Macross Frontier Episode 22 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Ratings?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 22 rating?

• Positive (I say we MDE the Vajra from orbit. Only way to be sure.)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (Ranka is a self-centered b*tch. Sheryl will die of Space AIDS)

Technically he didn't. :D It was some other VF that since just after he says the line "too bad" the next scene is a graphic of an HUD locking-on to some targets and then comes next a regular VF-171EX firing some missiles.

I'll try and get some pics of that scene. :)

This is where I'm confused. What affiliation does Alto and Lucca have now? It was my understanding that they were part of SMS? Why didn't get the message on their cell phones too? Would it not have been a simple matter of talking to those two and tell them what went down with regards to the president and why they are leaving Frontier? Now there is just this huge misunderstanding. :wacko:

This is where I'm confused. What affiliation does Alto and Lucca have now? It was my understanding that they were part of SMS? Why didn't get the message on their cell phones too? Would it not have been a simple matter of talking to those two and tell them what went down with regards to the president and why they are leaving Frontier? Now there is just this huge misunderstanding. :wacko:

I think that Alto and Luca are now NUNS, because the Captain said that the SMS was being dissolved and replaced with the NUNS. Alto and Luca recieved the phone message, however they both choose to remain behind. I don't know if the message explained the entire situation, I don't think it did given the fact that during the combat scene neither Ozma or Alto mentions anything about it.

Edited by aerocombatpilot

What an episode, wow. Just finished the GG sub. The scene that got me was the captain showing that he doesn't just look like an older version of Harlock but he's the real deal by pulling off an Arcadia. Great homage to the lift off scene in "Waga seishun no Arcadia"/"Arcadia of my youth". Klan watching like queen Esmeraldas did. Even the music used is a perfect interpretation of the original. This scene alone already made the episode for me.

For the rest some nice developments as the story kicks in high gear. So many things happen. Frontier seems to be running towards a spectacular finale.

i think the text message included only that sms was being dissolved to be absorbed to nuns and they may choose to stay or go with the new sms as space pirates.

no more need for a leon mishima assassinated the former president message as even ozma pointed out that he just doesn't feel protecting the likes of leon instead of leon cannot be trusted since he killed the former president.

i think the series will end like macross zero though hehe XD

ranka will take the place of sara nome in birdman ahehehe

I think that Alto and Luca are now NUNS, because the Captain said that the SMS was being dissolved and replaced with the NUNS. Alto and Luca recieved the phone message, however they both choose to remain behind. I don't know if the message explained the entire situation, I don't think it did given the fact that during the combat scene neither Ozma or Alto mentions anything about it.

the message content will likely be touched on in the recap at the start of next episode. I am quite certain it mentioned nothing about mishima being the leader of the coup and asassination. if it had, I really dont think alto and luca neither of whom are likely to have any idea of mishama's plot) would have stayed behind - at least they would not have joined NUNS. matter of fact, I am of the opinion that if the message had spelled everything out, alto would likely have taken sheryl with him aboard the quarter, even if she was kicking and screaming in protest.

Edited by Shaka_Z

Their fansubs, their rules? They are a speed subber; lots of other groups out there who provide avis. Personally, I don't mind. They do this stuff for free and on their own time. Why should I complain? Like I said, lots of other groups out there.

I totally agree with you, these fansubbers are contributing a lot to the anime community and at their own time. They are doing out of their passion and fandom. Bravo fansubbers ! Keep it up ! :)

the message content will likely be touched on in the recap at the start of next episode. I am quite certain it mentioned nothing about mishima being the leader of the coup and asassination. if it had, I really dont think alto and luca neither of whom are likely to have any idea of mishama's plot) would have stayed behind - at least they would not have joined NUNS. matter of fact, I am of the opinion that if the message had spelled everything out, alto would likely have taken sheryl with him aboard the quarter, even if she was kicking and screaming in protest.

I don't think Alto cares about the political situation on Frontier that he would rather go with the Quarter just because Leon assasinated Howard Glass. Who is Glass to him? Just a leader figurehead, it doesn't matter who's sitting on that chair. Luca on the other hand knows most of Leon's plot and is still going ahead with his plans (to protect nanase). I guess this is an example of the end justifies the means.

Quarter's situation is a hard one now....everyone on Frontier probably views them as terrorists. Who would change the perception of the public, none other then Ranka Lee on the Macross Quarter. The stage/bridge on the Frontier was initially set up by Grace but still not used yet...probably for Ranka later on to "emulate" to the Vajra?

Sheryl would have never left since she cares a lot for the ppl of Frontier and all her singing is for them now. Alto understood this, and respected her decision, but paid the price in return (stayed)...

I don't think Alto cares about the political situation on Frontier that he would rather go with the Quarter just because Leon assasinated Howard Glass. Who is Glass to him? Just a leader figurehead, it doesn't matter who's sitting on that chair.

Perhaps Alto actually thinks that Leon is an usurper, but he just loves/cares for Sheryl so much now that he was willing to sacrify justice to protect her... Maybe that's why he screamed in the end too... :huh:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I don't think Alto cares about the political situation on Frontier that he would rather go with the Quarter just because Leon assasinated Howard Glass. Who is Glass to him? Just a leader figurehead, it doesn't matter who's sitting on that chair. Luca on the other hand knows most of Leon's plot and is still going ahead with his plans (to protect nanase). I guess this is an example of the end justifies the means.

Quarter's situation is a hard one now....everyone on Frontier probably views them as terrorists. Who would change the perception of the public, none other then Ranka Lee on the Macross Quarter. The stage/bridge on the Frontier was initially set up by Grace but still not used yet...probably for Ranka later on to "emulate" to the Vajra?

Sheryl will probably be the one on the stage/bridge of the Frontier doing her "minmay" number. Her song will most likely not affect the Vajra to a great degree, to which the SMS will return with Ranka and by a 'duet' be able to bring an end to the war...at least I think so. ^_^

They did get the messages on their cellphones. Alto just turned his off when Sheryl woke up, then checked after their little scenes together. Klan also checked next to Michel's grave, and well I don't remember about Luca, but doubt he would care at this point. 70% of the SMS personal responded to the messages sent out, the other 30% stayed on frontier.

Sheryl would have never left since she cares a lot for the ppl of Frontier and all her singing is for them now. Alto understood this, and respected her decision, but paid the price in return (stayed)...

it's all speculation anyway, but Sheryl would probably see the greater good in her going on the quarter if the situation were fully explained to her. in any case I dont expect Alto or luca (much as I dislike luca, I dont think he was aware of or would have had any part in the coup) to be on shooting terms with the quarter for long.

Perhaps Alto actually thinks that Leon is an usurper, but he just loves/cares for Sheryl so much now that he was willing to sacrify justice to protect her... Maybe that's why he screamed in the end too... :huh:

true I doubt he cares at all about the political situation... these last few eps are certainly going to be interesting.

it's all speculation anyway, but Sheryl would probably see the greater good in her going on the quarter if the situation were fully explained to her. in any case I dont expect Alto or luca (much as I dislike luca, I dont think he was aware of or would have had any part in the coup) to be on shooting terms with the quarter for long.

true I doubt he cares at all about the political situation... these last few eps are certainly going to be interesting.

agreed!!

Yes but only 3 more episodes to go. way too few episodes, hope they do not mess up the flow. On another note,

I am looking forward to learn the ties between the protoculture and the vajra next episode

:)

What an episode, wow. Just finished the GG sub. The scene that got me was the captain showing that he doesn't just look like an older version of Harlock but he's the real deal by pulling off an Arcadia. Great homage to the lift off scene in "Waga seishun no Arcadia"/"Arcadia of my youth". Klan watching like queen Esmeraldas did. Even the music used is a perfect interpretation of the original. This scene alone already made the episode for me.

For the rest some nice developments as the story kicks in high gear. So many things happen. Frontier seems to be running towards a spectacular finale.

Wow, I missed that as being a tribute. It's been a long time since I've seen that movie.

It was an awesome scene.

so...what's Brera Sterne rank? Major or Lt. Commander????????

This question keeps popping up whenever people has question about the translation for the rank of Roy or Misa...

Shōsa (少佐 in Kanji) is the rank equivalent to both Major or Lt. Commander during the days of Imperial Japan. The confusion comes because Imperial Japanese Army and Navy both have Shōsa rank. Only in the situation where the distinguish the service becomes necessary, Army (Rikugun) or Naval (Kaigun) was added before "Shōsa" (there was no Imperial Japan Air Force).

There is no modern translation of Shōsa in Japan nowadays since Japanese Self Defense Force no longer have Shōsa rank. So it is really up to translator how to interpret Shōsa rank in UN Spacy. Since UN Spacy is more like Navy, I would choose Lt. Commander.

Super Ostrich

I don't think Alto cares about the political situation on Frontier that he would rather go with the Quarter just because Leon assasinated Howard Glass.

I think, at the time, he only cared about Sheryl and where she is right then and there.

There is no modern translation of Shōsa in Japan nowadays since Japanese Self Defense Force no longer have Shōsa rank. So it is really up to translator how to interpret Shōsa rank in UN Spacy. Since UN Spacy is more like Navy, I would choose Lt. Commander.

Actually, I would say they use JASDF ranks.

i think the series will end like macross zero though hehe XD

ranka will take the place of sara nome in birdman ahehehe

More like Sheryl dies and in the end Shin I mean Alto and Ghost Sheryl fly off into the sunset in a destroyed VF-25 with contrails of feathers. :lol:

and at that point I'll never watch macross again. :mellow:

Seriously though, I'm starting to get a little worried about where the show is going. With only 3 episodes to go it feels like there are too many questions to answer in such a short amount of time. The show's either going to end up like zero and have a completely "wha?" ending with lots of unanswered questions, or they're going to throw out a bunch of cheap cop-out answers so they can end it (which will utterly suck).

Course maybe they're setting up for a second season or an OVA . :ph34r:

More like Sheryl dies and in the end Shin I mean Alto and Ghost Sheryl fly off into the sunset in a destroyed VF-25 with contrails of feathers. :lol:

and at that point I'll never watch macross again. :mellow:

Hey, it's better ending than VFTF-1's "Basara flies out of nowhere, singing, and the Vajra Inner Beauty Men come out of their lobster shells" ending...

And I'll admit it; I'm a little nervous about the end. There is A LOT to tie up, and they've got basically 75 minutes to do it.

Which, really, is probably enough time, if they use it well.

This question keeps popping up whenever people has question about the translation for the rank of Roy or Misa...

Shōsa (少佐 in Kanji) is the rank equivalent to both Major or Lt. Commander during the days of Imperial Japan. The confusion comes because Imperial Japanese Army and Navy both have Shōsa rank. Only in the situation where the distinguish the service becomes necessary, Army (Rikugun) or Naval (Kaigun) was added before "Shōsa" (there was no Imperial Japan Air Force).

Super Ostrich

sweet, thanks for this info...

It seems all of the remaining big questions are being set up to be answered and it will come down to people learning whether or not they made the right decisions. I think everyone who doesn't understand why Captain Wilder, Ozma, and company stole the Quarter, and the people angry at Ranka for helping Ai-kun escape back to the Vajra, are going to be shocked at the ending.

Hey, it's better ending than VFTF-1's "Basara flies out of nowhere, singing, and the Vajra Inner Beauty Men come out of their lobster shells" ending...

And I'll admit it; I'm a little nervous about the end. There is A LOT to tie up, and they've got basically 75 minutes to do it.

Which, really, is probably enough time, if they use it well.

True, but when has Frontier ever used it's time well? :rolleyes:

It seems all of the remaining big questions are being set up to be answered and it will come down to people learning whether or not they made the right decisions. I think everyone who doesn't understand why Captain Wilder, Ozma, and company stole the Quarter, and the people angry at Ranka for helping Ai-kun escape back to the Vajra, are going to be shocked at the ending.

I agree completely.

True, but when has Frontier ever used it's time well? :rolleyes:

Um...every time there's a shower scene...? :lol:

Yep. Retcon originally consisted in filling the gaps :p

See wikipedia for an explanation. The term has more than one meaning.

FV

Well actually according to the Wiki, retcon originally meant what I thought. The term was eventually co-opted to include other descriptions. Which is common in pop culture these days... :rolleyes:

I actually see this series ending with the mystery of the Vajra's origins solved, the Quarter remaining a pirate fleet, Grace killing Leon in the absolute most painful way possible, Ranka dying, Sheryl alive with Alto, but still terminally ill, and much else left open for some future series to carry on, though not with the same characters or fleet. That afterall is the Kawamori way!

I actually see this series ending with the mystery of the Vajra's origins solved, the Quarter remaining a pirate fleet, Grace killing Leon in the absolute most painful way possible, Sheryl dying, Ranka alive with Alto, but still terminally cute, and much else left open for some future series to carry on, though not with the same characters or fleet. That afterall is the Kawamori way!

FIX'D. ^_^

Whatever the outcome, I really doubt that Ranka will be the dead one. Japan loves their moe characters. Its interesting to note that the Japanese fans prefer Ranka, compared to the english-speaking fans who prefer Sheryl.

I actually see this series ending with the mystery of the Vajra's origins solved, the Quarter remaining a pirate fleet, Grace killing Leon in the absolute most painful way possible, Ranka dying, Sheryl alive with Alto, but still terminally ill, and much else left open for some future series to carry on, though not with the same characters or fleet. That afterall is the Kawamori way!

and from there we'll have a Captain Harlock sequal, "Space Pirate Captain Wilder!" :lol:

I see a macross frontier season 2 featuring the macross galaxy and we'll have a macross to macross fight

PURE AWESOMENESS!!! XD

they'll only answer some of the big questions and leave many/some others for a season 2 as mf is enjoying a good fanbase XD

they could end in a macross zero way and answer the other questions in season 2 for all I care XD

just make these points definitive:

1.) end of the triangler (sheryl-alto-ranka)

2.) what is up with that planet in the end of episode 22

3.) some major character deaths and make them real dead

4.) what is it with all these vajra - what are they, what are their purpose, etc

then they could just go off to answer the other questions in season 2 with macross galaxy as the enemy - I think galaxy's screentime is really needed and introducing them in these last 3 episodes will really feel rushed.

Edited by shinkirou

I have one thing to say - If you are going to go AWOL, steal a ship with the power of the Quarter and call yourselves pirates, you could at least fly the good old Jolly Roger as well!

They're still probably arguing over the design. Bobby and Ozma probably want something that looks like Basara while Ram wants a snail while Monica is secretly working on one that looks like Cpt. Wilder.

I'm pretty sure the Galaxy fleet will be making an appearance in the final episode.

Frontier versus Galaxy. Gorg Leon versus Grace Laplamiz (or possibly the other way around).

I'm pretty sure the Galaxy fleet will be making an appearance in the final episode.

Frontier versus Galaxy. Gorg Leon versus Grace Laplamiz (or possibly the other way around).

Another 3 way battle eh ? Galaxy vs Frontier and SMS Macross Quarter/Vajra in the middle !

Edited by vanpang

If one is talking about Japanese to English (or viceversa), go with: http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dict

Result: 少佐【しょうさ】

(n) major; lieutenant commander; wing commander; (P)

Or Ask Jim Breen: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi

Results in: 少佐 【しょうさ】 (n) major; lieutenant commander; wing commander; (P) [Ex][G][GI][A][W]

少佐は大尉の上官である。 A major is above a captain.[Amend]

Going with the UNS = air force type ranks, then Wing Commander would be the appropriate translation.

Super Ostrich