Macross 7: First time to view the series

Lethalzero

When I look back on Macross 7 I don't think you're suppose to identify with Basara at all but everyone else around him instead. Granted he's one of the main characters you don't really get an insight into him when viewing just him alone. I know for me I understood Mylene and Gamlin a lot more and saw things through their eyes until the end when Basara started to make sense. Even then it was mainly as a result of how the other characters saw him.

I think this in a large part is why some might not be able to get into the series or the character. Now this might not have been the intent and I could be viewing the whole thing wrong. My advice is just don't try to follow Basara as the main character and your eyes into the series. Use Mylene and Gamlin for that.

Personally I didn't like Basara until Gamlin did.

I think that's exactly what the writers had in mind, and years and years ago I made a similar post. Gamlin, Mylene and the others are having the same reaction to Basara's antics as the viewer, so it is they that we are supposed to relate to, and we come to understand Basara's behaviour through their experiences.

Personally, I don't know whether to call Macross 7 a brilliant anime or a horrible one. Because in reality, Macross 7 culture shocked us.

I still remember when I was younger, I first discovered Macross through Robotech when it ran on Toonami. I loved it so much and I wanted to see more. Then I was absolutely floored by Macross Plus (the movie version) and I enjoyed every minute of it. Hell, I even liked Macross II. I remember seeing posters of Macross 7 and I thought it looked pretty interesting. I dug the character and mecha designs (espeically Basara's VF-19 Fire VF) My very first experience with it was the movie....

"WTF is this crap?!"

That was my first reaction. Where the story? Where's the high-flying drama, romance and character development? All we got was an anime where the main character wanders around and fights sentai villains with the power of music. I pretty much reacted the same way the Zentredi did when they were introduced to Earth culture. I guess that was just one point M7 was trying to make. It wasn't the Macross we once knew, it wasn't anything close to it. It was a huge departure from the more mature stories of SDFM and Plus. It was like taking Macross and having a 5 year old tell the rest of the story and draw with crayons all over it. It as especially jarring watching this right after Macross Plus.

Granted, Macross 7 is easily the most light-hearted entry of the series, however the laid-back nature of the show being extended for such a long time made it tough for me to watch. I probably would have liked it more if it mixed the crazy antics of Firebomber along with the more tension-filled action packed heroics of SDFM and Plus. But I guess any of the latter wouldn't have went with Basara's philosophy..... :mellow:

The production quality also kind of took me out of it, I can't remember any of the action sequences because they were so stale, and despite the great music of Firebomber they repeated stuff way too much. I also wished it had an original BGM score. Recycling stuff from II and Plus sort of cheapened things for me.

Still despite all that Macross 7 has proably one of the best Openings I've seen out of any anime. My jaw actually dropped when I saw the opening CGI shot of Basara looking over City 7, revealing itself to be a ship in space as the title appears on-screen. (It looked every bit as badass as Macross Plus) I love "Seventh Moon" and the visuals themselves just seemed to ooze a certain style that I felt the show itself lacked.

However, I guess Macross 7 can be good if you approach it the right way. I think it makes a lot of sense to have a story where the secondary characters are changed by the main one. And I guess like Minmay, it needs to take time to win us over much like the she did with the Zentraedi in Space War I. However, to me that made the show much less accessible compared to the others. (Even the best episodes of the show made me go "Meh.") However, I'll give it some credit, because it culture shocked us, much like Basara did to the main cast. In a way, it is a bit clever in that aspect.

Overall, I still think Macross 7 will never have the same rewatch quality that SDFM, Plus and Frontier did. But it's all a matter of taste....

Macross 7 the Movie that reignited my passion for Macross again. It kinda shocking to see a galactic rock superstar riding a kick arse customised Valkyrie, tended to his young fan a world away, & do a love duet with a Zentraedi songstress in a FRIGGIN' Quadlunn-Rau custom! Hell, battling a Godzilla-cosuin that is Protodeviln with a song duet by both Emillia & Basara kinda put a culture shock into me!

Sure, Macross 7 series pretty hard to churn in, but after repeated viewing & countless Basara's preaching, the Fire in you will keep on burning! YEAH, BOMBAAAAAAA!

Then there's Dynamite, which has a DYNAMITE ENDING!

Of all Macross installments, Mac 7 will always has a special place in my heart.

Well given naration of The Galaxy is Calling Me that wave motions can be detected.

In 2046 Sound Energy is discovered. Energy produced by one singing with one's heart.

Which makes me think on how both Sheryl and Ranka managed to beat Grace's control of the Vajra.

It was done with both Song Energy and Fold Waves.

Sheryl and Ranka now goings among the ranks of Myung, Basara and Mylene who free people from mind control through song.

Also it makes me think the dimensional irregularity said by Dr. Chiba was a fold wave generated by Emilia's singing.

Who knows maybe there is a reason why Millia's name is millia.

Millia appears on the lyrics of Aimo like Ranka.

Show me someone who hates episodes 43 and 44, and I'll show you someone who's not a Macross fan. ^_^

Not true.. I saw all of M7 and every single episode sucked on its own, it didn't only suck as a whole show. I love DYRL so much I would set someone on fire to show my love for it...

Not true.. I saw all of M7 and every single episode sucked on its own, it didn't only suck as a whole show. I love DYRL so much I would set someone on fire to show my love for it...

Max in a VF-22 didn't put a smile on your face? :blink:

Wow...I knew you hated Macross 7, but that's just...wow.

Okay, I guess I stand corrected:

Show me someone who hates episodes 43 and 44, and I'll show you someone who's not a Macross fan...unless his name is Agent ONE. ^_^

I'm watching it at the moment, currently on episode 16 and so far it's alright. What I can't stand is Basara's way of fighting, you got a a VF-19 and all your doing is singing in it, he even stops Mylene from blasting the enemy. What the ****!? Isamu needs to smack him across the face and show him how singing 24/7 won't get you anywhere..

I don't even get how he is avoiding all those attacks in battle by simply playing with his guitar.

And good god I hate the music so much, I'm alright with it at first but dammit hearing the same tune in every episode is just piss off.

The idea was probably to imitate DYRL through out show due to the time period (our time period of music) and I think it's done badly.

Let alone that the story and character development of the Jenius family and Gamlin, I can tolerate that. So far its starting to even out for me, so I don't hate it.

Excuse my rant but I think it needed to come out. :p

Basara's a committed pacifist. It takes a lot of guts to stick to that position, even in the worst of situations--it's easy to be a pacifist when everything is going great and everyone is getting along. I think a lot of viewers who are turned off by Basara and Macross 7 get frustrated by situations where violence seems to be an easy answer to the problems facing the protagonists. The thing is, it only seems to be an easy answer.

I'm watching it at the moment, currently on episode 16 and so far it's alright. What I can't stand is Basara's way of fighting, you got a a VF-19 and all your doing is singing in it, he even stops Mylene from blasting the enemy. What the ****!? Isamu needs to smack him across the face and show him how singing 24/7 won't get you anywhere..

I don't even get how he is avoiding all those attacks in battle by simply playing with his guitar.

And good god I hate the music so much, I'm alright with it at first but dammit hearing the same tune in every episode is just piss off.

The idea was probably to imitate DYRL through out show due to the time period (our time period of music) and I think it's done badly.

Let alone that the story and character development of the Jenius family and Gamlin, I can tolerate that. So far its starting to even out for me, so I don't hate it.

Excuse my rant but I think it needed to come out. :p

You'll find as you go on that they do vary the music more in the later episodes of the series. It's one thing I don't understand about the show, though...there are full Fire Bomber ALBUMS with tons of songs, and yet they keep playing Planet Dance and Totsugeki Loveheart?

As for your other complaints, they'll get addressed. Let's just say that while Isamu might be able to survive against the real enemy, but he wouldn't be able to beat them...

You are suppose to sympatize with Gamlin, Mylene, Max, Millia, Chiba etc.

As Veffidas said you can't rationalize with a guy like Basara.

Even Col. Barton doesn't get it.

Basara is the polar opposite of many characters in Macross.

For example Kaifun who is a hypocrite, he says he doen't like war when in fact he only hates the military and any authority figure. He's utterly a useless baggage when faced with reality.

Basara doesn't hate anybody in fact he loves everybody. His singing right into the middle of the battle show he is not a hypocrite.

Another is Isamu who is bat poo crazy in a Valkyrie. Basara is just as daring and reckless but doesn't kill. Like Batman.

As yes Hikaru dumb as a door knob when it comes to women. Basara is worse. But he doesn't get troubled and mope about it like Hikaru.

Max said he was better than Basara when he was that age. But from Gamlin's opinion Basara's piloting skill could surpass Max.

Max had to woe one Meltran. Basara made one giant Jenius daughter and a fleet of Meltrans lead by Millia's rival fall for him with his flying skill and singing.

Roy was a womanizer. Basara had tons of them even a devoted flower girl but he doesn't do anything with them.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I sympathized with Basara right away, instantly marathoned the whole half of the series I had at the time, while ordering the rest of it immeidately :) Good times.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I sympathized with Basara right away, instantly marathoned the whole half of the series I had at the time, while ordering the rest of it immeidately smile.gif Good times.

Agree with this sentiment.

Macross 7 is so wonderfully long that it SHOULD be watched in marathon time. Take 3 days off and just do nothing but drink beer and eat pizza while watching Macross 7 - that's the best way to go.

Pete

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I sympathized with Basara right away, instantly marathoned the whole half of the series I had at the time, while ordering the rest of it immeidately :) Good times.

Agree with this sentiment.

Macross 7 is so wonderfully long that it SHOULD be watched in marathon time. Take 3 days off and just do nothing but drink beer and eat pizza while watching Macross 7 - that's the best way to go.

Pete

Thirded! BOMBAAAAA!!

Fourthed!

I say we celebrate with a song!

Saza hajimaruze SATURDAY NIGHT

Choshi ha dodai, LET'S STAND UP.

BEAT wo kanjirukai

I'm with you guys B)) :

LET'S GO

To the daybreak when I watched it in the dream that might keep on being in sight

It is longer

If there is the love that will become MAYBE somehow; even as for when

It is the thing that is simple if I hear my song [listEN TO MY SONG]ï¼»IT'S SO EASYï¼½

To let two heart cross

★ Put love heart thought to burn to run in a night sky, and shoot it down, and love heart takes straight sorrow and hatred on your chest; and is charge love heart to the distance of Destiny hundreds of millions of light-year

If the LET'S DANCE stars wave a singing wing to be able to lengthen for an instant; ROCK WITH ME

Because I graze BABY what, do not separate the hand

I hear my song [listEN TO MY SONG] and do appearance of power [iT'S SO EASY] and must not give up till the last

☆ Overflow the telepathy that I draw a love heart downright trace to run by tomorrow and scatter the palpitation and a smile, and a love heart spark seems to be scattered to in all hearts, yearning is streamline charge love heart

★ ☆Repetition

Okay so I am actually going to watch this series finally. I have a question that wasn't answered anywhere in this thread. After the 49 episodes there were two OVAs and a Movie. What was the release order of those? I want to watch this series as if I was there when they came out.

Okay so I am actually going to watch this series finally. I have a question that wasn't answered anywhere in this thread. After the 49 episodes there were two OVAs and a Movie. What was the release order of those? I want to watch this series as if I was there when they came out.

basically, it's like this:

1. Macross 7 TV series (49 Episodes)

2. Macross 7 Movie: The Galaxy Is Calling Me (released after the series, but set sometime during the last quarter of it)

3. Macross 7 Encore (2 episodes, plus "Fleet of the Strongest Women," which you can watch before or after the other two episodes, since "FotSW" ends with a preview for Encore episode 1, but Encore episode 2 ends with a preview for "FotSW." All of them are set sometime during the series as well.)

4. Macross Dynamite 7 (Set more than a year after the series)

basically, it's like this:

1. Macross 7 TV series (49 Episodes)

2. Macross 7 Movie: The Galaxy Is Calling Me (released after the series, but set sometime during the last quarter of it)

3. Macross 7 Encore (2 episodes, plus "Fleet of the Strongest Women," which you can watch before or after the other two episodes, since "FotSW" ends with a preview for Encore episode 1, but Encore episode 2 ends with a preview for "FotSW." All of them are set sometime during the series as well.)

4. Macross Dynamite 7 (Set more than a year after the series)

Thank you very much. I hope I can get through this series. I really want to. Its the only thing Macross I haven't seen. Must complete the set.

with how often this thread pops out i would have imagine that one would have been already pin and new guys redirected to it.

As much as i enjoyed Seven i would have to say just skip it.

Im kinda with richter on this, anybody new to macross stay away from 7 until you watch all the other series and ova's. Then....then you can watch the mind blowing experience that is Macross 7. Always seems to work out better that way for some reason. Oh and watching mac7 in 3 days isnt for the faint of heart, your brains may just melt from too much awesome in such a small time.

with how often this thread pops out i would have imagine that one would have been already pin and new guys redirected to it.

As much as i enjoyed Seven i would have to say just skip it.

I wouldn't go that far...it does take some getting used to, and it took a while before I could really appreciate it; but still some people really, really like it.

I think the biggest problem is that the early episodes are the weakest, so a lot of people never get to the point where they find out whether they like it or not...they just watch the first six or seven episodes, say "Well, this sucks," and give up, which is kind of a shame.

The bonus episodes & movie fit into the chronology in this order.

41-A On Stage

41-B Which One Do You Love?

41-C Fleet of the Strongest Women

42-A The Galaxy Is Calling Me

Question: Fleet of Basara Fan occurs after Mac7 TV or somewhere in between?

Here's the thing I've noticed, people who mistakenly thing Macross is SERIOUS BUISNESS end up hating Macross 7, and are same people that incessantly bitched about the lighthearted elements of Frontier. Hell, they'd probably hate the original series too if they were to watch it without nostalgia goggles.

If you can't stand a show with an over the top plot, characters, and weapons; you might as well just skip it. Walk into it with the same expectations of realism you'd have for a super robot show and you'll understand why so many people love the poo out of it.

Here's the thing I've noticed, people who mistakenly thing Macross is SERIOUS BUISNESS end up hating Macross 7, and are same people that incessantly bitched about the lighthearted elements of Frontier. Hell, they'd probably hate the original series too if they were to watch it without nostalgia goggles.

If you can't stand a show with an over the top plot, characters, and weapons; you might as well just skip it. Walk into it with the same expectations of realism you'd have for a super robot show and you'll understand why so many people love the poo out of it.

Yeah....no. My user name is a Super Robot. That's got nothing to do with why I dislike M7. As I said before, the previous pre-banned A1 can speak for me when it comes to Macross 7.

In between. Watch the final episode and Macross Dynamite 7 OVA which is post Macross 7 you'll figure it out that a certain ship is still there.

I actually never noticed that... you mean to tell me Basara's meltran fangirls followed him even beyond the climactic final battle?