Hang on! I thought that (insert persons name) was dead!

taksraven

I dunno if this has happened to anybody else here, but at times a person appears in the media who I thought was dead. An example of this happened to me last night. I was watching a doco about the comedy series Ripping Yarns and who should appear to talk about his role in the series, but Kenneth Colley. (aka Admiral Piett in Star Wars and Jesus in Life of Brian, he also played The Traveller in "Return to Waterloo".) Quite a shock since I believed that I had heard of his death several years ago. (I checked, and he is still alive)

This also happened with Dino De Laurentis years ago, when I heard reports that he had died.

Has anybody else had this happen to them. I think that in the pre-internet days a lot of incorrect deaths were reported and people were not able to check too easily. Its always wonderful to find out that a person believed dead is still alive.

Just wondering.

Taksraven

For some strange reason I thought Fred Ward was dead... but he isn't.

No, he is. He's like a Golem in that he's animated and can somewhat follow direction, but technically he's dead.

:EDIT:

Sorry, I thought you said Fred Willard.

Edited by eriku

I thought Wilford Brimley was dead like 15 years ago... Turns out he is traveling with the McCain campaign. SO AWESOME!

Dude, that guy has been old as long as I can remember. He was old in The Thing, which came out the year after I was born...

I remember thinkin he wasn't long for this world when I was 5.

Brimley is only like seventy... which is scary because he looked seventy when he was in his fourties. Diabeedus and all.

And just to tie my original post to Brimley, Fred Ward was Remo Williams in which Wilfred Brimley starred as well. Woo!

Edit: and for the longest time I still think James Hong is dead and Mako is still alive, but it's really the other way around.

Brimley is only like seventy... which is scary because he looked seventy when he was in his fourties. Diabeedus and all.

Just looked it up then and it was truly scary. He was born in 1934 which makes him a year younger than MY FATHER!! You are right. He has looked really old when he was in The Thing back in the 80's.

I was going to say that Barry Morse (Victor Bergman in Space:1999) was one of the oldest actors I could think of, but I just looked him up and he's dead! Died in February. Damn! Great actor.

Maybe I need to start the "Thought they were alive but they were actually dead thread."!

Just checked and Harry Morgan (Col. Potter from MASH) was still alive and kicking. (Hopefully not kicking his wife again that is) :lol:

That was a funny one. They did a story about Harry Morgan on a local radio station here in the 1990's and they started the story and second presenter groaned and said "Has he died??" and the newsreader continued with the story which turned out to be about his arrest for assaulting his wife. (To be fair, I think that they were both drunkenly fighting each other)

Taksraven

I didn't know Ernest Borgnine from Airwolf From Here to Eternity was still around until I saw Strange Wilderness.

FIXED! ('cause you might as well remember the guy's triumphs, rather than than the "Crap! How am I going to afford the heating bill on my indoor pool" roles...)

And...um...I thought he was dead. Really.

Heck, it did today. I was as amazed to here Bill Melendez was still around as I was saddened to be informed of this fact by his recent obituary.

My dad informed me that Col. Potter is still alive. I figured he'd passed long before I was even born.

Heck, it did today. I was as amazed to here Bill Melendez was still around as I was saddened to be informed of this fact by his recent obituary.

My dad informed me that Col. Potter is still alive. I figured he'd passed long before I was even born.

Harry Morgan was born in 1915, and he's been looking old since the days of black & white. Hope he makes it to at least 100. :)

Dude, that guy has been old as long as I can remember. He was old in The Thing, which came out the year after I was born...

I remember thinkin he wasn't long for this world when I was 5.

I am guessing he was an old bastard at 20... it makes no sense, he played a guy living in a retirement home in Cocoon in his mid 40's.

For a while, I thought Rick Astley was dead. Until someone decided to "Rick Roll" people online via YouTube.

HA! You could do that if he was dead anyway. There was an old trick that people used to do with old vinyl records where they would slow down Kylie Minogue songs and her slower voice would end up sounding like it was Rick Astley. Great stuff.

Taksraven