a COLOSSAL FAILURE.

*Or first video game, that thing Pong TOTALLY ripped off, everyone else sucks neener neener neener, as Baer insists.

I usually use the terms 'TV games' (HK-English) or 'console games' for stuff like Playstation, X-Box etc.

'Handheld games' for PSP, gameboy etc

'Arcade games' for well, arcade games.

And computer games for any game played on a computer.

If you say 'video games' here in HK, most people would just look at you blankly.

Graham

Ok, someone busted out with Excite bike and I saw Pac-Man earlier... You guys are just naming every game you can think of. Those two games are as interesting as combing my pubes.

I really think Hollywood should stay far far away from VG franchises especially good ones. Things like Half-Life or Mass Effect don't need a movie version. The format they are in has become a perfectly viable method to tell the specific stories. Also for some massive game like Mass Effect or to cover the entire Half-Life story, you'd need to do multiple movies and quite frankly do you really need to see actors in something you've already experienced? Books are a little different since one is a visual media where the other isn't. Hollywood needs to leave games alone. Just my two cents.

You are probably right, but as it says at the start of the thread, they are going to make them anyway whether we like it or not so they should do good ones.

Taksraven

IMO, no video games should be made into movies.

And why do we even call them 'video games'?

I much prefer the HK-English term 'TV games', as we play them on our TVs, not on our VCRs.

Graham

I always thought that a more accurate term was "computer games" but this term seems to have fallen out of fashion in recent years.

Taksraven

how about Warhammer 40k?

i'd like to see a "power armor" movie done right at least once.

they could build actual suits or paste real actor heads on CG suits. :lol:

it would be awesome! as long as the likes of Boll, Anderson & Bay stay the hell away from it.

it could be workable. you can take a slice out of existing continuity so you don't anger hordes of fans by ruining canon.

you'd have your generic sci-fi story (us vs them, while saving a planet/splitting a planet), you'd have a background story for the sake of explaining things for the intelligent viewer, & tons of 'splosions & shooty for the remaining target audience.

plus they can cook up a new Space Marine chapter so they can't (un)intentionally insult anybody.

summer blockbuster for 200x ! we can't lose ! :lol:

I also think that some of the old Commodore Amiga games have potential, such as Carrier Command (where my nickname kind of came from, shhhhhhhh!) and Starglider 2. Other great games that would convert well would be anything by Cinemaware, especially the "It came from the desert" series.

Taksraven

How about "POSTAL".... oh hang on a sec..... ;)

(its not actually that bad for a Uwe Boll movie. Just had next to nothing to do with the game)

Did Postal ever get a proper release in the states. I heard that they were having problems.

Taksraven

Actually, Fallout is a very cinematic series of games. They could have R. Lee Ermey AND Ron Perlman in it since they both have roles in the games. That would be BRILLIANT!!!!

Taksraven

Come on, there are plenty of games out there that should be on the big screen if they insist. Games with more plot and interesting storylines than the likes of DOOM.

My quick picks for adaptations that would have potential:

MANHUNT - Hollywood loves violence and horror. It would be great.

Soldier of Fortune - A new Rambo for the 21st century. (With cooler guns than Rambo)

Baldurs Gate series - Could be done cheaper than LOTR and would be interesting.

Anybody else got any suggestions??

Taksraven

Hope there are megadrive fans out there - I'll pay to watch Langrisser II (Warsong) or Herzog Zwei !! These are just classic games! :)

Mechwarrior could be alot of fun, and I'd love to see some Castlevania movies... well choreographed with alot of whip-play (and sword play for the inevitable SOTN) and some seriously well done high-gothic costume and set work could make it some serious fun.

Sadly mechwarrior has slipped pretty far from most people's memory... I think I could enjoy a Halflife movie.